Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Mickson

The most impressive thing about Hannibal - and an area where he has improved a lot, is the fact that he doesn't retaliate. And God knows - I could understand if he did considering how many times he was fouled

Hannibals biggest problem is his own mentality - 3-4 months ago he started whining after 5 minutes - he has improved a lot in the last few weeks, and now he has focus on the match.
He would still get sent off every other PL game. Needless freekicks, booted the ball away in a Rooney style yesterday. I agree, he has improved, but he has much to learn in that department.

lysglimt

Scout
He would still get sent off every other PL game. Needless freekicks, booted the ball away in a Rooney style yesterday. I agree, he has improved, but he has much to learn in that department.
true - but he would also be protected more in the P.L. I always found it a bit ironic that players can get away with a lot more in the reserves and U18-level than in the P.L - there would have been 3-4 more yellow cards to Blackburn if that match was in the P.L

Mickson

true - but he would also be protected more in the P.L. I always found it a bit ironic that players can get away with a lot more in the reserves and U18-level than in the P.L - there would have been 3-4 more yellow cards to Blackburn if that match was in the P.L
Yes, I have always found it strange. Maybe it's the biggest reason that Southampton kid got sent off - he would probably be able to come away with that at U23.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He would not get sent off because he boots a ball away. In any league, ever.

GueRed

He has performed well for the u-23s this season

IMO still some way off the first team

who reckons he should go on loan next season?

Mickson

He would not get sent off because he boots a ball away. In any league, ever.
I didn't say that. But he would get a yellow for that 10 out of 10 times (but didn't yesterday) and would definitely get another yellow considering how much whining and freekicks he sometimes gives away. He already has five yellow cards and one red card in 17 appearances. If he, in theory, would do the exact same things in first-team football, he would get sent off very often.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They can afford to when their league is a forgone conclusion
They're still expected to make top 4 and advance from UCL groups consisting of much bigger teams, as we saw earlier this season. Hence it's easy to see why young teenage players (Konate, Upamecano) want to go there due to the clubs well defined model of buying cheap and selling high and actually exposing those young players to high level football both domestically and in Europe.

Dante

Average bang
He has a decent chance of making it. But he's nowhere near ready for the United first team right now, imo.

Mejbri is a player who still takes full advantage of the space and time that u23 level affords him. That's not his fault, of course. If his opponents are going to give him an advantage, it's only clever for him to take it. But compared to somebody like Greenwood who would play a much tighter game even before he graduated to the men's game, Mejbri will need to be blooded more gradually to develop that side of his game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He doesn't need space to excell because he has multiple strings to his bow which make him a big threat. His passing along with his ability to dribble in tight spaces and interchange with his team mates is already evident, which makes him a big threat against both a deep block and a high line.

rooney2009

He needs to be in the 1st team soon
Forget about loaning him out..he will thrive in a less physical premier league
He is ready and a really special talent..if he played for someone else,we would be salivating over him
I really like him and he needs to be involved from next season
SAF will not waste this talent and he is definitely good enough now
Forget about Grealish..this guy has the potential to be as good or even better

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The most impressive thing about Hannibal - and an area where he has improved a lot, is the fact that he doesn't retaliate. And God knows - I could understand if he did considering how many times he was fouled

Hannibals biggest problem is his own mentality - 3-4 months ago he started whining after 5 minutes - he has improved a lot in the last few weeks, and now he has focus on the match.
Was one of my biggest concerns about him, although always expected him to get smarter about it with age and experience. Not to sound too much like Rogers but it shows good character. Like @Mickson said, he's still got a bit to go but he's come a long way in a short time so the signs are promising. Once he stops showing opposition he's easily wound up then they'll stop lashing out at him, he'll always be targeted because he's difficult to get the ball off but I think the way in which he gets targeted will be more football-based than with ulterior motives to get him sent off.

Becks00

He has a decent chance of making it. But he's nowhere near ready for the United first team right now, imo.

Mejbri is a player who still takes full advantage of the space and time that u23 level affords him. That's not his fault, of course. If his opponents are going to give him an advantage, it's only clever for him to take it. But compared to somebody like Greenwood who would play a much tighter game even before he graduated to the men's game, Mejbri will need to be blooded more gradually to develop that side of his game.
Don't think you watch him that much if you think he needs space to play his game, for me he is arguably even better than Greenwood in those kind of situations.

IMO the biggest obstacle to him getting in the first team like so many has mentioned is his temper, he learns to control that and there is nothing stopping him.

