Gun control

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think an easy first step to take would be to only allow people to have guns that shoot a low number of rounds per minute. If people really only need the weapons for hunting, then they don't need a combat level weapon. Perhaps we could only allow lever-action rifles for hunting and only 6 shooters for 'home defense'.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Is that an actual quote?
Yes

Linky- http://www.specialguests.com/guests/viewnews.cgi?id=EFVVVEplZkTaTaajMi&tmpl=default

Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, responded to the tragedy saying, "Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to insure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered. This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun."

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yes

Linky- http://www.specialguests.com/guests/viewnews.cgi?id=EFVVVEplZkTaTaajMi&tmpl=default

Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, responded to the tragedy saying, "Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to insure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered. This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun."
Good Lord.

There's no hope for some people.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Some of the arguments by the lobbiests are beyond a joke, completely out of place. Such shit would only work in the US really

Nogbadthebad

Some of the arguments by the lobbiests are beyond a joke, completely out of place. Such shit would only work in the US really
Indeed, and why anyone countering them hasnt brought up the raw figures instead of pussy footing around I dont know.

Since Martin Luther King was shot dead, over 1 million americans have been killed on american soil by gun violence.

Thats more than all wars, terrorist activity and inter country 'skirmishes' combined globally during the same period.

80 Americans a day die by gunshot.

There are, for every 100 citizens of the US, 88 guns in public ownership.

There are 50 per 100 citizens in Iraq, a fecking war zone.

Of European countries, Switzerland has the highest at 40 , or half the US level of ownership. That doesnt sound too bad, until you realise that Switzerland has national service for every adult male in the country, who are required BY LAW to keep their gun at the end.

So the US has twice the gun ownership of a country whos entire adult male populous are trained Militia required under law to be armed for the defence of the nation.

And the argument is still, there are not enough guns.

Platato

Psst!
You know what I find so hilarious. These gun supporters cite the constitution when it doesn't even apply to them. They're not a militia and they're not needed for the security of a "state". However, I'm sure that's how they view themselves.

I think what happened is someone got into their heads that this second amendment is all about keeping your guns to protect yourself and your family. That if they don't defend this amendment adamantly, government is going to take away their guns. These are the same people who hold the Constitution dear but yet they won't read it for clarification. Imagine if a religious figure did that.

Person A: So where in your religious book does it say we shouldn't beat our wives?
Jesus: It is written.
Person A: But I don't see....
Jesus: It is written!!

Does anyone remember the guy who called the police saying he was good to shoot someone and then shot him? Shocking incident.

Platato

Psst!
I think it's best for a debate to start whilst it's raw on the memory of everyone. Otherwise all that'll happen after this "grieving" time is that it will just be forgotten completely, the news will stop reporting, and no one will mention the need for regulation again. It was pretty much the same with the cinema shootings, give them time etc - gun regulation didn't even come up in the debates a couple of months later I believe.

One thing that really annoys me is this "guns don't kill people, people kill people" thing that all the pro-gun people without fail say. No, people use guns to kill people. By their logic clearly we should make all sorts of terrible chemicals and weapons freely available because its the people who are the problem.
I think you're right. Today is monday. Time for discussions. I understand letting everything being processed on the day of, but that's passed now. We now know more than we did that day and it's time they start making decisions before everyone returns to normalcy and gets into the holiday mood.

Platato

Psst!
The scariest thing is a lot of this nonsense is built by fear. Fear of government. A belief in conspiracy theories that may or not be there. Scaremongers deceiving well-meaning people into supporting ridiculous opinions. Yeah. Fear does that. And someone over there has exploited it to the maximum with these lot. That's got to be one of the reasons they want to hold on to their guns. Fear. I would write a book on fear and how it has plagued humanity. It's plaguing the states pretty badly.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Indeed, and why anyone countering them hasnt brought up the raw figures instead of pussy footing around I dont know.

Since Martin Luther King was shot dead, over 1 million americans have been killed on american soil by gun violence.

Thats more than all wars, terrorist activity and inter country 'skirmishes' combined globally during the same period.

80 Americans a day die by gunshot.

There are, for every 100 citizens of the US, 88 guns in public ownership.

There are 50 per 100 citizens in Iraq, a fecking war zone.

Of European countries, Switzerland has the highest at 40 , or half the US level of ownership. That doesnt sound too bad, until you realise that Switzerland has national service for every adult male in the country, who are required BY LAW to keep their gun at the end.So the US has twice the gun ownership of a country whos entire adult male populous are trained Militia required under law to be armed for the defence of the nation.

And the argument is still, there are not enough guns.
Thats correct. There was a public vote not too long ago and it got confirmed that we ought to keep them at home. However, there are hardly any incidents at all so it has a lot to do with the people and the relationship to guns and shooting

Platato

Psst!
Jason Alexander knows how to structure an argument. Combining passion with sound logic. Well done!

TheReligion

Abusive
Statement by Gun owners of America -

“Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to insure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered. This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun.”

:lol:
Jesus Christ

I have a lot of time for America, and its people, but FFS guys get a grip

TheReligion

Abusive
It is very strange mentality to have. It is as if some Americans believe that just because they have shot a few times as a kid they are experienced marksmen who should be entrusted to bear arms and defend their country if the call of duty arises. It really is nonsense.

