Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Gavinb33

If Bayern are clever they could keep Kane at the top for 6 years, there is no way he needs to play every week or at least not every 90 minutes for them to win the league so they can be smart with his playing time in a way Spurs could not afford and it could also help England as well

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Frankly amazed that we haven't got involved. Fergie would have been all over this like a cheap suit.
We have been involved early but allegedly considered that the price asked by Spurs was too rich. If they are asking 120m+ from Spurs, I don't even want to know what Levy asked from United.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So it's fair to say at least Alan Shearer cares about the Alan Shearer record of PL goals
Also won a PL title early in his career.

It's embarrassing really, far more English players should go abroad.

It's a different mentality, new experience and it will help the national team. Trippier is a good example.

Kane will find Munich more similar than he might think, if he's going.

ErikElevenHag

I haven't checked the odds but them being more likely to win the CL than all of Real, Barca, Arsenal, Utd, PSG and any Italian club seems a bit strange considering they nearly lost a 1-team league and went out at the quarter finals of the CL last year. Kim and now Kane are great signings but I doubt many would have suggested Bayern were winning CL last season so why they would suddenly be more likely winners of the CL than the most successful team in the history of the competition is a bit of a mystery to me.
Lots of people thought they had a chance in the champions league last season. They breezed out of a group which included eventual finalists inter and eventual La Liga champions Barcelona and through to the quarter finals by beating PSG by conceding just 2 goals (in one game, against none of the clubs I've just mentioned).

They just happened to come across the best team with the best manager in the QF. They will rightly only be behind city this season, as theyve just added a highly rated CB and a top 3 striker in the world.

They're not as good as city, but the relatively clear of the rest imo.

Baxquux

My mate who is a Spurs fan thinks they will buy Orban, Gallagher and a CB when Kane leaves.
Gallagher i dont think really improves them, but Orban is a good roll of the dice- they're not replacing Kane directly, of course, and strikers in the bigger leagues are heavily overpriced; between him and the south american, one of their new strikers is likely to 'work out' to some extent...and if not, then Richarlison in his Brazilian position just might..

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hope this ends sooner than later.
He really was the one that got away, Fergie would have been all over it, a shame.

Dazzmondo

Yeah we went out in the quarter finals against City after 8 wins out of 8 games against Barca, Inter, PSG. How and why should these teams have better chances to win the CL? Let alone Arsenal or United...

City obviously are the big favorites. I'd also argue Real will always be among the top favorites. But besides these two teams there is no other team that has a better chance to win the CL than Bayern imo.
I didn't mean Bayern had less chance than all of those teams but the idea of them being 2nd most likely seems strange to me. Barcelona won the league ahead of Real so they should have a strong chance at winning the CL.

I still think Arsenal and Utd's sides are pretty close to Bayern's, especially Arsenal. Both finished above a Liverpool team that regularly outperformed Bayern in the CL for years. I don't believe this Bayern team without Kane would be guaranteed top 4 in the PL every season despite the BL title basically being a formality. The team that lost the title by 1 point were eliminated by a Chelsea team that finished 12th last year. There's a massive difference in quality between the top PL teams and the non-Bayern BL teams.

I do think you're stronger than the Italian clubs and probably PSG but they are still contenders. Both Milans did really well in the CL last year and Napoli kept their 2 best players even if Kim is a big loss.

Maybe Kane and Kim add the extra bit Bayern were lacking last year to make the difference but I still don't think winning the CL is likely.

Siorac

a Liverpool team that regularly outperformed Bayern in the CL for years.
In the last five years:
Runners-up, R16, R16, winners, QF

QF, QF, winners, R16, QF

I mixed up the chronological order to make it a bit more difficult: which run of results belongs to which club? No googling!

Dazzmondo

Lots of people thought they had a chance in the champions league last season. They breezed out of a group which included eventual finalists inter and eventual La Liga champions Barcelona and through to the quarter finals by beating PSG by conceding just 2 goals (in one game, against none of the clubs I've just mentioned).

They just happened to come across the best team with the best manager in the QF. They will rightly only be behind city this season, as theyve just added a highly rated CB and a top 3 striker in the world.

They're not as good as city, but the relatively clear of the rest imo.
Whenever I looked at CL predictions last year they were always City, Real, Liverpool or a few dreamers went with Napoli. The first 3 were comfortably ahead of Bayern and even PSG would probably have been considered more likely (the lack of belief in them seemed to stem moreso from their tendency to bottle the CL in the past instead of ther actual ability). Granted adding Kane does immediately make Bayern a much stronger team than last season so it's maybe a bit more realistic this year.

