Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
even though we are a backwater village with no internet and very few fish&chips stands, and we shit in the streets, we might find an international school if we look hard enough
The legendary farmer hospitality. :drool:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
feck me, it’s Munich man, incredible city, gateway to the Alps, Italy and the South of France. He’ll be looked after beyond belief, his kids will be in a very good international school, of which exist in every single city on the planet these days. He’ll have better much weather too.

All in all, I reckon he’ll love it.
Also, he won't have to play for Spurs anymore.

Revan

Assumptionman
To people who wonder how Harry will struggle cause different language: Munich is a very international city. It is boring as feck, but yes, it has English schools and kindergartens and pretty much everyone speaks some English, probably slightly better than Harry.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
To people who wonder how Harry will struggle cause different language: Munich is a very international city. It is boring as feck, but yes, it has English schools and kindergartens and pretty much everyone speaks some English, probably slightly better than Harry.
The last couple of times I was in Germany, everyone spoke perfect English and they wouldn't even let me practice my very bad German.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Germany overall is very much focused around the German language. It’s not easy to live there and not speak a single word in the language.

Revan

Assumptionman
feck me, it’s Munich man, incredible city, gateway to the Alps, Italy and the South of France. He’ll be looked after beyond belief, his kids will be in a very good international school, of which exist in every single city on the planet these days. He’ll have better much weather too.

Let’s be fair, having just done the inverse switch, London shits over Munich in almost every aspect. Munich is the impersonification of boredom, and all Germans do is go for long walks.

Dunno about the weather, it rains a lot albeit not as much as in London. But it also gets -5 and worse for a large part of winter.

Revan

Assumptionman
Germany overall is very much focused around the German language. It’s not easy to live there and not speak a single word in the language.
You are completely fine not speaking any German in Munich and Berlin. You would hard pressed to find people who won’t have decent English in Munich. Like unicorns, they exist, but they are rare.

JagUTD

The last couple of times I was in Germany, everyone spoke perfect English and they wouldn't even let me practice my very bad German.
The correct way would have been to speak English but with a questionable German accent.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You are completely fine not speaking any German in Munich and Berlin. You would hard pressed to find people who won’t have decent English in Munich. Like unicorns, they exist, but they are rare.
There are breakfast places in Berlin where you have to order in English since the staff doesn’t speak German. One of the things I like about the city. :lol:

George The Best

even though we are a backwater village with no internet and very few fish&chips stands, and we shit in the streets, we might find an international school if we look hard enough
Of course, but a big stretch all the same. Sure you’ve got International Schools, but young kids development depends on being able to play and make friends with other kids from their own country. Not saying Harry has made the wrong move, as I think it is perfect for him and he will do a great job for you - but his kids education and development must have been a part of his decision making. I’ve no doubt you will look after him and his family. Munich is a very clean City and the Interweb always works - fabulous place to be apart from the occasional winter.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Of course, but a big stretch all the same. Sure you’ve got International Schools, but young kids development depends on being able to play and make friends with other kids from their own country. Not saying Harry has made the wrong move, as I think it is perfect for him and he will do a great job for you - but his kids education and development must have been a part of his decision making. I’ve no doubt you will look after him and his family. Munich is a very clean City and the Interweb always works - fabulous place to be apart from the occasional winter.
Of course we dont teach english in schools, we teach gothic. With runes and everything, you should join its fun. he's going to live in Grünwald and take it from me, no bavarians there, at all, only newly-rich, i'm actually surprised his ex-royal highness and the duchess of sussex don't have at least a temporary residence. we do also have a dynasty which has ruled from 1180.With members still alive though sadly not in power any more (albeit either in an unappropriate relationship, spending their time brewing beer -at least!!!- or driving racing cars, how quaint).
I hear you can't get a job selling haut coture clothing (/yeah we wear those while brushing our feces down to our neighbors after we shat in the streets) in the posh places any more unless you speak russian or chinese (just like in london)
On the other hand, we have Microsoft, Amazon and Google EU headquarters in town. Some of their top executives may both live there and speak ze englisch languitsch. Cockney may be in short supply though.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

There are breakfast places in Berlin where you have to order in English since the staff doesn’t speak German. One of the things I like about the city. :lol:
Even in Lidl in Berlin they speak some passable English. Can't say that for the average kebab or kofte joint though.

Plastic Evra

All power and respect to Kane for being a family man but I'm not sure where all the concern about his accomodations come from ? Players moving around with a family must be fairly common.

rabnub

This is a load of bollix when it comes to munich. The whole place speaks english. Been there about 11 or 12 times for munich games from ireland. never have had an issue. Berlin or others may be like that . Munich is not. Most germans speak english anyway. Wont be an issue

Revan

Assumptionman
This is a load of bollix when it comes to munich. The whole place speaks english. Been there about 11 or 12 times for munich games from ireland. never have had an issue. Berlin or others may be like that . Munich is not. Most germans speak english anyway. Wont be an issue
Berlin is probably even more international than Munich, no need to know any German.
You obviously lived in London, but not in. Munich :)
If you are not a boring robot German, Munich is such a boring city. Except those two weeks at the end of September.

m1tch

He's got himself a prestigious club to play for where he can challenge himself with something new, fair play to him.

