Guardiola v Klopp H2H

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
No they weren't. City blew Liverpool away first half but in the second Liverpool addressed everything that was wrong and got the upper hand.
I don't know what game you watched, but the general consensus concerning that game is that City was the better team.
Liverpool only about 20mins maximum in the whole game where they looked liked the better team.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I agree that city hse gotten the better of Liverpool these past meetings but it still is a very cagey affair. I feel it could get much more comfortable for guardiola the way it for Fergie constantly getting the better of Wenger.
Livepool are too good for that. Klopp is a lot stronger mentally than Wenger and I'd say Pep weaker than Sir Alex.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Livepool are too good for that. Klopp is a lot stronger mentally than Wenger and I'd say Pep weaker than Sir Alex.
You may be right but I'm still not convinced that klopp doesn't have a down turn in him the way he did in bvb and mainz 05 , liverpool also don't have your financial strength so it could unravel for them pretty fast and I think we will see that with salah whom I think they will fail to keep.

Then there is the fact that the rivalry might not last that long to begin with as managers simply don't stick around that long anymore so non of that might matter at all .

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The second half was masterful from Klopp and is why he's clearly the better manager. Pep has the money and team to blow anybody away but Klopp, again, saw the weakness and exploited it at half time. Considering the difference in budgets and how he has assembled the team, it's very impressive.
Yea, no. City have dropped 4 points in their games vs Liverpool. Klopp should be thanking his lucky stars they got 2 points out of those games.

Remember the geese

The second half was masterful from Klopp and is why he's clearly the better manager. Pep has the money and team to blow anybody away but Klopp, again, saw the weakness and exploited it at half time. Considering the difference in budgets and how he has assembled the team, it's very impressive.
There was nothing masterful about that Liverpool performance. They were very fortunate to come away with a point. Klopp is definitely not "clearly the better manager". That is a ridiculous thing to say.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
So Pep now holds the record for the highest number of CL semi final appearances with 9 appearances, surpassing Carlo.

City will be too tired when they face Liverpool on Saturday, i can't see them winning that game.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Walker and De Bruyne are always the big players for you against us, I feel.

Without Walker, we'd have scored a lot more against your lot over the years. The number of 1on1s he snuffs out is super annoying. And De Bruyne because he is hardly ever rattled by the press. Everyone else gets forced into too difficult low-yield decisions or percentage stuff and he just plays the same game as always.
KDB is just a big game player but he's allowed lose the ball more than anyone else in our side so it allows him to be braver I find than someone like Bernardo who kinda gets switched into workhorse mode vs you guys (almost 12.5k covered in the match yesterday). Our team in general are very press resistant but Rodri is the one who can be got at sometimes and overwhelmed more so than even our CB's. I thought Klopp would play Firminio to drop and sit on him yesterday.

It would nerf your attacking somewhat but if you had one fullback with Walkers pace you'd be pretty much unstoppable, because your one weakness is when you get turned in behind. City were preparing for that the last 2 matches. We have Walker to bail us out when that happens, for all the defensive talents you have, that recovery pace is what you lack (which makes your high line even braver).

Walker is ideal at making up that ground, even against dudes like Mane and Salah (he's not vastly quicker but when they are running with the ball, he can eat up the ground, in a straight up foot race running on to the ball, he's only marginally quicker so chances like the goal yesterday are beyond him), if only he could cut out the occasional brain farts and be switched on for the entire game he'd be a truly world class defender. Trents tekkers and Walkers physical attributes would probably make the perfect fullback.
How do you reckon these two out will affect your run in @padr81 ? I think facing city next will be a very different prospect than just a week earlier.

padr81

Supports
Man City
How do you reckon these two out will affect your run in @padr81 ? I think facing city next will be a very different prospect than just a week earlier.
I think we're in big trouble to be honest.
We might even sacrifice the fa cup to have a chance in the league.

Between atletico nailing half our team. 3 back to back super tough games, we were running on empty 2nd half yesterday.

Im not just concerned for the fa cup. I think Villarreal beating Bayern swings everything in your favour. Atletico taking out 2 important players makes it even worse, basically while it's still tough, the quad at at least a treble is well on for you.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
Yea, no. City have dropped 4 points in their games vs Liverpool. Klopp should be thanking his lucky stars they got 2 points out of those games.
Considering City only had 0.14 xG more in those 2 matches combined, i think 2 draws seem pretty fair.

They had a really tight offside call that xG doesn't account for, but still.

Skills

Snitch
Currently sits at 9 wins each and 4 draws.

They split it 4-4 in the Bundesliga but Guardiola obviously had a much stronger team.

Klopp dominated it early on with 4 wins 1 draw and 1 loss up until the end of 17/18. But it seems like Guardiola's flipped it since then - with 4 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss since the start of 18/19. City really should've won yesterday, and they don't look anywhere near as troubled by Liverpool anymore - even though a few years ago you'd have Liverpool as City's kryptonite. Has Guardiola figured out how to counter Klopp?
They've had 2 draws and 2 Liverpool wins since then.

So now it's 11 wins, 6 draws and 9 losses for Klopp Vs Guardiola.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They've had 2 draws and 2 Liverpool wins since then.

So now it's 11 wins, 6 draws and 9 losses for Klopp Vs Guardiola.
That's something.

Does any other manager have a positive win record against pep?

OpenIntrovert

Yeah, ole had his number when it actually didn't matter, we lost all the games that did.
Based on my memory, Ole won games that mattered against Pep unless we were playing friendlies. He may not be a "star" manager but he has proven time and time again that he is capable of tactically matching managers like Pep, Tuchel, Klopp etc. He just had bad luck with injuries and fitness issues.

ScholesyTheWise

Based on my memory, Ole won games that mattered against Pep unless we were playing friendlies. He may not be a "star" manager but he has proven time and time again that he is capable of tactically matching managers like Pep, Tuchel, Klopp etc. He just had bad luck with injuries and fitness issues.
He (Ole) found it much easier to play on the counter, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

A trait of "elite" managers, with how the game has evolved and been shaped since Pep's Barca,
is to be able to break down (and tear apart when possible) low blocks.

Ole couldn't do that on a regular enough basis. We constantly lost/drew against weaker teams on paper, and often when we did win, we still played like crap.

games against City and the dippers are rare and we're pumped for them.

Games against midtable teams come by fast.

Hughie77

St pep gets a brain freeze when he goes to Anfield. Ffs he had Milner as a right back and they hardly had a player to run at him double up on him. Ie Grealish and Foden that's what they did to Dalot! .
That game was there to be won and they didn't take advantage of Liverpools weaknesses, the Crowd got the scum over the line along with VAR which was correct imo anyway. Klopp 1 nil on mind games .

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He lost in cup games that could have resulted in a trophy or two and when his job was in the line that's what matters to me , trophies as everything else is worthless.

I liked ole still do and wished for him to do well but it didn't work out in the end unfortunately.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He (Ole) found it much easier to play on the counter, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

A trait of "elite" managers, with how the game has evolved and been shaped since Pep's Barca,
is to be able to break down (and tear apart when possible) low blocks.

Ole couldn't do that on a regular enough basis. We constantly lost/drew against weaker teams on paper, and often when we did win, we still played like crap.

games against City and the dippers are rare and we're pumped for them.

Games against midtable teams come by fast.
I also think people look at some of those top results but forget how we got them often. Some of those games we simply finished very efficiently, so we'd score twice while only really having 3 total chances and it would be a "countering masterclass". We also never defended really well at any point under Ole, so it never looked as solid as the results might seem. We could be dynamite on the counter though with all of our top players on form and Pogba spraying long balls. That was always enjoyable to watch.