Group D (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria)

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
He’s not bad at all. He gives 7/10 for the national team. I dunno if it’s the brilliance Ndidi(Leicester) protecting the heart of the defence or the athleticism of the entire of the defence line. Leon did well against Dybala & Aguero when Argentina got spanked last November. He’s a starter debarring any injury.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. Hope Nigeria does well, one of my favourite African teams.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Funny thing is I'm in Iceland now for the weekend. :D

I think the lack of knowledge about us is our strength. Also assuming that we are similar to a Ghana side that has been in a rebuilding phase since 2014 and hasn't played well since.

This isn't our most talented Nigeria side but it is our most cohesive in a long time and I would venture and say its more cohesive then our 94 and 98 squads and better in all positions (except goalkeeper) than our 2014 squad.
I don't think anyone assumes Ghana are similar. It's more to get the "feel" of playing a Western African side more than anything. For example Scandinavian players are generally not massively different and neither are Scots from Irish when you compare them to an Italian or Brazilian. It's fair to say that they are somewhat similar physically although the quality of football might be very different.

You picked a time to come, there are elections this weekend so we might (hopefully) get a new mayor and council. Downtown will probably be full of people and it will probably rain most of the time you're here but at least it's not cold (to us at least).

IFC 1905

After playing yesterday in a crucial Copa Libertadores match, Maxi Meza will be joining the rest of the Argentinian delegation and complete the 23 players.

THAT shirt though :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Argentina couldn't find better opponents than Haiti last night. Reminds me of Brazil randomly playing Andorra before a world cup.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all around that area atm. Nothern Ireland would've been better preparation given they're as tough to break down as Iceland are.

RoyH1

Surprised Argentina couldn't find better opponents than Haiti last night. Reminds me of Brazil randomly playing Andorra before a world cup.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all around that area atm. Nothern Ireland would've been better preparation given they're as tough to break down as Iceland are.
Probably has to do with the fact that it's not easy to get European sides to travel to Latin America for friendlies and this was played in Buenos Aires.

Maybe team psychology plays into it too? Maybe Sampaoli wanted a 'feel-good' game before leaving for Europe. Imagine the Argentine press if they had drawn 0-0 or had a scrappy 1-0 victory with the likes of Northern Ireland? Instead they get a 4-0 with a hattrick by Messi.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably has to do with the fact that it's not easy to get European sides to travel to Latin America for friendlies and this was played in Buenos Aires.

Maybe team psychology plays into it too? Maybe Sampaoli wanted a 'feel-good' game before leaving for Europe. Imagine the Argentine press if they had drawn 0-0 or had a scrappy 1-0 victory with the likes of Northern Ireland? Instead they get a 4-0 with a hattrick by Messi.
Yeah true that, Haiti had Oldham legends Johnny Placide and Ducon Nazon playing for them anyhow.:lol:

Scotland played in Peru last night and Northern Ireland were in Panama so potential opponents there to warm up for Iceland.

RoyH1

Yeah true that, Haiti had Oldham legends Johnny Placide and Ducon Nazon playing for them anyhow.:lol:

Scotland played in Peru last night and Northern Ireland were in Panama so potential opponents there to warm up for Iceland.
Really! Wonders never cease. It's generally hard to find European opponents who are willing to play in the Americas (games in the US excepted of course).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really! Wonders never cease. It's generally hard to find European opponents who are willing to play in the Americas (games in the US excepted of course).
Yes thought Wales played in Mexico but game was played in Pasedena.

Remember England played Brazil in Maracena few years ago but you rarely see major euro nations doing South American tours which is a shame.

Chicharo

Any Argentinian on the forum to confirm what is really happening regarding the match against Israel? I know all about Palestinians, Sampaoli's reactions, but you will still go, right? I mean as I know, tickets are already sold out

IFC 1905

Any Argentinian on the forum to confirm what is really happening regarding the match against Israel? I know all about Palestinians, Sampaoli's reactions, but you will still go, right? I mean as I know, tickets are already sold out

As far as I know according to the media, the game will be played, there hasn't been doubts about it. Palestina released a statement complaining about the match.

Inter Yer Nan

I could see them going out in the group stages.

Hopefully not but I wouldn't be surprised.
Likewise. I think Messi's magic will be enough to get them through but they would be the least surprising big first round exit for me. If they come 2nd France will be licking their chops in the next round. I think the French would prefer them over Croatia.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Likewise. I think Messi's magic will be enough to get them through but they would be the least surprising big first round exit for me. If they come 2nd France will be licking their chops in the next round. I think the French would prefer them over Croatia.
Just a reminder, Croatia didn't get through from the group since 1998. We have been underwhelming usually at the WC. And I definitely don't think France would prefer Argentina over us.

