Group D (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Aron moved like a quarterback in his pocket. He didn't get around much and to start him was probably a mistake but maybe having to change 3 midfielders between games was a bit too much.

We also needed that 3rd sub that was wasted on that head injury. 3 player injuries in 3 games is not good for this squad. At the Euros there was no such changes between matches. We needed more luck this tournament but you can ask to be lucky in a tournament like this. There's still one more game and a you can't qualify unless you win a match (unless you're Portugal then you win the Euros)
Good point, yeah smaller nations have to rely on one or two players and losing them is hard.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Thought Nigeria would do well today, thought it would be a good match up for them v Iceland with their pace and power. Only saw the second half but Iceland really struggled with the counter attacks.

You'd assume then with their pace they'd be a terrible opponent for Argentina but I'm not so sure. Croatia could more than match Argentina technically in midfield, with the greatest of respect I can't see Mikel and Ndidi doing that.

Think today's result was Argentina's get out of jail card and I think they'll scrape into second.
:lol: More like Croatia toyed with the trash that is in Argentina's midfield and defense. With how half-assed Messi plays and terrible tactics by Argentina, I can see them getting murdered on the counter. Of course, I might have jinxed Nigeria with this post.

Twingatz

Thought Nigeria would do well today, thought it would be a good match up for them v Iceland with their pace and power. Only saw the second half but Iceland really struggled with the counter attacks.

You'd assume then with their pace they'd be a terrible opponent for Argentina but I'm not so sure. Croatia could more than match Argentina technically in midfield, with the greatest of respect I can't see Mikel and Ndidi doing that.

Think today's result was Argentina's get out of jail card and I think they'll scrape into second.
Argentina's midfield isn't that great and you are underestimating this team. They will come out and play and win. Argentina is overdue a competitive L vs us.

This win wasn't Argentina's get out of jail free card but a win for Nigeria and a means for us to advance from the group.

Ban

Chances of Iceland progressing are close to none. Nigeria or Argentina with Nigeria needing only a point.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now argentina putting pressure on us to select best team vs iceland. Argentina talking about fair play. Argentina that selecting b team four years ago. Argentina whos players showed zero class and zero fair play against us. If i am dalic i would select b team and rotate positions to all players. In attack 2 goalkeepers, attackers in defence, etc....

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Now argentina putting pressure on us to select best team vs iceland. Argentina talking about fair play. Argentina that selecting b team four years ago. Argentina whos players showed zero class and zero fair play against us. If i am dalic i would select b team and rotate positions to all players. In attack 2 goalkeepers, attackers in defence, etc....
That's why there are 23 player squads. Any players selected from the squad in Russia is fair play.

Ban

They shoud piss off. They were dirty as they come so they should just shut their mouth.

Walters_19_MuFc

Massive game for Argentina tomorrow. Nigeria looked really good against Iceland and beat Argentina 4-2 in a friendly quite recently. I think they will go out tomorrow.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Modric is playing apparentley?!! What a idiotic move. Can't believe that we are that stupid.

lolok

Massive game for Argentina tomorrow. Nigeria looked really good against Iceland and beat Argentina 4-2 in a friendly quite recently. I think they will go out tomorrow.
Argentina's manager is clueless. Argentina not only has to overcome Nigeria, but likely a terrible team selection and tactics by Sampaoli. (And yet people will blame Messi.) Nigeria @ +525 (21/4) to win seems like amazing value.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Argentina's manager is clueless. Argentina not only has to overcome Nigeria, but likely a terrible team selection and tactics by Sampaoli. (And yet people will blame Messi.) Nigeria @ +525 (21/4) to win seems like amazing value.
Messi contributes nothing for 2 games, yet somehow all Argentina's problems are not his fault at all, he's blameless for missing the penalty, it's all the fault of the manager, the team mates, the FA, the opposition, etc.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Messi contributes nothing for 2 games, yet somehow all Argentina's problems are not his fault at all, he's blameless for missing the penalty, it's all the fault of the manager, the team mates, the FA, the opposition, etc.
It's very strange. It's not as if Messi has been playing great and let down by the team. He is part of the problem at the moment, and it might be best to reduce his influence and play him further forward as a pure attacker.

The Argentina setup seems to worship him, and treats him as a god that can do everything on the pitch. The reality is that Messi was at his best under Guardiola and Enrique where he was a part of the forward line, not as a psuedo midfielder.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's very strange. It's not as if Messi has been playing great and let down by the team. He is part of the problem at the moment, and it might be best to reduce his influence and play him further forward as a pure attacker.