Yes the German League isn't anything to shout about, unless you happen to beat Bayern to the title, but it's not quite the French or Scottish leagues.

Let's face it, Kane's only option of staying in the premier league was by staying at Spurs. There was no offer from Spain or Italy, and Bayern are offering a lucrative contract. He could have stayed with Spurs till next summer, but that's always risky, what if he had an injury that kept him out for a significant period towards the end of the season? There's also a chance no one in England would be interested in an expensive deal for a 31 year old given free transfers just mean you pay the transfer fee to the player instead. City don't need him, he might not have wanted to go Chelsea or Arsenal, and maybe we've let him know we're planning a different course after years of taking strikers at the tail end of their careers, or adopting a system that he doesn't suit.

TLDR; it was a choice between Bayern and possibly finishing his career at Spurs. He's right to take what's in front of him now.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's got himself a prestigious club to play for where he can challenge himself with something new, fair play to him.

Yes the German League isn't anything to shout about, unless you happen to beat Bayern to the title, but it's not quite the French or Scottish leagues.

Let's face it, Kane's only option of staying in the premier league was by staying at Spurs. There was no offer from Spain or Italy, and Bayern are offering a lucrative contract. He could have stayed with Spurs till next summer, but that's always risky, what if he had an injury that kept him out for a significant period towards the end of the season? There's also a chance no one in England would be interested in an expensive deal for a 31 year old given free transfers just mean you pay the transfer fee to the player instead. City don't need him, he might not have wanted to go Chelsea or Arsenal, and maybe we've let him know we're planning a different course after years of taking strikers at the tail end of their careers, or adopting a system that he doesn't suit.

TLDR; it was a choice between Bayern and possibly finishing his career at Spurs. He's right to take what's in front of him now.
All big English clubs except City would have gone for him given the chance. But all of them are worse than Bayern, so it makes sense for him to choose the club which gives him the highest chance of winning UCL (and by extension Ballon D’Or) while guaranteeing a few league titles.

Blackwidow

We have a british international school, too. There the English quota will be higher...

https://www.stgeorgesschool.com/

Redfrog

Well, if I had a choice, Germany would be one of the last in the biggest countries in Europe I would like to live in. They are no fun, they don’t know how to live, unlike the Spanish and Italian people.
Mediteranean countries are the best, no matter who is the richest or not. People know how to live there. It’s an art.
France is alright too if you are in a big city, but not as good as Spain for sure.

Don’t takeme wrong. I visited Germany few times. And I enjoyed it. It’s nice. It’s clean. There is a lot of interesting stuff in most cities Inhave been in. But it’s not really fun.

Supports
England
Correctly. Because Bayern are a fine team and the expectation is that they will perform well this year. It doesn't change the fact that they were terrible last year, and still won the title. Which kind of proves that the Bundesliga is weak.

Since you are bringing odds into it, on Paddy Power right now, Bayern are 3/10 to win the Bundesliga. Man City are 8/11 to win the PL.

In other words, the bookies feel like it is more than twice as likely that Bayern will win the Bundesliga than Man City will win the PL.

Incidentally, the 6th favourites to win the PL (Newcastle) are 16/1 whereas the 6th favourites to win the Bundesliga (Frankfurt) are 100/1!

There are lots of things to like about the Bundesliga - the 50+1 rule chief among them - but there is little point in pretending that the Bundesliga is competitive for Bayern or has any great quality in it. @OverratedOpinion

Copy-pasting my standard explanation whenever this comes up, because I think football gamblers deserve to know what they're into and the vast majority don't.

This isn't how betting works. But don't worry: almost everyone goes through a phase of believing that bookies win by being better at predicting events than the punters. Hell, most people never get out of that phase -- even the most frequent football gamblers I know in real life don't really understand how gambling works. Expert opinion and predictive modelling have nothing to do with the odds. In fact, those things don't matter at all on the bookmakers' side[1]. Bookies have no special insight into anything because they don't predict anything: the prices are set by supply and demand. The more people bet on an outcome, the lower they set the price for that outcome, and vice-versa. It renders odds nothing more than a giant popularity contest.

You could argue that there's a sort of crowdsourced wisdom going on in the results of that process. But then imagine the average punter: he's far from an expert gambler or an expert on the subject on which he's betting. This all leads to prices that very poorly reflect the actual probabilities of the outcomes. Any genuine expertise is drowned out by the sheer volume of casuals, weekend warriors, random-chancers, and so on. (Incidentally, understanding this fact is how "professional" gamblers and true expert analysts play the game: they don't bet on the events they think will occur; they bet solely on the events that they think are significantly more likely to occur than their current price suggests.)

