Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
United have signed England U16s left back Harry Amass from Watford, as has been rumoured for a few months now. Chelsea, Leeds and Palace made offers to him, City were apparently interested too. Amass was on Watford’s bench as a 15-year old in their FA Cup fixfure earlier this year.

His contract ran out so no direct transfer fee involved but I believe we’ll pay a compensation to Watford.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm Amassed we managed to get this kid.

nav_10

I'm so Harry we've signed this kid... So Harry!

More than you can believe!

Chief123

Probably be shit and sold in 6 years time to FC Twente for £2m.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Hopefully ten Hag will give him some minutes off the bench.

If he's not a regular starter by the end of next season then we should sell.

Also, needs to bulk up.

top1whoisman

Scout
A question regarding Romano's tweet: Am I wrong in saying that a 16-year old can only sign a 3-year contract as the maximum length?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A question regarding Romano's tweet: Am I wrong in saying that a 16-year old can only sign a 3-year contract as the maximum length?

Sort of, although they often include various clauses for the best talents, like guaranteed contract extension at 17 etc.

prateik

Apparently you can sign a 3 year contract at 17.. he is 16, so its a pre contract agreement.. which might be till 2027..
so that's where he is probably getting 4 years from.

top1whoisman

Scout
Sort of, although they often include various clauses for the best talents, like guaranteed contract extension at 17 etc.
Apparently you can sign a 3 year contract at 17.. he is 16, so its a pre contract agreement.. which might be till 2027..
so that's where he is probably getting 4 years from.
Cheers guys. Yeah guess it's one of those guaranteed pro contracts at 17 as you said.

Gungerz

Most scholars at big clubs nowadays have pre-agreed pro contracts that they'll sign as soon as they turn 17.

Bertie Wooster

Glad to see a highly rated LB signed.

I didn't think much of the last group of U18 left backs - Logan Pye and Sam Murray. And often, when Murray didn't play, we had a right footed full back filling in there.

Also Zach Giggs, a LB who would have been stepping up to the U18's, has left for Sheffield United. So it's an area I think we needed to fill - though I think Bendito Mantato can also play there - and glad to see the club has landed a sought after youngster in that position.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.

Last edited:

We need an rvn

Glad to see a highly rated LB signed.

I didn't think much of the last group of U18 left backs - Logan Pye and Sam Murray. And often, when Murray didn't play, we had a right footed full back filling in there.

Also Zach Giggs, a LB who would have been stepping up to the U18's, has left for Sheffield United. So it's an area I think we needed to fill, and glad to see the club has landed a sought after youngster in that position.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.
You're forgetting the Spanish LB we signed from R Madrid, the one Barca / City etc were apparently in for as well - Alvaro Fernandez. Just turned 20 and went sent out on loan to Preston where he played 39 matches. Was named U23 player of the year last year as well. Quietly going under the radar but I think big things are hoped of him.

But, I'm very happy with these youth international signings like Amass.

Bertie Wooster

You're forgetting the Spanish LB we signed from R Madrid, the one Barca / City etc were apparently in for as well - Alvaro Fernandez. Just turned 20 and went sent out on loan to Preston where he played 39 matches. Was named U23 player of the year last year as well. Quietly going under the radar but I think big things are hoped of him.

But, I'm very happy with these youth international signings like Amass.
I wasn't forgetting Fernandez - I've loved watching him play in the U21's and followed his loan at Preston.

But, as you say, he's now 20, and only stayed with the U18's a short while before getting promoted to the U21's. So I was talking about the last couple of years in the U18's with the injury prone Logan Pye, the OK but limited Sam Murray, and a few different right backs filling in at left back.

But happy to see Amass joining. And not sure if Mantato is mainly a CM or a left back, but he's someone who I see getting mentioned positively as he's coming through the youth ranks.

Demaw

Gee, he looked very good yesterday against Reading. Impressive on the ball, technically good and moved well.

lysglimt

Scout
Gee, he looked very good yesterday against Reading. Impressive on the ball, technically good and moved well.
One of the more impressive debuts I have seen at this level - I have seen a lot of really talented players look a bit withdrawn in their first couple of games and needing some time to adapt. He took charge and showed his quality from the first minute. He will probably end up as captain in the odd game within 12 months if he isn't moved up to the U21 before that.

GueRed

I think he has settled in seamlessly and has started really well.

I know he's still very young but with so many injuries and uncertainty to the full-backs in the first team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up in future first team squads this season...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.