Dante

Average bang
Don't think you watch him that much if you think he needs space to play his game, for me he is arguably even better than Greenwood in those kind of situations.

IMO the biggest obstacle to him getting in the first team like so many has mentioned is his temper, he learns to control that and there is nothing stopping him.
Don't think you watch him that much if you think he's the finished article.

Becks00

Did not say he is the finished article, he obviously still got a few things to learn. He just doesn't need space to play his game, that's all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If players were required to be the finished article before featuring in the first team nobody ever would to be fair.

Dante

Average bang
Did not say he is the finished article, he obviously still got a few things to learn. He just doesn't need space to play his game, that's all.
The main one of which is being able to operate with less space and time in the man's game. The gap between u23 and senior football is huge. If you watch enough games at both levels, you'll learn to pick up on the differences.

In Rainbows

The main one of which is being able to operate with less space and time in the man's game. The gap between u23 and senior football is huge. If you watch enough games at both levels, you'll learn to pick up on the differences.
Agreed, but Mejbri is probably best equipped to deal with the jump because of his touch, composure, and ability to dribble in tight spaces. For example, comparing to Angel Gomes, who I am a big fan of, Mejbri has the advantage. Gomes had a wonderful touch and ability to dribble in tight spaces, but his composure with defenders hounding him wasn't so good (with the ball). Gomes had composure when giving 1 touch passes, but if he already had possession of the ball at a stand still, he would panic more so than Greenwood and Mejbri. I believe this is a huge skill that Mejbri has. Subtle, but very important.

Mejbri is patient with defenders closing in on him, and will buy himself time to give the pass, dribble his way out, etc... Gomes was a bit more fidgety.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is ready and a really special talent..if he played for someone else,we would be salivating over him
Are you serious? Think of the £89million mistake...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Wood’s spot on, he’s going to get seriously hurt unless referees start offering him some protecting. The U23 league is absolutely disgusting.

Coops73

I really like Mejbri, of all the U23’s he looks the best equipped to make the step up in my opinion.

Lentwood

This is where the Spanish managers have a point about the development of young players in the English game. What do you do with a player like Mejbri now?

A) Continue to let him play u23s football.

Pro - can be developed at the club under the watchful eye of our coaches. Can also join in 1st team training and get to know future teammates.

Con - Hacked at every game by lads who will probably end up on building sites and not protected by officials. Not being challenged enough by mediocre opponents and may pick up bad habits. Big jump from winning 6-4 in u23s to all-age football.

B) Send on Loan

Pro - can get game time in all-age football. Should get more protection from officials, even if the games are more physically demanding.

Con - may not play on loan. May pick up bad habits. Would we prefer our own coaches to help guide and develop him?

C) Move into 1st team

Pro - sometimes the best thing to do is to throw a player in at the deep-end and see how they adapt! May bring him on much faster.

Con - may have confidence knocked and never recover. May struggle for minutes. May struggle physically.

Now imagine there was an option D...to play for Manchester United B in League One/Two. Surely that has every advantage of options A-C without the drawbacks?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
This is where the Spanish managers have a point about the development of young players in the English game. What do you do with a player like Mejbri now?

A) Continue to let him play u23s football.

Pro - can be developed at the club under the watchful eye of our coaches. Can also join in 1st team training and get to know future teammates.

Con - Hacked at every game by lads who will probably end up on building sites and not protected by officials. Not being challenged enough by mediocre opponents and may pick up bad habits. Big jump from winning 6-4 in u23s to all-age football.

B) Send on Loan

Pro - can get game time in all-age football. Should get more protection from officials, even if the games are more physically demanding.

Con - may not play on loan. May pick up bad habits. Would we prefer our own coaches to help guide and develop him?

C) Move into 1st team

Pro - sometimes the best thing to do is to throw a player in at the deep-end and see how they adapt! May bring him on much faster.

Con - may have confidence knocked and never recover. May struggle for minutes. May struggle physically.

Now imagine there was an option D...to play for Manchester United B in League One/Two. Surely that has every advantage of options A-C without the drawbacks?
We have too many long established teams that would miss out from the amount of B teams that would have much better funds, training facilities etc and confine a lot of those lower league teams back to the semi pro level.

Lentwood

We have too many long established teams that would miss out from the amount of B teams that would have much better funds, training facilities etc and confine a lot of those lower league teams back to the semi pro level.
Sounds harsh but what’s the future of these clubs currently?

