Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100m with a year left on his contract. I hope the club have learnt from past mistakes but I doubt it.

croadyman

I thought ETH would want a more intense, pressing forward, even if he were not a objectively “good” as Kane. This seems like exactly the kind of signing United have been going for for the last decade.
That is Osimhen and if they really want £100m for Kane then why not just pay the extra it takes to get him instead.

Last edited:

gajender

100m with a year left on his contract. I hope the club have learnt from past mistakes but I doubt it.
For me price is irrelevant his profile is all wrong even if he is available for sensible fee of 60-70m I would still prefer United to find somebody else who is more suitable for us .

ROFLUTION

Find it annoying when ignorant posters argue otherwise based on vibes. Here are some facts.

Found this article from last year for knockout game record for club and country.

2015 League Cup semi-final: First leg vs Sheffield United – no goal or assist
2015 League Cup semi-final: Second leg vs Sheffield United – no goal, one assist
2015 League Cup final vs Chelsea – no goal or assist
2017 FA Cup semi-final vs Chelsea – one goal
2018 FA Cup semi-final vs Man United – no goal or assist
2018 World Cup semi-final vs Croatia – no goal or assist
2019 League Cup semi-final first leg vs Chelsea – one goal
2019 Champions League final vs Liverpool – no goal or assist
2021 League Cup semi-final vs Brentford – no goal or assist
2021 League Cup final vs Man City – no goal or assist
Euro 2020 semi-final vs Denmark – one goal
Euros 2020 final vs Italy – no goal or assist
2022 League Cup semi-final first leg vs Chelsea – no goal or assist

Spent 10 minutes going through Spurs' Champions League games over the last few seasons to look for Kane's goalscoring in the big games (not minnows):

22/23: no big games, only 1 penalty in this year's entire CL campaign against Frankfurt.
19/20: 1 penalty against Bayern
18/19 (their best ever CL campaign): 1 goal each against Barcelona (group stage), Dortmund (r16), no goals in quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final

Here is a reddit post from a Spurs fan from 2 years ago highlighting how poor Kane has been against top 6 opposition - he's not gotten better since.

"So in terms of goals in big games, Kane’s tally is 3, 2, 5, 5, 3, which amounts to a total of 18 goals in 46 games, 6 of them penalties
Honestly shocked at this return when I ended up doing further research, especially 16-17, which is when we were at our peak. 12 open play goals from 46 games is not that impressive though
In terms of distribution, 6 of these 18 goals came against Arsenal, 3 came against Leicester, 4 against Man United, 4 against Liverpool, 1 against Chelsea, and none against City"

Harry Kane has historically been statistically poor at scoring or assisting in big games for both club and country. That's a simple fact.
we could both be statpicking but club level this season:

9 goal involvements and 2 blanks against the usual top 6 this season (arse, city, united, newcastle, liverpool).

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I’m not going to read 100+ pages of this thread but I will say that imo Kane is wrong for us. He’ll be too expensive on initial and final outlay.
We should invest in a better scouting network.

Mainoldo

I’m not going to read 100+ pages of this thread but I will say that imo Kane is wrong for us. He’ll be too expensive on initial and final outlay.
If you can’t name the alternatives the point is useless.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
So what did you mean by this:
Looked that way to me to be honest. “The teams Kane’s in remain on the periphery because he doesn’t show up…” Did you mean something else?
The bolded bit, just like the post I quoted, says that Kane holds his team back. In general.

My point relates only to the big games, first of all. Even within that - all I'm saying is that the defence of his teammates not being good enough can be easily flipped on its head by claiming Kane is not good enough for them because it's all subjective. What is not subjective is that he's historically underperformed in key games for both club and country. You can have results, or you can have excuses.

we could both be statpicking but club level this season:

9 goal involvements and 2 blanks against the usual top 6 this season (arse, city, united, newcastle, liverpool).
Firstly, a quick look at WhoScored shows that's not true.

Arsenal: 0 g/a home, 1 penalty away,
City: 1 goal home, 0 g/a away
United: 0 g/a away, 1 assist home
Newcastle: 1 goal home, 1 goal away
Liverpool: 1 goal home

4 goals from open play, 1 penalty, 1 assist. That's 6 involvements, not 9. 3 blanks, not 2.

Even if it were right, it'd be an outlier in a distribution whose mean makes my point.

(And to complete the picture for this season, he had 1 penalty and 1 assist in the CL group stages - neither were against AC Milan.)

