Greenwood vs Haaland

Do we really need Haaland when we have Greenwood ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We'd be lucky if Greenwood would ever even reach Haaland's current level, let alone improve to become a better player. In terms of potential/quality it is a no brainer but that doesnt mean sticking with Greenwood would be bad.

Fussball13251

Greenwood is always a starter. Of course we like to see Haaland playing alongside Greenwood.

Greenwood is on the cusp of world class.

Sancho, Haaland, Greenwood
Rashford, Haaland, Greenwood

Is pretty good.

Trust me Pep would love to sign Greenwood and may try to.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRdIYBSGxw

Last edited:

saivet

We have to go for Haaland. The only scenario where I think it may make sense not to pursue this would be if Greenwood scores circa 35+ goals in all competitions this season, playing predominately as a no.9. Firstly I'm not sure whether he will play a lot as a no.9 this season with Cavani and Martial and I highly doubt he is going to score a crazy number of goals where he needs to be a regular starter.

justsomebloke

If you can get haaland, you get haaland. He would replace pretty much any striker in the world.

if you want to win trophies you don’t pass up on a player of that calibre, especially when every top team would have him.
Also, an underrated factor in this is the relative scarcity of top strikers in the PL.

On the left flank for example, there are loads of top players, to the extent that every top team and quite a few of the lowlier has one (Son, Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Mane, St. Maximin, Richarlison etc).

Strikers? There's really only Kane and, probably, Lukaku. Then there's a bunch of the merely very good, which practically everyone have.

Hence, having an elite striker is even more important in terms of comparative advantage.

kaNNz

We'd be lucky if Greenwood would ever even reach Haaland's current level, let alone improve to become a better player. In terms of potential/quality it is a no brainer but that doesnt mean sticking with Greenwood would be bad.
if you watch how Greenwood is playing closely, you are likely to think that he is going to be even better than Haaland.Time will show.

Jacob

I created a similar thread and got slated. I however think Rashford is the one who will suffer from a Haaland signing. I think Pogba, Bruno and Greenwood are ahead of Rashford in terms of quality and what they offer to the team.

tomaldinho1

Ask this again at the end of the season and it’ll be very close for me. Mason has the highest ceiling of any attacking player I can think of - if he stays at 9 I think he’ll hit 20 goals this season.

Skåre Willoch

Greenwood, Sancho and Bruno as a fluid trio behind Haaland. We'd be unstoppable! Add Rashford for pace/something different, Diallo whenever he's ready, and we've got insane strength in depth as well.

Caesar2290

Should we sign Wayne Rooney? Surely we have a very talented wide forward in Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney is just going to hinder his development.

Okey

Where do Sancho and Rashford play in that scenario?
There's more than enough games for them to play, and could be anywhere up front. We need depth. Citeh just signed Grealish without asking these kinds of questions. That's who we're competing with.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
if you watch how Greenwood is playing closely, you are likely to think that he is going to be even better than Haaland.Time will show.
Is that when you don't watch Haaland?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Fun bit of trivia:

When Haaland moved to Salzburg he deliberately had his name changed from Håland to Haaland to make his name easier to write and pronounce for foreign journalists and fans.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You might not see it now. But the generational talent is Greenwood. If both were same age, people would much rather Greenwood. The age difference is only 3 years and by the looks of things it won’t take Greenwood 4-6 seasons to become a 20 plus goals a season striker. Other than “the grass is always greener on the other side” there is no need for a marquee striker when Cavani goes.
Haaland was born in 2000. Greenwood was born in 2001. Did you skip math classes in school? Or are you counting the difference in dog years? Because the difference quite clearly isn’t 3 years.

By your “at the same age" logic Greenwood needed to score 10+ in the previous CL campaign and become the CL top scorer this season to even be on par with Haaland.

Greenwood is good and exciting but nowhere near Haaland. Let's not overhype players just because they play for United. It's not even fair on the players to have this kind of ridiculous weight of expectation on their shoulders.

