Hard Decisions need to be made

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its time to make some hard decisions isnt it.

DDG is reaching the end of the road. A fantastic keeper but his decline is all to evident and his performances are costing dearly. It might be time for him to be moved on in the summer time.
Whether Henderson is his replacement is a different discussion but DDG isnt doing it anymore.

Harry Maguire - If this team is to challenge for titles at the top table we need an upgrade on him. He is simply bang average and his mistakes are far too frequent. Not the rock we can build a foundation on. I dont see him being sold but we need a better CB to play alongside him and cover his frequent errors.

Rashford - how many chances does he need to score? He isnt as good as some blinkered fans think. We need an upgrade in his position or at least a viable 2nd player to keep Rashford sharp and make him improve/give him an opportunity to rest.

Martial - Needs to be sold for an upgrade. He doesnt have many supporters left.

If you look at those 4 names you can see a real issue, they are main first 11 players really, and quite alot of experience, but they are just not good enough. Ole has done a good job for the most part in clearing out the deadwood but he's now looking at uncomfortable decision time.

To challenge for a league and CL we need to get better players in key positions and that means hard decisions for the manger.

bsCallout

DDG is reaching the end of the road. A fantastic keeper but his decline is all to evident and his performances are costing dearly. It might be time for him to be moved on in the summer time.
Whether Henderson is his replacement is a different discussion but DDG isnt doing it anymore.

Harry Maguire - If this team is to challenge for titles at the top table we need an upgrade on him. He is simply bang average and his mistakes are far too frequent. Not the rock we can build a foundation on. I dont see him being sold but we need a better CB to play alongside him and cover his frequent errors.

Rashford - how many chances does he need to score? He isnt as good as some blinkered fans think. We need an upgrade in his position or at least a viable 2nd player to keep Rashford sharp and make him improve/give him an opportunity to rest.

If you look at those 4 names you can see a real issue, they are main first 11 players really, and quite alot of experience, but they are just not good enough. Ole has done a good job for the most part in clearing out the deadwood but he's now looking at uncomfortable decision time.

To challenge for a league and CL we need to get better players in key positions and that means hard decisions for the manger.
Just don't agree to be honest.

Our team have scored enough. Cavani will still be with us next season.

Maguire is good enough but is exposed by a lack of a top GK, CB or CDM around him.

Both Rashford and Martial aren't even in their prime. We also have Greenwood who will be looked to get that CF spot. Diallo will add a better balance at RW.

The players you should have listed imo are:
DDG
LINDELOF
FRED

hubbuh

DDG needs upgrading (probably won't happen. The curse of the Man Utd mega-contract strikes again). Our CB options need upgrading. We don't have a DM (Matic is finished, Fred and McTominay aren't DMs). Pogba's situation needs sorting (best to sell him now and get what we can). A forward would be a nice addition, but I'm convinced Grealish would solve that issue and the Pogba problem in one fell swoop. He can compete with Rashford for the LW spot as and when and we can play him in Pogba's position assuming we can get a commanding CB and DM in behind him. GK (doubtful), CB, DM, and Grealish would be the bee's knees. Haaland in 2022. Sorted!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Rashford has 16 goals this season as a wide player. Agree with the rest

future2future

Maguire has it's uses: His ball playing is strong, don't forget Pep really wanted him at City because of that, defensively he isn't too bad but needs a real world class defender next to him and I think we'll appreciate him for his strong sides then.

Maguire is good enough but is exposed by a lack of a top GK, CB or CDM around him.

Both Rashford and Martial aren't even in their prime. We also have Greenwood who will be looked to get that CF spot. Diallo will add a better balance at RW.

DDG
LINDELOF
FRED
Harsh on Fred, he’s fine as a squad player but yes, if we’re talking first 11, these are the clear 3.

Betson

Rashford still getting stick is baffling.
Agree , he is the very least of our worries ,indeed he is not a worry at all. People expecting him to light it up every week. He is top player whom we are lucky to have.

Thought Greenwood looked very good last night , a player who has the potential to be a superstar.

Our issues are not that end of the pitch(although I wish Cavani were a few years younger) , no matter how good we are going forward we cannot win anything without a major overhaul of the center of our defense.

As it stands neither of center backs or Keeper are good enough , this is where the manager has to be ruthless.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We won’t win anything all the time Solskjaer is manager.

