Group D (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Argentina have a chance as long as they don't play Higuain and play Aguero instead.

I'm liking that forward line. Excited to see more of Meza.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One has to say, the Argentina generation that won the Olympics has bit a bit of a disappointment. So many nearly moments. I thought they would win a WC.

Vindal

Why on earth haven't they put Dybala on? Having Higuain on accomplishes nothing when being unable to create chances...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Chuffed for Iceland, what a fairytale they’ve had these last two years. Wouldn’t put it past them to beat Nigeria either and put up a good fight against Croatia.

Bole Top

Argentina are awful but I think they will find it easier against us and Nigeria. this was basically Barca vs Chelsea, almost impossible to penetrate.

bad penalty from Messi, don't really blame him for the rest though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Quality defending and goalkeeping from Iceland. I'll never agree that there isn't entertainment in a team holding on for dear life.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Brilliant effort from Iceland, but that became normality in these last 2 years.

Don't know how anyone can dislike them.

Eila

Cheering for Croatia next. Hope they beat Argentina and screw them.

Snafu17

Messi basically had the exact same performance as Pogba except he didn't manage to force a goal.

fellaini's barber

@Snow I told you none of our(Nigeria) opponents are that good, if we are even slightly decent and not totally shit we'll beat one of Croatia or Argie. Only people I feel can beat Iceland now might be Croatia, will judge after our game but the chances of Iceland finishing this group without a loss is high. This had made things very interesting. No one in this group is all that as most people made out, we have as much chance of topping this group any of the other teams , hoping we give it our best shot

Last edited:

Utdstar01

You'd think Argentina would have more of a game plan that just 'pass to Messi'. Would love to see total players touches to see how much of the ball he had compared to his team mates.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
And now Senors y senoritas....the Argentina reality check.

Aside from saving penalties, Caballero is a very average keeper.

Rojo and Otamendi will always give you a chance at CB.

The full backs are pretty average and one of them is an actual winger.

Mascherano-Biglia combination makes my eyes hurt.

Kun scored a lovely goal but if he has no space to run into he struggles to make an impact.

Di Maria is a real fair weather player. Completely hides when things get tough.

Add in Messi having a poor game and you get a 1-1 with Iceland.

This was Argies's banker three points surely as Croatia will match them technically and Nigeria have had tight games in past world cups. Interesting how this group will pan out from this point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope we beat Croatia. Fancy us nicking a draw with Argentina.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
@Snow I told you none of our(Nigeria) opponents are that good, if we are even slightly decent and not totally shit we'll beat one of Croatia or Argie. Only people I feel can beat Iceland now might be Croatia, will judge after our game but the chances of Iceland finishing this group without a loss is high. This had made things very interesting. No one in this group is all that as most people made out, we have as much chance of topping this group any of the other teams , hoping we give it our best shot
There's no bad team in this group. That's what makes this group so difficult.

Iceland managed to stop Messi for the most part today and no other player stepped up to relieve Messi of carrying the whole attack. I'm not sure Croatia will face them as well as we did. This match has been in preparation for a long time and despite the performance Argentina could have won it.

Portugal drew against Iceland in the Euros and then won the competition however they qualified from group as a 3rd placed team which isn't possible at the WC. I wouldn't sell anyone short. Argentina and Croatia are both stacked with top players and you guys aren't as good at the back as us but you're very physical which you should use to your advantage.

edcunited1878

Is it expected for Croatia and Nigeria to come out more against Argentina? If Argentina just plays a counter style formation and mindset with Messi behind Aguero, di Maria/Dybala and Meza or whoever on the left and right channel with Banega and Mascherano or two traditional mids sitting deep, spraying outlets to those four, they can run the game.

But too much standing around from Messi and company today. Messi way too far from goal and even if he took down that chip pass cleanly after his run from midfield, that's not sustainable throughout the tournament. Fair play to Iceland for solid transitions into attack and taking their chance.

Bole Top

we'll probably have more possession that Argies so it'll force them to play differently and perhaps even make them more dangerously then today. certainly not as predictable like today. the thing is, we probably can't defend like Iceland can and we won't even try to play that way. they'll have more space than today, that's fore sure.

RoyH1

When the plan is just give it to nr.10, a well coached and fit team is always going to give you problems. Well done Iceland.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Croatia can match Argentina technically and they have more quality upfront than Iceland. Really looking forward to that game next week.

Nigeria have lots of pace for the counter attacks but will need to improve from their friendly performances. They gave Argentina a really good game at last world cup when they were much better defensively.

Charles Miller

Argentina should try to finish second. If they top the group they stay in that side of the wc where you need to beat Spain then Germany to reach a final.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I've always thought that when Argentina face an opponent like this plan B should be to put Messi on the left wing. This would force teams to either double team him which would open up space in the middle, or allow Messi to put cross after cross into the box.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The second fixtures in this group make it all more interesting. I think Croatia are better than Nigeria (let’s see tonight though) and Argentina will find it hard to beat them. On the other hand Iceland have a realistic chance against Nigeria too, and if both of them win then they will just need to draw with each other on the final day to go through.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I've always thought that when Argentina face an opponent like this plan B should be to put Messi on the left wing. This would force teams to either double team him which would open up space in the middle, or allow Messi to put cross after cross into the box.
Yes, cross after cross after cross...for Aguero and Banega, against 6 Iceland players the shortest of which is 1.90m

ti vu

Yes, cross after cross after cross...for Aguero and Banega, against 6 Iceland players the shortest of which is 1.90m
Icardi would have help knowing how to camp inside a packed box full of defenders

FattyFooty

I know this will be hated on, but here it goes.

Would Argentina been better of with Dybala than Messi today?
It looks like when Argentina plays everything is suppose to go trough Messi, He runs with the ball in hes feet, misses penalty, its not really that bad, but its really far from very good too.

Im thinking they would look more like a team with him off the field today. Ofcourse to bench him is kinda absurd. And before the game ofcourse he should play.

It just looked like he was kinda on the breaks for hes team today.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Hope Nigeria stuff Iceland .

Croatia and Nigeria top two.
This is how I feel.

I don't want to see Iceland advance at all and it would be great if Croatia and Nigeria can make it to the knockouts

padr81

Supports
Man City
Argentina have big issues but I think they'll qualify in the end. Aguero takes the penalty they go ahead and Messi has had a solid 6/10 games and everything is rosy.

Their big issue is everything having to go through Messi makes them easy to defend against. Iceland did it easy, 3 men where Leo is, job done.
4 times I think Di Maria touch the ball and everytime on the wing when he could have crossed for Kun he looked to roll the ball back to the edge of the box for Messi. Everytime intercepted, I think when we look at the poorish records of Kun, Higuaín etc.. for Argentina maybe it times to realise they never get the ball.

For me Aguero was easily Argentina's most dangerous player today but rarely was he given the ball. It was more get the ball to Leo at all costs and as no.9 for them it must feel frustrating knowing no matter what run you make, unless the ball is coming from Leo, you're not getting it as it's going to him.

I fancy them to beat Nigeria who will be a bit more naïve, Croatia could go either way depending on how offensive and defensive they are.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is how I feel.

I don't want to see Iceland advance at all and it would be great if Croatia and Nigeria can make it to the knockouts
Their results are amazing but my God are they everything you wouldn't want to coach a kid tactically (work rate aside)