Handy tips during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Obviously this will turn stupid with sarcastic answers after a while but if anybody has any decent tips they are using during this outbreak that could help others then post them here instead of maybe getting swallowed up in the Coronavirus thread.

I have pretty much been out and about most mornings picking bits up and have basically watched people hoarding everything but their habits were obvious how easily it can spread. People wiping their nose then hands straight back on the trolley etc etc.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car after I have visited a shop etc and apply it as soon as in the car or even before if it is my pocket.

A packet of anti-bacterial wipes are also in the car to wipe down trolley handles before I use them.

I have been keeping the car topped up in case that all kicks off and we are queuing at the pumps on top of everything else.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
WASH YOUR HANDS

Other tips
  • Don't touch your face
  • Facemasks are only effective at the stopping you spreading the virus they have limited effectiveness in stopping you getting the virus
  • You catch the virus through your eyes so no point wearing a mask if someone coughs on your eyes
  • Wear gloves when going out and don't touch your face
  • If you're short on bog roll rinse your arse in the shower

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On and further to my point on facemasks unless it actually seals of the area around your mouth and nose it can still get in.

I see people wearing them in the belief they're protected but what they're doing is denying people who get the virus the chance of buying one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Apparently If you sing Happy Birthday to someone twice while washing your hands then you look like a fecking idiot.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Wipe produce down that you have bought from the shops once home as you don’t know how many people have handled it before you and we have no idea how long the virus can stay on things.

Fener1907

I think what has struck me about the entire thing is how little has been said about assisting your immune system as much as possible.

People have been busy going on Lord of the Rings quests for toilet paper when they should be more concerned with eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, ensuring they get as much good quality sleep as possible, and essentially following all of the conventional advice you'd expect during the winter period.

It's no real surprise that people with really bad habits have been hit hard by the virus. Being young doesn't mean you're some aspiring Avenger whose shitty superpower is an amazing immune system. Not that it should take a pandemic to deter people from drinking copious amounts of alcohol, smoking, and eating crap, but there you go.

I try and make sure i keep it outside even if i do get exposed to it. First thing I do when walking in the house is wash my hands, take any shoes/coats off, and then wash them again. Clean the door handles and phone daily. I'm getting used to knowing the virus is fecking everywhere when i go outside but i want to be comfortable it's not in the house with me too.

Fully Fledged

WASH YOUR HANDS

Other tips
  • Don't touch your face
  • Facemasks are effective at making you stop touching the areas of your face that are susceptible to the virus (nose and mouth).
  • You catch the virus through your eyes so make sure you are also wearing some type of glasses/goggles.

Deery

Dreary
I have bought tissues and keep them by the bed or in my pocket if I have to cough, sneeze or touch my face very handy.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
An infectious agent expert called Michale Osterholm said the virus being transmitted on the surfaces is been overplayed by the media. He says that this virus is like the flu which is spread through the air. As if you are in an area where the air is contained, then you will breathe in the virus (if its there).

Personally speaking i am trying to avoid places like coffee shops and public transport.

Fully Fledged

@Fully Fledged

Goggles would protect you if they're the ones that seal around your eyes. Glass just like a facemask only offer limited protection.
I was only saying they stop you touching your nose, mouth and eyes.
Trying to change life long habits when you are over 50 or older is hard. Having something in place to help with changing those habits might be useful for some. I will add that I'm not wearing either masks or glasses/goggles while out in public.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was only saying they stop you touching your nose, mouth and eyes.
Trying to change life long habits when you are over 50 or older is hard. Having something in place to help with changing those habits might be useful for some. I will add that I'm not wearing either masks or glasses/goggles while out in public.
That's true, the facemask thing irks me because many people who bought them have denied people who need them the ability to do so. However, the more people wear facemasks the safer those aren't wearing facemasks become. If they cough or sneeze its stopped by their facemask.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Have your shoes sitting in a box close to front door so you can put on and take off without walk the virus through the house.
Also have alcohol ot bleach to clean shoes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think what has struck me about the entire thing is how little has been said about assisting your immune system as much as possible.

