Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

The Hilton

I don’t believe I asserted that Kane was lied to - read the first part of the sentence quoted. I obviously don’t know. My point was that your position seems to be that would be fine if he was, because it only matters what’s in the contract.

My original point I think was that, whatever was actually agreed, Kane clearly interpreted it that he’d be allowed to leave - he, no doubt, feels let down. Even if he was wrong about that, why would anyone think he’s going to sign a new contract when under the belief he was misled?
I haven't taken that position, and I don't think @balaks has either.

If Kane was promised he could leave under the circumstances that were present when City were in for him, or that it would be advertised that he could go this summer, then that's obviously underhanded from Levy given that they refused to entertain offers. However, the blame still lies squarely with Kane for being so naive.

As for your final point, I wouldn't expect someone to sign a contract with terms that weren't acceptable to them, so given that he signed a contract with no way out, then I can only assume that his current situation was either acceptable to him or unforeseen, neither of which would suggest that there was an agreement that he could leave, that just happened to be kept out of the actual, legal agreement that he signed.

ManRed

How many clubs are genuinely in for him at Levy valuation? I can't think of any and if Mbappe moves to Madrid then the suitors for Kane will be down to Bayern, PSG, Chelsea and us? With the English record in sight he might prefer to stay in England.

This deal will probably go down towards the end of the transfer window when Levy gets a little desperate to cash in.

Strelok

Let's look else where for a younger, proven player.
Problem is there's basically none than Osimhen. And that guy would cost +150m. Imo dealing with Napoli is even harder than with that cnut Levy. At least we know that cnut is greedy. Napoli rarely accept to sell their top players unless it's some really crazy offer.

Just read something about MG, almost forget about him as most here I think. But he'd fit in the 'young and proven' imo.

Anyway according to that article ETH and most of the senior players would welcome him back. Only the women team said no and the marketing guys have some concerns. The important information here is a decision would be made next week. And there is also rumours about the takeover would be done next week. We'll see I think.

Last edited:

croadyman

You get the impression from Keegan article we aren't interested at the high price even IF he pushed for the move. Does this suggest we are happy to wait it out for a year.

Baxquux

I'd say that if Kane genuinely wants to win some silverware then it's a risk for him to wait until next summer. A lot could happen in year.
Unless he gets a career-threatening injury or illness, Kane on a free is still going to be an attractive 3 year option for at least two CL qualifiers at the end of this season, guaranteed (regardless of who those qualifiers are), alongside either Bayern or Dortmund, at least one of the two Spanish giants etc. Kane on a free will be able to choose a side that can realistically challenge for any top league, even if they're only 2nd favourites.

Doracle

I haven't taken that position, and I don't think @balaks has either.

If Kane was promised he could leave under the circumstances that were present when City were in for him, or that it would be advertised that he could go this summer, then that's obviously underhanded from Levy given that they refused to entertain offers. However, the blame still lies squarely with Kane for being so naive.

As for your final point, I wouldn't expect someone to sign a contract with terms that weren't acceptable to them, so given that he signed a contract with no way out, then I can only assume that his current situation was either acceptable to him or unforeseen, neither of which would suggest that there was an agreement that he could leave, that just happened to be kept out of the actual, legal agreement that he signed.
My final point is why he would not sign a further contract now, which people still seem to be suggesting might happen. I think we are all agreed that he should have ensured he had a break clause or signed a shorter contract last time around.

Rusholme Ruffian

Unless he gets a career-threatening injury or illness, Kane on a free is still going to be an attractive 3 year option for at least two CL qualifiers at the end of this season, guaranteed (regardless of who those qualifiers are), alongside either Bayern or Dortmund, at least one of the two Spanish giants etc. Kane on a free will be able to choose a side that can realistically challenge for any top league, even if they're only 2nd favourites.
Well yeah, he could get a bad injury - doesn't have to necessarily be career-threatening, but could be enough to blunt his edge. But also his wage demands will be huge due to there not being a transfer fee, and if he doesn't want to move abroad then his options are limited. If us and Chelsea both sign forwards this year then he might not have any better options than Spurs. Which presumably is what Levy is banking on.

Redbandito

It's a bit complicated and tbh I'm getting tired of this. However imo:

1. the one you were talking about is the selling or buying price which you buy something for.

