Gun control

Carolina Red

Staff
That's exactly what you are. Rather than focusing on what other people think how about just sorting out your dumbass gun laws?
According to the poll, 69 percent of Americans, including 85 percent of Democrats and 57 percent of Republicans, want strong or moderate restrictions placed on firearms...Among those who want tougher gun laws now, only 14 percent said they were “very confident” their representatives understood their views on firearms, and just 8 percent felt “very confident” their elected representatives would do anything about it.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting-anniversary-poll-idUSKCN1PX11I
“Monolith”

It’s one thing to rag on the GOP and the NRA and chastise them for their part in the politics of preventing gun control. It’s another thing to say “leave them to it” as if all of us want this shit happening. I teach, and I do go to work wondering if today will be the day that my school gets shot up. I do the lockdown drills and the building escape drills and I give every class I have the talk about how if it comes to it I’ll die trying my damnedest to keep the shooter out of my door... But hey, what do I know? You just tell me more about how I should just “be left to it”.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I'm trying to square "I own an AR-15" with you taking so much offense to people criticizing America in this thread. On the last page alone you took issue with someone calling out this statement, saying that most people in the country don't think that way.

Murder is illegal but we still have murders, drugs are illegal but they still in the streets and in the countries guns are illegal the criminals still get them.
Yet you have made the exact same argument many times. You do think that way. Or at least you did when you made these statements.

Law abiding citizens would become unarmed, while criminals will refuse to follow the law and keep theirs.
So the gun ban did not stop the bad guys from getting guns. That's what I'm getting from this... Much like Chicago.
I would wager that if you banned guns, we would therefore either have a) criminals still committing gun crime or b) higher knife murders than any other developed country.
Unless you acknowledge that banning guns in this country would have the same effect as banning alcohol did... making millions of law abiding Americans into criminals
despite European countries banning guns, criminals still have them, while law abiding people do not. You will probably disagree with me, but I do not find that beneficial to all.
So what I'm curious is whether you still own an AR-15, whether your opinion has changed since the above posts and why you need a gun on a coffee table while posting on redcafe?

In a safe? I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me on the coffee table.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
“Monolith”

It’s one thing to rag on the GOP and the NRA and chastise them for their part in the politics of preventing gun control. It’s another thing to say “leave them to it” as if all of us want this shit happening. I teach, and I do go to work wondering if today will be the day that my school gets shot up. I do the lockdown drills and the building escape drills and I give every class I have the talk about how if it comes to it I’ll die trying my damnedest to keep the shooter out of my door... But hey, what do I know? You just tell me more about how I should just “be left to it”.
I will never understand for the life of me why the NRA has so much power in the US and your politicians are 'supposed' to be acting on the will of the people. Trump has been quick to sign his executive orders when it comes to brown people and I'm sure he could be more assertive with gun control too. If as many people as you say are sympathetic towards it, he wouldn't have a problem.

I get that it's very real for you and yeah my comments are probably not very helpful and I'm sorry. But I'm watching the news reports and it's heartbreaking but at the same time it just gets me so mad because it really is so dumb and inexcusable. Then when you get idiotic comments from people in here and on TV/social media offering some sort of justification for gun violence, you just think you know what feck 'em.

But from the outside it just looks like the majority of Americans are prepared to defend their right to bear arms at whatever cost.

Carolina Red

Staff
I will never understand for the life of me why the NRA has so much power in the US and your politicians are 'supposed' to be acting on the will of the people. Trump has been quick to sign his executive orders when it comes to brown people and I'm sure he could be more assertive with gun control too. If as many people as you say are sympathetic towards it, he wouldn't have a problem.

I get that it's very real for you and yeah my comments are probably not very helpful and I'm sorry. But I'm watching the news reports and it's heartbreaking but at the same time it just gets me so mad because it really is so dumb and inexcusable. Then when you get idiotic comments from people in here and on TV/social media offering some sort of justification for gun violence, you just think you know what feck 'em.

But from the outside it just looks like the majority of Americans are prepared to defend their right to bear arms at whatever cost.
The NRA has so much power because it lines the pockets of lawmakers, especially those in the GOP. With them running the WH, Senate, and SCOTUS, nothing is going to happen.