Skåre Willoch

As much as I love Greenwood, and believe he's an exceptional talent who'll be a key piece for us for years to come, he's nowhere near Haaland as of now.
He might get there, sure, but considering Haaland is still very young himself and will likely continue to improve, I find it hard to believe Greenwood will ever reach the same heights (at least scoring wise). Haaland is already one of the very best strikers in the world, Greenwood still has a long way to go before he can even be mentioned in that context.

That said, they're quite different players, and I believe they'll work great together in the same team.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I reckon Haaland will be the best player in the world in two-three years. Also, as Ole has hinted, Mason isn't a pure striker, he's an attacker. I don't really see his development being hindered by replacing Cavani with Haaland.

Signing Haaland for £65m next summer is an absolute no-brainer, even if it means insane wages and £20m to Raiola.

Steve 007

Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney

Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Solksjaer,

Mbappe, Messi, Neymar,

Sancho, Haaland, Greenwood

Greenwood is going to be amazing but he’s currently behind Haaland. Personally for 60 odd million Haaland is going to be a bargain and will be regarded as the best player in the world at some point. Great players adapt and play together. Yes I’m aware I shouldn’t mention Tevez and that Sheringham as great as he was isn’t world class, but he was still great.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Next season, United could potentially sell Martial & possibly Dan James too, as well as having Cavani leaving.
So if we signed Haaland, the pool of attackers would include Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford & Amad, and that would be very special...!!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Greenwood, Sancho and Bruno as a fluid trio behind Haaland. We'd be unstoppable! Add Rashford for pace/something different, Diallo whenever he's ready, and we've got insane strength in depth as well.

The only player that looks a bit dodgy in there is DVB. I hope he settles in quickly. Also even if you replace Haaland with Cavani it still looks impressive.

kaNNz

As much as I love Greenwood, and believe he's an exceptional talent who'll be a key piece for us for years to come, he's nowhere near Haaland as of now.
He might get there, sure, but considering Haaland is still very young himself and will likely continue to improve, I find it hard to believe Greenwood will ever reach the same heights (at least scoring wise). Haaland is already one of the very best strikers in the world, Greenwood still has a long way to go before he can even be mentioned in that context.

That said, they're quite different players, and I believe they'll work great together in the same team.
Haaland is a deadly striker, who can score goals for fun, but from what i have seen from Greenwood he is as good as Haaland infront of the goal, but he is an exceptional player at all.Great desicion making, great technique, two footed, overall better footballer.The player that come into the category of Greenwood is Foden from City.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Great point… Also Felix is 21 and will be 22 in 3 months. Vinicius is 21. Apart from those two ages and Greenwood’s as a few have been quick to point out, all goal stats are accurate for league. And just points out what a talent Greenwood is for his age, and his doing it at the highest level.
No thei're not. First, Haalands 39/14 stats have nothing to do with second or third division, thei're from Norways top division, age 16-18. Also I don't know why you pick his stats back to age 15, when you don't do similar with the others. Haalands stats from the point he left Norway age18 until now, are 91 goals in 88 matces.

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

Haaland is a deadly striker, who can score goals for fun, but from what i have seen from Greenwood he is as good as Haaland infront of the goal, but he is an exceptional player at all.Great desicion making, great technique, two footed, overall better footballer.The player that come into the category of Greenwood is Foden from City.
While I understand what you mean, I disagree. Haaland is the better player as of now, and it's not even close really.
Sure, Greenwood have more tools in his toolbox to potentially become a better, more complete footballer (as in more versatile), but as of right now Haaland is comfortably better. He's a freak of nature, and already a complete number 9. He can improve on his weak foot (even though he scores tonnes with his right foot as well), and his headers. But even his passing is class (look at his assist numbers), his hold up play is great, and his technique is miles better than some make it out to be. And again, he's just turned 21. He'll only continue to improve, unless he gets riddled with injuries.

I thought the Messi/CR7 records would be untouchable in my lifetime, but I honestly think Haaland can beat a bunch of them.

Hopefully Greenwood proves me wrong this season (and shows that he's actually better than Haaland), but Haaland is a likely Ballon d'Or contender already, so I think it's still some way to go for Mason.

