Group D (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
This game is why Argentina wouldn't do anything in knock outs. Can you imagine then against Spain, France or Brazil?

Minimalist

Iceland surely to have a week long national holiday if they make the knock-out stages? :lol: (not that there's anyone there I imagine)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Wow. Nothing left of that fortress Argentina was at the last world cup.

Zen

Argentina are so relentlessly spineless it's scary. How they managed the final in 2014 astonished me, how they've made two Copa finals is insane because they've played pretty tame throughout all of that. Messi distracts opponents so much that it plays a part in that runner up success - but it's been well and truly figured out....you need to utilize him different now, not being endlessly dependent on him.

That lack of spine been there for a while though, coming from England...should know all about it. I'd love to face them in a knockout game at the moment.

Acole9

Outstanding
Didn't they struggle in qualifying? Bet some of them wish they hadn't bothered. Even if they did scrape through, they'd get destroyed in the next round.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The thing is that it's not surprising at all. Argentina have been playing terribly for a while. I just don't understand the surprise displayed by journos and pundits. You don't magically turn a magical button easily. Yes some teams did it in the past but it doesn't happen often.
They have no spine, no tactical plan, no composure, no fighting spirit. That last goal conceded is a disgrace, they let Caballero fend for himself. Good riddance

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wasn't before?
No I meant pretty much everyone savaged Nigeria for their no show v Croatia (although dosen't look so bad after tonight's game). Not sure if you live in England but that's the reaction in u.k to your game.

Thought you were woeful first half v England aswell. Awful Ighalo upfront, Moses diving all over the place, disputes at previous world cups over getting paid, I remain sceptical you'll get anything off even this Argentina but you'll probably draw Iceland and give them a free pass into round of 16.

Kapardin

The thing is that it's not surprising at all. Argentina have been playing terribly for a while. I just don't understand the surprise displayed by journos and pundits. You don't magically turn a magical button easily. Yes some teams did it in the past but it doesn't happen often.
They have no spine, no tactical plan, no composure, no fighting spirit. That last goal conceded is a disgrace, they let Caballero fend for himself. Good riddance
Think if they had Romero in goal, Icardi up top and Dybala instead of Messi, they might have fared better. Messi is a great player but I am not sure he's helping the Argentinian team at the moment.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Moses was disgusting against Croatia. Diving all over the place. Disgusting. Also they barely looked bothered. Hope they get a point against Argentina though because the 'tines are just awful.
Argentina will beat them 2-0.

Can certainly see Iceland getting two draws but that wouldn't be enough.

izec

Argentina will win the last game when it doesnt matter and they are already out and Sampaoli puts in a normal team with some youngsters

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I hope Iceland beat Nigeria. I think they can. By even 2-3 goals.
Iceland struggle more when they're the favourites to win. Snow will give more info on their mindset but in qualifying they were only beating the minnows in the group by odd goal.

Nigeria can physically match them tomorrow and also have quick players for counter attack. Depends on their attitude but if it's right think Iceland will struggle a bit with the increased expectations.

Zen

Croatia-Iceland is destined to be an epic "fix" kind of game, and well why not....why should Croatia allow Argentina to potentially marginal momentum and stay in the tournament.

Argentina are begging for a Nigeria win. Stays in their hands, but good lord, can they even turn this shambles around? And hell when was the last time they played well enough to pull off a decent win anyway?

alsabi

Argentina World Cup finalists in 2014... seems very long ago.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Argentina shouldn't have been at this world cup.

Italy and Netherlands read the memo and saved themselves the embarrassment.
Well, no, we tried :lol: Argentina still had Messi bailing them out in their final qualifier, we had Immobile hitting all the pigeons in the stands :mad:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No I meant pretty much everyone savaged Nigeria for their no show v Croatia (although dosen't look so bad after tonight's game). Not sure if you live in England but that's the reaction in u.k to your game.

Thought you were woeful first half v England aswell. Awful Ighalo upfront, Moses diving all over the place, disputes at previous world cups over getting paid, I remain sceptical you'll get anything off even this Argentina but you'll probably draw Iceland and give them a free pass into round of 16.
I don't live in England.

I was surprised at our inability to create chances. The errors killed us at the back but those can always be mitigated by play going forward. Iwobi needs to improve or be benched. Moses needs to stay on his feet, and more importantly, Ndidi and his partner need to impose themselves in midfield.

matecro007

Im buzzing right now , it fecking feels great. Fantastic teamwork. Luka bravo majstore!! MOTM for me Brozo because he had Messi pinned down.
Now back to drikiing,
Adios Messi , ajmo Vatreni!!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't live in England.

I was surprised at our inability to create chances. The errors killed us at the back but those can always be mitigated by play going forward. Iwobi needs to improve or be benched. Moses needs to stay on his feet, and more importantly, Ndidi and his partner need to impose themselves in midfield.
Ah makes more sense. Bascially ITV/BBC pundits (forget which one screened it) basically called your performance a disgrace.

First search here reveals it was ITV.

https://twitter.com/search?q=itv on nigeria&src=typd&lang=en

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I hope Iceland beat Nigeria. I think they can. By even 2-3 goals.
it will be another low score draw imho, both teams solid and disciplined (apart of the usual brain fart at back) but ineffective upfront

Devil81

Fingers crossed Iceland grab a win tomorrow, then Iceland and Croatia can happily play out a friendly game and secure first and second spot.

Gasolin

Wait what's the worst and best case scenario for Argentina now? This was totally unexpected...

alsabi

Wait what's the worst and best case scenario for Argentina now? This was totally unexpected...
Best case - qualify in second place with four points. Worst case - finish bottom of the group with one.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They need Nigeria to win tomorrow. If they do and Argentina beat Nigeria, then Argentina will qualify unless Iceland beat Croatia. Similar applies if it's a draw.

All but out if Iceland win.

The Firestarter

They need Nigeria to win tomorrow. If they do and Argentina beat Nigeria, then Argentina will qualify unless Iceland beat Croatia. Similar applies if it's a draw.

All but out if Iceland win.
Why? If Iceland win tomorrow and lose in the last game they end with 4. If Argentina wins with a big score against Nigeria then they can get through.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why? If Iceland win tomorrow and lose in the last game they end with 4. If Argentina wins with a big score against Nigeria then they can get through.
Yes that could happen. I think though Croatia will put out weakened team as they had lots of players booked tonight so another yellow and they'd lose a few for knock out game.

tomaldinho1

group has become very juicy

If Argentina actually played with a couple of CMs they'd be ok, they're setup in such a weird way they just have zero control of possession + no target man for direct play, I don't really get their system (or attempted system)

Ban

It's amazing how much of a shambles is that Argentina team. No plan, no cohesion, no idea what to do. Not only that but they were pretty dirty tonight and ref was horrible. That doesn't take anything from our win of course. Had a great game, especially Mandža and Raketa. Modrić copied a goal vs United at OT. Great he turned that twat Otamendi for the goal.
We should go for the win in the last game although point is enough, depending on the result from tomorrow of course.
Argentina can go through still of course but if they'll play like that they wont even beat Nigeria.
Sampaoli is one crazy dude, he looks like a narco dealer, we were pissing in laughter every time we saw him on the screen. Not to mention he was out of his technical area all the time but ref didnt warn him once.

I like the fact Dalić is taking down the euphoria which willl of course now emerge. He's playing it down and is taking one game at a time. I dont think of course we'll go all the way, that was booze talking, but we're a properly good team, that's for sure.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Assuming the manager isn't fired/whacked overnight, he should drop the entire back three for quitting on that third goal.

Last edited: