Harry Kane MBE | Performances

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Watching the highlights again And Kane should have had 2 clear penalties horrendous reffing, one of the defenders had him in what was nearly a sleeper hold.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I agree Kane is a good passer both long and short, but it is true Lukaku is a better crosser, better one on one when isolated with a defender out wide too. He is just a more dynamic player but Kane is much better
I agree with that, Kane is an out and out number 9. With his standard and varied finishing ability is what makes him the player he is.

Hansa

To be fair I'd fancy him to score that 50/50 shot rather than passing to a teammate who currently couldn't hit a barn door even if it's an open goal.
"Feck, itssh Jesshe unmarked, I think I'll jussht have a schot myshelf"

Traub

No, more chance than Lukaku - even tho' Lukaku is a contender - for two reasons: 1) Kane generally scores at a higher rate; 2) England have more chance than Belgium IMO in going deeper into the tournament.
Also I think England will be more geared to maximising Kane’s output. Belgium has more goal scorers so I expect their goals to be more well spread.

Hansa

Jesse had 3 decent chances, one nailed on and fluffed them all I'd say if the first chance had feel to him later in the game he would have scored it.
Yeah, he's proving it on the biggest stage (so far). I'd still like to see a bit more from him, though. I thought he was strangely subdued during the game, more or less sticking to a very confined part of the pitch. It wouldn't hurt him to give a little bit of assistance to the midfield/wingers, although that could obviously be down to specific intstructions from the manager.

Edit: Not quite sure whether you're talking about Jesse or Harry later in the game here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No, more chance than Lukaku - even tho' Lukaku is a contender - for two reasons: 1) Kane generally scores at a higher rate; 2) England have more chance than Belgium IMO in going deeper into the tournament.
England have more chance? I don’t get how you reached that conclusion especially given it took a last minute goal to get a win today.

Belgium score more goals btw and Lukaku in is great form for his country goal scoring wise

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, he's proving it on the biggest stage (so far). I'd still like to see a bit more from him, though. I thought he was strangely subdued during the game, more or less sticking to a very confined part of the pitch. It wouldn't hurt him to give a little bit of assistance to the midfield/wingers, although that could obviously be down to specific intstructions from the manager.
I don't like the 2 up front, neither Kane nor Sterling seem to really know what to do, I'd prefer Rashford up front with him or as a second striker. For us Kane drops deep and plays really good passes.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I don't like the 2 up front, neither Kane nor Sterling seem to really know what to do, I'd prefer Rashford up front with him or as a second striker. For us Kane drops deep and plays really good passes.
Me too. Drop Sterling and bring in Rashford.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
England have more chance? I don’t get how you reached that conclusion especially given it took a last minute goal to get a win today.

Belgium score more goals btw and Lukaku in is great form for his country goal scoring wise
It's an opinion. I feel that England will be less cautious and more brave than Belgium in trying to win games. Time will tell.

Hansa

If England and Belgium both win their next games, it will be Fellaini vs Delph in the last game. They'll easily sacrifice winning the group in favour of a fully rested squad for the next round.

Gross Domestic Peasant

Me too. Drop Sterling and bring in Rashford.
I think this is right. Sterling is very quickly becoming a liability so far as scoring is concerned, and we're going to have to spread the goals around if we want to stay competitive. Rashford offers more in that respect, and I think Southgate has the right mindset to make a positive change.

As for Kane, as the cross for the winner went in, I was thinking he'd had a very quiet game apart from getting the opener. He really hadn't done much else, but then he popped up with the decisive goal, which negates the rest of his performance I suppose. I'd like to see another player contribute with a goal in the next game, with or without Kane on the scoresheet.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If England and Belgium both win their next games, it will be Fellaini vs Delph in the last game. They'll easily sacrifice winning the group in favour of a fully rested squad for the next round.
I think Tunisia could frustrate Belgium as much as they frustrated England. It's an intresting group.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think this is right. Sterling is very quickly becoming a liability so far as scoring is concerned, and we're going to have to spread the goals around if we want to stay competitive. Rashford offers more in that respect, and I think Southgate has the right mindset to make a positive change.

As for Kane, as the cross for the winner went in, I was thinking he'd had a very quiet game apart from getting the opener. He really hadn't done much else, but then he popped up with the decisive goal, which negates the rest of his performance I suppose. I'd like to see another player contribute with a goal in the next game, with or without Kane on the scoresheet.
England had plenty of chances for other players, but just didn't take them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One of those ones where anybody critical of his performance doesn't have eyes. They kept 2 defenders man marking him or rugby tackling him all night and he still produced the goods.
I saw it with my own eyes, he was totally/freely/strangely unmarked for the 2nd goal.