I come from a bit of a unique perspective on here I’d imagine in that I grew up in the heart of gun country. I’ve been around them my whole life. Spent a good amount of time as a gun rights person, and have gradually seen my views on that issue and many others change as I got older. I’m with you. It’s absurd. It’s horrible. Something should be done, and hopefully one day soon, something will be done.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
1) yes, I’ve not sold it or given it away because I don’t want someone to get it and use it. It sits in a box, disassembled.

2) no.
So after all that, you're a gun owner yourself?? :mad: It could easily be re-assembled though right? I take everything back in my last post and you're right. Nothing will ever change.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Since I know how you are, I went ahead and added that to my previous post...
:lol:

You're the one who literally told me to go back through your old posts instead of a answering a simple question. Wild how you turn that into "since I know how you are"

Feel free to read my posts in this thread from the last couple of years and you’ll see my thoughts on the subject.

Carolina Red

Staff
:lol:

You're the one who literally told me to go back through your old posts instead of a answering a simple question. Wild how you turn that into "since I know how you are"
I said “in this thread in the last couple of years”... [starts whistling]

I’m well aware of what I’ve posted on this forum in other threads and how my opinion has changed over time. I’ve been quite open about it.

Carolina Red

Staff
So after all that, you're a gun owner yourself?? :mad: It could easily be re-assembled though right? I take everything back in my last post and you're right. Nothing will ever change.
Oooookay then. Irrationality seems to be your thing. Would you rather I sold it to someone?

When the government issues a collection order for ARs/AKs, I’ll happily turn it in. Until then, the safest place it could be is completely disassembled and hidden in my house.

Could it be easily reassembled? No. It’s in a couple hundred small parts and you’d need a manual and a lot of time. Plus you’d have to find it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Oooookay then. Irrationality seems to be your thing. Would you rather I sold it to someone?

When the government issues a collection order for ARs/AKs, I’ll happily turn it in. Until then, the safest place it could be is completely disassembled and hidden in my house.

Could it be easily reassembled? No. It’s in a couple hundred small parts and you’d need a manual and a lot of time. Plus you’d have to find it.
You want to come at me with that word when we're talking about gun control in the US?? Are you having a laugh?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I’m in favor of gun control.
I'm guessing since you've been around guns most of your life, YOU could still reassemble your gun even if it took a bit of time and you know where it is. So, to me that still makes you a gun owner. Why don't you just melt the parts down or throw them in the nearest river? Does it still give you that piece of mind/security knowing that if push comes to shove you could still have a functional firearm at your disposal?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Destroy the parts.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm guessing since you've been around guns most of your life, YOU could still reassemble your gun even if it took a bit of time and you know where it is. So, to me that still makes you a gun owner. Why don't you just melt the parts down or throw them in the nearest river? Does it still give you that piece of mind/security knowing that if push comes to shove you could still have a functional firearm at your disposal?
Uh, no. There’s no firing pin.
Destroy the parts.
Like the firing pin?

The gun is unuseable, folks. I’m sorry to disappoint.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Uh, no. There’s no firing pin.

Like the firing pin?

The gun is unuseable, folks. I’m sorry to disappoint.
But you could just get another firing pin? If it is unusable as you say, why are you hanging on to it?

DOTA

To hopefully turn it in one day. Symbolic I guess of where I was vs. where I am now in how I think about the issue.
How much of it do you need for this symbolic act? Why is it 'all but the firing pin'?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol: This place sometimes...
You can laugh all you want. Some Americans are probably doing the same thing. It's a legitimate question for people who have never been around guns. They're so entrenched in the American psyche that the ability to reason on a rational level is gone.

DOTA

Because the thing is useless without the firing pin, DOTA.

Also, if a turn in is ever mandated, I want to turn the thing in so my family can know I did that. Why? Personal reason.
What's the cost of a new firing pin versus the cost of the gun as a whole? If I wanted the gun to be unusable I would go a lot further than the removal of one part.

You can turn the thing in with less working parts than everything but the pin.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
You can laugh all you want. Some Americans are probably doing the same thing. It's a legitimate question for people who have never been around guns. They're so entrenched in the American psyche that the ability to reason on a rational level is gone.
Actually I am American. What I found amusing is that CR said he's disabled his gun and it's no longer operable. Then you guys question his conviction by asking why he doesn't melt it down or throw it away in a river. :lol: I mean, either you believe him or you don't.