Greenwood signed new Contract | 2025 with option to extend 1 year

slored1

Great stuff. He's quietly becoming a more polished player than he was last season, he just lacks the finishing.

RedDevilzFox

Great stuff. He's quietly becoming a more polished player than he was last season, he just lacks the finishing.
If anything, he doesn't lack the finishing. Its his all round game that needs developing, movement, heading, holding the ball etc..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Great news. He’ll be our starting no.9 sooner rather than later.

siw2007

Happy with this news. Difficult season for him so far but he is simply one of the best young players in England, if not the world and looking forward to recapturing his form.

bsCallout

Really has turned his season around after the England debacle. Looks hungrier than ever. Ole needs to give him the minutes he deserves.

RashyForPM

If anything, he doesn't lack the finishing. Its his all round game that needs developing, movement, heading, holding the ball etc..
Previous poster is right. Finishing the the only thing Greenwood has lacked this season. His overall involvement including number of touches, successful dribbles, crosses, tracking back, link-up with Bruno, Cavani and AWB, are all rapidly improving from last season. Hope it continues. Meanwhile, he is wildly underperforming his XG to goal ratio this season after drastically over-performing it last season. There’s a fantastic article in The Athletic detailing this. When he regains his magnificent finishing ability, which he showed all the way from youth level to the end of last season, we’ll have an awesome player. No doubt in my mind that if he stays fit, we have one of the generational talents of today’s football.

Great decision to extend his contract.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Previous poster is right. Finishing the the only thing Greenwood has lacked this season. His overall involvement including number of touches, successful dribbles, crosses, tracking back, link-up with Bruno, Cavani and AWB, are all rapidly improving from last season. Hope it continues. Meanwhile, he is wildly underperforming his XG to goal ratio this season after drastically over-performing it last season. There’s a fantastic article in The Athletic detailing this. When he regains his magnificent finishing ability, which he showed all the way from youth level to the end of last season, we’ll have an awesome player. No doubt in my mind that if he stays fit, we have one of the generational talents of today’s football.

Completely agree, I do worry he doesn’t get into the game enough, not convinced that is strictly his fault though as we always attack on the left.

Delighted to see this! Well deserved.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His finishing has obviously been his stand out attribute but beyond that I’ve always been hugely impressed with how rounded his game is. He’s so quick and instinctual with his movement off the ball and footwork off it and he’s reminded me of Rooney on a number of occasions when he cuts inside and sprays a 40 yard pass to the opposite flank.

He‘s bulked out a bit this season which, like a lot of players who put on muscle, he hasn’t quite adapted to yet. It means he’s not quite as quick and nimble as he was and he’s not quite learnt how to use his strength to his advantage yet but when he does he will be unstoppable.

Manoucha09

Great news and hopefully a sign that we're getting contracts sorted in the right time rather than letting them drag on.

I don't necessarily agree that he's just missing the finishing, I simply don't remember him having as many clear cut chances this season. It'd be interesting if someone could post the xG stats but I think this may be one of those where the stats don't tell the whole story.

We need him to go back to his direct approach from last season, but his overall play has come on leaps and bounds.

Betson

At last a bit of good news , he is still learning and developing but it is very clear he has potential be a really top class player in the next few seasons..

Bwuk

Massive fan of Greenwood. I would love to see him given more of a shot at #9 assuming Diallo can come in and give us an option on the right. Greenwood is our best RW comfortably.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

I agree with the post quoted that says it's still the other parts of the game he needs to work on, although I also agree that his finishing hasn't been as good this season.

What we need from him is better movement in around the box. He's getting fantastic delivery into the box from Luke Shaw now and he needs to be getting on the end of some of them. He needs to be asking himself why he's never scored a header for us and also why he's virtually never scored in the 6 yard box for us (Sheffield United last year only one I can recall). He's missed a few chances he'd have put away last season but he's not getting himself into clear goalscoring positions like say Cavani does. He'll get there in time but that's where he needs to improve.

Anyway this is fantastic news.

RUCK4444

I agree with the post quoted that says it's still the other parts of the game he needs to work on, although I also agree that his finishing hasn't been as good this season.

What we need from him is better movement in around the box. He's getting fantastic delivery into the box from Luke Shaw now and he needs to be getting on the end of some of them. He needs to be asking himself why he's never scored a header for us and also why he's virtually never scored in the 6 yard box for us (Sheffield United last year only one I can recall). He's missed a few chances he'd have put away last season but he's not getting himself into clear goalscoring positions like say Cavani does. He'll get there in time but that's where he needs to improve.

Anyway this is fantastic news.
He needs to play in the no 9 role to really improve in his preferred position.

I’ve said many times I’m concerned with shunting him out to RW long term because I fear it will stunt his development somewhat, we are seeing that at tad this year imo.

The problem is we can’t let him stay at the no 9 position without scoring regularly, but I would certainly be looking to start giving him games in the no 9 role whenever we can. When resting Cavani etc.

Dave_MUFC

One noticeable thing this season is that he's grown really strong. See him regularly holding players off.

Once he gets the scoring ability back, he'll be lethal.