2. the right or fair price here imo is the price most, especially the neutral people would think it's a fair or right price for the thing you buy.

Let's say you bought a shirt for £200. But most of your friends and family think it's too expensive and £150 would be more than enough for that. Then £200 is the selling price and £150 is the fair or right price we've been discussing to death about.

Same thing we do with basically every transfers I think. For example most agreed Grealish was way overpriced.

The right or fair price we're discussing here is the price most would find that is good or fair enough. Not the price Levy or Spurs would feel right about. Neither the price Kane would feel right about.
No, what I was talking about is the “market price.” The market is established as I stated, by the agreement of buyers and sellers on the value of a good. At the end of the day, you’re free to subjectively state that you think a player is overpriced. That doesn’t mean that it is above market value. And frankly, I doubt either Villa or City care much about what a bunch of keyboard warriors think about whether or not it’s “fair.” I wouldn’t have commented on this if you were just stating your opinion that you think the price is not worth it. However, you seemed to be arguing that what you deem is “fair” for Kane should be considered the market value. That argument is wrong on its face.

Valencia Shin Crosses

hes still very raw, he can’t lead it, we need a proven world class now.
You can keep repeating that it won't make them all of the sudden available. I mean how many "proven world class" even exist currently? Kane, Lewa, Haaland, Benzema, Osimhen. That's it, that's the list. 2 of those are with our rivals who will never sell to us, one is off to Saudi, one is with Barca, and the last will cost a world record fee and isn't for sale otherwise.

It's like people think it's as simple as submitting a bid for "world class strikers" and then dusting our hands like the job is done. It's not happening, so yes the next best thing is to look at high potential young players to mould.

Baxquux

Well yeah, he could get a bad injury - doesn't have to necessarily be career-threatening, but could be enough to blunt his edge. But also his wage demands will be huge due to there not being a transfer fee, and if he doesn't want to move abroad then his options are limited. If us and Chelsea both sign forwards this year then he might not have any better options than Spurs. Which presumably is what Levy is banking on.
Guaranteed that even if we sign a forward, ETH will be happy to face potential 'dilemma' of how to accommodate Kane within the side; he can play as a 10 if necessary, or false 9 behind split forwards making runs, as well as classic hold-up man and poacher. The club will also always find at least 200k p/w or thereabouts for a player of that calibre, which is the upper-end of what Tottenham can offer him, so he would just have to decide whether he's happy to get 'normal' high-wages at a Spursy Spurs or at a club more likely to challenge.

Chelsea are a wild-card, but I don't think he'd sign for another London club anyway: Liverpool, honestly, are more of a potential 'threat' for his signature if they have a better season this time around and qualify for CL, as Klopp could just play him as a more productive Firmino alongside fast split forwards, but I think all else being roughly equal, he'd sign for us.

Rusholme Ruffian

No, what I was talking about is the “market price.” The market is established as I stated, by the agreement of buyers and sellers on the value of a good. At the end of the day, you’re free to subjectively state that you think a player is overpriced. That doesn’t mean that it is above market value. And frankly, I doubt either Villa or City care much about what a bunch of keyboard warriors think about whether or not it’s “fair.” I wouldn’t have commented on this if you were just stating your opinion that you think the price is not worth it. However, you seemed to be arguing that what you deem is “fair” for Kane should be considered the market value. That argument is wrong on its face.
Yes, but if the seller sets the price at a completely unrealistic level then that is disingenuous because 'market' value will never be reached. If I say to you that next year you can move if we get an excellent offer, but then when it comes to it I set a price above and beyond an excellent offer then that is not keeping my part of the agreement. It's completely on Kane and his dimwit brother for apparently taking Levy at his word and not getting an actual buyout clause/figure written into the contract though.

Rusholme Ruffian

Guaranteed that even if we sign a forward, ETH will be happy to face potential 'dilemma' of how to accommodate Kane within the side; he can play as a 10 if necessary, or false 9 behind split forwards making runs, as well as classic hold-up man and poacher. The club will also always find at least 200k p/w or thereabouts for a player of that calibre, which is the upper-end of what Tottenham can offer him, so he would just have to decide whether he's happy to get 'normal' high-wages at a Spursy Spurs or at a club more likely to challenge.

