Group E (Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
After seeing them tonight, don't see Costa Rica doing anything this World cup. Could well finish bottom of their group which was expected last time.
Look like a faded force compared to 2014. Can't see them qualifying.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Look like a faded force compared to 2014. Can't see them qualifying.
I will be surprised if they get more than 1 point. They have been very poor, even lost to Tunisia recently.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Should be an interesting battle for the 2nd spot between Switzerland and a serbian national team who is on their way up recently.

R'hllor

Matic just posted some writings about his phone/number being hacked, not sure why media placing it in section regarding WC.

cyril C

It's true. They topped the Group of Death and they were knocked out only on penalties in the quarter-finals.

At this time, they will face theorically an easier group, but they are still being seen as the dark horses.
Easier group? This is just about as hard as you can get. The weakest team is probably Swiss but they are not walk over, your team need to turn up in order to beat the Swiss, which you must. Because you can easily drop points to the other 2. I would say 2nd place is hardest to guess, I bet on Serbia.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
Easier group? This is just about as hard as you can get. The weakest team is probably Swiss but they are not walk over, your team need to turn up in order to beat the Swiss, which you must. Because you can easily drop points to the other 2. I would say 2nd place is hardest to guess, I bet on Serbia.
According to a Brazilian perspective, I'd say this group is perfect for Brazil. It isn't as hard as we must work like an ant to make it through; it isn't as easy as we cannot warm up enough to prepare us for the other big bosses of the competition. Even though no one of them must be underestimated like pushovers, I don't really think Brazil is bound to drop any point to anyone there... perhaps against Serbia in the last match if Tite decides to spare some players to the next stage. I just say that because this Brazilian squad is very strong and they don't seem overconfident to belittle their opponents.

As to Costa Rica, they don't look like as good as they were in 2014 as far as I could realize not only in their last matches but also in the Qualifier ones. But they may bounce back in time, who knows?

3pwood

You can't be serious! they're the strongest. Costa Rica have been awful
Brazil will score 5 or 6 goals against Costa Rica

cyril C

According to a Brazilian perspective, I'd say this group is perfect for Brazil. It isn't as hard as we must work like an ant to make it through; it isn't as easy as we cannot warm up enough to prepare us for the other big bosses of the competition. Even though no one of them must be underestimated like pushovers, I don't really think Brazil is bound to drop any point to anyone there... perhaps against Serbia in the last match if Tite decides to spare some players to the next stage. I just say that because this Brazilian squad is very strong and they don't seem overconfident to belittle their opponents.

As to Costa Rica, they don't look like as good as they were in 2014 as far as I could realize not only in their last matches but also in the Qualifier ones. But they may bounce back in time, who knows?
My definition of EASIER or DIFFICULT, is about difficult to beat on the other teams, and difficulty to predict the 2nd team. I don't expect Brazil will give us surprise, at least not in group stage anyway.

Costa Rica might not be as good as last time but who picked them last time? CR has the capability to score and this is unpredictable, not to Brazil of course. Serbia has the discipline at the back and MF and would probably beat the other 2, and might get lucky against Brazil as well if Brazil decided to rest their key players. Swiss isn't a Swiss knife anymore but their physical game can give you trouble.

SER19

Serbia have a good team, and a middle three to compete with any.

Charles Miller

Interestingly, Coutinho played in midfield in Brazil's last friendly. Maybe some last minute changes by Tite?
It was tested since the last games in the wc qualifiers. In the group stage the team will be:
Casemiro
Paulinho Coutinho
Willian Gabriel Jesus Neymar
In knockout games is possible that Fernandinho will start.

cyberman

No match thread for this?
It seems Brazil doesn't have much imagination in their side.
Costa Rica are comfortably keeping them at arms length

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brazil surely have to mix up their team now. Three forwards + Coutinho is far top heavy especially for knock outs. Add in Paulinho who's instinct is to get to edge of the box and they'll have issues against a genuine big hitter.

Reminds me of 2006 when they tried to fit Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka and Ronaldinho into the same team and that flopped v France.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like Swiss have done it again, in fairness they played well second half. Seems to be a trend with how the Brazil game panned out now.

Most interesting thing from this is group winner most likely to play Germany.

Charles Miller

No match thread for this?
It seems Brazil doesn't have much imagination in their side.
Costa Rica are comfortably keeping them at arms length
Its a trend in this wc so far. Defensive teams making the favorites suffer to win. France x Australia and Spain x Iran are two examples.

Mint

This group has an exciting last round. Serbia must beat Brazil to go through. I can't see it. Brazil will get the draw at least. A draw could put Serbia through on goal difference if the Swiss lose.

However, this group is invalidated because of the non-penalty. We do not have the correct standings. It makes football look like a parody of sport.

Loublaze

ATLien
This group has an exciting last round. Serbia must beat Brazil to go through. I can't see it. Brazil will get the draw at least. A draw could put Serbia through on goal difference if the Swiss lose.

However, this group is invalidated because of the non-penalty. We do not have the correct standings. It makes football look like a parody of sport.
Brazil will turn on the style and finish the job. 2-0. Wrong and non-calls are part and parcel of the game.

Mint

Brazil will turn on the style and finish the job. 2-0. Wrong and non-calls are part and parcel of the game.
You are fine with this? It's a pantomime. If you don't respect the rules, why have them?

Loublaze

ATLien
You are fine with this? It's a pantomime. If you don't respect the rules, why have them?
I respect the rules but all im saying is they'll always be bad calls in the game of football and sports in general. How many past outcomes would you have to 'invalidate' because of bad calls? VAR is a step forward and more advances will be made as time goes by but we'll never achieve perfection.

Sigma

Apparently Douglas Costa is out of the tournament.

Sigma

Blow for Brazil. He should be starting ahead of Willian.
I'm a big Willian fan but he hasn't been great this World Cup. Although I did see him play nicely for Brazil in a couple of pre World Cup friendlies. I would have started Douglas Costa in that last match and see how he did.