Pickle85

The bolded bit, just like the post I quoted, says that Kane holds his team back. In general.

My point relates only to the big games, first of all. Even within that - all I'm saying is that the defence of his teammates not being good enough can be easily flipped on its head by claiming Kane is not good enough for them because it's all subjective. What is not subjective is that he's historically underperformed in key games for both club and country. You can have results, or you can have excuses.

4 goals from open play, 1 penalty, 1 assist. That's 6 involvements, not 9. 3 blanks, not 2.

Even if it were right, it'd be an outlier in a distribution whose mean makes my point.

(And to complete the picture for this season, he had 1 penalty and 1 assist in the CL group stages - neither were against AC Milan.)
You can use stats all you want but your point is still ridiculous. Anyone with eyes and a brain knows that Harry Kane has been one of the best number nines in the world for the past five seasons or so. His record in semi finals and finals isn't great, sure, but spurs aren't a team that one would expect to challenge for major honors. The notion that he holds them back is utterly laughable.

So which do you think is more likely, that he's holding spurs back, or spurs are holding him back?

You just don't like the player, which is fine, but you're making yourself look silly with these sorts of claims.

Reyoji-Utd

Kane is the best and sure thing striker for us if we can get him. Posters argue that we shouldnt get him because of age, price, wage, bottling mentality, his profile of not staying in or around the box, but who else should we get that tick all the box.

Lets see, oshimen is the box type striker but he is only that and he might get us 20-30 goals but that would take away from Rashford goals too i think and i think we dont want to have the situationike Ronaldo when we have to focus on trying to get the ball to oshmen for him to score cause he dont offer much link up play. Hes probably is the most sure thing after Kane but still have questions. Also, he is not the profile we currently are playing.

Hoijlund is still too young and im sure if we get him we wont have any chance to win PL or CL the next 2-3 years.

Evan Ferguson is a non starter when we have Brighton to deal with. They want to keep him for atleast 2 years and this summer only maybe Caicedo and Mac Caslister are allowed to leave. Beside he is the same like Hoijlund.

Kolo Muani is probably after Oshimen and i like to get him if we cant get Kane becaue of how he play and the profile he offer is what we are looking for (paly like Martial, can hold the ball and turn, link up, pace, press, good size, have the gaols in him...ect. However, question remain that only this season he explode and he might not continue his form from Bundi to us like we have from Bundi purchase.

Really the reason that i want kane as first option and K Muani as second is how we are playing currently. We play with striker that can link up the play and make the play fluid and share the goals between the front 3/4. Its just that the fonts players are not on their peak yet except Rashford. Bruno use to have a lot of goals in him but not this season, Antony is trying to get the goals and hes getting in the position to be able to get those goals (let him develop, it took Robben a few years to get to where he was with his tradmark goals), Wout and Martial (we know...) so if we can get Kane innplace of Martial then we will add more goals to the team. Oshimen will more likely absorb the goals from the teams becaud thats what his style is. If we have the Midfield, wings and defense and play with the most possession like City then Oshimen is the answer.

Get Kane, we will at least have chance to compete or there about with the top teams, if going for the younger ones then fans cant complain if we wont win the PL in the next 2-3 years. Then come 3 years later, we will still have to replace Case, Varane, Eriksen, Shaw (maybe), Martinez (maybe), Bruno, Rashford (you never know), and maybe even the young striker that we bought this summer. We have to stop the squad building cycle if we have the chance too. You keep buiding then you will still keep building.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
His record in semi finals and finals isn't great
The notion that he holds them back is utterly laughable.

You just don't like the player, which is fine, but you're making yourself look silly with these sorts of claims.
Still think he'd be a massive upgrade on what we do have, just making the point that he's not worth, by himself, the compromise of the team missing out on less flashy but more functional upgrades across other positions.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We should always be investing in scouting, but let's not kid ourselves that there are top drawer strikers out there that haven't been discovered yet. It's a problem position in world football at the moment.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Never take Harry Kane out of an FPL team. Unless when he's injured, of course.
Where's Harry Kane's increased value? Off the charts?
He's said more than hello to Madrid, they don't seem to be making a move. But yes, a bigger club could lure him away. He's no Harry Kane.
Harry fecking Kane!
One of the best goals he's ever scored - and he's scored a few belters.
Kane with 2 goals and 2 assists. Easy peasy.
Top top manager, would get a lot out of the Spurs squad, especially if they keep Kane.
Any one of Ronaldo/Kane/Aguero/Haaland and they'd be 3-1 up by now.
Kane would have offered more in build up than Grealish.
Hope Kane gets a hattrick.
Mate, Kane was triple captain for me. :(
At the end of the day, they have one of the world's best forwards in Kane.
I think the system isolates Kane more often than not. His all round game is not being properly utilised under Jose. He is lot more than a target man with good finishing and was way more involved in build-up and pressing under Poch.
I think Kane is the closest you can get to having a complete striker of Lewandowski's ilk.