Dazzmondo

In the last five years:

QF, QF, winners, R16, QF

I mixed up the chronological order to make it a bit more difficult: which run of results belongs to which club? No googling!
1st one has to be Liverpool because they were in 2 finals and Bayern only won 1 CL in recent years. Does that prove Bayern were better because they got to QF 2 more times than Liverpool? Admittedly I didn't realise Pool got knocked out in R16 twice but still, they were in 2 finals

Siorac

1st one has to be Liverpool because they were in 2 finals and Bayern only won 1 CL in recent years. Does that prove Bayern were better because they got to QF 2 more times than Liverpool? Admittedly I didn't realise Pool got knocked out in R16 twice but still, they were in 2 finals
My point is that "regularly outperformed" is a massive stretch. Their results are overall comparable. And that's comparing with Klopp's Liverpool, a team that reached heights in this period that neither the current Arsenal nor the current United side reached. Bayern have a stronger squad than any English club bar City and a better recent history in the competition than three out of the four participating English clubs.

PSG are a mess with an imbalanced squad and they are habitual underachievers; Barcelona got knocked out of a group that Bayern crushed with ease last season, and it's not like they have significantly strengthened (though Gundogan should be a good signing); Real Madrid lost its main striker, Modric and Kroos are another year older and Courtois suffered a potentially season-ending injury.

Bayern made very good signings, on paper at least, and have now addressed their biggest gap in the squad. Second favourites is absolutely correct.

Rusholme Ruffian

We have been involved early but allegedly considered that the price asked by Spurs was too rich. If they are asking 120m+ from Spurs, I don't even want to know what Levy asked from United.
Yeah, according to the BBC the deal for Bayern is £86.4 million, and we must surely have known way back then that it would take a bid of around £100 million for us to sign him, so I'm amazed we haven't gone in with £100 million bid now (on the assumption that Kane would prefer to come to us than Bayern, which obviously may not be the case) to test Levy's resolve.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, according to the BBC the deal for Bayern is £86.4 million, and we must surely have known way back then that it would take a bid of around £100 million for us to sign him, so I'm amazed we haven't gone in with £100 million bid now (on the assumption that Kane would prefer to come to us than Bayern, which obviously may not be the case) to test Levy's resolve.
You don't know how much we offered and how much Levy may have suggested. The only thing that we know is that United did get involved and that we decided to target someone else. The likely scenario is that Levy did what he did with Modric and Bale, he asked for significantly more from United/Chelsea than he was willing to accept from Real Madrid or in this case Bayern.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In the last five years:

QF, QF, winners, R16, QF

Liverpool's better obviously, 2 finals compared to one.

Siorac

Yeah, the "no value in the market" Fergie. People are rewriting history.
He was willing to break records, particularly for strikers.

The "no value in the market" thing was really only happening in the last few years of his reign.

Rusholme Ruffian

You don't know how much we offered and how much Levy may have suggested. The only thing that we know is that United did get involved and that we decided to target someone else. The likely scenario is that Levy did what he did with Modric and Bale, he asked for significantly more from United/Chelsea than he was willing to accept from Real Madrid or in this case Bayern.
Yes, I understand this, but there is a difference between quoting us a price in June, when everything was up in the air, to testing his resolve now when he has accepted £86.4 million from Bayern, 2 days before the season starts. An extra £15 million could mean an additional player for Postecoglou, or the difference between a top tier player or a second tier player. I'm not for one minute saying that Levy would cave and sell to us, I'm just surprised we haven't tested that.

vodrake

BBC missing the add ons there. It's £86.4 million plus another £17 million in add ons going by the latest tweets (€100m + €20m), so already over £100m. Seems beyond what we could afford to throw at them at the moment

OverratedOpinion

Are we not currently waiting to sell McTominay and Maguire before we can sign much needed cover in defence and midfield for a combined price of nearly half of what Kane would cost?

OverratedOpinion

Personally I would prefer to sign Kane and take the risk with the defensive and midfield cover.
Hopefully Kane can score 4 when Jonny Evans and Eriksen get run over at the Etihad.

Also even if that was your choice. You're still about 40m light unless the Glazers allow you to use the credit facility (they won't).

