Harry Kane MBE | Performances

NK86

Why? Both have done enough to show what they are capable of, especially Eriksen.
With Kane it is understandable, a local boy coming through the ranks and now a top striker in his boyhood club. Vertonghen also is a good defender but not really someone the top clubs will be vying for or paying huge bucks too so if he extends at his age, it's not really a surprise.

Eriksen does not owe Spurs any such loyalty and he is one of the best players in his position. A lot of top teams would love to get him in. So if he wants to wait till after the WC it shouldn't really be a surprise. He may want to concentrate on his world cup before discussing with either Levy or any potential new team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
With Kane it is understandable, a local boy coming through the ranks and now a top striker in his boyhood club. Vertonghen also is a good defender but not really someone the top clubs will be vying for or paying huge bucks too so if he extends at his age, it's not really a surprise.

Eriksen does not owe Spurs any such loyalty and he is one of the best players in his position. A lot of top teams would love to get him in. So if he wants to wait till after the WC it shouldn't really be a surprise. He may want to concentrate on his world cup before discussing with either Levy or any potential new team.
I don’t deny any of that, but what I’m saying is, if top teams genuinely though Eriksen could be persuaded to move they would have started the courtship by now. Eriksen is one of our players, who like Kane, Dele and Lloris are very connected to Poch, I don’t see him going anywhere this summer, WC or no WC. I doubt the likes of Poch or Kane would have committed so soon and for so long if they though Christian could be sold this summer.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Good for:

- Kane
- Spurs
- Premier League

Great news and I’m glad that Levy broke their restrictive wage structure to keep him. It would have been madness not to.

NK86

I don’t deny any of that, but what I’m saying is, if top teams genuinely though Eriksen could be persuaded to move they would have started the courtship by now. Eriksen is one of our players, who like Kane, Dele and Lloris are very connected to Poch, I don’t see him going anywhere this summer, WC or no WC. I doubt the likes of Poch or Kane would have committed so soon and for so long if they though Christian could be sold this summer.
I am saying that he may alreasa be getting courted but is not discussing much since he is focused on his national team. Only time will tell. Though I get a feeling he will renew as well, but on massive wages similar to Kane.

KingMinger22

Spurs has to smash their budget. Their going no where if they don’t start paying these players at least relatively competitively.

They don’t have to pay the best, but they need to be in the range. This is an instance of this and I hope they do it more.

Spurs are great to watch and the more competitive the league is, the better.

KingMinger22

There are always these stupid debates about which league is the best, blah, blah.

But one way that the PL is unique is that probably the fifth “biggest” club can keep their superstar player.

That just does not happen in other leagues.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What this indicates is that we are entering new territory as a club - we are now prepared to play the same sort of wages the 'big' clubs can afford to keep our very best players. I expect Eriksen to be next on a big contract and then probably Alli and Verts. We are making the next step forward that we need to if we are to properly be a big club.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
All this ensures for Kane is that he gets better wages for a season before leaving.

Great for Spuds/Levy, as when he moves next Summer they'll get a truly mega-fee.

But if he wants to win trophies of note (or at all), he has to move elsewhere, this has been proven now.

Spurs just aren't a club that win anything.

Unless he's happy competing for the Golden Boot every year and a top 4 finish - if that's the case, then he's at the right club.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Spurs has to smash their budget. Their going no where if they don’t start paying these players at least relatively competitively.

They don’t have to pay the best, but they need to be in the range. This is an instance of this and I hope they do it more.

Spurs are great to watch and the more competitive the league is, the better.
Let's be honest, you're saying that possibly going off what no-nothings like TalkSport or Ian Wright broadcast. Spurs already had the 12th Highest wage bill in world football.

The "Spurs don't pay money" and "Have a wage budget" is media hogwash perpetuated by the need to try and attack a club for having good financial health.

New stadium = higher projected matchday income, thus a greater % of projected income is now available for wages. This is driven by a number of factors, not least STCC (which dictate the max percentage wage bill growth allowable per season).

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Let's be honest, you're saying that possibly going off what no-nothings like TalkSport or Ian Wright broadcast. Spurs already had the 12th Highest wage bill in world football.

The "Spurs don't pay money" and "Have a wage budget" is media hogwash perpetuated by the need to try and attack a club for having good financial health.

