Harry Kane MBE | Performances

El Jefe

You say Bale left when he was 23, but he had the best season of his career (performance and productivity-wise) at Tottenham and they still did not win a trophy. Is that because of him or is that possibly because football is about more than just one player? Bale managed to do it at Real Madrid, but being part of a much better team couldn't have possibly made that possible, could it?

Perhaps Kyle Walker should have stopped the opposition from scoring? Game changing does not come from just scoring goals - he could have created chances (which he did at City) or made sure the team didn't concede (which he did at City). After all, you need to concede to lose a game, so how is that not game changing?

It probably seems unfair to you that I am putting the defensive responsibility entirely on Walker, but that is what you are doing with Kane up the other end. The team determines whether the club wins a tournament, not one player.

The finals that Tottenham lost, 9 times out of 10 you would predict them to lose (City and Chelsea were better teams by a country mile). That is the truth of the matter. Tottenham just aren't all that good across the team. Even their strongest team in recent years has become overrated; it actually had serious deficiencies, particularly in central midfield and the right wing (in that they didn't have one).

Regarding England, they lost the final against Italy, predominantly due to their negative mindset after the goal. They dropped so deep that even the midfield was pretty on the edge of our box. There is so much that isn't being taken into account by people, which is far too important to ignore. Tactics, manager ability, and teammates levels form the fulcrum of all successful clubs, not one player.
This just reads as if its everyone else's fault and and nothing to do with Kane at all. Again a long list of flimsy excuses because you're unwilling to hold Kane accountable to high standards.

As I said Bale was 23 and pretty much only became a factor for Spurs in his last two and a bit seasons. You're comparing Bale from the age of 21-23 to Kane from 22-30.

Again the Kyle Walker comparison is a poor one. No one will hold Carvajal to the same standards as Benzema, this is exactly what you're doing with Walker and Kane. Walker was never the talisman or best player for Spurs, Kane has been that for years.

With the rest of your post you're essentially saying the team or manager is shit which is why he couldn't win but how did they reach those finals? You also keep dancing around the fact that myself and other posters haven't limited it to winning necessarily but the complete no shows from Kane in these moments. If he played well and lost, he wouldnt have as much heat on him but he's been anonymous in these games. Was it tactics that made him miss a penalty in ET in a WC semi final?

Top players drag their teams to win trophies especially attackers as they are the main difference makers. Benzema displayed that throughout the CL last season, Ibrahimovic made a career of this as did Drogba. Kane might have trophies if he played for a bigger club of course but he absolutely deserve criticism for not making any real impact in the biggest moments of his career so far. Even Jenas the most biased Spurs fan has admitted to that.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The maths is fine. He scored 32 goals against poor opposition, 18 penalties and just 4 goals (in open play) against teams not on that list.

What’s missing is a comparison. All strikers score relatively few goals against top opposition. Their teams scores fewer goals in those fixtures and they play top teams relatively infrequently.

So his rant is completely meaningless without doing the same analysis for Rooney (and/or any other top striker)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The maths is fine. He scored 32 goals against poor opposition, 18 penalties and just 4 goals (in open play) against teams not on that list.

What’s missing is a comparison. All strikers score relatively few goals against top opposition. Their teams scores fewer goals in those fixtures and they play top teams relatively infrequently.

So his rant is completely meaningless without doing the same analysis for Rooney (and/or any other top striker)
A look at Robert Lewandoski's numbers shows that he has scored 12 pens out of 78 goals and 10 open play goals against the following teams:

Germany
Portugal
Sweden
Spain
Denmark
Belgium
Chile (South American champions at the time).

And he plays for Poland.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The whole 'competitive' thing these days in European football is nonsense. I'd rather score a goal in a friendly against Brazil than score 10 goals against barely professional players in a 'competitive' qualifier. Not to mention that the former would probably be harder to do.....

MoskvaRed

Teams Rooney scored against > teams Kane scored against.

And nobody tried to ignore Kane’s goals in friendlies.
Rooney was a more talented player than Kane and, as a United fan, I’m eternally grateful for his contribution. However, for England, Rooney was genuinely awful in the five tournaments he played after his breakthrough in 2004. Injuries provide some excuse in 2006 and 2010 but, by the same measure, Kane should get a pass for the 2019 CL final. Kane has been the better England player even though Rooney’s club career was at a way higher level.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Lukaku outperforms him on international level, it really doesnt mean much. International football is really poor.

PaulScholes99

Think he meant that outside of pens and goals against shit (in his opinion) teams he's scored four. Shit why am I here rationalizing Barton's tweets. Guess the lesson to learn is to never post his comments on here again. Everybody wins.

No, the maths is not fine. You can't just calculate he scored 32 goals against poor opposition, and 18 penalties IN TOTAL - so if he has 54 goals, he only scored 4 goals in open play against teams not on that list. Because some of the 18 penalties were scored against the poor opposition and are already included in the 32 goals. (To be exact: 2 penalties against San Marino, 2 against Panama, 1 against Bulgaria, Lithuania, Andorra). So the correct maths would be: He scored 32 goals against the opposition of the list (including 7 penalties), of the other 22 goals against opposition not included in the list, 11 were penalties. So he scored 11 open play goals against "good" opposition (whoever decides this, e.g. i would call Senegal in world cup knock out a decent game but whatever) .

el3mel

Imagine being Harry Kane, watching Haaland with City banging all these goals and close to winning a treble after Kane's failed move to City. He could have been in his shoes now dominating everything but instead he got stuck with Spurs and gonna play Conference League next year.