Chelsea are a wild-card, but I don't think he'd sign for another London club anyway: Liverpool, honestly, are more of a potential 'threat' for his signature if they have a better season this time around and qualify for CL, as Klopp could just play him as a more productive Firmino alongside fast split forwards, but I think all else being roughly equal, he'd sign for us.
I don't think it's guaranteed at all. It totally depends on who we sign this summer. For instance, if we sign Osimhen (unlikely I know) then I very much doubt we move for Kane next year. To be honest, even if we were to sign a 'lesser' striker like Hojland and he manages to have an incredible season (against all odds) then ETH may well decide not to risk upsetting the balance of the team and budget that wage for a signing in an area where it is needed more.

He'll never move to Chelsea in a million years, and Liverpool have spent about £140 million on forwards in the last 12 months.

LordSpud

Call it a hunch but I've got a feeling we will stick with Wout this summer.

croadyman

I don't think it's guaranteed at all. It totally depends on who we sign this summer. For instance, if we sign Osimhen (unlikely I know) then I very much doubt we move for Kane next year. To be honest, even if we were to sign a 'lesser' striker like Hojland and he manages to have an incredible season (against all odds) then ETH may well decide not to risk upsetting the balance of the team and budget that wage for a signing in an area where it is needed more.

He'll never move to Chelsea in a million years, and Liverpool have spent about £140 million on forwards in the last 12 months.
Are you saying Kane/Osimhen won't move to Chelsea as I was a little confused

lex talionis

If true that we’re out, not out with Wout but out with Kane, it’s just well that we move on to more realistic targets.

rajds89

Yeah it's over
Then it’s either Oshimen or failure. Whilst the other targets we’re linked with are talented, none of them are good enough to get us to run City close next season.

The Hilton

My final point is why he would not sign a further contract now, which people still seem to be suggesting might happen. I think we are all agreed that he should have ensured he had a break clause or signed a shorter contract last time around.
Yeah I don't see him signing another contact, that seems like wishful thinking from Spurs, and likely to backfire.

Camilo

Just buy him FFS. We can either get a proven top striker now for 3 or 4 years or title challenging, or we can buy a young un, wait 3 years for them to develop to Kane level, then watch as they leave for Madrid because we've still not won anything because we've not got a top striker.

L1nk

Then it’s either Oshimen or failure. Whilst the other targets we’re linked with are talented, none of them are good enough to get us to run City close next season.
I don't think that will be the point to be honest, we can sign a few players but not sure we will realistically get close enough to City next season to challenge regardless

Osimhen is likely to cost even more than Kane so it's doubtful, but who knows!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah it's over
I think that's the sensible thing. Let's build for the future, this team is not primed to win the league yet and why spend so much money for only the next couple of seasons.

rajds89

I don't think that will be the point to be honest, we can sign a few players but not sure we will realistically get close enough to City next season to challenge regardless

Osimhen is likely to cost even more than Kane so it's doubtful, but who knows!
Osimhen would cost more but he is younger than Kane and can potentially be here for longer so surely the club wouldn’t begrudge spending a little more on him.

Whilst I agree that we’d unlikely to get close to city next season regardless.. just imagine what we’d have achieved if you added Kane’s goals to our tally last season.

Dominos

Whilst we don't know the exact points tally needed to win it, we have to assume if we find an extra 15 points next season it puts in a title race.

A competent striker + improvements in midfield, defence and goalkeeper can easily be worth 15 points if we make the right signings.

Next season there will be strikers who have a season that puts them on the map of all the big clubs and gets them touted as a 100m player. We need to sign that player now rather than waiting for his value to skyrocket and competition from other clubs to increase. That's what our scouts are paid for. I can't believe there's only 2 strikers in existence who will do a good job for us.

L1nk

Osimhen would cost more but he is younger than Kane and can potentially be here for longer so surely the club wouldn’t begrudge spending a little more on him.

Whilst I agree that we’d unlikely to get close to city next season regardless.. just imagine what we’d have achieved if you added Kane’s goals to our tally last season.
I agree with the Kane and Osimhen point, I think the problem is until next summer onwards when we have new owners and they can help us with more revenue we're kind of limited this summer to what we can do due to FFP targets and player sales. If we do spend more on Osimhen than we had planned to spend on Kane we might have to sacrifice buying in other areas that we need. It's all a bit shit and we really need to be on the ball this summer in order for us to progress in any way next season.