Hakan Çalhanoğlu

Scholsey2004

It seems that the club agrees with my "bullshit" assessment and we're very likely getting Hakan - which is fantastic news.

The lethal creative trident Paul - Hakan - Bruno only needs a new high energy ball-winner in the Kante/Vidal mould and we have the strongest midfield in the world (Fred for now, ideally Camavinga for the future).

1. Hakan is the best player at Milan - yes, better than Zlatan, and I'm saying this as a Swede - and probably feels this is his opportunity for big move, before Milan inevitably start declining in few months. He doesn't want new Milan contract.
2. Multiple verified sources reporting that Juve (obviously) desperately wanted to sign Hakan, but he's turned them down and wants to sign for us!
3. Again these are only rumours, less reliable sources this time, but Juve are apparently interested in van de Beek so maybe we're upgrading on him with Hakan.
This acquisition would open several new tactical options for us, such as wonderful 4-4-2 diamond with Hakan on the tip, or a 3-3-1-3 revolution I've proposed earlier in this thread.
Personally I'd think it far more likely that Calhonoglu would be Pogbas replacement in the squad, although van de Beek would be his direct replacement. Pogba looks like a player on his way out to me.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has a very good long ball technique that I dont see much in our squad. I think only Pogba has it and since i dont see him here much longer we have literally no one who can switch plays across side to side.

Can spread the ball across the field very well and add some depth to some creativity.

I wish he could play a little deeper at times ( maybe he does this sometimes for milan or Turkey?) instead of conjesting CAM because I really want to see VDB playing like Muller as a false 9 at times. Hakan seems like he can dictate play but from higher up the pitch rather than being a deep lying playmaker.

On a free I think he wouldn't be a bad shout as long as we keep our contract levels nicely balanced.

@Khalif_20

Does calhanogulu always play on the tip of diamonds or does he ever play deeper?

If Pogba left (or stayed/rotated with Calhanogulu) could Bruno and Calhanoglu dictate the play from deeper as 2 CM/AM's like De Bryune and Silva for city? VDB can add that extra depth making runs as a goal scorer or dropping in to midfield aswell. As you said nothing wont happen until that CDM is here though.

Rashford - Greenwood
VDB
Calhanogulu - Bruno
CDM​

Devil may care

I haven't seen him play in ages but unless he's developed into a deep lying midfielder or CB I just can't see why we need another player in his mold, I mean we haven't even integrated Van de Beek yet.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good squad player but won't be any better than our first 11 IMO

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Don't know much about him at all other than I work with an AC fan and Çalhanoğlu is his favourite player because he makes the whole team tick.

He's really annoyed to be losing him. Dasss enough for me.

Sign him up! :drool:

Gordon S

Seems to have improved a lot last season and is now an important player for Milan. Could be a very smart signing on a free. But he seems to be at his best in Brunos position and looks similar in style too, so this deal doesn`t make an awful lot of sense. Seriously doubt he would come here to be backup to Bruno? Would be great for us of course, we can not keep playing Bruno 90min every game. If he gets injured we would be fecked.

Bondi77

Have we not learned anything about bringing players who look good in the pedestrian Italian league to the faster paced Premier League yet?
Geez!

drmuji

The only way I see it is
1. Pogba is leaving 100 percent
2. DVB is being slotted in deep lying playmaker role instead of Pogba
3. Backup option for Bruno

So, I don't see this happening because
1. I would let DVB plays a 10 in case Bruno is injured or needs rest
2. We would need a proper 8 in case we let Pogba go

pascell

It'd be a square peg in a round hole signing again. He wouldn't improve us at all, the only way we'll improve our squad to the level we need it, is by improving on the first team players and demoting them to the bench.

I hope this is just another case of the agent looking for a better deal for his client and our name being used.

We need to be looking at a DM or deep B2B instead of a Bruno back up, we bought that in VdB and still have Mata.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
My immediate feelings about this are the same as when we were linked with Perisic, I remember them mostly from their subpar performances in the BL that I can't look at the idea that they have improved since going to the Serie A.

I was against the signing of Perisic when Mourinho was here but then was pleasantly surprised with his performances for Bayern last season and was disappointed when they couldn't retain him. That being said, his performances for Bayern were good with respect to being a secondary option and not a starter, which he might have been at United.

Thinking about it, Hakan himself well be a secondary option, if he has improved for AC Milan then for free it might not be a bad signing. Bruno and Hakan (with VdB) would certainly be better than most AM options in other teams in Europe.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Have we not learned anything about bringing players who look good in the pedestrian Italian league to the faster paced Premier League yet?
Geez!
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but Bruno looks better in Premier League than in pedestrian Italian league.

You guys can calm down though. Hakan is not joining you. He would probably see it as a downgrade.
This is just a negotiation tactic.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we are in the market for an attacking midfielder I'd rather it be Grealish. Although if he's coming in for Mata/Lingard then fair enough.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but Bruno looks better in Premier League than in pedestrian Italian league.

You guys can calm down though. Hakan is not joining you. He would probably see it as a downgrade.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy. I dunno why oppos come here trying to goad United fans, none of us care about your shite midfielder or your garbage league. Feel free to rejoin the conversation when you're not getting embarassed by Lille in the Europa.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Downgrade from AC Milan?

