Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
England had an absolute stinker of a tournament with Kane especially being totally misused by an inept manager - he took the corners for goodness sake?! He didn't have a good tournament but I dont think any English player (bar possibly Dier) came away having played well. He has plenty of time to prove himself.
Kane missed chances and played badly in terms of his own game irrespective of the system or the fact he took corners. It wasn't a case of 'this fella looks like an outstanding player being mis-used,' he was just bad.

Others were poor, but they weren't expected to do as much as Kane going into the campaign off the back of the season he'd just had.

Pressure and scrutiny go hand-in-hand with being a star striker, much more so than any other position and that's why it's vital that forwards prove they can handle all of that when they get the chance and that's also when they're classed as bona fide, a1 talents.

Kane is young and has years yet to make an impression on grander stages than the PL. When/if he does he'll be regarded in the same way the truly elite strikers of the game are.
Leaving aside the Euro's which nobody in England played well tbh - he can only prove himself against the teams he is up against - Spurs wimpered out of the Champions League this season but he still scored 2 goals in 3 matches - he can't do much more than that.

He is not the flashiest of players, he doesnt beat people for fun or have blistering pace so I can see how some people maybe do not appretiate him as a player. But I think he is the real deal. If he can stay fit he will be a consistently top class striker and will score an absolute bucket load of goals throughout his career. A striker who consistently scores goals will always be in demand and he I believe will prove himself to be one of the very best around.
I'm a big fan of Thomas Muller, so it's got little to do with aesthetics from my perspective. I've got nothing against Kane, I just think he's being hailed as some elite talent prematurely before he's done enough to warrant that.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kane missed chances and played badly in terms of his own game irrespective of the system or the fact he took corners. It wasn't a case of 'this fella looks like an outstanding player being mis-used,' he was just bad.

Others were poor, but they weren't expected to do as much as Kane going into the campaign off the back of the season he'd just had.

Pressure and scrutiny go hand-in-hand with being a star striker, much more so than any other position and that's why it's vital that forwards prove they can handle all of that when they get the chance and that's also when they're classed as bona fide, a1 talents.

Kane is young and has years yet to make an impression on grander stages than the PL. When/if he does he'll be regarded in the same way the truly elite strikers of the game are.
I'm a big fan of Thomas Muller, so it's got little to do with aesthetics from my perspective. I've got nothing against Kane, I just think he's being hailed as some elite talent prematurely before he's done enough to warrant that.
Like you said he has plenty of time to prove himself but right now we can only go on his record up to this point which is very impressive. I also love Muller as a player by the way and in some ways some folk dismiss Kane for the same reasons some dismiss Muller.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Clubs couldn't care less what a player has done at international level when they are considering buying them, as they don't buy them to play international football.

If they buy a player with a good international record they might make a big deal of it for media, brand and all the associated nonsense but it will have zero to do with their decision.

Some top players come from countries who will rarely or ever do anything on the international stage, are they immediately discounted unless they've got Champions League pedigree, no is the answer.

Apart from RVN you mean? Or Ole Gunnar Solskjær?
RVN - I loved him but no coincidence he was here in a lean period and was sold precisely because he couldn't get involved in our play.

Solskjaer - super because he could always score but sub because he couldn't get involved with general play enough.

Proves my point.

Or Van Persie. Or Rooney. Most of our strikers the last 20 years were like Kane
RVP - with us one season effectively.

Rooney - you've never seen him play if you think all he does is score.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He only scores pens
He only scores pens
It's Harry Kaaaane
He only scores pens

Well now you are just being ridiculous. Go and troll somewhere else.
What's ridiculous about it @balaks? It's true; 4 of his 13 league goals (I thought it was 12, so it's actually just under a third) this season have been pens have they not? I've said earlier in this thread today today that I think he's top drawer if you think in some way I'm underrating him by stating that fact!

4/13 of Kane's are pens.
1/14 of Zlatan's are pens.
0/14 of Alexis' or Costa's are pens.

So yes, as the poster said, Kane has played less than the rest, but it's no "more impressive" as he also claimed, better put would be that his goalscoring is "just as impressive".

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Clubs couldn't care less what a player has done at international level when they are considering buying them, as they don't buy them to play international football.

If they buy a player with a good international record they might make a big deal of it for media, brand and all the associated nonsense but it will have zero to do with their decision.

Some top players come from countries who will rarely or ever do anything on the international stage, are they immediately discounted unless they've got Champions League pedigree, no is the answer.
I imagine it can make a modest difference to a player's transfer fee, though. Since, as you mention, it helps the player's brand and is therefore good for the brand of whatever club they play for.

Whilst a club is unlikely to be put off Kane because he wasn't successful for a dismal England side, If Kane had scored for fun at the Euros and become the undisputed face of English football, it'd probably up the amount Spurs would be quoting to any potential buyers, should they be willing to hear offers.

Anyway, if he does leave soon I'd expect it to be more than the Bale fee.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What's ridiculous about it @balaks? It's true; 4 of his 13 league goals (I thought it was 12, so it's actually just under a third) this season have been pens have they not? I've said earlier in this thread today today that I think he's top drawer if you think in some way I'm underrating him by stating that fact!

4/13 of Kane's are pens.
1/14 of Zlatan's are pens.
0/14 of Alexis' or Costa's are pens.
Ahh ok sorry I misread your post - I thought you were claiming that one third of all the goals he has ever scored were 'pen like' i.e. were as easy to score as penalties. Wow I really have turned precious lol Sorry!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well for one thing, he's scored 13 league goals this season.....

So even if for some reason, we're removing penalties as goals for players, his record would still be 9 goals in 16 games this season.

Or 50 in 99. If we're removing penalties

I can see why some man utd fans don't rate Kane as highly as Spurs or other clubs fans do. He's never scored against you or actually played as well as be can against you. It was the same problem Bale had actually.

Ahh ok sorry I misread your post - I thought you were claiming that one third of all the goals he has ever scored were 'pen like' i.e. were as easy to score as penalties. Wow I really have turned precious lol Sorry!
ha ha, no mate "like".

And as I added there, as the poster said, Kane has played less than the rest, but it's no "more impressive" as he also claimed, better put would be that his goalscoring is "just as impressive". Which was the original point I was making.

And I wouldn't worry about being precious, judging by the post above @africanspur is definitely outdoing you there :)

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
A short while ago, the general feeling on here was that Aguero is the best striker in the league.

Since the start of 2015, Kane has scored 7 more league goals than him. And goals scored from penalties?

Kane - 10
Aguero - 12

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
ha ha, no mate "like".

And as I added there, as the poster said, Kane has played less than the rest, but it's no "more impressive" as he also claimed, better put would be that his goalscoring is "just as impressive". Which was the original point I was making.

And I wouldn't worry about being precious, judging by the post above @africanspur is definitely outdoing you there :)
It's OK, bad maths gets to me but at least it's been corrected now!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A short while ago, the general feeling on here was that Aguero is the best striker in the league.

Since the start of 2015, Kane has scored 7 more goals than him. And goals scored from penalties?

Kane - 10
Aguero - 12
I say this unwillingly, being reluctant to praise Spurs given it's you I'm quoting, but Kane's been playing for a rather better team, in that time, I'd say.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Kane's has 3 penalties in the league hasn't he?

Last edited:
I don't know - but the important point, given your emphasis on pens, is that Kane's league goals over the last 2 years and a bit include only 10 pens, which is not a huge number, compared to some strikers.
That's not the important point at all @GlastonSpur. The important point when comparing him to Aguero is games played... obviously.

I'd imagine he still comes out of it very favourably.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Since the start of the 2014/15 season:

Aguero has 61 goals in 77 games (12 penalties)
Kane has 59 goals in 88 games (10 penalties)
Actually my post referred to the start of 2015, not the 2014-15 season, but no matter.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Actually my post referred to the start of 2015, not the 2014-15 season, but no matter.
Ok then why were you using penalty statistics from the start of the 14/15 season? It's confusing.

No matter...

2015 onwards:
Aguero: 47 (10) - 62 appearances (0.76 gpg)
Kane: 54 (10) - 73 appearances (0.74 gpg)

From the start of 2015/16 season
Aguero: 35 (7) - 44 appearances (0.8 gpg)
Kane: 38(8) - 54 appearances (0.7 gpg)

From the start of 2014/15
Aguero: 61 (12) - 77 appearances (.79 gpg)
Kane: 59 (10) - 88 appearances (.67 gpg)

So it seems like your chosen start date happens to begin with Kane's strongest period (coincidentally Aguero's weakest as he was coming back from injury). If you take a slightly longer or shorter view the slight but significant difference remains clear.

Dobbs

the slight but significant difference remains clear.
Not sure that makes sense. There's hardly anything in it so I don't see what's significant really.

Statistically and from looking at performance level they seem pretty on par to me.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Not sure that makes sense. There's hardly anything in it so I don't see what's significant really.

Statistically and from looking at performance level they seem pretty on par to me.
The fact it looks like there's hardly anything in it is why I say it's "slight", the fact that it translates into Aguero scoring one goal more every ten games is why I reckon it's "significant". An extra 4 goals a season might translate to a 4 point improvement or something.

I guess you have to take Aguero's injury proneness into account though - he never gives you a full season - and that does detrimentally affect his value. Kane's a lot younger too.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Ok then why were you using penalty statistics from the start of the 14/15 season? It's confusing.

No matter...

2015 onwards:

So it seems like your chosen start date happens to begin with Kane's strongest period (coincidentally Aguero's weakest as he was coming back from injury). If you take a slightly longer or shorter view the slight but significant difference remains clear.
Blimey it's not bad considering one has been in the peak of his career and the other has been largely at the start of his.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Blimey it's not bad considering one has been in the peak of his career and the other has been largely at the start of his.
True - though I'd wager Kane is also approaching his peak now and in the coming few years and then will decline quickly in his late 20s (like Rooney).

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Don't get me wrong I reckon Kane is an absolutely cracking player. Local hero type stuff, which is always brilliant. No need to conflate cherry picked stats to emphasise what shouldn't need emphasising though. What would you say the case is as a Spurs fan? Is Kane improving or just maintaining his (already excellent) level?

Dobbs

The fact it looks like there's hardly anything in it is why I say it's "slight", the fact that it translates into Aguero scoring one goal more every ten games is why I reckon it's "significant". An extra 4 goals a season might translate to a 4 point improvement or something.

I guess you have to take Aguero's injury proneness into account though - he never gives you a full season - and that does detrimentally affect his value. Kane's a lot younger too.
Yeah I suppose those extra goals could translate to a four point jump but equally they could be meaningless. Too small a gap to differentiate for me.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

2015 onwards:

Looks like gpg gap has been closing as time passes, from a gap of 0.12 for the first period, then to 0.1, and now just 0.02. Perhaps Kane will close it completely and then overtake before this season ends.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Looks like gpg gap has been closing as time passes, from a gap of 0.12 for the first period, then to 0.1, and now just 0.02. Perhaps Kane will close it completely and then overtake before this season ends.
The current gap is .1 (from the start of the 2015/16 season). Basically Kane had an unbelievably good run at the end of 2014/15 which saw him score 16 in 19. Aguero scored 12 in 18 over the same period. That sort of "skews"* the stats.

*I mean not really, Kane deserves huge credit for banging them in over that period, but you get what I mean.

Dobbs

He's a first class striker but he doesn't put the fear of God into you like Rooney, Torres, Henry and Suarez did.
True. As good as he is I feel he needs the team around him to perform. Over the long run that's true of all strikers but can he produce magic when his team is struggling. Not sure.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
True. As good as he is I feel he needs the team around him to perform. Over the long run that's true of all strikers but can he produce magic when his team is struggling. Not sure.
You should look at the quality of some of his goals and in big games.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Don't get me wrong I reckon Kane is an absolutely cracking player. Local hero type stuff, which is always brilliant. No need to conflate cherry picked stats to emphasise what shouldn't need emphasising though. What would you say the case is as a Spurs fan? Is Kane improving or just maintaining his (already excellent) level?
In my eyes he's improving, he has more all round quality than some people give him quality for. But biggest thing for me is his hunger for goals, some forwards want to score goals, Kane is one of those who lives goals.

AXVnee7

He's a first class striker but he doesn't put the fear of God into you like Rooney, Torres, Henry and Suarez did.
I think a large part of that has to do with the team he plays for, and the stigma attached to them.