Haha Newcastle

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
You're right, it's been utterly depressing watching United this season, yet there's barely anything between the clubs in terms of points and league position.
Utd still have individual quality, that's good for 60 points a season. Without proper coaching though there's always going to be a cap on how far that'll take you and whenever you come up against a side of similar quality, the result will go the way of yesterday's more often than not.

JustAGuest

Without getting into whataboutery, surely you see the hypocrisy in the way Newcastle fans are treated compared to literally every other club, government, organisation or individual that deals with the Saudis daily? I'd imagine the commercial revenue the country generates from NUFC is currently absolutely fractional compared to some of the other deals that get overlooked, including your own commercial partnerships with them.

Dancing in Saudi dress is ridiculous, I agree, but it's a small segment of numpties. The moral high ground of "Newcastle fans should stop supporting their club" however is embarrassing, and generally comes out right after a pitiful defeat against us like last night. If Manchester United had been bought by Qatar, you'd still support them, you know you would, we're all morally superior until we're put in that position.
Speak for yourself. There are many fans, myself included, that would seriously consider not supporting the club if Qatar took over.

statpadder

Don’t you really love gloating threads like these. From Pep Fraudiola, Jurgen Flopp and threads mocking other clubs. All have ended well haven’t they?

I mean once we do get in a good position and become a decent side, then sure, gloat and banter but ffs we’re a laughing stock in the world.

Have some perspective, guys!

Fridge chutney

Speak for yourself. There are many fans, myself included, that would seriously consider not supporting the club if Qatar took over.
It's just another lie that Newcastle fans tell themselves as they watch their owners murder people and defend them on forums like these.

Fridge chutney

We always get an influx of opposition fans joining when their specific club is doing well just to rub salt into the wound as they know we're rubbish.

A few years ago a load of Leicester fans joined. Not seen many of them since. A few Brighton fans joined and, since things have gone sour, they haven't been on as much. Now you constantly see Arsenal and Newcastle fans with "new member" posting (despite contributing nothing to the newbie section).

Having opposition fans here is great, but you can tell the difference between who signs up just to wind up United fans and who sign up to have genuine discussions. When their clubs inevitably hit rough patches, so many of them are nowhere to be seen.
You may be right but to be fair, at least Arsenal are a proper club, not owned by a murderous dictatorship, and a club that we have enjoyed decades worth of rivalry with. Their fans can be annoying but there are many good ones that post on here.

JustAGuest

It's just another lie that Newcastle fans tell themselves as they watch their owners murder people and defend them on forums like these.
I don't blame any fan for still supporting the club regardless of the owner but going on rival forums to defend them is so bizarre. Or any social media for that matter.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I don't want them here but there's precisely zero I can do to change it. All the invectives and flowery pronouncements about blood and murder somehow falling at my feet - because of a sale of a football club I had no part in - makes me think the people making them are complete idiots who don't understand how responsibility and association work.

Because if NUFC fans are responsible - because we didn't walk away from our club - then every other club's fan not walking away from the league for allowing PIF ownership has the same blood on their hands as well. You can quibble about the amount, but it exists. Every ridiculous, hyperbolic attack thrown at our fans reflects on you the same moral cowardice you accuse us of. The PL let PIF into the league, not NUFC. Continuing to enjoy their "product" (even if it's not watching us) is silent, tacit approval of the status quo.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

I don't want them here but there's precisely zero I can do to change it.
That's not true. You can walk away from your club. That's what I and many other fans of United would have done had we been bought by the Saudis, despite declarations to the contrary by Newcastle supporters in this thread.