I have way too much free time on my hands tonight.

Big_Bro

My stand on Harry Kane has changed significantly after a rethink and I think we should get him by any means necessary in order to compete for every trophy.

My issue has always been his price tag, but I've seen that players get criticized for the hefty amounts on them only when they fail to perform and the price of a player becomes insignificant ones the player blends in seamlessly.

I think he would be a great addition to the team and we should also get an understudy to complement him. It's time we say good bye to Anthony Martial.

Abraxas

Kane is the best and sure thing striker for us if we can get him. Posters argue that we shouldnt get him because of age, price, wage, bottling mentality, his profile of not staying in or around the box, but who else should we get that tick all the box.

Lets see, oshimen is the box type striker but he is only that and he might get us 20-30 goals but that would take away from Rashford goals too i think and i think we dont want to have the situationike Ronaldo when we have to focus on trying to get the ball to oshmen for him to score cause he dont offer much link up play. Hes probably is the most sure thing after Kane but still have questions. Also, he is not the profile we currently are playing.

Hoijlund is still too young and im sure if we get him we wont have any chance to win PL or CL the next 2-3 years.

Evan Ferguson is a non starter when we have Brighton to deal with. They want to keep him for atleast 2 years and this summer only maybe Caicedo and Mac Caslister are allowed to leave. Beside he is the same like Hoijlund.

Kolo Muani is probably after Oshimen and i like to get him if we cant get Kane becaue of how he play and the profile he offer is what we are looking for (paly like Martial, can hold the ball and turn, link up, pace, press, good size, have the gaols in him...ect. However, question remain that only this season he explode and he might not continue his form from Bundi to us like we have from Bundi purchase.

Really the reason that i want kane as first option and K Muani as second is how we are playing currently. We play with striker that can link up the play and make the play fluid and share the goals between the front 3/4. Its just that the fonts players are not on their peak yet except Rashford. Bruno use to have a lot of goals in him but not this season, Antony is trying to get the goals and hes getting in the position to be able to get those goals (let him develop, it took Robben a few years to get to where he was with his tradmark goals), Wout and Martial (we know...) so if we can get Kane innplace of Martial then we will add more goals to the team. Oshimen will more likely absorb the goals from the teams becaud thats what his style is. If we have the Midfield, wings and defense and play with the most possession like City then Oshimen is the answer.

Get Kane, we will at least have chance to compete or there about with the top teams, if going for the younger ones then fans cant complain if we wont win the PL in the next 2-3 years. Then come 3 years later, we will still have to replace Case, Varane, Eriksen, Shaw (maybe), Martinez (maybe), Bruno, Rashford (you never know), and maybe even the young striker that we bought this summer. We have to stop the squad building cycle if we have the chance too. You keep buiding then you will still keep building.
I don't really understand your main reasoning.

You say Osimhen isn't the profile we are currently playing, and you want to maintain that profile with Kane, but what exactly is that profile? If anything that seems a backhanded compliment to Kane!

Our strikers are Wout Weghorst, a panicked, last minute loan signing from Burnley. And a fella that's been here about 8 years and has had 1-2 acceptable seasons, can't get into the pitch and when he does barely makes a run and is on the fringes of a game.

I would argue there is no "current profile" - there is just a manager utilising the players available because he hasn't had a chance to address the striking situation. To me I don't look at this disastrous personnel and think yes..that's something to maintain and build upon because it's working so well.

Reyoji-Utd

I don't really understand your main reasoning.

You say Osimhen isn't the profile we are currently playing, and you want to maintain that profile with Kane, but what exactly is that profile? If anything that seems a backhanded compliment to Kane!

Our strikers are Wout Weghorst, a panicked, last minute loan signing from Burnley. And a fella that's been here about 8 years and has had 1-2 acceptable seasons, can't get into the pitch and when he does barely makes a run and is on the fringes of a game.

