Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Varun

Staff
Nobody will pay the fee that it'll require to prise him from their grasp and he's not going to kick up a fuss either.
Yup, that's how I see it too. People thinking 100mil will be enough to get him are kidding themselves. With the amount of money in the PL now and how critical Kane is to Spurs both on and off the pitch, the amount required to make Spurs sell would be far greater than what any club would be willing to pay. To bridge that gap, you'd need Kane to kick up a fuss which he won't unless Spurs fall down a peg for a couple of seasons at least. Has 4 odd years left on his contract too.

As I see it, he'll be there at least 2 more season. If Spurs fall out of the top 4 and stay that way till that time while he continues being brilliant, that'd be the summer when his head could be turned and given he'd just have 2yrs left on the contract, Spurs made to sell. That's a long way off though

DdeGoat

I remember one Woodward interview where he said that we as a club will go for the absolute top players. Time to put money where his mouth his. Shouldn't hesitate to pay £150m-£175m for this guy. We would be on 50 points with him in the team. Fantastic player. Simply terrific. On par with Lewandowski as the top pure striker in the world.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's under contract until summer 2022 - so he's already made his choice and signed away his options for the foreseeable future. The chances of Spurs selling Kane this summer, just before we move into our new stadium, are zero.

Moreover, Kane has his sights on Shearer's record in the Prem - so he won't move abroad, and Levy won't sell to a domestic rival. It's pure wishful thinking to imagine otherwise.
I had this debate with one of my mates recently. I think you're right, the likelihood of Kane being sold are minimal, he seems like a nice lad and very professional and wouldn't force a move, and is also a Spurs fan. However, if i was him and i think anyone with any real ambition would want to be playing on the biggest stage and for an elite club, winning things.

Spurs are a top 4 side at the moment, whereas Kane is probably the best striker in the world and would walk into any side in the world, so there's a clear mis-match.

I can't believe Kane would put Shearers record ahead of winning trophies, but who knows.

Seij

Yeah, fecking great play, it's to the point now which club in world football wouldnt want Kane? He's scored something like 50% of Spurs goals in the CL this campaign and 45% of them in the league. Again in the mix for the golden boot, tied with Salah at the top of the pile. If he wins it again who was the last player to win it three years running? Henry, Van Nistelrooy?
Shearer did it in the 90's and he's the only one. Unless he gets a major injury I'm pretty sure he's on track to get his third in a row. I don't think Salah will keep his pace up while Kane has proven himself over the past two and a half seasons. Kane has a tendency to score a bucketload of goals toward the end of the season as well.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Would like to see United at least test Spurs out with a serious bid for Kane, my guess £150-180 million, coupled with a bid to treble Kane's wages to around £300k per week.

Let's show some real intent ....and then who knows what might happen?
I'd be surprised if we went in for him at that sort of money, 12 months after shelling out on Lukaku.

AlwaysRed66

What made me laugh was the amount on people on here who said if they had a choice between him & Rashford, they would go for the latter. The top goalscorer in the Premier league for last three seasons, & we would go for a promising youngster. That is turning out well. Kane is a team player unlike Rashford.

Wilt

I'd be surprised if we went in for him at that sort of money, 12 months after shelling out on Lukaku.
Haha, just deleted my post! However, glad to see someone thought it worthy of a reply.

I imagine United would probably need to sell Lukaku to balance the books, a sacrifice worth taking imo.

Blind17

We all go about us being the biggest club in the the world but if you can't convince the best striker in the league (world) to play for us, its not something to harp on, is it?
If we can get him we won't have to moan like yesterday's game because he hardly ever misses,.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Look, I'm not saying that Kane will necessarily be at Spurs until he retires, although he might be.

I'm saying that he won't be sold this coming summer, regardless of how outstanding his performances might be for the rest of the season and at the World Cup. This is because his continued presence at Spurs is crucial - iconic - in the run-up to our new stadium - and during our first season in that stadium ... crucial for a whole variety of commercial/sponsorship reasons to do with Spurs and the new stadium. Levy knows this and thus he simply won't sell.

Real Madrid (or whoever) can offer £200m if they like, but it won't budge Levy.
I'm sure you know how systematic tapping up works and serves to destabilise players until they make the move.

Kane very probably has the best intentions and well wishes towards Spurs imaginable, but when he's got offers that could double or even triple his wage, plus a lower chance of winning trophies by staying where he is, it would actually be mental if he remained resolute and true to his initial words.

His profile is, or has, raised to the point where he deserves the going rate an elite striker gets paid, and that's as a bare minimum. Trophies he may or may not be able to do without, who knows, but I don't know of an elite player who will allow themselves to be undercut.

Even the Messi's and Ronaldo's constantly have their contracts renegotiated and bumped up and that's not necessarily because they're mercs or trying to fleece their clubs - it's because they are paid their worth to keep them happy and ward off potential suitors. Barca undercut Messi, and he'd be off, just like any other top player at any top club.

Levy is Levy and Kane may well be iconic, but the bottom line is going to be impasse if this iconic and crucial player is only worth £200k and the wage structure cannot be broken for.

You've an elite player on your hands, and with that comes the burden of paying the going rate and treating him like one.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Will he be a Le Tissier (stay at the club he loves winning little) or will he get bored of his personal trophy cabinet being made up of only MOTM and golden boot awards.

I can see him staying at Spurs at least for another couple of years but unless they start winning, he'll start thinking about a move surely?

Oscie

Presumably we did approach him but when he responded we couldn't decipher what the feck it was he said so we moved onto Lukaku instead.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Will he be a Le Tissier (stay at the club he loves winning little) or will he get bored of his personal trophy cabinet being made up of only MOTM and golden boot awards.