Besides, if NUFC fans are responsible - because we didn't walk away from our club - then every other club's fan not walking away from the league for allowing PIF ownership has the same blood on their hands as well. You can quibble about the amount, but it exists. Every ridiculous, hyperbolic attack thrown at our fans reflects on you the same moral cowardice you accuse us of. The PL let PIF into the league, not NUFC. Continuing to enjoy their "product" (even if it's not watching us) is silent, tacit approval of the status quo.
This is false equivalence, used as an attempt to further justify your ownership, yet again. Sportswashing in action, and very effective. For what it's worth, i didn't watch yesterday's game precisely because we were playing Newcastle.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't want them here but there's precisely zero I can do to change it. All the invectives and flowery pronouncements about blood and murder somehow falling at my feet - because of a sale of a football club I had no part in - makes me think the people making them are complete idiots who don't understand how responsibility and association work.

Because if NUFC fans are responsible - because we didn't walk away from our club - then every other club's fan not walking away from the league for allowing PIF ownership has the same blood on their hands as well. You can quibble about the amount, but it exists. Every ridiculous, hyperbolic attack thrown at our fans reflects on you the same moral cowardice you accuse us of. The PL let PIF into the league, not NUFC. Continuing to enjoy their "product" (even if it's not watching us) is silent, tacit approval of the status quo.
Not long ago Man Utd fans begged for the Sheikh Jassim takeover.

JustAGuest

There is of course a difference between those who don't want them at the club and those who celebrate it and will go extreme lengths to defend them. If you are in the former group then many of these comments are likely not aimed at you to begin with and you should not take offence.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
This is false equivalence, used as an attempt to further justify your ownership, yet again. Sportswashing in action, and very effective. For what it's worth, i didn't watch yesterday's game precisely because we were playing Newcastle.
Calling everything that exposes your own hypocrisy "sportswashing" is a very effective defense to actually having any critical self examination. If you really believe the things you say about toon fans - IF - then they still apply at some level to yourselves and anyone else who is okay with the PL allowing them in the league. Walk away from the league if you really hold the values you claim.

But you're not comfortable looking in that mirror so you pretend the only thing that can or should be done is by toon fans, conveniently absolving yourself of any action greater than being a keyboard warrior.

Pickle85

Calling everything that exposes your own hypocrisy "sportswashing" is a very effective defense to actually having any critical self examination. If you really believe the things you say about toon fans - IF - then they still apply at some level to yourselves and anyone else who is okay with the PL allowing them in the league. Walk away from the league if you really hold the values you claim.

But you're not comfortable looking in that mirror so you pretend the only thing that can or should be done is by toon fans, conveniently absolving yourself of any action greater than being a keyboard warrior.
So you don't see the difference between supporting a team who's directly being used by Saudi for sportswashing purposes, and continuing to watch the league in which that team plays (even if you actively avoid watching that team)? Really?

TheReligion

Abusive
Utd still have individual quality, that's good for 60 points a season. Without proper coaching though there's always going to be a cap on how far that'll take you and whenever you come up against a side of similar quality, the result will go the way of yesterday's more often than not.
Bit silly to say there’s no proper coaching going on no?

TheReligion

Abusive

If you don’t like it then why join up and post here? Not sure I get it

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
So you don't see the difference between supporting a team who's directly being used by Saudi for sportswashing purposes, and continuing to watch the league in which that team plays (even if you actively avoid watching that team)? Really?
There isn't. But I'm not judging. I just think the horse some people are sitting on isn't as high as they think it is.

If you don’t like it then why join up and post here? Not sure I get it
??? I joined around the time of the Japan/S Korea 2002 World Cup. As I did several other team's forums. Many who don't even exist online anymore. What's your point? That I should have predicted 20 years on that we'd be bought by dickheads and a lot of people would get thrills with cheapshots against a fanbase? :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
There isn't. But I'm not judging. I just think the horse some people are sitting on isn't as high as they think it is.

??? I joined around the time of the Japan/S Korea 2002 World Cup. As I did several other team's forums. Many who don't even exist online anymore. What's your point? That I should have predicted 20 years on that we'd be bought by dickheads and a lot of people would get thrills with cheapshots against a fanbase? :lol:
As I said, if it’s such a pain post elsewhere perhaps? On a Newcastle forum or something? Otherwise accept that’s what the rest of the league think and move on?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

You could just stop supporting the club. I would if my club (Bayern) at some points belongs to owners whose morals oppose mine.