I would argue there is no "current profile" - there is just a manager utilising the players available because he hasn't had a chance to address the striking situation. To me I don't look at this disastrous personnel and think yes..that's something to maintain and build upon because it's working so well.
By your point, then we have no idea how EtH would like in his striker then. Im using how we play currently and use the striker that we have as a profile that EtH might want from his striker. And that is we play with striker that can operate with link up play and can offer fluid football with interchanging passes around the box. These fit with what Kane can offer and K. Muani. I like Oshimen too but just think that he is less of what EtH wants from his striker (his point about Matial too) and less fit to how we play.

ROFLUTION

meh, FPL assists or official assists, no need to be that detailed. The point is he’s been nicely involved in 9 out of 11 club games this season. Had you actually watched the games, you’d agree he’s been good too.

End product in form of assists also relies on someone good on your team to finish chances too - and he’s hardly had any good players next to him this season.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
:lol: fair play. So given you do rate him and think he's one of the best about, how on earth do you think he's holding spurs back?! He's the most important factor behind the last few years of them being a decent side.
The original point wasn't about Kane holding them back at all.

Unless the takeover makes finances a non-issue, I'm afraid Kane will be an expensive, declining big-game bottler we'll be stuck with at the cost of holistically improving our team.
If we had limited budget due to takeover not going through yet and Kane still cost the Levy ransom, I think we should get a cheaper and less prolific alternative at CF and focused on midfield backups/competition instead. The balance in the squad would be more important for us than the team collapsing everytime Casemiro is sent off or Eriksen gets injured. We simply cannot go into next season with Fred/McT as starting option for ANY key game, even Kane upfront won't save us in those games.

It was a hypothetical if that blew up into a discussion about Kane's abilities, somehow. I rate him very highly, and do think he can elevate us to the next level if we can afford him + midfield options under new ownership. As for the big games, I don't expect him to do well in them, but we have the likes of Rashford, Licha and Casemiro for the big occasions anyways. We'll find goals.

Abraxas

By your point, then we have no idea how EtH would like in his striker then. Im using how we play currently and use the striker that we have as a profile that EtH might want from his striker. And that is we play with striker that can operate with link up play and can offer fluid football with interchanging passes around the box. These fit with what Kane can offer and K. Muani. I like Oshimen too but just think that he is less of what EtH wants from his striker (his point about Matial too) and less fit to how we play.
If we are going to make assumptions about what EtH wants it would be more logical to look at his previous teams. Because in those situations he went for a profile of his own choosing. He has built his own attack. From that it could possibly be said that there are implications for what ETH likes. You could even say that maybe he likes a focal point, a hold up player like Haller.

Albeit there would still be an asterisk that this is a very different level of club, so what he did there doesn't automatically translate and this is quite aptly demonstrated by the fact Haller was bad and unsuitable in England. He liked van de Beek in Holland for example but his thinking changed on that at United, so any manager worth his salt is going to adapt. But still, at least he picked those players.

But I think at United he has a dealt hand and what you're saying doesn't really get away from that. If you come into a squad and it has Martial who spends more time on the treatment bench then the pitch and then you lose another to Saudi Arabia and only have funds for a last second January loan, I don't think we can say anything about that is ideal or what the manager wants. I don't draw too much from what he does with Martial and Weghorst or what he says about them, he has to say good things and he has to play them.

lex talionis

They can keep him if they’re looking for 100 mill feck that
100m is a massive sum, but don’t let the third digit by itself put us off.

IF we believe Harry is one of the top strikers on the planet and IF we believe he will maintain this form for 4-5 more seasons, the extra 30m or so that we would spend over the less scary number of 70m that most of us believe is the right number is hardly worth worrying about.

But if we believe Harry’s form will soon drop off the cliff, then we shouldn’t even bother thinking about him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The original point wasn't about Kane holding them back at all.

If we had limited budget due to takeover not going through yet and Kane still cost the Levy ransom, I think we should get a cheaper and less prolific alternative at CF and focused on midfield backups/competition instead. The balance in the squad would be more important for us than the team collapsing everytime Casemiro is sent off or Eriksen gets injured. We simply cannot go into next season with Fred/McT as starting option for ANY key game, even Kane upfront won't save us in those games.