Last edited:

Alexandre Pato

I have a really bad feeling for this tournament, if Gylfi and Aron can get fit then we have a chance but without them it will be difficult. Gylfi is expected to play against Norway tomorrow so hopefully he can get some match fitness. With that said we usually tend to do really badly in Friendlies so I don't know what to expect when we get to the tournament.

Snow

Gylfi reported fit and the coach said he'll probably feature today in the friendly against Norway.

I don't know what kind of secret drugs are out there that help professional players recover but in the past 2 years or so we've seen some really fast recoveries from players so either something is new or something is illegal.

Snow

Our kit is the dogs bollocks.:drool:
Great kit indeed. Why is it that Nigeria and Cameroon get so many nice and different looking kits? Other countries just more conservative, boring and afraid?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Salvio, Acuna... Argentina doing their best Manchester United impression by converting all these wingers into fullbacks.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Salvio, Acuna... Argentina doing their best Manchester United impression by converting all these wingers into fullbacks.
Acuña has played fullback a few times throughout the season and did well. Not well enough to earn starting for Argentina though

IFC 1905

Acuña wont play fullback, he'll play LW like Di Maria. Salvio will be a fullback but he won't even play if Mercado is ok. And if he does, he'll be almost a RW, like we've seen against Haiti.

I trust in these 3 more than in Higuain, Di Maria and Aguero

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I remember the Cameroon basketball shirts from years back.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I know everyone from the experts to pundits to fans and even caftards here have called this group as the Group of Death. Initially, I thought so. However, after analyzing the other groups, I think that Group F, Germany's group is the toughest and the real "Group of Death" but it's probably overlooked since Germany is the defending champion and overwhelming favourites to win the World Cup so its basically who will finish in second behind them. Mexico is a continental powerhouse who always make it to the round of 16, Sweden a decent European team who knocked out Italy in the playoffs and South Korea a top Asian team who can always give a good competitive game.

Back to this group, Argentina's poor form and over-reliance on Messi is a concern that have many believe that they might not even make it out of the group with the insanely talented Croatia, the plucky underdog Iceland and Nigeria who always give them a competitive game and even beat them recently in a friendly. However come tournament time, I feel that it will follow the script and its a matter of who finish first between Argentina and Croatia which all boils down to their game. I really don't rate Iceland at all, sorry to all our Icelanders here and Iceland fans, there is no quality in that team at all and they are just thriving on self-belief and that strength of unity which is what brought them so far in Euro 2016 and well done to them for carrying their form to the World Cup qualification, no one expected them to win their group ahead of Croatia and they did it but asking them to do it a third time would be too much. Opponents would have "figured" them out by now. Nigeria never seem to make it to the next round and for all their hype as an African "powerhouse", they are not as good as how people made them out to be. Think that Argentina and Croatia would make out of the group comfortably. Of course I could be wrong but I just don't rate Iceland and Nigeria at all.

Whether who will top the group, I'd give the edge to Argentina since they always finish as group winner in World Cup tournaments. International matches are also usually quite predictable and there are rarely upsets. Argentina would beat Iceland comfortably in the first game, beat or draw Croatia and beat Nigeria in the last game and qualify as group winner. Croatia would also beat Iceland and Nigeria but lose to Argentina. Argentina to finish first and Croatia second.

Reactions: Sultan

lysglimt

Scout
I fear that within 3-4 years - this Icelandic team will fall apart again. Their entire core is 28-34 - and other teams will start to figure them out - like Norway did yesterday.

Halfredsson is 33, Sævarsson is 33, Arnarson is 35, Haldorsson is 34, Sigurdsson is 28, Gislason is 30, R.Sigurdsson is 31, Bjarnarsson is 30, Skulasson is 35, Finnbogason is 29, Gunnarsson is 29, Gudmundson is 27, Fjoluson is 29 and Sigthorsson is 28

They have a golden generation - but their results in the last few games must be a concern, 9 goals against in their last 3 games against opposition which certainly isn't harder than they will meet in the world cup- doesn't sound too promising.

So Iceland will struggle - because this time noone will take them lightly.

Twingatz

I know everyone from the experts to pundits to fans and even caftards here have called this group as the Group of Death. Initially, I thought so. However, after analyzing the other groups, I think that Group F, Germany's group is the toughest and the real "Group of Death" but it's probably overlooked since Germany is the defending champion and overwhelming favourites to win the World Cup so its basically who will finish in second behind them. Mexico is a continental powerhouse who always make it to the round of 16, Sweden a decent European team who knocked out Italy in the playoffs and South Korea a top Asian team who can always give a good competitive game.