Fridge chutney

What's hypocritical about my stance? I would walk away from my club if it became a sportswashing vessel, and i have been vocal about that position (the United takeover thread for reference).

Drawing an equivalence between the clubs is so absurd that i didn't think it needed dignifying with a response. United is not owned by a dictatorship. It is not owned by the PL. United could not stop Newcastle from being bought by the Saudis. Actually, as a result of changes made to the Owners and Directors Test process this year (see here: Changes to OADT) PL clubs can help influence better ownership in the Premier League moving forward. So why should any club leave the league as a result of certain clubs cheating and being sportswashed? Your argument makes zero sense. Similarly, if Austria disagreed with Swedish domestic or foreign policy, it would not leave the UN.

But i understand why you are making false equivalences. You want to feel legitimate, you want it all to be organic and feel-good, and you want the praise and accolades that come with such a fairytale - similar to City fans. But in the eyes of many supporters you never will be legitimate, and any sporting success will be overshadowed by the horrendous human rights abuses of your owners . You'll be seen as a tool of the terrifying regime that owns you. You can continue supporting Newcastle and i don't blame you for doing so. Just don't expect any love or acceptance from other fans. I wish nothing but failure for your club as a direct consequence of your owners.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They’ll tell you you’ve benefitted from Saudi money soon and that’s the same..
Bayern took Qatar‘s money and they received a backlash. It took the club years and an active fan scene but, afaik, Qatar Airways no longer sponsors them and Bayern is missing out on money. It can be done.

eire-red

Not long ago Man Utd fans begged for the Sheikh Jassim takeover.
Who are you referencing here? Were there banners at OT begging for Qatari ownership? Rallies at matchday welcoming Qatar?

You should elaborate before making baseless, sweeping claims like that. There is a very long ownership thread on here that is pretty divisive in terms of who wanted what, and plenty of proof of numerous people on here wanting nothing to do with Qatari ownership.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
You could just stop supporting the club. I would if my club (Bayern) at some points belongs to owners whose morals oppose mine.
Without getting too deep into the whole "pashun" thing and clichés, the idea that Newcastle fans would stop supporting their club is mental to me.

I grew up being able to see SJP from my window, attended matches with my dad from 5, who attended matches with his dad from young before that. The club is the beating heart of the city, football is literally a driving force in day to day life up here, if you could just drop your club in an instant then to me you are not a fan. You clearly don't have the same connection to it.

Are we asking golf fans to stop supporting golf due to PIFs involvement, or does this only very specifically apply to football?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Without getting too deep into the whole "pashun" thing and clichés, the idea that Newcastle fans would stop supporting their club is mental to me.

I grew up being able to see SJP from my window, attended matches with my dad from 5, who attended matches with his dad from young before that. The club is the beating heart of the city, football is literally a driving force in day to day life up here, if you could just drop your club in an instant then to me you are not a fan. You clearly don't have the same connection to it.

Are we asking golf fans to stop supporting golf due to PIFs involvement, or does this only very specifically apply to football?
Fair enough. I would handle it differently.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

I think @Acrobat7 simply has a German view about all this. Part of the connection between fans and clubs here is that the professional teams are owned by the actual clubs consisting of members/fans (at least the majority of the team and yes there are a few generally disliked exceptions to this rule).

This is a far different and arguably stronger bond than what you have in England where the professional teams have been privately owned for a long time.

From our perspective you lack influence in your club so the only thing you can do if you don't like what the club is doing you only can walk away (or at least try to talk to the owners about it at first, but the only truly actionable thing is stop spending money on the team).

I get that this is hard if you have been a fan of such a club your whole life and don't want to give that up, so I won't judge anyone who stays a fan of Newcastle, Man City or Man United if the Sheikh had bought them.