It was a hypothetical if that blew up into a discussion about Kane's abilities, somehow. I rate him very highly, and do think he can elevate us to the next level if we can afford him + midfield options under new ownership. As for the big games, I don't expect him to do well in them, but we have the likes of Rashford, Licha and Casemiro for the big occasions anyways. We'll find goals.
Spot on, if we want to play the way Ten Hag wants, we can't be bringing on Fred to try and control a game. He's purely energy and counter press. Mctominay is just not of the required standard.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If we are going to make assumptions about what EtH wants it would be more logical to look at his previous teams. Because in those situations he went for a profile of his own choosing. He has built his own attack. From that it could possibly be said that there are implications for what ETH likes. You could even say that maybe he likes a focal point, a hold up player like Haller.

Albeit there would still be an asterisk that this is a very different level of club, so what he did there doesn't automatically translate and this is quite aptly demonstrated by the fact Haller was bad and unsuitable in England. He liked van de Beek in Holland for example but his thinking changed on that at United, so any manager worth his salt is going to adapt. But still, at least he picked those players.

But I think at United he has a dealt hand and what you're saying doesn't really get away from that. If you come into a squad and it has Martial who spends more time on the treatment bench then the pitch and then you lose another to Saudi Arabia and only have funds for a last second January loan, I don't think we can say anything about that is ideal or what the manager wants. I don't draw too much from what he does with Martial and Weghorst or what he says about them, he has to say good things and he has to play them.
Sounds like you’re clutching at straws because you don’t fancy Kane and his profile of striker. The evidence we have is that Ten Hag preferred Haller at Ajax as a player that could build from the front, hold up the ball and bring wide forwards into the game. We also know that Ten Hag has praised Martial extensively as his kind of player and played him whenever given the opportunity. Finally we know that Ten Hag went for Wout (and looked at players like Arnautovic) because of their ability to hold the ball up primarily. I assume he would also love goals from his strikers which is why someone like Kane makes perfect sense. Osimhan would be a complete deviation from everything Ten Hag has wanted from his strikers. Harry Kane would be a natural evolution.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sounds like you’re clutching at straws because you don’t fancy Kane and his profile of striker. The evidence we have is that Ten Hag preferred Haller at Ajax as a player that could build from the front, hold up the ball and bring wide forwards into the game. We also know that Ten Hag has praised Martial extensively as his kind of player and played him whenever given the opportunity. Finally we know that Ten Hag went for Wout (and looked at players like Arnautovic) because of their ability to hold the ball up primarily. I assume he would also love goals from his strikers which is why someone like Kane makes perfect sense. Osimhan would be a complete deviation from everything Ten Hag has wanted from his strikers. Harry Kane would be a natural evolution.
Haller and Weghorst both also put up excellent pressing numbers, with it being the main positive trait ETH has spoken about in the latter's case. And while Osimhen fits that mold, Kane doesn't. And Osimhen certainly ticks the box in terms of the sheer physicality ETH has very obviously looked for in his #9s, so the idea that he's a complete deviation is just wrong.

The reality is that neither Kane nor Osimhen are perfect fits. It's just about deciding which qualities are needed versus wanted for this team. Or finding an alternative to both who ticks more boxes that either, of course.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Harry Kane is absolute sex il see him in June.

Just putting that here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah I remember them as a high-pressing side with a high line that counter pressed aggressively. But I don’t know if that’s my mind playing tricks on me :lol:
They were. But Kane is 5-ish years older now? He's not the same player any more, both for ill (that pressing intensity has vanished) and good (Poch-era Kane didn't play like current Kane can from deeper positions).

Same-ish topic from a Spurs forum:

With Poch there, going to Chelsea has to be a very real possibility.
Didn't Kane want Poch sacked? He certainly hasn't played with Pochy-type intensity for a while.
I don't know the answer to that. But I had heard Mourinho and Conte instructed him to play as an out and out centre forward. From what I've seen he has never done that. I know others might say, he never gets the service and has to drop deep. But why hasn't he given it a try?
Poch built him as an out-and-out CF. It was Mourinho that really opened up and looked for the more distributional aspects of his game, because of what he and Sonny could represent as a counterattacking threat on the break.

Conte said publicly that Kane's highest purpose was as a goalscorer in the box, but he's never really changed from the player he evolved into under Mourinho and Conte's tactics call for a fair amount of creativity and interplay between forwards anyway.
To be fair he was never a rapid player and Kane will be 30 soonish.

The guy is just kinda sluggish but excels in other areas.
Absolutely and I think the trade off is the right one but he's not going back to the player he was in 2017.