Harry Kane - 2015/16 performances

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
No need to get worked up.
The point was since Roy plays Rooney it affects the team including Kane and Alli. They've been below average not just the last match though.
And the rest of the team?? All been brilliant have they? Just Kane and Alli solely responsible to England's demise>

ZAGREB RED

I can't quite believe that was the same Harry Kane in those 4 games that was virtually unstoppable for Spurs last season, it was if he had been replaced by a doppelganger.

Minimalist

Said from the first game my opinion was he looked tired.

Maybe not the best excuse but still feel that was the problem. Also the midfield behind him was awfully unproductive.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I wouldn't write him off based on the back of one tournament. Do think this has exposed some of his limitations in relation to being a CL quality forward for a top team and this proves he has some more development to undergo before being the genuine article up front and it proves he isn't a Zlatanesque striker.. which is what England were trying to do by making him take set pieces.

Surround him with pace and trickery and I am sure he can do much better than this next time. He needs to be wary though because someone like Rashford if he lives up to the hype has the potential to make him look pedestrian and very average in comparison.

kenny19

His awful performances was really a byproduct of an awful English side. He had no support from the midfield and played next to winger daniel sturridge and donkey sterling. There was literally no creative maestro in that team. I wouldn't judge him based on his England performances and neither should anyone. He is a very good player and that's just it. In a good team he would thrive just as much as he would suck in a bad team.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
The real question is how the feck did Hodgson watch that and decide to keep him on set-pieces for so long?
Since he was doing it on Hodgson's instruction in the first place, I guess Hodgson was reluctant to admit he got it wrong and take Kane off set piece duty.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Since he was doing it on Hodgson's instruction in the first place, I guess Hodgson was reluctant to admit he got it wrong and take Kane off set piece duty.
Yeah that's what I imagine, and wouldn't put it past Hodgson who seems an incredibly stubborn prick.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I can't quite believe that was the same Harry Kane in those 4 games that was virtually unstoppable for Spurs last season, it was if he had been replaced by a doppelganger.
Spurs play to his strenghts and plus he has Christian Eriksen setting him up and in form Ali instead of a pass crossfield to full back Rooney, I cant take on a man Sterling and a meh Lallana.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
And the rest of the team?? All been brilliant have they? Just Kane and Alli solely responsible to England's demise>
Where did I say that? Although this is the Kane thread it seem to have struck a nerve that he rightly gets critisized.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah that's what I imagine, and wouldn't put it past Hodgson who seems an incredibly stubborn prick.
The two biggest questions I'd love to ask Hodgson are why did he wait until the 87th minute to bring Rashford on and why did he keep Kane on set pieces .

It's honestly up there as the most baffling decisions I've seen in football.

00ivatsa

They all failed as a team, from the goalkeeper to the striker. Don't see how only Rooney is at fault, or only Kane.

If there is one individual, who should take most of the blame, that is Roy Hodgson. He looked absolutely hopeless against Iceland, had no idea what to change in order to turn the game around. Not starting Vardy is also criminal, especially after the group stages. His movement would have created so much more space for the midfielders, who were under constant pressure in the last game. Dier was overkill in a match, where England should be dominating heavily. And don't get me started on the set pieces...

Overall, the tactics were abysmal and the team mentality was missing - these are always the causes for England's early exit in every international tournament.

Reactions: Akshay

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I thought it was quite funny;

ravi2

The two biggest questions I'd love to ask Hodgson are why did he wait until the 87th minute to bring Rashford on and why did he keep Kane on set pieces .

It's honestly up there as the most baffling decisions I've seen in football.

Hodgson just strikes me as a shit manager.
He was shit at Livers and he was more shit at England.

The real problem here is the English FA for hiring such shit.

Donut

He has crumbled under the pressure. I'm not sure if he'd be able to handle the weight of expectations of playing for a huge club like us. He needs to build himself up again.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He has crumbled under the pressure. I'm not sure if he'd be able to handle the weight of expectations of playing for a huge club like us. He needs to build himself up again.
I wouldn't build yourself up too much: your expectations this coming season are to play in the EL. Kane's expectations at Spurs are somewhat what higher.

ZAGREB RED

Spurs play to his strenghts and plus he has Christian Eriksen setting him up and in form Ali instead of a pass crossfield to full back Rooney, I cant take on a man Sterling and a meh Lallana.
Agreed. i think it's harsh the way a lot of people are singling him out, but I think it's only because he had such a great season he was maybe expected to carry it on into the Euros. i don't think any England player can look back on the tournament and say they did OK.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wrong !! His first experience of nothing going right was the start of season just gone. One goal in first nine games, all the shots that were going in the season before, weren't going in at start of last season. However, he came through it with flying colours, scoring 24 goals in the remainder of the season. He'll come through these England performances as well. All strikers have lean spells, the better ones come through it successfully.
I don't think there was nationwide analysis on it though. He won't have experienced this.