Matt851

Agree , he is the very least of our worries ,indeed he is not a worry at all. People expecting him to light it up every week. He is top player whom we are lucky to have.

Thought Greenwood looked very good last night , a player who has the potential to be a superstar.

Our issues are not that end of the pitch(although I wish Cavani were a few years younger) , no matter how good we are going forward we cannot win anything without a major overhaul of the center of our defense.

As it stands neither of center backs or Keeper are good enough , this is where the manager has to be ruthless.
He does frustrate me at times but his output this season shows an inprovement. There a few better wide forwards in europe at his age so i do think the moaning is over the top

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Realistically we will probably upgrade on Lindelof and use Pogba money for a defensive-minded midfielder who can sit comforteably in front of back 4. This will elevate us as a team. Rashford, Greenwood will only get better even if they are not quite there yet. Cavani doesn't look like he won't give us another season.

I have no idea what to do with the goalkeeper position though- the one I'd like us to upgrade on first.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea - Agree. Love the guy and wish it wasn't so but he is a problem.

Maguire - Realistically it's a Lindelof upgrade we'll be looking for, so you should have cited him instead. But in principle yes, we need improvement in that area.

Rashford - He might not be as good as some fans think but he is still very good. We shouldn't be relying on him as much though but that'd be way down my list of priorities.

Martial - Agree. He has flattered to deceive for too long. If we could upgrade him we should. Particularly as Cavani (for all his quality) is aging and some season soon will no longer be good enough.

You could also have mentioned midfield, where Pogba's future remains uncertain, Matic continues to age and neither Fred nor McTominay are top class players. Decisive action needs to be taken there too to provide us with a linchpin.

And of course RW, where we've needed someone for years.

McGrathsipan

DDG
LINDELOF
FRED
We cant build a team around Maguire. We need him to be partner to a better CB. He makes mistakes all too often. Having better players around him wont stop him making mistakes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Agree in general with much of this - particularly DDG and Martial - but if Maguire is the problem, dropping his CB isn't the answer. I'd like to see how Billy and Lindelof get on as a pair. Maguire's performances should see him start on the bench. If that doesn't work, then we ned to buy a world-class CB (something I said at eh get-go Maguire will never be)

El Zoido

We won’t win anything all the time Solskjaer is manager.
Difficult to say, but he’s done a tremendous job up to this point. The team is light years away from the nightmare Mourinho left him so he definitely needs and deserves more time to continue to build the squad. I don’t know how anyone can definitively state he won’t win anything without coming across like they have an agenda. I’d have bit your hand off to be second in the table at this stage of the season. He’s overachieving.

Main issue really is that none of AWB, Maguire, or Lindelof are good enough. Perhaps defence is a weakness in Ole’s recruiting, but let’s not forget Pep has spent half a billion on defenders for City before seemingly finally getting it right. Problem for us is that we can’t afford to bin off an £80m player if it turns out he’s not quite working out.

First priority for me is to find a better player to partner Maguire, because both centre halves need replacing and Maguire won’t be the first one to go. He’s the most expensive and also the captain, so let’s get a better partner for him first and see. We do look like a better defensive unit when Bailly is alongside him, but he’s simply too injury prone to be relied upon. Had enough of AWB too, not enough game intelligence.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Rashford still getting stick is baffling.
He was not a big problem yesterday, people obviously think we need another 9 goals for us to be safe. That was all on the defence and either lack of talent or lack or organisational coaching. He has to phase DDG out, except you know the next game he will have a stormer and his position in the team will be safe for another day.

bsCallout

We cant build a team around Maguire. We need him to be partner to a better CB. He makes mistakes all too often. Having better players around him wont stop him making mistakes.
As I've said in another post.

City have Ederson and Rodrigo/Fernandinho either side.

Liverpool have Allison and Fabinho/Henderson either side.

We have DDG and Fred/Matic either side.

Whilst I agree a better CB next to Maguire is ideal, he is surrounded by dross, unlike the better teams. Even Leicester have better either side.

McGrathsipan

De Gea - Agree. Love the guy and wish it wasn't so but he is a problem.

Maguire - Realistically it's a Lindelof upgrade we'll be looking for, so you should have cited him instead. But in principle yes, we need improvement in that area.