The Argentina setup seems to worship him, and treats him as a god that can do everything on the pitch. The reality is that Messi was at his best under Guardiola and Enrique where he was a part of the forward line, not as a psuedo midfielder.
When he had Xavi and Iniesta who could carry some of the creative load? Sure.

Ban

Love this stuff. Keep it going guys. We have 3,4 threads about the same thing.

0161_UNITED

Argentina's midfield isn't that great and you are underestimating this team. They will come out and play and win. Argentina is overdue a competitive L vs us.

This win wasn't Argentina's get out of jail free card but a win for Nigeria and a means for us to advance from the group.
I’m with you, hope you light ‘em up!

Walters_19_MuFc

I wouldn't say Messi is the problem, but he certainly hasn't helped. Messi has been poor, and hasn't been able to step up when needed.

lolok

Yes, because it all starts with the manager. Messi didn't pick the 23 man squad, nor the lineup, nor the tactics. Sampaoli does. Messi wasn't involved in the 6-1 and 4-2 beatings from Spain and Nigeria. THe problems go deeper than Messi, and it starts with the manager. It is up to the manager to put his players in the best possible chance to succeed. Finally today, he goes with a 4-3-3, gets Messi out wide to free him up, and starts Banega and benches rid of Willy. This manager has been making a ton of questionable decisions, and the primary blame goes to the manager. United fans of all people should realize that a poor manager can handicap a team with poor tactics. We know first hand the difference SAF can make, compared to a Moyes. Managers matter.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
My complete Stages of Maradona collection

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecking gutted to be honest.
Hope Ighalo never plays for us again. Stick to China mate.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes, because it all starts with the manager. Messi didn't pick the 23 man squad, nor the lineup, nor the tactics. Sampaoli does. Messi wasn't involved in the 6-1 and 4-2 beatings from Spain and Nigeria. THe problems go deeper than Messi, and it starts with the manager. It is up to the manager to put his players in the best possible chance to succeed. Finally today, he goes with a 4-3-3, gets Messi out wide to free him up, and starts Banega and benches rid of Willy. This manager has been making a ton of questionable decisions, and the primary blame goes to the manager. United fans of all people should realize that a poor manager can handicap a team with poor tactics. We know first hand the difference SAF can make, compared to a Moyes. Managers matter.
Did I ever say the manager doesn't matter? But shouldn't Messi share some of the blame for those first 2 games?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Group was good. Almost all of the games were close and games decided by many little moments. I don't think that Nigeria or Iceland were worse than Argentina but Croatia easily deserved to top.

For me I thought Iceland performed as expected. The difference this tournament was poor finishing and we scored less despite creating more chances. I wonder how it would have played out if everyone had been fit but they gave us a good World Cup. I'm disappointed but not unhappy.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
About the handball...if the guy had converted his chance when that happened, they'd be through.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Historic result for us in arguably the toughest group of the Tournament. @Jim Beam
Have Croatia people put the bile towards Modric/Lovren on hold for this tournament out of interest?

Keep the politics out of this and Croatia can have a great WC, the quality is there.

Ban

Have Croatia people put the bile towards Modric/Lovren on hold for this tournament out of interest?

Keep the politics out of this and Croatia can have a great WC, the quality is there.
I don't know about the rest but I hope we have a historic result and they get sentenced afterwards.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Seriously find this heartbreaking.

Don't want him found dead in some random hotel room somewhere. He looks as high as a kite.
I'm in a hope for the best mindstate. I and many family and friends always have fun during the world cup, sometimes drinking too much and acting melodramatic. Hopefully just some World Cup fun times.

Hansa

For me I thought Iceland performed as expected. The difference this tournament was poor finishing and we scored less despite creating more chances. I wonder how it would have played out if everyone had been fit but they gave us a good World Cup. I'm disappointed but not unhappy.
It's all a bit 'Nordic'. If you look at the NTs of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and to a lesser degree, Denmark, we always do well when most factors are in place: Home ground, well rested, well drilled, up against a team which wants to win the game themselves and slightly underestimates you, etc. Once you get to a tournament, and some of the factors change (neutral ground, tournament fatigue, unusual opposition, playing against packed defences, etc), we always become a bit more hit and hope, a little bit less skilful, and so on.

Overall, Iceland did ok. Not brilliant, not embarrassing.

Ban

I see what you did there :lol: Once in a lifetime my friend!

Just hope we get past Denmark and then, whatever happens, happens with Spain.
Yup. Whatever happens after that is a bonus.. I'll be nervous on Sunday that's for sure.. And I don't like it.