Gross Domestic Peasant

England had plenty of chances for other players, but just didn't take them.
Well yeah, but Sterling in particular is too accomplished at missing chances. That might be tolerable if he was contributing elsewhere, but his overall performance earlier was poor. I think what has harmed England previously was persisting with things that weren't working for far too long. Southgate deserves credit for being decisive, and I hope he gives Rashford a start in the next game.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well yeah, but Sterling in particular is too accomplished at missing chances. That might be tolerable if he was contributing elsewhere, but his overall performance earlier was poor. I think what has harmed England previously was persisting with things that weren't working for far too long. Southgate deserves credit for being decisive, and I hope he gives Rashford a start in the next game.
Me too, I don't like Walker as a CB either. It wasn't just the flailing a bit why was he facing his own goal when that ball went in?

raggy

Supports
Spurs
I saw it with my own eyes, he was totally/freely/strangely unmarked for the 2nd goal.
The two times he wasn't being rugby tackled or having some MMA choke hold being performed on him he managed to ghost free and score. You can see why Tunisia spent so much of the night wrestling him.

BigMacBaz

The best no9 in the world atm. As much as I like Rom would swap them in a heartbeat.

dbs235

Very strange game from him. Almost invisible in a relentless wave of attacks, yet still becomes the hero.

I think so too. For England's sake, I just hope he doesn't get too caught up in personal glory. You always get the sense that that he would attempt a 50/50 shot, rather than passing to a "must score" teammate.
Agree with all of this. Even at the start when England were flying forward, he wasn't involved. But he'd have surely buried all the sitters the others missed. And yeah I can't see him passing to a player in a better position which one day might cost us. Although they'd probably miss the chance anyway if he did pass to them.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
And that’s my point imo he will be better than Kane in the forth coming seasons, of course it’s going to be impossible to prove given the different styles both teams play but as a united fan, I’m happy we have lukaku rather than Kane going into the next seasons....
I love Redrom I really do, and some of the flack he cops on here I dont get, hes a great striker. But Kane is a level above, Kane is arguably one of the best out and out strikers in the game.

Players need to post stats season after season to move into that next bracket, and then perform on the big stages. Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski, Kane. We see this with Mo Salah, can he back up that amazing season? Kane has posted four seasons in a row 20+ goals, one of those seasons 30+, and what two or three golden boots in there? Every time I see an article about Kane he is breaking some kind of record, some that have stood for a very long time. Most strikers will have dips in form where they dont have a great season, Rooney, Drogba etc. Im waiting for Kane to have one but im not sure he will without some kind of injury to hamper his game.

base615

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Most strikers will have dips in form where they dont have a great season, Rooney, Drogba etc. Im waiting for Kane to have one but im not sure he will without some kind of injury to hamper his game.
Kane doesn't have good Augusts

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He isn't playing on the wing for England though.
No, he's playing further forward where he'll find even more goalscoring opportunity.

feck it though, it doesn't matter that he's had an elite season in a record breaking side. Needs throwing into a gulag after today's performance.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's pretty obvious he's essentially the new Shearer.

The question is whether he'll make the same career mistakes as Shearer, and stubbornly stick it out at a Beta club until it's too late.

Woziak

Harry Kane is unquestionably World Class and even as a massive United and Lukaku fan, I have to admit Kane is the better striker, he's more clinical and has a far better touch. As far as out and out No 9's go if we include Christiano as one, the current Rankings would probably look like something like this ;

1. Ronaldo
2. Lewandowski
3. Kane
4. Aguero
5. Cavani
6. Lukaku
7. D Costa
8. Suarez
9. Aubameyang
10. Higuain or Benzema

Of course it's completely subjective with other players like Lacazette, Mbappe, Rashford, Tino Werner, Mandzukic, Icardi, Falcao, Moratta, all being great strikers but are they focal point of the team with most, either playing wide to accommodate others in the starting line up or not having the consistency of the above group.
Ps I've probably missed someone out but most will agree Kane is in top 3 to 5 in the World?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It's pretty obvious he's essentially the new Shearer.

The question is whether he'll make the same career mistakes as Shearer, and stubbornly stick it out at a Beta club until it's too late.
By the looks of the new contract he signed, the answer is yes. No club will play 200m+ to buy him. Though to be fair in Shearer's case it was actively his decision to turn down bigger clubs whilst here if Spurs were to accept some bid, Kane might happily go to a bigger club.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
No, he's playing further forward where he'll find even more goalscoring opportunity.

feck it though, it doesn't matter that he's had an elite season in a record breaking side. Needs throwing into a gulag after today's performance.
I think the problem is that the City side created a truck load of chances. England would not be able to match that and in a tight game in knockouts a single missed chance can be very costly.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I think the problem is that the City side created a truck load of chances. England would not be able to match that and in a tight game in knockouts a single missed chance can be very costly.
Every player misses chances. Sterling having poor end product is a myth.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think Harry Kane has done enough in his club to be considered among best strikers in the world and having a good world cup can definitely rise his profile but I also thinks he would need to move to a better club for people to start rating him above the likes of Lewandowski, Aguero, etc.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Still gonna take Lukaku over him all day long.
If you compare their records over the past 5 seasons it proves that you are being straight delusional. There is no contest between these players they shouldn't be spoken about in the same conversations.

Even an injury slowing Kane down this season still saw Lukaku only manage to get 16 goals compared to Kane's 30 in the Premier League. He took on average nearly twice as many minutes per goal.