As well as the supply and demand shit, there's a load of money-grubbing maths involved, all of which is now done programmatically by computers, They put a bunch of variables into a formula, including the odds and the amount of money on each outcome, and their proprietary ML-driven algorithms spit out odds recommendations that ensure they make money no matter what. It's called an overround and it's how the house almost always wins[2] (it's similar to the zero on a standard roulette table: they offer you odds of 1:36 when the actual odds are 1:37, slowly resulting in inevitable losses for everyone over time). Sneaky house edges are why I have no interest in gambling.

[1] They may use predictive models up to a point, to try to refine their overround priorities, train their AI models, and generally get more accurate internal info (e.g. how to set initial prices), but a bettor is never going head to head with the bookies' predictions.

[2] I say "almost" because unlike a roulette table, real world events, the cumulative patterns of wildly different bettors, and the algorithmic mathematics involved are too complex to guarantee that they make money, even with a massive overround. When the system fails, you get those glorious stories of bookies losing stacks. Unfortunately, as I'm sure most gamblers know, the cnuts aren't even legally obliged to pay out -- at least not in the UK.

Redfrog

Kids are not as dumb as adults usually. They will have friends everywhere even if they don’t speak their langage. Kids will just play with each other and understand each other without needing the langage. Then, if they stay few months, they will learn the langage of their friends very easily.

Humans are humans, they are not restrained by the country they live in. Kids are very adaptable.

it should be more difficult for Kane ´s wife.

Supports
England
Also I'm super-excited to see Kane play for Bayern. I've been looking forward to his big move ever since Spurs started going downhill almost immediately after Kane signed most of his peak away (I was gutted when I first heard about that contract). Even as a club neutral, I did hope his big switch would be within the PL - I am an Englishman and patriot, ultimately - but PL clubs didn't move hard or fast enough for whatever reason (even though it was obvious that when Kane became available, some big, big clubs would come knocking -- as they did). But Kane and Bayern are a good fit, worthy of each other. And I think Kane is one of maybe two or three players in the world who could fill Lewa's boots.

Blackwidow

Well, if I had a choice, Germany would be one of the last in the biggest countries in Europe I would like to live in. They are no fun, they don’t know how to live, unlike the Spanish and Italian people.
Mediteranean countries are the best, no matter who is the richest or not. People know how to live there. It’s an art.
France is alright too if you are in a big city, but not as good as Spain for sure.

Don’t takeme wrong. I visited Germany few times. And I enjoyed it. It’s nice. It’s clean. There is a lot of interesting stuff in most cities Inhave been in. But it’s not really fun.
Munich is full of people from the Mediteranean cuntries...

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Spurs will be much better off without Levy. He’s compromised the quality of the league with his small time bullshit.

Wing Attack Plan R

Copy-pasting my standard explanation whenever this comes up, because I think football gamblers deserve to know what they're into and the vast majority don't.

This isn't how betting works. But don't worry: almost everyone goes through a phase of believing that bookies win by being better at predicting events than the punters. Hell, most people never get out of that phase -- even the most frequent football gamblers I know in real life don't really understand how gambling works. Expert opinion and predictive modelling have nothing to do with the odds. In fact, those things don't matter at all on the bookmakers' side[1]. Bookies have no special insight into anything because they don't predict anything: the prices are set by supply and demand. The more people bet on an outcome, the lower they set the price for that outcome, and vice-versa. It renders odds nothing more than a giant popularity contest.

You could argue that there's a sort of crowdsourced wisdom going on in the results of that process. But then imagine the average punter: he's far from an expert gambler or an expert on the subject on which he's betting. This all leads to prices that very poorly reflect the actual probabilities of the outcomes. Any genuine expertise is drowned out by the sheer volume of casuals, weekend warriors, random-chancers, and so on. (Incidentally, understanding this fact is how "professional" gamblers and true expert analysts play the game: they don't bet on the events they think will occur; they bet solely on the events that they think are significantly more likely to occur than their current price suggests.)

As well as the supply and demand shit, there's a load of money-grubbing maths involved, all of which is now done programmatically by computers, They put a bunch of variables into a formula, including the odds and the amount of money on each outcome, and their proprietary ML-driven algorithms spit out odds recommendations that ensure they make money no matter what. It's called an overround and it's how the house almost always wins[2] (it's similar to the zero on a standard roulette table: they offer you odds of 1:36 when the actual odds are 1:37, slowly resulting in inevitable losses for everyone over time). Sneaky house edges are why I have no interest in gambling.

[1] They may use predictive models up to a point, to try to refine their overround priorities, train their AI models, and generally get more accurate internal info (e.g. how to set initial prices), but a bettor is never going head to head with the bookies' predictions.

[2] I say "almost" because unlike a roulette table, real world events, the cumulative patterns of wildly different bettors, and the algorithmic mathematics involved are too complex to guarantee that they make money, even with a massive overround. When the system fails, you get those glorious stories of bookies losing stacks. Unfortunately, as I'm sure most gamblers know, the cnuts aren't even legally obliged to pay out -- at least not in the UK.
Thanks for this.