That said I think that every fan who actively embraces this kind of ownership is a despicable human being and should be publicly shamed as a supporter of torture, slavery, terrorism etc (list to be adjusted a bit depending on the actual state behind each club).

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think @Acrobat7 simply has a German view about all this. Part of the connection between fans and clubs here is that the professional teams are owned by the actual clubs consisting of members/fans (at least the majority of the team and yes there are a few generally disliked exceptions to this rule).

This is a far different and arguably stronger bond than what you have in England where the professional teams have been privately owned for a long time.

From our perspective you lack influence in your club so the only thing you can do if you don't like what the club is doing you only can walk away (or at least try to talk to the owners about it at first, but the only truly actionable thing is stop spending money on the team).

I get that this is hard if you have been a fan of such a club your whole life and don't want to give that up, so I won't judge anyone who stays a fan of Newcastle, Man City or Man United if the Sheikh had bought them.

That said I think that every fan who actively embraces this kind of ownership is a despicable human being and should be publicly shamed as a supporter of torture, slavery, terrorism etc (list to be adjusted a bit depending on the actual state behind each club).
Thank you for elaborating on what I meant and feel. I have been supporting Bayern since elementary school. And I would walk away from them the second they were sold to, for example, the Saudi government.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry if it's true. I know I joined because the general football discussion here is so much better than at my preferred Arsenal board. And if my posts can be a little Arsenal-centric, it's only because it's easier sometimes to use Arsenal history/players as an analogy, and because I certainly understand the pain of being mid-rebuild. Not trying to wind anyone up, and I thank all you United supporters for letting me be here.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this about every recent opposition fan who's signed up. There are plenty of great additions to the forum. I'm just saying that, throughout my time here, it's easy to tell who's signed up to actually contribute to the forum and who's signed up because whichever club they support is going through a good period whilst we flounder. It's why so many of them disappear once the good period ends.

You may be right but to be fair, at least Arsenal are a proper club, not owned by a murderous dictatorship, and a club that we have enjoyed decades worth of rivalry with. Their fans can be annoying but there are many good ones that post on here.
Oh, yeah, I have the utmost respect for Arsenal, and there's loads of good posters on here who support them. I wanted them to win the league last season and do again this year. I mean, as long as it looks like we're miles off challenging ourselves, I'd rather they win it than Liverpool or City. Or, eventually, even Newcastle, who'll no doubt turn into long term challengers themselves.

Ludens the Red

We always get an influx of opposition fans joining when their specific club is doing well just to rub salt into the wound as they know we're rubbish.

A few years ago a load of Leicester fans joined. Not seen many of them since. A few Brighton fans joined and, since things have gone sour, they haven't been on as much. Now you constantly see Arsenal and Newcastle fans with "new member" posting (despite contributing nothing to the newbie section).

Having opposition fans here is great, but you can tell the difference between who signs up just to wind up United fans and who sign up to have genuine discussions. When their clubs inevitably hit rough patches, so many of them are nowhere to be seen.
:lol: Had completely forgotten about them. There must have been 4/5 during that covid period.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

I mean, I love my wife, have been with her for a long time. But if she were to quit her job as a doctor and were to start working as a personal marketing ambassador for Mohammed bin Salman, I don't think think that I could be with her anymore. It just wouldn't be the person I married.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
:lol: Had completely forgotten about them. There must have been 4/5 during that covid period.
Yeah, loads signed up under the pretence of wanting to contribute to the forum, but so many of them were obviously here to laugh at Maguire and us in general because, for that period, they were doing better than us. The amount of posts I read from them saying Evans was a better player. And, as predicted, the majority have been nowhere to be seen for a long time now.

It's the same with Newcastle now, but they probably won't disappear because Newcastle are only going to get stronger.

MegadrivePerson

Is there anything that would make you stop supporting the club?