New stadium = higher projected matchday income, thus a greater % of projected income is now available for wages. This is driven by a number of factors, not least STCC (which dictate the max percentage wage bill growth allowable per season).
Straight out of the Glaston playbook. Nice one.

finneh

It's all taken care of … so you don't need to worry.
As we've seen with Ronaldo... having 4 years left on your contract is immaterial... If Erikson's agent walks into Levy's office over the summer and demands £150k a week or he leaves next Summer with only 1 year left on his contract... Levy doesn't really have a choice but to sell or extend.

Likewise if Alderweireld says he wants £150k or he leaves for £25m next summer... The same situation applies.

Even Alli or Lloris who have a contract until 2022... If they want a new £150k contract otherwise they'll instruct their agent to look at alternatives... You're in a stronger position of course, but you're not going to let them rot in the reserves and won't want a toxic player in the squad.

Alderweireld and Erikson are the obvious concerns though.

Not only that but any player you're looking to sign now knows that £180k is within your wage budget. Their agents will be working backwards from that figure instead of working backwards from the pervious £100k

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm sure I'm not the only United fan that has wet dreams over Eriksen joining United. Right?

:nervous:
I don’t blame you but I don’t see where he fits in your side, he players left or centrally.
All this ensures for Kane is that he gets better wages for a season before leaving.

Great for Spuds/Levy, as when he moves next Summer they'll get a truly mega-fee.

But if he wants to win trophies of note (or at all), he has to move elsewhere, this has been proven now.

Unless he's happy competing for the Golden Boot every year and a top 4 finish - if that's the case, then he's at the right club.
A tad short sighted but you are entitled to your opinion.

This is an unnecessary post, and is just antoginistic. Be nice to have a middle ground between the over optimistic Spurs fans on here and those who want to bash them at every opportunity.

We all know there is no certainty in football, but this is nothing but great news for Spurs.

Aboutreika18

He's set up nicely to be the next Alan Shearer then.

A top-class 30+ goal a season striker who won't win anything at club level but will probably break some individual records in the Premier League.

Should probably end up breaking the England goalscoring record if he finally makes his mark on tournament football.

Nothing about him suggests that he has the ability or willingness to adapt to playing in a different country/culture like Bale did, which is why talk of him moving abroad always seemed a bit odd.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Straight out of the Glaston playbook. Nice one.
...or, y'know, based on researchable fact?

I mean, we could all do an Arsenal and pay our crappest players £300k a week and then ponder where it all went wrong...?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This is an unnecessary post, and is just antoginistic. Be nice to have a middle ground between the over optimistic Spurs fans on here and those who want to bash them at every opportunity.

We all know there is no certainty in football, but this is nothing but great news for Spurs.
It's my opinion, and if you read it properly you'll see that I clearly stated that it's great for Spurs.

It's (thus far) a fact that Spurs don't win anything, it's a fair comment. They've won literally nothing in what, 11 years ffs?

It's also a fair comment that it's anomalous for the best striker in the league to be at a club who never win anything and just stay there, winning nothing...

Thus, I think he'll leave if that continues, new contract or not.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I don't get this part, are you implying that the media have an agenda against Spurs and they are actively attacking the club because they are financially secure?

Can you provide evidence to support this claim?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't get this part, are you implying that the media have an agenda against Spurs and they are actively attacking the club because they are financially secure?

Your seriously saying the media aren’t trying to sell ours players, oh and more recently our manager saying “they can get what they are worth elsewhere”? Come on...

KingMinger22

12th in the world. 5th in the league.

That is absolutely miles off (less than half) the top payers though.

Also, there is an incredibly close correlation with league position and wage bill. I saw a chart for it once and it’s almost a perfect correlation.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

You mean literally every episode of match of the day, or the every-other-day mention of it in the papers and on Sky Sports etc. etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure why anyone is too surprised he's signed a new contract.

If you were offered huge money to stay in your comfortable job, where you live and are from, with no real pressure of achieving anything, why on earth would you leave!?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Your seriously saying the media aren’t trying to sell ours players, oh and more recently our manager saying “they can get what they are worth elsewhere”? Come on...
No, I responded to a claim that suggested the media were attacking Spurs because they are financially secure.