Rashford - He might not be as good as some fans think but he is still very good. We shouldn't be relying on him as much though but that'd be way down my list of priorities.

Martial - Agree. He has flattered to deceive for too long. If we could upgrade him we should. Particularly as Cavani (for all his quality) is aging and some season soon will no longer be good enough.

You could also have mentioned midfield, where Pogba's future remains uncertain, Matic continues to age and neither Fred nor McTominay are top class players. Decisive action needs to be taken there too to provide us with a linchpin.

And of course RW, where we've needed someone for years.
I agree for Midfield and RW, but they are the easy decisions. The hard ones are the players I mentioned. Lindelof isnt good enough at all, agreed, but neither is Maguire and it wouldnt be that hard for the mind to accept that Lindelof could be moved on. Thinking about Maguire and his transfer fee makes it harder. In theory for that fee he should be rock solid. He is far from it. I am not saying sell but he is a problem.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Difficult to say, but he’s done a tremendous job up to this point. The team is light years away from the nightmare Mourinho left him so he definitely needs and deserves more time to continue to build the squad. I don’t know how anyone can definitively state he won’t win anything without coming across like they have an agenda. I’d have bit your hand off to be second in the table at this stage of the season. He’s overachieving.

Main issue really is that none of AWB, Maguire, or Lindelof are good enough. Perhaps defence is a weakness in Ole’s recruiting, but let’s not forget Pep has spent half a billion on defenders for City before seemingly finally getting it right. Problem for us is that we can’t afford to bin off an £80m player if it turns out he’s not quite working out.

First priority for me is to find a better player to partner Maguire, because both centre halves need replacing and Maguire won’t be the first one to go. He’s the most expensive and also the captain, so let’s get a better partner for him first and see. We do look like a better defensive unit when Bailly is alongside him, but he’s simply too injury prone to be relied upon. Had enough of AWB too, not enough game intelligence.
Think giving Maguire the captaincy was a mistake. He is nowhere near captaincy material. He is far too quiet and for all his size is not intimidating enough.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
DDG - He's here to stay. He wont be moved on anytime soon and there's no great GK out there, from what I know, who is on the market other than possibly Donnarumma. Do we want another Raiola client ?

Maguire - Again, due to the fee involved and his immaculate injury record, he's not going to be replaced anytime soon. Personally I think he's a good defender but his play is solely dependant on a particular style.
As we saw last night, you're playing a huge risk if you're playing a higher line.
I put most of that blame on Ole though. We were comfortable. 2-0 up and we had very little need to increase our advantage. Shut up shop and play the game out. Now was a time to be pragmatic. But we've seen this failure from Ole before in the CL games.

Rashford - Easy, he needs competition. Bring in a Sancho or Grealish and we should see a response and if he doesn't respond then move him on.
Technically with the ball he's good but he's too much of a headless chicken at times. Shows too much tunnel vision.

Martial - 50/50 on him. He's in poor form but he's still one of the few players in the team who are class in tight spaces. Get him back on form and he'll continue to be a valuable member of the squad. Give him another season, granted I know some fans think he's had too many chances though.

Okey

DDG
LINDELOF
FRED
I'm with you. Those are the most pressing needs. New GK is of course doubtful but we have to get a top CB and DM. Grealish for Pogba too and we're sorted for next season. For all our hit and miss attack, scoring goals isn't a problem at the moment and Cavani will be here next season.

lilcurt

Our big problem is Maguire, we bought him in and Ole threw his hat on him a club captain. This has seemingly made him undroppable, he needs 3 or 4 weeks out the team to demonstrate that performances matter and see how a defence of a different pair of CB can fair. We are shipping goals for fun, there isn't any point just rotating around him.

bsCallout

Our big problem is Maguire, we bought him in and Ole threw his hat on him a club captain. This has seemingly made him undroppable, he needs 3 or 4 weeks out the team to demonstrate that performances matter and see how a defence of a different pair of CB can fair. We are shipping goals for fun, there isn't any point just rotating around him.
Out of all the players round him, Maguire is our best. Fred needs replacing at CDM. DDG needed replacing 2 years ago. LINDELOF is as average as they come.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That's all well and good but outside of Maguire and Lindelof no-one is consistently as fit.
We cant change the CB positions up because no one is reliable outside of the two who started last night.
Bailly is already back on the treatment table.

siw2007

I agree on DDG, I think he has reached the point where he needs a new challenge to reinvigorate and reenergise his career as it’s in a slow decline here.