Don’t you think it might actually help these clubs raise their profile and raise funds? Imagine a club like Accrington or Plymouth playing Utd B...surely they would get bigger crowds?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Don’t you think it might actually help these clubs raise their profile and raise funds? Imagine a club like Accrington or Plymouth playing Utd B...surely they would get bigger crowds?
My point is that those clubs would have to make way as there would be loads of B teams capable of playing at that level.

acnumber9

Because reserve team games get big crowds?

dal

:lol:

I hope this is a joke.

marktan

It would never happen, there's loads of big teams in league one and league two. Sunderland and Portsmouth for example are two teams who were recently in the PL have are stuck in league one, both have 20k+ stadiums. It's not comparable to other countries that have B teams because the football league is so well supported at lower levels.

The best option really is the loan system, though it is hit and miss. But the reality is players that aren't ready for the top level need to develop somewhere first. Someone like Januzaj for example had a bad loan spell at Sunderland, it didn't help him but he's made a decent career for himself.

Andros Townsend said going on so many loans at a young age with no support system nor any how to live, cook on your own really caused him to struggle, and affected his mental health / later gambling issues.

But the alternative is to never play at a higher level. Overall a lot of players go on loan and gain good experience.. the likes of Tuanzabe, Smith Rowe, Mount, Tammy Abraham, and Kane and Lingard further back. If you're good enough it'll show at lower levels. Never watched Mejbri but if he's as good as people say he'll likely be in the Championship next season.

Lentwood

Because reserve team games get big crowds?
I don’t know... but surely people would go and watch Amad and Mejbri in bigger numbers than travel to watch League Two clubs? Remember, they would be playing pro football now for points and cups in a proper league format.

Also... being brutally honest I don’t really care about League One/Two teams I care about what’s best for United

Remember the geese

I think that if there is a normal pre-season, then him and Amad should be on that tour. I would have both players in the first team squad next season. Amad to compete with Greenwood for game time and Hannibal initially serving as Rashford's deputy before possibly transitioning to a more central role.

acnumber9

I don’t know... but surely people would go and watch Amad and Mejbri in bigger numbers than travel to watch League Two clubs? Remember, they would be playing pro football now for points and cups in a proper league format.

Also... being brutally honest I don’t really care about League One/Two teams I care about what’s best for United
It would make their league a farce. I can’t see fans of those clubs being too keen. Thankfully the decision isn’t being placed in the hands of Man United fans.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Instead of taking over a team just link up with a smaller team within say 30k of where you are based. We give a bit of cash and some coaching and medical backup. A few friendlies, they have first refusal on players we release and we on players they sell and then we can send 2/3 of the top u23s down to them each season. It’s an absolute win win for both clubs.

Last edited:

sp_107

Are you serious? Think of the £89million mistake...
In the end it proved SAF was right all the way in Pogba's case.....What a circus with his agent and brother....and where is the consistency from 89M player?

We could have better off with someone else with that 89M money so I am with SAF on this case

Lentwood

It would make their league a farce. I can’t see fans of those clubs being too keen. Thankfully the decision isn’t being placed in the hands of Man United fans.
Can’t understand that thinking myself. Surely if you’re watching football of that standard it’s more about the community, watching your local team, going with your mates etc... what does it matter whether you’re playing Stockport or Man Utd B? Plus, the reality is most teams at that level would beat Utd/Chelsea/City u23s...so it would be competitive.

I’ve been down to Salford a couple of times, great atmosphere, good beer, great to be able to pay on the gate, great to be able to stand with mates... but the football on show is piss poor.

acnumber9

Can’t understand that thinking myself. Surely if you’re watching football of that standard it’s more about the community, watching your local team, going with your mates etc... what does it matter whether you’re playing Stockport or Man Utd B? Plus, the reality is most teams at that level would beat Utd/Chelsea/City u23s...so it would be competitive.

I’ve been down to Salford a couple of times, great atmosphere, good beer, great to be able to pay on the gate, great to be able to stand with mates... but the football on show is piss poor.
Because you’ve rendered your league a training ground for bigger clubs. How can a league not be a farce when you parachute teams into it and then make it so they can’t be promoted or relegated?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Because you’ve rendered your league a training ground for bigger clubs. How can a league not be a farce when you parachute teams into it and then make it so they can’t be promoted or relegated?
the same players are going to be loaned down the league anyway. That side of things is fine. I agree PL clubs shouldn’t be propping up and financially doping the smaller clubs but there’s a sweet spot there that would benefit everyone.