Can he recover?
I half hope not, because some of your fans are insufferable, and we need to catch you up!

djdhrubs

He looks physically and mentally spent. Probably and combo of Pochettino's exhausting playing style and Spurs' dramatic collapse at the end of the season. He needs to be on a beach.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I wouldn't build yourself up too much: your expectations this coming season are to play in the EL. Kane's expectations at Spurs are somewhat what higher.
Doesn't matter what his expectations are if he can't deliver in European games. You should try to wait a bit before gloating as I can easily see your overhyped players not making past group stages and missing out on top 4 next season when the pressure will be on after the glorious 3rd place last season.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
Doesn't matter what his expectations are if he can't deliver in European games. You should try to wait a bit before gloating as I can easily see your overhyped players not making past group stages and missing out on top 4 next season when the pressure will be on after the glorious 3rd place last season.
He already has delivered in European games, for the last three seasons. The last time everybody said "spurs won't make it past the group stages, they reached the quarter finals, knocked out by Real Madrid but keep on hoping. There's no guarantee anybody will get top 4 next season, and that includes Man Utd.

Vicar of Dibbly

Supports
Spurs
I don't think there was nationwide analysis on it though. He won't have experienced this.

Can he recover?
I half hope not, because some of your fans are insufferable, and we need to catch you up!
There was pretty much nationwide analysis, most couldn't wait to brand him a one season wonder. All those that called him such at the end of the previous season were elated that they were "right". But in fact they were wrong. You think spurs fans are "insufferable"?? You think Man Utd as well as the other 18 teams in the PL haven't all got some insufferable fans? Anyway, you might catch up, time will tell, keep on "half hoping" :)

James_42

Aye Rooney is the reason Kane's touch went to complete shit, for his lack of movement and for his shooting skills to completely desert him, it's all Rooney's fault!

Why do people need to blame other players for his terrible tournament? it happens many top players can't cope with the pressure and choke in the big tournaments.
Kane could have been playing with Toni Kroos or another world class midfielder instead of Rooney and it wouldn't have made a difference to Kane and his terrible performances.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He already has delivered in European games, for the last three seasons. The last time everybody said "spurs won't make it past the group stages, they reached the quarter finals, knocked out by Real Madrid but keep on hoping. There's no guarantee anybody will get top 4 next season, and that includes Man Utd.
I must have missed him playing in CL. CL games , even Euro games against so called minnows like Kane has just seen in recent weeks, is completely different to 38 PL games end even then they could not deliver when it mattered and ended up 3rd.
I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester actually does better than Spurs in CL next season.

What I know from United or even Chelsea over the years and decades is that once you start properly competing domestically and are regularly involved in title races and in the end win some domestic trophies, only then your players and managers can go even one step further and reach CL end stages. Especially if the manager has not much winning experience himself.

Look at City, won their first trophy under the new regime in 2011 and have been in CL since then having won several domestic trophies and still only last season could progress to CL semis.

But of course with Spurs it's nothing new, one decent (not even great) PL season and they think they have made it. Anyway for now the football world can enjoy Kane 's Euros highlights.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He had a crap tournament but he'd also just gone off the back of being pretty much Spurs' only natural forward. It wouldn't surprise me if he was just knackered and he gets another 20 odd goals next season. He also suffered from Hodgson refusing to change anything. When your player looks so poor and quite frankly legless, and you've got a 29 year old in the prime of his life Vardy on the bench raring to go why would you stick with Kane? He's a quality player no doubt but when you're that fatigued it makes no sense to keep playing him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its hilarious to blame Rooney for everything that goes wrong. Alli and Kane were terrible. Hopeless. You can't blame another player if the shooting or touch or movement is poor. Then there is this 'lesser chances' argument. Can't the same be applied to defend Rooney's 1st half of the season performances? He just wasn't getting chances!
It's not shocking IMO tat Spurs players flopped. I liked Alli and Kane and would have been happy, but Poch's men do get overrated. It's his ability as a manager to get everyone play at their absolute potential. It happened with Southampton, and it's happening here

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Agreed. i think it's harsh the way a lot of people are singling him out, but I think it's only because he had such a great season he was maybe expected to carry it on into the Euros. i don't think any England player can look back on the tournament and say they did OK.
I feel even Rashford will have come back feeling he has let the english fans down,I am hoping he hasn't due to the fact he did play well in the very limited game time.

ZAGREB RED

I feel even Rashford will have come back feeling he has let the english fans down,I am hoping he hasn't due to the fact he did play well in the very limited game time.
Yes, I'm sure he won't be feeling good at all just now, same as all the England players, but in the limited time he had he did pretty well, so that is something for him to try and build on personally.

Cockney-Red

I do rate Kane, but when he was dropped for Vardy at half time vs Wales. He should of stayed on the bench. it was already so obvious just how out of form he was.

He also looked really tired and lethargic on the warm up games leading up to the tournament.

Revan

Assumptionman
When did that happen?