Yikes

Chief123

Downgrade from Milan who’ve become a nothing club?

drmuji

1. What part of united would be a downgrade on Milan. Cavani to Zlatan maybe but then Cavani is a backup rather than main striker unlike Zlatan. But I guess you are Wumming
2. That I can completely understand. A lot of people have used United as a negotiating tactic

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looks like an absolute no brainer for free. Really good squad option and takes a mean dead ball too.

USREDEVIL

I remember him from Leverkusen. Good tidy player. As people have mentioned he's got a great set piece shot. Otherwise not a bad passer but nothing super special. Bellerabi was the guy to get actually from Leverkusen (along with Havertz obviously).

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We are not Juventus to sign free agents for the sake of getting a fee for players later while walking the league. We need quality not quantity. Haven´t seen him play for a while but surprised with the links, probably agent likes to get him some decent contract

Bondi77

Great news.

SSSSnake

Always have time for intelligent players since they are rare. Can’t see anything wrong with this if Mata, Lingard and Pogba were to make way.

Chief123

I mean, its still early days of course but I think they are currently leading the league. We just cracked the top ten!
Flipping heck mate. The season is 9 games old. Have Milan just revived their history in 9 historic games? :lol:

I’ll be absolutely delighted if we don’t get him. Really hope it’s agent talk.

drmuji

I mean, its still early days of course but I think they are currently leading the league. We just cracked the top ten!
Mate! Its Milan we are talking about. Did you really think that Southampton were going to win the league or do you expect Tottenham to win the league?

James Peril

This is pretty funny when you get to the end. How can he only have one assist if he has created 34 chances? Do they have first season Diego Forlan or Chelsea-Torres up top? 34 chances and one goal is statistically funny.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
[=twitter]1333406137471930369[/l]
So do you remember under Mourinho that we got Pogba who was the best midfielder in Italy, Mikhytaryan (sp?) who was the most creative man in Europe at the time and the top scorer of the epl at the time... Meant nothing in the end..

I don't agree with getting rid of Mata because he's still useful to us and happy with us.

Brightonian

Would be a very good squad signing, if he arrived alongside the all-important DM signing for the first XI. Without the latter, the former doesn't really make much sense. Pereira/Lingard upgrade, sure, but that's not a high bar given neither plays at all any more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like I've said before, this signing makes alot of sense on a free and could free up extra funds for more pressing needs.

If we can get Pereira, Mata and Lingard off the books and get some money in too by way of transfer fees then that will be brilliant in addition to getting their wages of the books.

VdB I'm hoping is played as the #8 hence being the player who replaces Pogba. Then if we can have Hakan as the back up to Bruno, that would be a better option to have over the 3 outs I've mentioned above and it wouldn't affect our transfer plans at all.

So if Ole wants Grealish and Sancho and money was available for both, then that is also possible. Grealish can be deployed on the left too and we need competition on that side because apart from Rashford we don't really have anyone good enough in rotation. And there's lots of games in a season for everyone and having a strong squad is what is gonna be key for us to eventually challenge for the league.

Personally I'd look to sign Grealish because he can play multiple roles and his ball retention is absolutely superb. If we had him as a option right now then I'd be hoping he starts over Rashford on the left.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Geez!
The Italian league is far less slow than it used to be to be honest.. Milan, Fiorentina, Napoli, Lazio, Atalanta, Sassuolo, Benevento are all high pressing sides... I get your point that you have to consider the circumstances in which a player excels and see how that fits in the environment you want to bring him in.. I just dont think the initial pavlov reaction claiming the serie A is merely a pedestrian league is not true anymore and far outdated... Its the same kind of cliche as currently stating the premier league is 95% teams who play 442 and throw it long to a striker without teeth..

Sea-Cow

Mate! Its Milan we are talking about. Did you really think that Southampton were going to win the league or do you expect Tottenham to win the league?
Expect it? No I don't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't be all that surprised. They're a good squad and are for some reason buying into Jose and his bullshit.

And my original point was just that, as much as it pains me to say, maybe we United fans should hold off on laughing at clubs on a downward trajectory. I personally don't think any footballer out there would consider it a step down to go from Milan to United, but I also don't think we're currently in a position to condescend anyone.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Expect it? No I don't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't be all that surprised. They're a good squad and are for some reason buying into Jose and his bullshit.

And my original point was just that, as much as it pains me to say, maybe we United fans should hold off on laughing at clubs on a downward trajectory. I personally don't think any footballer out there would consider it a step down to go from Milan to United, but I also don't think we're currently in a position to condescend anyone.
He was the one who started goading United fans, you don't need to white knight him. If he doesn't want people taking the piss out of Milan then perhaps he shouldn't come taking the piss out of United on a United forum.

Gibb11

He'll want fairly large wages despite coming on a free perhaps, only been impressed with him last 6 months other than that hes been a dud for Milan, questionable attitude too.

We're stocked in that position too anyway unless we do manage to offload players (which we have found to be not so easy) I don't want another 10 who doesn't contribute defensively so much unless he can just magically adapt

drmuji

Fair point