You mean literally every episode of match of the day, or the every-other-day mention of it in the papers and on Sky Sports etc. etc.
I've literally never heard anyone on MotD attack spurs because of their financial situation. Ever.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

).
It's not really is it. Until very recently, it's simply a fact that the big clubs play their top players higher wages than Tottenham pay theirs.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
...or, y'know, based on researchable fact?

I mean, we could all do an Arsenal and pay our crappest players £300k a week and then ponder where it all went wrong...?
That's textbook propaganda. Take a sprinkle of truth to create a wholesale lie. Spurs are the 12th richest, this doesn't mean they play their players the going rate (hint: a look at Spurs wage bill, as well as comparing salaries will tell this fact).

Kane's bumper new contract was the top rate for players 2-3 years ago. Lukaku is on the same basic, Pogba earns the same basic as Kane does after bonuses, De Bruyne's new contract blows Kane out of the water. Kane is Spurs talisman, and will be one of their top earners, yet there is a massive list of players that earn more than him.

Spurs are the 12th richest in the world, which means that they can't pay the rate for top players because there's several clubs that pay can outbid them. Kane would be paid considerably more at many other clubs, of course that's not important to him because he's a local player and wants to stay at Spurs long term, but it's the truth.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's textbook propaganda. Take a sprinkle of truth to create a wholesale lie. Spurs are the 12th richest, this doesn't mean they play their players the going rate (hint: a look at Spurs wage bill, as well as comparing salaries will tell this fact).

Kane's bumper new contract was the top rate for players 2-3 years ago. Lukaku is on the same basic, Pogba earns the same basic as Kane does after bonuses, De Bruyne's new contract blows Kane out of the water. Kane is Spurs talisman, and will be one of their top earners, yet there is a massive list of players that earn more than him.

Spurs are the 12th richest in the world, which means that they can't pay the rate for top players because there's several clubs that pay can outbid them. Kane would be paid considerably more at many other clubs, of course that's not important to him because he's a local player and wants to stay at Spurs long term, but it's the truth.
Wouldn’t argue with any of that to be honest.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wouldn’t argue with any of that to be honest.
It's why I like you mate. You don't try to paint Spurs to be something they aren't. You've got a good thing going, players believe in the project and want to see where they can go in it. If they don't get what they want, they move for one last contract elsewhere.

It happened with Walker (and Rose tried some funny business but it backfired), it's happening with Alderweireld and Dembele. It works for both Tottenham and the buying clubs. Spurs get 4-5 years from their players and sell for a profit. Buying clubs get a top player in to suit their team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's why I like you mate. You don't try to paint Spurs to be something they aren't. You've got a good thing going, players believe in the project and want to see where they can go in it. If they don't get what they want, they move for one last contract elsewhere.

It happened with Walker (and Rose tried some funny business but it backfired), it's happening with Alderweireld and Dembele. It works for both Tottenham and the buying clubs. Spurs get 4-5 years from their players and sell for a profit. Buying clubs get a top player in to suit their team.
Again not much to argue with apart from Dembele, I’d love the guy to stay but I think he asking for a long contract and given his history I don’t think he has it in him.

As for anything else we don’t pay elite club wages and we don’t have a history of winning. We have relied a lot on our manager who I do think has a massive influence on our first team players, but yeah we need to start winning trophies and regularly if we want to kick on.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho signed a new deal last January, and wanted to leave 5 months later. Kane may indeed be dedicated to Spurs, but they mean little in the scheme of things these days.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Coutinho signed a new deal last January, and wanted to leave 5 months later. Kane may indeed be dedicated to Spurs, but they mean little in the scheme of things these days.
I think that’s a bit of a tedious link, even before Kane signed his new contract I had little doubt he would. He is Spurs through and through and will give us time as he has continually said. If we are in the same position in 2-3 years he will go.

Dundrummer

He's set up nicely to be the next Alan Shearer then.

A top-class 30+ goal a season striker who won't win anything at club level but will probably break some individual records in the Premier League.
At least Shearer had already won the league before committing himself to his hometown club in a quixotic attempt at gaining them glory for the first time in decades.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
No, I responded to a claim that suggested the media were attacking Spurs because they are financially secure.

I've literally never heard anyone on MotD attack spurs because of their financial situation. Ever.

Do you even watch it? Or read papers? It took me seconds to find this https://goo.gl/FJ6yUy

I don't have the privileges to post tweets in