He might be pretending otherwise but I'm sure he's regretting this failed move to City few years ago more than anything else in his career. He will most probably retire now without a single trophy under his name. Crazy.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Imagine being Harry Kane, watching Haaland with City banging all these goals and close to winning a treble after Kane's failed move to City. He could have been in his shoes now dominating everything but instead he got stuck with Spurs and gonna play Conference League next year.

He might be pretending otherwise but I'm sure he's regretting this failed move to City few years ago more than anything else in his career. He will most probably retire now without a single trophy under his name. Crazy.

""Gentleman's agreement"" :lol:

redmeister

He'd have got Ronaldo or Messi kind of numbers if he was playing for City. 50 goals really isn't implausible for Kane with De Bruyne, Mahrez, Grealish and Silva supplying him.

Swedish_Plumber

He'd have got Ronaldo or Messi kind of numbers if he was playing for City. 50 goals really isn't implausible for Kane with De Bruyne, Mahrez, Grealish and Silva supplying him.
It sounds crazy to say given what the Norwegian robot has done but Kane would’ve suited them better in play style terms too.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It sounds crazy to say given what the Norwegian robot has done but Kane would’ve suited them better in play style terms too.
I could not disagree more. Man City need a striker who hovers around the box and penalty spot. It keeps their centre backs occupied.

Kane drops deep and often lurks around the halfway line. He is also nowhere near as explosive and powerful as Haaland.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I could not disagree more. Man City need a striker who hovers around the box and penalty spot. It keeps their centre backs occupied.

Kane drops deep and often lurks around the halfway line. He is also nowhere near as explosive and powerful as Haaland.
Kane drops deep because Spurs haven't had any creativity in their team since Eriksen and Alli left. He needs to be their 9 and 10.

When they were there, he played more like a typical striker, and would do so again if he was in City's team, or even ours or yours.

Swedish_Plumber

I mean I can’t really dispute what you’re saying given what Haalands done. He wouldn’t need to drop deep at City though plus his link up play is better too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean I can’t really dispute what you’re saying given what Haalands done. He wouldn’t need to drop deep at City though plus his link up play is better too.
What he contributes when he drops deep is current-Kane's main strength other than goalscoring though.

If you prevent him from doing so you're just left with a goalscorer with little pace and ability to press, at which point you should really question if he was the best buy. If you want Kane, you should want him dropping deep to get the most from him and adjust around it.

Swedish_Plumber

What he contributes when he drops deep is current-Kane's main strength other than goalscoring though.

If you prevent him from doing so you're just left with a goalscorer with little pace and ability to press, at which point you should really question if he was the best buy. If you want Kane, you should want him dropping deep to get the most from him and adjust around it.
Kane didn’t do too badly with Eriksen and Alli being the creative forces behind him though? That was when spurs as a team were at their best, when his focus was as the striker.

Ludens the Red

Absolute beast of a player. 28 goals with this rubbish team. Scored in more league games than anyone else. Scores all types of goals too. Left foot, right foot, outside the box, headers, you name it. He’d 100% be bettering what Haaland is doing at city if he was there. But Haaland is a lot younger so City still made the right signing and he still has room to improve. But purely as it is now, Kane is the better player. And no stat padding tap ins against Rb Leipzig and Leeds will change that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bang average player, too injured, too old. Can't hack it. Want Osimhen.

Sylar

I'm certain he's a player fergie goes all out for years ago.

Always liked him and he did kinda develop that part of dropping deep but still keeping his numbers high in terms of goals too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's obviously extremely good. And in isolation I think the older version of Kane with the extra playmaking ability is a better all-round footballer than the quicker, pressing younger version during the peak Poch years.

But scoring another goal (especially another goal from a set-piece) doesn't particularly counter the argument against signing him. I think we all know he'd score goals in at least the short-term, that's never been the concern.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Kane provides the near-certainty of goals.

But he also provides the certainty that you'll have a CF who lacks pace, pressing and dynamism. And you also have to decide whether allowing him to play to his strengths and drop into midfield is what suits your particular side.

That's the trade-off you're making, and for a 30 year old who will cost a lot of money. Some will be happy with it, some won't.

Personally, I wouldn't be. Partly because l don't particularly want our CF dropping into midfield, though others may diagree on that point. And that's a preference, I realise you could make it work.

Far more importantly though, I'm absolutely sick of our team carrying players who don't suit the pacey, dynamic, pressing side I want the team I watch every week to be. Even if those players have other qualities that in general make up for it, I'm tired of having to work around that particular weakness in our side.

Goals alone aren't enough, I want more upside than that. And I'd happily risk the certainty of goals for the potential for more. God knows I certainly had my fill of the "what does pressing matter when he's scoring goals?" argument last season. No more compromising on that front.

If others (including ETH) don't care about any of that and just want the guaranteed goals, that's fine. You probably will be happy with Kane even at the premium price we'd have to pay, because he's still an excellent footballer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm certain he's a player fergie goes all out for years ago.

Always liked him and he did kinda develop that part of dropping deep but still keeping his numbers high in terms of goals too.
Most definitely, SAF would have been all over him.
He said in an interview with Neville relatively recently that Kane + Son are two players he wished he managed.

Nogbadthebad

You can never really tell, hes looked like he has had enough in the previous couple of seasons too, but last home game and half the supporters have fecked off before the end and the overall reception, Kane looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Second time he scores 30 in a PL season and both times someone outscored :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No european football for first time since he became their main CF.

There is no reason at all for him to sign a new deal so I'm genuinely intrigued how Levy plays this now. Huge blow to his ego to lose one of the best strikers in europe in last decade on a free transfer so surely will avoid that possibility at all costs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best striker outside of a European tournament next season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We create chances for fun but have no centre forward to finish the moves off.

He scores for fun in a team that's devoid of any creativity and cohesion.

We need to Sheringham him.