People have been busy going on Lord of the Rings quests for toilet paper when they should be more concerned with eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, ensuring they get as much good quality sleep as possible, and essentially following all of the conventional advice you'd expect during the winter period.

It's no real surprise that people with really bad habits have been hit hard by the virus. Being young doesn't mean you're some aspiring Avenger whose shitty superpower is an amazing immune system. Not that it should take a pandemic to deter people from drinking copious amounts of alcohol, smoking, and eating crap, but there you go.
Completely agree with you. So many people have absolutely no idea how to look after themselves.
No wonder the NHS is under so much pressure.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Facemasks do work, just check the Hong Kong and Taiwan numbers despite the close proximity and huge number of travelers from China.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A different one is probably to not obsess yourself over it. Stay at home, be smart, take precautionary measures, but dont constantly read news, dont have the news on the tele, dont obsess over every single update and don't panic. Mental health is pretty important in times like this when the majority of the world is basically going to be locked in their house.

TheReligion

Abusive

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Take your advice from the government and the BBC and do not look, even for a second, at the utter shite people are putting on twitter, facebook, whatsapp and the like. Better still delete those apps.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
You shouldn't be encouraging this in my opinion. It's selfish and unnecessary to be buying lots of essentials like eggs, milk, meat and bread just to freeze.
So if you are buying for yourself or elderly relatives then it is better to go to Tesco and mingle with hundreds every other day for a fresh loaf rather than giving them the option of freezing food that could be going out of date anyway?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Buy a copy of the Daily Mail.
After reading it you will be so depressed that getting COVID19 will seem like fantastic news.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The one rumour that could hold some weight is not to take ibuprofen. NHS updated their advice to include it, even though there's no firm evidence it's not good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Also, more people may have clocked on now, but The Range had loads of toilet roll. Obviously don't be a dick when you find some.

Dan_F

I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car after I have visited a shop etc and apply it as soon as in the car or even before if it is my pocket.

A packet of anti-bacterial wipes are also in the car to wipe down trolley handles before I use them.

I have been keeping the car topped up in case that all kicks off and we are queuing at the pumps on top of everything else.
That petrol will help during a quarantine when you’re not allowed to leave the house.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What's people stance on takeaways during all this?
Drive thrus will probably remain open even if there is a lock down. Fast food outlets that dont have drive thrus will probably have to close.

Some CEO of a fast food enterprize was saying that fast food will feed populations during the crisis. Thats not a bad thing but at the same time, eating fast food every day for the next two months will lead to health problems.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
WASH YOUR HANDS

Other tips
  • Don't touch your face
  • Facemasks are only effective at the stopping you spreading the virus they have limited effectiveness in stopping you getting the virus
  • You catch the virus through your eyes so no point wearing a mask if someone coughs on your eyes
  • Wear gloves when going out and don't touch your face
  • If you're short on bog roll rinse your arse in the shower
:lol::lol:

Thank you I needed a laugh today.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Say the virus lasts for three days on leather. If I wear my gloves out and they get spattered with virus, so I leave them out back for three or four days without touching them, will they then be ok to rewear? Same with disposable masks?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Say the virus lasts for three days on leather. If I wear my gimpsuit out and it gets spattered with virus, so I leave it out back for three or four days without touching it, will it then be ok to rewear? Same with disposable masks?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What advice for the technology averse such as myself?

I mean you do these conference calls, you have emails and Microsoft team etc etc. However, I find these things so impersonal. I have only been working from home for two days and I'm already going crazy. I'm busy working but still feeling sad?

Plus, Mr Jazz and myself aren't used to being in each other's space 24 hrs a day. Now we;re sharing work space and he's bitching about me taking over the space:lol:

Feck this is a nightmare.