I can see him staying at Spurs at least for another couple of years but unless they start winning, he'll start thinking about a move surely?
Don't know if Le Tissier took a massive hit financially to stay, but I am guessing not.

Shearer won barely anything relative to what was on the table, but Blackburn, and more importantly, Newcastle, paid him what he would've gotten elsewhere, which must surely have made staying easy or easier than it otherwise would have been.

Kane on £200k pw for even a season, (let alone two) when he could be on double that or more elsewhere would be deserving of a sainthood never mind a pifling PL medal!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Don't know if Le Tissier took a massive hit financially to stay, but I am guessing not.
This is what the man himself said about it, you're right.

Back in those days there wasn't such a massive difference in wages between a team like Southampton and Tottenham. The difference pre-Sky wasn't that big, so it wasn't difficult to turn it down. But if I was in the situation now there's no way I could stay at Southampton. If you're on 10 grand a week and somebody is going to offer you 150 grand a week, it's not quite the same as being on 10 grand a week and turning down 15 grand a week.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...e-Tissier-I-was-getting-2000-paid-a-goal.html

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Yup, that's how I see it too. People thinking 100mil will be enough to get him are kidding themselves. With the amount of money in the PL now and how critical Kane is to Spurs both on and off the pitch, the amount required to make Spurs sell would be far greater than what any club would be willing to pay. To bridge that gap, you'd need Kane to kick up a fuss which he won't unless Spurs fall down a peg for a couple of seasons at least. Has 4 odd years left on his contract too.

As I see it, he'll be there at least 2 more season. If Spurs fall out of the top 4 and stay that way till that time while he continues being brilliant, that'd be the summer when his head could be turned and given he'd just have 2yrs left on the contract, Spurs made to sell. That's a long way off though
My thoughts as well. Kane might stay with Spurs if Tottenham kick on and establish themselves as a top 4 side and challenge for trophies. if so he would also be offered improved contracts. If we don't then I think he will leave abroad at some point, but I don't see him leaving this summer no matter what happens, after that it's hard to predict, but people hoping he will leave in the summer will end up disappointed I'd argue

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If he scores in our home game against S'hampton on Boxing Day then he breaks Shearer's record (currently tied with it) of 36 Prem goals in a calendar year.

And more:

* Has scored 50 Premier League away goals in just 67 games; at least 18 games faster than any other player in the competition's history.

* Is the first Englishman to score 50 or more in a single calendar year for club and country since Dixie Dean in 1927.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's on 53 goals this year right? With two games to go? Could finish the year as the top scorer in europe

beep

Just to put it in context, by the end of the 1993 season, Shearer was almost 23 and had 39 top-flight goals (23 D1 & 16 EPL). He had a total of 65 goals in all comps.

By the end of the 2017 season, Kane was almost 23 and had 78 EPL goals!!! He had a total of 99 goals in all comps.

(c) wikipedia

By December 26th of the next season, which was Shearer's break-out season, he had reached 55 league goals, while Kane is currently on 93 league goals and is now in joint-286th on the all-time top-flight scorers list ever.

BUT......just to contextualise Kane v the all-time greatest......by the time Jimmy Greaves was 23, he had roughly 173 league goals! - (155 by the end of the 1962 season plus half of the 62/63 total).

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

I also see that if he scores a goal today he will be above Shearer in scoring the most goals in the Premiership in a calendar year. What it doesn't mention is that Shearer would have played 6 more games, due to having 22 teams in the division at that time, meaning more games. How many on here still think we would rather have Rashford to Kane.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I remember one Woodward interview where he said that we as a club will go for the absolute top players. Time to put money where his mouth his. Shouldn't hesitate to pay £150m-£175m for this guy. We would be on 50 points with him in the team. Fantastic player. Simply terrific. On par with Lewandowski as the top pure striker in the world.
Agreed on all points.
Though, given the cost, and given that we already have Lukaku, it is almost impossible that we will spend big on a striker.
Our transfer budget will be spent on other positions.
If we were going to spend money on Kane, it would've been last Summer, when we paid for Lukaku.

I also see that if he scores a goal today he will be above Shearer in scoring the most goals in the Premiership in a calendar year. What it doesn't mention is that Shearer would have played 6 more games, due to having 22 teams in the division at that time, meaning more games.
Kane is the real deal. No doubt about it.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If he scores today he will match Messi's 54 goals for club and country (excluding friendlies) in 2017, but have done it in 11 fewer games. If he scores twice he will finish as the outright top scorer across players in Europe's top leagues. He already has the best goals per game ratio among the top 5 players.

54 | Lionel Messi | (63 games, 0.84 goals per game)
53 | Harry Kane (51, 1.03)
53 | Robert Lewandowski (55, 0.96)
53 | Cristiano Ronaldo (59, 0.89)
53 | Edinson Cavani (62, 0.85)

beep

I also see that if he scores a goal today he will be above Shearer in scoring the most goals in the Premiership in a calendar year. What it doesn't mention is that Shearer would have played 6 more games, due to having 22 teams in the division at that time, meaning more games. How many on here still think we would rather have Rashford to Kane.
Rashford is only 20 and has 14 league goals. Kane, going on 20, had no goals.

I think Rashford could be one of our greats. The more pertinent comparison is Kane v Lukaku.

Art Vandelay

That was one of those one's where you simply knew the ball was going to end up on his head from watching the freekick build up. It just had that feel that it wasn't going to go anywhere but on Kane's head.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Phenomenal year for a phenomenal player.

FattyFooty

Rashford is only 20 and has 14 league goals. Kane, going on 20, had no goals.

I think Rashford could be one of our greats. The more pertinent comparison is Kane v Lukaku.
So you think Rash will start to average 26-27 goals a season for the next 4 years?

Or play as good as Kane?