Edit: Haaland doesn't score "tonnes" with his right foot, he scores fewer than I thought I remembered. But he still scores a few.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
While I understand what you mean, I disagree. Haaland is the better player as of now, and it's not even close really.
Sure, Greenwood have more tools in his toolbox to potentially become a better, more complete footballer (as in more versatile), but as of right now Haaland is comfortably better. He's a freak of nature, and already a complete number 9. He can improve on his weak foot (even though he scores tonnes with his right foot as well), and his headers. But even his passing is class (look at his assist numbers), his hold up play is great, and his technique is miles better than some make it out to be. And again, he's just turned 21. He'll only continue to improve, unless he gets riddled with injuries.

I thought the Messi/CR7 records would be untouchable in my lifetime, but I honestly think Haaland can beat a bunch of them.

Hopefully Greenwood proves me wrong this season (and shows that he's actually better than Haaland), but Haaland is a likely Ballon d'Or contender already, so I think it's still some way to go for Mason.

Edit: Haaland doesn't score "tonnes" with his right foot, he scores fewer than I thought I remembered. But he still scores a few.
Some great and underrated points about his play here. Compared to most other strikers (Rashford is in that mix), he doesn't seem to suffer from a tunnel vision when not necessary. Look at the neat across the box assist to Reyna vs Frankfurt.

Eli Zee

Vinicius Jr 19: 3 full La Liga seasons averages 3 goals each season, or 83 matches 9 goals. Cost £40m

Joa Felix 20: 58 matches 13 Goals. Cost over £100m

Kulusevski 21. 74 Matches 14 goals. Cost £35m

Halaand 21. 133 matches 93 Goals. Stats at the age of 18 39 matches 14 Goals many of which were in the second and 3rd division of Norway.

Greenwood 18, 66 matches 18 goals cost free.
You might not see it now. But the generational talent is Greenwood. If both were same age, people would much rather Greenwood. The age difference is only 3 years and by the looks of things it won’t take Greenwood 4-6 seasons to become a 20 plus goals a season striker. Other than “the grass is always greener on the other side” there is no need for a marquee striker when Cavani goes.

I didn't say he's not going to be a world class player. I love Greenwood.
I was just saying if Greenwood was at a different club, most people on red cafe wouldn't be hyping him up like they do now. Half of us probably wouldn't even know about him.

Pickle85

I was just saying if Greenwood was at a different club, most people on red cafe wouldn't be hyping him up like they do now. Half of us probably wouldn't even know about him.
Why? If you take even a passing interest in PL football you'd know of him, whether you support united or not. It's like saying that people that don't support Chelsea wouldn't know Hudson Odoi.

Haaland was born in 2000. Greenwood was born in 2001. Did you skip math classes in school? Or are you counting the difference in dog years? Because the difference quite clearly isn’t 3 years.

By your “at the same age" logic Greenwood needed to score 10+ in the previous CL campaign and become the CL top scorer this season to even be on par with Haaland.

Greenwood is good and exciting but nowhere near Haaland. Let's not overhype players just because they play for United. It's not even fair on the players to have this kind of ridiculous weight of expectation on their shoulders.
Well then the difference is less, so even less reason to be signing someone of a similar age. I’m actually still young enough to remember when United signed Ronaldo and after his 1st and 2nd year some fans were naming names to sign to play in his position. Now I’m not comparing anyone to Ronaldo, but the grass is greener elsewhere has always been a thing.

Doubt that’s true. 2 seasons ago there were probably loads of people on here fan boying over Havertz & Werner

No thei're not. First, Haalands 39/14 stats have nothing to do with second or third division, thei're from Norways top division, age 16-18. Also I don't know why you pick his stats back to age 15, when you don't do similar with the others. Haalands stats from the point he left Norway age18 until now, are 91 goals in 88 matces.
I need you to take a deep breath and relax. I’ve mentioned Halaand current stats, maybe in your excitement you missed it.

Marwood

There's more than enough games for them to play, and could be anywhere up front. We need depth. Citeh just signed Grealish without asking these kinds of questions. That's who we're competing with.
For players of a lower profile there might be enough games to go around but Rashford, Haaland, Sancho, Greenwood are types that could play for any of the major clubs.

