Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I didn’t think he was bad yesterday.
To be fair though he didn't do bad things but also didn't do good things either, Palace was aiming and bullying Lindelof's in that match all the time while Maguire didn't do much effective and just watching his partner getting bullied.

hmchan

Like I said in the previous thread, you can't say Maguire is directly at fault for the goals but you expect him to do more and better as a 80m defender and a captain.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Like I said in the previous thread, you can't say Maguire is directly at fault for the goals but you expect him to do more and better as a 80m defender and a captain.
He might run a bit faster to intercept a simple low cross that that should be easily clear out even by me, if Shaw didn't have a brainfart.

But how did he prevent the 2nd and 3rd goals?

Lyng

He gives the ball away and doesn’t support his team mates. Currently Smalling is better than both our cb’s. Maguire looks a massive Flop so far when you consider his price tag.

RC89

Their average is about the same, but Maguire's good games are significantly better. I guess the hope is that if he were part of a proper partnership he would feel more comfortable and we'd see the good matches more often.
Well, I hope for our sake that's true cuz there's no way we're getting two.

Robbie Boy

He's just not a top level CB. Some have convinced themselves that he's a top player but he's far from it. We massively over payed for him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Our whole defence stank the place out yesterday and Harry was as bad as those around him. Our worst ever signing (high price v useless player) by a huge distance. Pogba signing took some beating but we managed it within 3 years.

criticalanalysis

As Utd captain and leader of the defence, I thought he was poor and really passive. It seems either Ole didn't get him/the team fired up for this or his mind is somewhere else.

In terms of individual performance he was below average. It's funny because Lindelof got a taste of his own medicne playing with a passive placeholder centre back. This time however, Linderlof got absolutely brutalised because he shat his pants on almost every 1-on-1 duel as he didn't get the usual massive protection from AWB/Maguire.

I'm not going to defend his performance but out of the entire back 5, Maguire is far from the problem. Actually let me just say it again, Lindelof the coward is the glaring weak link.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
As Utd captain and leader of the defence, I thought he was poor and really passive. It seems either Ole didn't get him/the team fired up for this or his mind is somewhere else.

In terms of individual performance he was below average. It's funny because Lindelof got a taste of his own medicne playing with a passive placeholder centre back. This time however, Linderlof got absolutely brutalised because he shat his pants on almost every 1-on-1 duel as he didn't get the usual massive protection from AWB/Maguire.

I'm not going to defend his performance but out of the entire back 5, Maguire is far from the problem. Actually let me just say it again, Lindelof the coward is the glaring weak link.
That vacant look on his face is just overall denseness.

Lee1001

Ball playing / police punching defender.

His value has depreciated quicker than a manual diesel. If he was a new car the balloon payment would be life changing.

HowYouDoin

We spent 80 million on this guy and I just think he is much better than he's been showing, there's a quality player in there but perhaps he just needs to have a quicker CB next to him.
Play Baily, Smalling or Mengi, try to get more out of Maguire. We cant just write him off, our defense was solid last year and who knows maybe it can be elite but clearly Lindelof is the one that needs to be replaced.

I still think Maguire is quality. Perhaps not an 80 million player but 60 million? I can see that. He will be around for a while, we need to get the best out of him.
First thing lets replace Lindelof. That partnership is clearly bad. Baily, Smalling and Mengi all complement Maguire better

Stacks

He is not rubbish. He is not shit, he is just not a top top commanding defender that you feel 1 million percent confident in. It was like when City bought Lescott for all that money. Lescott is a good defender but it wasn't until Kompany came through that they had a scary defence that made opposisiont strikers afraid. Kompany was able to partner with anyone and make a title challenge because he was truly dominant. He even won premier league player of the season like Van Dijk. Guys like Rio could form title challenging centre back partnerships with the likes of Brown or Sylveste because he was that good. Harry is synonymous of the drop off in quality of English CB's in recent generations.

Hes not bad though.

He manages to escape a lot of criticism somehow. He has a knack of always being somewhere other than the danger, so it makes it look like he has his area well covered and others are at fault. Sometimes that is true but sometimes he just misses things. He also takes far too long to decide what to do with the ball, despite being good on it.

