Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

He looks a little awkward on the ball, but is actually really good at playing the ball out of defence. Apart from AWB, I think our backline actually do a good job at circulating the ball in most matches. The problem is when the midfield or AWB gets involved. Fred and McTominay do what they can, but I don't think they are good enough on the ball. They are both very one-footed and lack the calmness when pressured. In addition, I think we often lack movement on our wings and in attack.
I think you're both right and wrong here. Yes, he is good at playing the ball out of defence - as you say, his size makes him look a bit clumsy sometimes but his feet are actually very good. And yes, Lindelof is good at it too (and Shaw, obviously). But the problems we've had in recent matches playing it out aren't because Fred and McT aren't good enough on the ball. It's because their movement off it is not intelligent enough, so they take too long to get open when Maguire and Lindelof are looking for them. And Maguire and Lindelof, for their part, just do everything much too slowly and deliberately. It makes them far too easy to close down. They need to be more confident in their own ability and more the ball forward more decisively, and McT and Fred need to work on that Scholes thing of always being free for the ball.

GueRed

Our best centre back by far.

His haters are mainly know-nothings.

Others have just made up their mind from the beginning that he's rubbish/not good enough and wont see it any other way. You get those type. Carrick and Fletcher had those kind of critics as well.

Get over yourself.

Classical Mechanic

I think you're both right and wrong here. Yes, he is good at playing the ball out of defence - as you say, his size makes him look a bit clumsy sometimes but his feet are actually very good. And yes, Lindelof is good at it too (and Shaw, obviously). But the problems we've had in recent matches playing it out aren't because Fred and McT aren't good enough on the ball. It's because their movement off it is not intelligent enough, so they take too long to get open when Maguire and Lindelof are looking for them. And Maguire and Lindelof, for their part, just do everything much too slowly and deliberately. It makes them far too easy to close down. They need to be more confident in their own ability and more the ball forward more decisively, and McT and Fred need to work on that Scholes thing of always being free for the ball.
Or they are not being brave enough and making themselves available. It falls to Fred really because he's better on the half turn than McT.

Grande

The Maguire -Lindelof pair always get a lot of shite but they have been solid for some time now.

The season started badly for them with 5 goals conceded in 2 matches, but then there has been steady improvement.
After the first two poor games, they have conceded 15 goals in 19 PL matches together.

Now they have 7 clean sheets in their last 11 PL matches and it has been far better opposition than West Ham and Antonio. Clean sheets vs Liverpool, 2xCity, Chelsea and Arsenal.

No other teams have clean sheets vs City. We have managed that in both our matches against them.

If we can improve our defending of setpieces it will be very hard to score against us.
The first three games are little to take notice from. Maguire/Lindelöf were good last season, and has been generally good this season as well. I still feel like there is room for improvement, particularily on set pieces as you mention and against counters. For me, Maguire have had an up and down season compared to last year, but yesterday he was my MOTM. And that was against a good team playing for counters and set pieces with Antonio and Creaswell, so that was a very good experience. West Ham disappointed, but they didn’t disappoint in a vacuum, and for me, Harry was the biggest reason why.

romufc

Our best centre back by far.

His haters are mainly know-nothings.

Others have just made up their mind from the beginning that he's rubbish/not good enough and wont see it any other way. You get those type. Carrick and Fletcher had those kind of critics as well.

Get over yourself.
Yep agreed. There are some posters who think he is average when Maguire has been on of the best players for us this season.

Yes, he may not give us the best performances in every game but which CB doesn't make mistakes? He is hardly injured and plays 95% of our games.

People are putting in Pogba as one of the best players who's played like 50% of our games?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
For me the biggest positive with Maguire is that he is always fit & available. In a season where players are falling like flies it's nice to have a defender who plays every minute of every game

Roboc7

He’s playing very well at the moment, he’s also a better passer than both Fred and Mctominay, often takes responsibility playing passes for them. Lindelof was also very good tonight.

Brightonian

Huge today. Actually MotM for me despite the obvious Pogba heroics. These last three games (City, West Ham, Milan) have been Maguire-Lindelof's best ever consecutive three performances.

Eternitiy

Incredible form at the moment. Imperious on the ball, in the air, and in the tackle.

el3mel

He's in a fantastic form at the moment. Long may it continue. Very rock solid.

Brightonian

Standard Harry, we just manage to keep clean sheets and people take notice. Lindelof was also quality tonight.
Not really sure what you mean by this. Both played brilliantly, and both are getting lots of praise - especially Lindelof, actually.

Jetrooooo

Love the guy. If not for his performance than we finally have a CB who is available twice a week. If only he would be better at offensive headers.

NinjaFletch

He's been utterly fantastic since that England red card after a largely great first season. He's good on the ball, utterly dominant in the air and for all that's said about his pace I can remember very few instances he's been run past.

People need to get over themselves and give credit where it's due.

Kostov

Not really sure what you mean by this. Both played brilliantly, and both are getting lots of praise - especially Lindelof, actually.
I mean to say Harry has been top class the 95% of the time playing for this club, glad he is getting recognition. Regarding Lindelof, I am very harsh on him often, but he has been quality recently.

Cast5

Best centre half we’ve had post Fergie by an absolute mile. Dominant, never injured and never hides, fantastic player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He looks a lot more angry and pumped up in games lately. It may sounds cheesy, but I like this attitude from a CB, especially from the Captain.

GueRed

Standard.

He's been solid most of the season.

Good defender. Reliable. Good communicator.

But that's not enough for kids today. Not flashy (or saucey as the kids say today).

Good and Reliable = boring, shit and not good enough in their book.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm happy we bought him.

Harry has been made to look stupid recently by having to dictate play with a right fullback that's allergic to footballs and 2 midfielders in front of him that stand in the way and would rather not have the ball. You can see the frustration when he starts doing a random rush and ends up in the penalty area.

Quality defender and one of most aerially dominant CBs around. His class isn't debatable until someone brings up his price tag, which is the Caf's version of Godwin's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.