They're not going to stay here in a backup role. It will be a backup role as well. It's a myth that clubs are constantly rotating their front three/four.

City will lose a player by signing Grealish. One of them will get fed up being on the bench.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
I need you to take a deep breath and relax. I’ve mentioned Halaand current stats, maybe in your excitement you missed it.
You were the one insisting that your stats were accurate. I pointed out your mistake. Simple as that. Would be better for you if you corrected your own mistakes and leave my breathing to me, okay?

Skåre Willoch

Vinicius Jr 19: 3 full La Liga seasons averages 3 goals each season, or 83 matches 9 goals. Cost £40m

Joa Felix 20: 58 matches 13 Goals. Cost over £100m

Kulusevski 21. 74 Matches 14 goals. Cost £35m

Halaand 21. 133 matches 93 Goals. Stats at the age of 18 39 matches 14 Goals many of which were in the second and 3rd division of Norway.

Greenwood 18, 66 matches 18 goals cost free.

I'm sorry, but what in the actual feck is this? :lol: Not only is it inaccurate/false/wrong, it's probably the worst example of cherry picking (not even sure I'd call it that) I've ever seen.

But since stats is seemingly your thing, lets do a much easier comparison. Let's compare their age 19 season (20/21 for Mason, 19/20 for Erling, you know, since they're only 15 months apart age wise, not three years). League and CL/EL.

"If both were same age" – well, here are the actual stats when they were same age.

Mason
League: 31 games / 1825 minutes. 7 goals, 2 assists. Point every 202 minutes.
CL/EL: 14 games / 919 minutes. 2 goals, 2 assists. Point every 230 minutes.

Erling
League: 29 games / 2042 minutes. 29 goals, 9 assists. Point every 54 minutes.
CL: 8 games / 554 minutes. 10 goals, 1 assist. Point every 50 minutes.

I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence of anything at all. But it paints a very different picture to whatever you were trying to prove in your post.

Eli Zee

Doubt that’s true. 2 seasons ago there were probably loads of people on here fan boying over Havertz & Werner
Greenwood is a teen.. people were talking about him for like the last 3+ years on here. Those guys are in their twenties.
Maybe I'm wrong. I just feel like in general people tend to hype up our youngsters and then they don't really make it the that top level.

Eli Zee

Why? If you take even a passing interest in PL football you'd know of him, whether you support united or not. It's like saying that people that don't support Chelsea wouldn't know Hudson Odoi.
There's definitely a lot people out there that only watch their team play. They dont have time to watch every team every game. Knowing about another teams's youth star in the making from reading about them vs actually watching them play is different.
Anyway, I was just saying we tend to hype our youngsters up so much and often times they move on to smaller clubs because they didn't reach that level. I'm sure Greenwood will be different though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm sorry, but what in the actual feck is this? :lol: Not only is it inaccurate/false/wrong, it's probably the worst example of cherry picking (not even sure I'd call it that) I've ever seen.

But since stats is seemingly your thing, lets do a much easier comparison. Let's compare their age 19 season (20/21 for Mason, 19/20 for Erling, you know, since they're only 15 months apart age wise, not three years). League and CL/EL.

"If both were same age" – well, here are the actual stats when they were same age.

Mason
League: 31 games / 1825 minutes. 7 goals, 2 assists. Point every 202 minutes.
CL/EL: 14 games / 919 minutes. 2 goals, 2 assists. Point every 230 minutes.

Erling
League: 29 games / 2042 minutes. 29 goals, 9 assists. Point every 54 minutes.
CL: 8 games / 554 minutes. 10 goals, 1 assist. Point every 50 minutes.

I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence of anything at all. But it paints a very different picture to whatever you were trying to prove in your post.
And Greenwood played as a winger .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Buy Haaland, switch to a 352 or 442 formation and play both together. I imagine it could work great, as Haaland is a very straightforward CF while Greenwood as mentioned before in this thread is much more versatile and able to do different thingsplaying off/around Haaland.

I just don't see Greenwood becoming a pure No 9 like Haaland, as he is also playing quite good on RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.