Still, for all those faults, we are a much better unit with him there. The rest of the defence follow his lead and it makes us so much more composed at the back than we were a couple of years ago. He needs a young, aggressive CB next to him now.

tomaldinho1

We've just bought poorly for years now. Maguire is a solid 7/10 CB but he lacks the most important asset for the modern day PL which is pace. If you find an average CB who has pace, they can at the very least cover their CB partners. By also playing Lindelof who is equally slow and even weaker physically we just shoot ourselves in the foot. The knock on effect of the CB partnership is that Shaw/AWB always have to have half a mind on covering their CB and have clearly been told not to bomb past their wide forwards except in rare cases.

The are so many dimwit pundits who were saying United need a 'dominant' centre half and, lo and behold, it's not just about being good at headers, showing passion and tackling. So many people who played football in a different era can't seem to see/accept just how different football is now. You have to have pace as a PL defender these days unless you want to sit really deep, which Ole doesn't. We have signed players based on their reputation, not how they fit into a specific style of play and we will forever be behind, no matter how much we spend, unless this changes.

Clermontois

Supports
France
At his best he is nothing more than a 6/10 CB and I would say Lindelof is better than him except in the heading department. For some reason though the media aren't always on about his price tag like others.

Vaibhav Raj

Genuinely curious about what stuff he did wrong vs Crystal Palace to be getting thrashed all around the way he is. The three goals conceded were just downright Lindelof's fault. Maybe Luke Shaw had some covering to do for the first goal. I don't think he could have done anything to stop the rest two. Or could he? Enlighten me, someone.

Vaibhav Raj

At his best he is nothing more than a 6/10 CB and I would say Lindelof is better than him except in the heading department. For some reason though the media aren't always on about his price tag like others.
But how and based on what? The defender you claim is better than him has cost us many games now and everyone acknowledges it whereas Maguire has fewer big time howlers to his name. I'm not trying to refute your opinion here but rather understand what makes you think so.

Reds fever

But how and based on what? The defender you claim is better than him has cost us many games now and everyone acknowledges it whereas Maguire has fewer big time howlers to his name. I'm not trying to refute your opinion here but rather understahen Maguire make mistake
When Maguire makes mistakes it is because of Lindelof is not fast enough and he has to cover an 80M defender but Lindelof doesn't get the same treatement. It is always Lindelof has to cover Maguire and not vice versa.

I know Lindelof was shit against Crystal Palace but he is the superior defender out of the two, Heading is the only aspect which Maguire is far superior.

Stacks

Genuinely curious about what stuff he did wrong vs Crystal Palace to be getting thrashed all around the way he is. The three goals conceded were just downright Lindelof's fault. Maybe Luke Shaw had some covering to do for the first goal. I don't think he could have done anything to stop the rest two. Or could he? Enlighten me, someone.
I think the consensus is that the CB's don't really cover each other. Back when I played CB, if my partner made a mistake I would be there to clean it up (yes I know it was a lower level). CB's shouldn't be so far apart, or should have the anticipation, reaction or pace to support their partner. It shouldn't be one mistake or beaten man and GOAL. last seasons goal vs Palace where Lindelof was out jumped for a header then the guy was clean through was nuts. If your teammate goes for a header, the other cb should come in behind in case he misses. That's what I learned anyway but we were only semi pro so maybe at senior level you leave your partner to succeed or die.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The 3 goals probably wasn't his fault, except the first goal where he is slow to react/cover.
But he did made some careless pass straight to opponents feet which immediately end up as counter attack move from the opponents, for at least couple of times. He is too slow to chase it back too.

Untd55

Worse than Smalling. Smalling equals him in every defensive aspect, but he also has pace. We spent £80m on a defender who is actually worse than Smalling. The pace issue is massive; he couldn't deal with the Crystal Palace players at all when they ran at him because he is too slow.

It showed last season, as well: run at him and he will crap his pants and be left for dead. Unfortunately, he is another player we are going to be stuck with for a very long time.

Luton Town 0:3 Man Utd

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's so infuriating on attacking set pieces. You're built like a fecking tank, why not attack the ball with some menace?!

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Stop saying this, it's objectively incorrect in every way.

Devil may care

El Fridgerinho is certainly able to defrost better when he's got some speed and mobility next to him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Had his customary one crap attacking header from our corner per game. So at least that hasn't changed.