Disagree on the others. Rashford did a lot of good work yesterday and throughout the season. No way he needs to be replaced, more competition is always welcome however. Disagree on Maguire too who apart from a rocky start has been very good this year also.

What we need is a handful of top quality recruits in defence and midfield. A top quality central defender who can compliment Maguire and a top class central midfielder who can dominate a game from the base of midfield. Henderson to be given a shot at the GK position before we throw loads of money at it and tie down Cavani for next season, he is exactly what we should be looking for in a centre forward position.

The Original

On Rashford, I think he is fine. We just need to accept that he might need 3 or 4 chances to score one, which means we'll be needing a main man like Cavani. In principle, the connection showed its promise yesterday. The right-wing needs a similar profile of a player to Rashford, and all will be well. Martial might be best moving on at this point...his best trait is dribbling but he barely shows this these days.

Okey

Jan Oblak also says ' I'm winning titles and I dont need to move'.
Oh but you know he can be got if we want him. He'll finish this season a league champion. It's Manchester United. So long as we're in the champions league, it's up to us if we want him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oh but you know he can be got if we want him. He'll finish this season a league champion. It's Manchester United. So long as we're in the champions league, it's up to us if we want him.
I like the idea of giving them back DG in return but I just cant see it.

Not sure how highly rated DDG is back in his homeland nowadays.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
No hard decisions at all. The only decisions which need to happen and most of them probably will:

- Make Henderson a regular. For me he is overrated and has made too many mistakes already in the few games he has played for us. But DDG has been heading downwards so just start playing Henderson who at least has the potential to improve.

- Maguire is here to stay and will look much better with a reliable CB partner and a quality DM. We need to buy both and sell Bailly. Lindelöf can at least stay fit most of the time. Let’s not forget how clownish some of Pep’s CBs at City have looked before he decided to focus on his defence this season.

- RW: Buy Sancho if the price is reasonable and rotate him with Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Diallo. If we don’t buy him then buy a CF instead. Sell James once we have bought a RW/CF.

- Sell Pogba, buy Grealish. If we need more money to buy him then sell VdB as well.

Easy:)

Falcow

Agree on 3 of the 4. I think Maguire is fine but he needs a suitable partner and it's not Lindelof. I've been saying this since we signed Maguire, they are both good players but do not compliment each other well as they have the same weaknesses and qualities.

DDG - why are we still talking about him? Should have been dropped about 18 months ago but on and on it drags, for how long more can this be allowed? I think much of the instability at the back is down to him.

Rashford is fine as an impact sub, that's it. Martial needs to be replaced, end of.

I would also include AWB, his only strength is being able to slide tackle and he is pretty fast to be fair, however in all other aspects of his game, he is weak, positioning is poor and he just generally seems a bit clueless defensively and particularly when on the ball. So I think we need an upgrade here as well, some competition at the very least.

It is all doable that's the good news. Will Ole make thise hard calls however, that's the question.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

DDG- 100% agreed. Same mistakes for a couple of seasons now. Genuinely sick of him.

Maguire- Can be given time I think. Just needs a consistent CB next to him who is very good.

Rashford- Incredibly frustrating. Selfish (on the pitch before anyone attacks me), inconsistent, needs 6 chances to score. We're not winning the league if he's starting every single game for us.

Martial- Needs to be upgraded. Old man Cavani has shown him up this season in 6 months already.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its money. As it always boils down to. It depends on how much we've got and how much others have got (if we're thinking of moving certain players on).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maguire won’t be sold & Rashford is a nailed on starter. Neither will ever be dropped, despite both being nowhere near title winner standard.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

DDG
LINDELOF
FRED
:lol:
That's a good one

Red_toad

Yeah let’s drop our best central defender, that’ll show him, maybe Jones will manage a week of fitness whilst he’s out, as Axel and Eric have shown they’re struggling constantly with injuries. I hope you know we have 2 central defenders in the squad who aren’t carrying injuries currently and one of them is playing pretty much every game as his understudies can’t be relied on. Harry is droppable as he’s the best we have, bloody lunacy wanting him dropped to teach him a lesson.