Back to this group, Argentina's poor form and over-reliance on Messi is a concern that have many believe that they might not even make it out of the group with the insanely talented Croatia, the plucky underdog Iceland and Nigeria who always give them a competitive game and even beat them recently in a friendly. However come tournament time, I feel that it will follow the script and its a matter of who finish first between Argentina and Croatia which all boils down to their game. I really don't rate Iceland at all, sorry to all our Icelanders here and Iceland fans, there is no quality in that team at all and they are just thriving on self-belief and that strength of unity which is what brought them so far in Euro 2016 and well done to them for carrying their form to the World Cup qualification, no one expected them to win their group ahead of Croatia and they did it but asking them to do it a third time would be too much. Opponents would have "figured" them out by now. Nigeria never seem to make it to the next round and for all their hype as an African "powerhouse", they are not as good as how people made them out to be. Think that Argentina and Croatia would make out of the group comfortably. Of course I could be wrong but I just don't rate Iceland and Nigeria at all.

Whether who will top the group, I'd give the edge to Argentina since they always finish as group winner in World Cup tournaments. International matches are also usually quite predictable and there are rarely upsets. Argentina would beat Iceland comfortably in the first game, beat or draw Croatia and beat Nigeria in the last game and qualify as group winner. Croatia would also beat Iceland and Nigeria but lose to Argentina. Argentina to finish first and Croatia second.

I'm sorry but you are highly incorrect about Nigeria. We have made it to the round of 16 more times than Croatia and more often than not since our debut in 1994 have made the round of 16 than get eliminated in the group stage.

We may not be playing our best football right now but come the World Cup we will make it out of the group.

Sorry but Croatia is overrated.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nigeria looked awful against England.

Iceland really struggling defensively and Glyfi isn't fully fit.

Think Argentina and Croatia will get through but it's the sort of group where I'd be amazed if either got the full 9 points which the likes of Brazil and France could do.

Eila

Croatia have disappointed every cup since 1998 but they do have many more quality players than the likes of Nigeria and Iceland.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just saw that Icardi is not called. I guess that regardless of the coach, Argentina never fails to make idiotic decisions when it comes to choosing the right team. Unsurprisingly, it has been almost three decades since they won the last trophy.

Jim Beam

Just saw that Icardi is not called. I guess that regardless of the coach, Argentina never fails to make idiotic decisions when it comes to choosing the right team. Unsurprisingly, it has been almost three decades since they won the last trophy.
If the rumour is true and the reason is that Messi personally doesn't like him it makes it even more ridiculous.

Revan

Assumptionman
If the rumour is true and the reason is that Messi personally doesn't like him it makes it even more ridiculous.
Messi is not a manager though and has already played in 7 tournaments but couldn't win one. If I was Messi I would have asked him to shut the feck up and mind his own business, choosing players is not his own business. He might be the greatest player in the world, but if you go 7 tournaments without winning 1, you have absolutely no right on choosing players (if you ever had).

I thought that Sampaoli would be better at this shit, but guess not.

Jim Beam

Messi is not a manager though and has already played in 7 tournaments but couldn't win one. If I was Messi I would have asked him to shut the feck up and mind his own business, choosing players is not his own business. He might be the greatest player in the world, but if you go 7 tournaments without winning 1, you have absolutely no right on choosing players (if you ever had).

Nope. They will have Messi there, Dybala on the bench and Icardi home.

It seems more like a case of not wanting to work together than a tactical one. As for Sampaoli, yeah, thought the same.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nope. They will have Messi there, Dybala on the bench and Icardi home.

It seems more like a case of not wanting to work together than a tactical one. As for Sampaoli, yeah, thought the same.
Sorry, I meant if I was manager wouldn't have listen to Messi. Messi might be a great player but he is not a manager, and when things go wrong, he sulks instead of leading.

Jim Beam

Sorry, I meant if I was manager wouldn't have listen to Messi. Messi might be a great player but he is not a manager, and when things go wrong, he sulks instead of leading.

My 'nope' in the post was the answer to you questioning Sampaoli
So, I have the same opinion. I don't understand how they can't put differences aside. And to be honest, also not sure how most people in Argentina don't question this. Maybe they know something more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
TBF Icardi wasn't really in that great form at the end of the season and he missed loads of chances v Venezuela.

Not much difference between him and Higuain imo.

Edit: Don't think many of thr Argie fans like Icardi much either. Was watching a fan video of one of the games he played and they were all calling him "puta" after he missed one of his chances. :lol:

Jim Beam

TBF Icardi wasn't really in that great form at the end of the season and he missed loads of chances v Venezuela.

Not much difference between him and Higuain imo.

Edit: Don't think many of thr Argie fans like Icardi much either. Was watching a fan video of one of the games he played and they were all calling him "puta" after he missed one of his chances. :lol:
Would love to have a video of Higuain final then :D

It is not so much that he has to be in first 11, but not even called? Imagine Higuain injured and Icardi at home. Doesn't make sense to me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would love to have a video of Higuain final then :D

It is not so much that he has to be in first 11, but not even called? Imagine Higuain injured and Icardi at home. Doesn't make sense to me.
You have Aguero aswell don't forget. Never really shown a huge amount for Argentina but him and Messi have linked well at times.