I don't doubt for one minute that computer games and films help fuel this mentality, I mean who as a kid hasn't watched an action film then gone rolling about with their mates with toy guns and weapons. The difference in the US is they actually have the capability to carry out their fantasies as so many people own a firearm and actively teach their children to use them.

So many problems with only one solution.

Drifter

American
Obama: "We can't tolerate this anymore," he said. "These tragedies must end and to end them we must change."

Looking like he's ready for a fight.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Obama: "We can't tolerate this anymore," he said. "These tragedies must end and to end them we must change."

Looking like he's ready for a fight.
It doesn't matter how much fight he's got in him, as long as the GOP exists they'll never get rid of the 2nd amendment.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Thats correct. There was a public vote not too long ago and it got confirmed that we ought to keep them at home. However, there are hardly any incidents at all so it has a lot to do with the people and the relationship to guns and shooting
Its more to do with the fact that America as a whole is batshit mental and switzerland isnt.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Guns don't kill people. People do.

In America people do this with guns. :(

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Demonstration / March in opposition of the NRA

Happened 2 hours ago at Spirit of Justice Park one block from the US Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. ~ The march went two blocks to the NRA lobby headquarters

My live stream
http://www.ustream.tv/user/OccupyIndieMedia

From my friend Carlisle
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27800839

I will post photos, later.

Larry Ward of Political Media works in the same building as the NRA lobby. He was the lone counter-protester. I asked him if he contracts with the NRA lobby. He claimed that he didn't. We have data research people looking into it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
as you said last week mate.

This is going to be a game changer.
Also helps that we have a very popular POTUS who doesn't need to get re-elected. The senate would support this and I doubt the House repubs want to get on yet another issue that will drive down their popularity.

Obama is a good man....he won't let this issue slide.

Platato

Psst!
Also helps that we have a very popular POTUS who doesn't need to get re-elected. The senate would support this and I doubt the House repubs want to get on yet another issue that will drive down their popularity.

Obama is a good man....he won't let this issue slide.
I've been avoiding the news for my own sanity. What's going on?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I actually fear for Obama if he actually gets anything truly major done; I fear yet another supposed 'lone nutcase' scenario.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've been avoiding the news for my own sanity. What's going on?
Some bills have been introduced...Obama is making noises about changing things. Some repubs have even said they are changing their mind. The NRA is tight-lipped for now but will surely come out swinging in a few days.

Hopefully we get some movement on mental health too.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well I think any meaningful control would take a decade or so to really take hold. It'll take a long time to get all the guns out of circulation but if the laws are passed and we stay determined, it'll happen.

Platato

Psst!
Some bills have been introduced...Obama is making noises about changing things. Some repubs have even said they are changing their mind. The NRA is tight-lipped for now but will surely come out swinging in a few days.

Hopefully we get some movement on mental health too.
Thanks. The quicker you move, the better off you'll be.

I posted this in the Hartford thread:

People need to realize we are in day and age that bar the socio-economic issues present in Western society especially, the only problems we really have are psychological. I'm not disregarding those in poverty-stricken situations or other issues but in the Western world, psychological issues really are a major problem.

Overusing Botox, self-esteem issues, depression (chronic or not), baking your face because you're think too white, bulimia, looking for anti-aging solutions, getting butt jobs, using immaturity as an viable excuse to act out (UK riots), overly subscribing to peer pressure, subverting socials skills through technology. It's insane that as much as society has developed, we're still struggling with basic issues. Some of these issues are biting Americans in the ass.

Repeatedly denying your son is mentally ill when he clearly is, is part of the problem. If America is going to heal from this culturally, then I think it starts in the home.
Maybe that last sentence hints at where the movement can start. You know better than me.

Pimpmofo

From what I've read the ban they are looking at wouldn't be retroactive. The assault type rifles that are already out there would be legal but they couldn't make any more. They did this with fully auto in the 80's and it actually worked to get them off the street. I don't know if it would necessarily have the same effect because there are so many AR15s and AK type rifles and Starmer rifles out there.
I don't see them getting a complete ban on them with the money some people have spent unless they bought them back. People could've spent $3000+ last month on a high end AR and would have to just turn it over with no compensation next month - people here wouldn't go for that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well I think any meaningful control would take a decade or so to really take hold. It'll take a long time to get all the guns out of circulation but if the laws are passed and we stay determined, it'll happen.
It will take a long while but you have to start somewhere.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
From what I've read the ban they are looking at wouldn't be retroactive. The assault type rifles that are already out there would be legal but they couldn't make any more. They did this with fully auto in the 80's and it actually worked to get them off the street. I don't know if it would necessarily have the same effect because there are so many AR15s and AK type rifles and Starmer rifles out there.
I don't see them getting a complete ban on them with the money some people have spent unless they bought them back. People could've spent $3000+ last month on a high end AR and would have to just turn it over with no compensation next month - people here wouldn't go for that.
They need to make it retroactive as far as I'm concerned. Pick a date, let's say 31 July 2013, on which all assault rifles will become illegal to own.

If they want to do something about the cost, they can give a temporary tax break on purchases made, with a tapered relief so that more recent purchases get a higher rate of relief, with those bought say 5 years ago getting nothing.