JPRouve

Scout
what are the add-ons? They might never be achieved.
It doesn't matter what the addons are, the price for Bayern is already very high and there is zero reason to believe that Levy would sell for a similar price to a PL side, he hasn't done that in more than a decade.

Rusholme Ruffian

Hopefully Kane can score 4 when Jonny Evans and Eriksen get run over at the Etihad.

Also even if that was your choice. You're still about 40m light unless the Glazers allow you to use the credit facility (they won't).
Well look, we are talking about a hypothetical situation here, so I might as well say I hope a back up midfielder and centre-half can score 4 when we're relying on a crocked Tony Martial at the Etihad. Maguire was a liability last season and rarely trusted, so I'd be comfortable with Jonny Evans and/or Luke Shaw covering with Malacia at left-back. Similarly I'd happily see Mainoo playing more if needed, Eriksen had to be rushed back into the side before he was ready last year, but with the Mount signing that shouldn't be so much of an issue.

Re: the Glazers, again you're talking like you are inside their heads - an extra £40 million to get the fans off their back over the never-ending takeover might appeal to them, who knows?

Alemar

It doesn't matter what the addons are, the price for Bayern is already very high and there is zero reason to believe that Levy would sell for a similar price to a PL side, he hasn't done that in more than a decade.
If Bayern didn’t give in to Levy’s demands, Levy would be in a difficult position come deadline day.

Rusholme Ruffian

Well it does matter a bit. For instance if there is a clause that said something like an extra £10 million to Spurs if Bayern win the CL then I'm sure Bayern would be very happy to pay it, same as United would be. I've been quite clear that I'm not suggesting that Levy would sell to us for a similar price, I literally said £15 million more, and that could be plus the same kind of add ons agreed with Bayern.

JPRouve

Scout
If Bayern didn’t give in to Levy’s demands, Levy would be in a difficult position come deadline day.
Or he would be perfectly fine when Kane once again extends his contract. This is speculative but I'm pretty sure that Kane has been part of the issue, I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed on a short extension in September if none of the clubs he wants to join made an offer that suits Spurs.

JPRouve

Scout
Well it does matter a bit. For instance if there is a clause that said something like an extra £10 million to Spurs if Bayern win the CL then I'm sure Bayern would be very happy to pay it, same as United would be. I've been quite clear that I'm not suggesting that Levy would sell to us for a similar price, I literally said £15 million more, and that could be plus the same kind of add ons agreed with Bayern.
You are assuming that both agreements would be in the same ballpark when it's perfectly possible that Bayern total price is 120m while english clubs total price is 160m.

Rusholme Ruffian

You are assuming that both agreements would be in the same ballpark when it's perfectly possible that Bayern total price is 120m while english clubs total price is 160m.
Yes, and you are assuming that the price would be wildly different! Businessmen like money at the end of the day, and even for a guy as rich as Joe Lewis £15 million is not pocket change.

Woodzy

It’s fairly obvious he would have been on our list, if not top of it, but the price would have not only affected other positions but also haggling over a transfer all summer only for the transfer not to happen would have been hugely disruptive to our rebuild.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes, and you are assuming that the price would be wildly different! Businessmen like money at the end of the day, and even for a guy as rich as Joe Lewis £15 million is not pocket change.
I'm basing it on Levy past tendencies and gave you examples. Levy took less from Madrid than Chelsea, City and United allegedly offered, nearly a third less.

And Joe Lewis doesn't give a damn about that kind of money, it doesn't go in his pockets and he makes way more than that himself.

spiriticon

We wanted him but Spurs absolutely did not want to sell to a Premier League rival. City last year and us this year.

Nothing we can do about that.

L1nk

Doesn’t exactly scream “never going to happen” to me.

More usual lines that managers say when talking about players from other clubs.
:lol: I mean it was never going to happen that we were going to bid over the last few weeks, I imagine we did want Kane at the start but as soon as our attention shifted to Hojlund that was it.

qzizzle

Supports
Bayern Munich
I still think Arsenal and Utd's sides are pretty close to Bayern's, especially Arsenal. Both finished above a Liverpool team that regularly outperformed Bayern in the CL for years.
the feck you are on about

Pretty sure Bayern was a top 3 betting favorite every year in the last decade or so.

And Bayern clearly was the 2nd best team in the CL last year, even in the tie with City Bayern actually would have won that tie by xGoals, just didnt take their chances. Premier League fans love to act like City steamrolled them, but objectively Bayern was the better team in 3 of the 4 halves.