Craig Ward

Yes it was "only" Luton but apart from minutes in the tank I'm not getting Maguire at all lately.

He was quiet, passing was basic, he looked slow, sloppy, casual and lazy. No intent in his play and he cannot attack a corner to save his life.

It's almost as if his only positive right now is being vocally present. Right now, he will cost us against better teams unless he improves sharpish

Renegade

Does he have something in his contract saying he has to play every game?

Enfant terrible

VVD would look like a schoolgirl if he played for us and Harry would look worldclass if he was in pool. I would really like for someone to elaborate what are the things that make VVD better than Harry except scoring from corner's.

Those two have totally different roles, playing in a totally different environment.VVD has brain farts more often than Harry. VVD has Hendo in front of him, Fabinho, Trent and Robertson beside him, and Becker behind him. He has to concentrate on 30m2 of space and yet he makes bigger mistakes.

Harry can somewhat rely only on Matic (if he's playing) and on AWB (if he is playing). He lives in constant pressure of Lindelof's mistakes, DDG blunders, Pogba's lost balls in critical places, and doesn't have wingbacks who penetrate on the flanks to find them with long balls. Shaw is more often injured than not and Williams is too naive sometimes.

I hope we play more of Bailly - Harry. I hope Bailly stays fit.

jesperjaap

Obviously his head probably isnt right at the moment, but nobody can say he as been ok the opening two games, he has been an utter shambles. Overall last season I thought he did ok, I do think he can do better....but a lot better, I am not so sure

I can see why we went for Maguire, but thought not a great move at the time. This sounds worse than I mean it, but to me he has always been a fantastic championship style defender that has the added ability of being decent on the ball. For me he isnt a leader or captain, never has been, he isnt going to organise the defence, bark at players and grab them by the coat tails like greta captains we have had in the past, he seems better at leading off the pitch....that isnt a captain. Thee fee is someting we should have walked away from, I can see why Leicester wouldnt budge but for that fee you expect a world class centre back. He isnt world class as a captain, he isnt quick enough pace or turning wise, he doesnt read the game brilliantly, he is good on the ball but not excellent. He is world class in terms of strength and aerially.....again, a fantastic championship style defender.

Saying all that, I do think he can be despite an atrociously high fee a very good defender for us....but not the leader more the Vidic to a RIo, Bruce to a Pallister, JOhnsen to a STam. Lindelof is never ever the right partner for him. This is why I am absolutely bewildered we are concentrating on signing a left back over a centre back. For me, even with Sancho and a left back....no centre back this window, bar Mengi/Tuanzabe or Bailly stepping up big time, no top four

jesperjaap

VVD would look like a schoolgirl if he played for us and Harry would look worldclass if he was in pool. I would really like for someone to elaborate what are the things that make VVD better than Harry except scoring from corner's.

Those two have totally different roles, playing in a totally different environment.VVD has brain farts more often than Harry. VVD has Hendo in front of him, Fabinho, Trent and Robertson beside him, and Becker behind him. He has to concentrate on 30m2 of space and yet he makes bigger mistakes.

Harry can somewhat rely only on Matic (if he's playing) and on AWB (if he is playing). He lives in constant pressure of Lindelof's mistakes, DDG blunders, Pogba's lost balls in critical places, and doesn't have wingbacks who penetrate on the flanks to find them with long balls. Shaw is more often injured than not and Williams is too naive sometimes.

Though I would agree that VVD wouldnt be as good here and Maguire would be better at Pool....hardly rocket science when one team hasnt lost many games in Europe or
Not true at all. We got royally mugged into purchasing Maguire, he really isn't that good at his job at all.
To be fair, when Liverpool purchased VVD his fee was ridiculed more than Maguires for us. I personally thought he was a good centre back, but not a great one and they had massively over paid for him, much like I did when we bought Maguire. So there is truth in VVD wouldnt be as good for us and vice versa.....but of coruse currently they have a far better and more organised team than us from front to back defensively so the point is an obvious one the poster made.

However I disagree with him on the brain farts they have only occured recently and he obviously is a more cultured defender than Maguire

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
But how and based on what? The defender you claim is better than him has cost us many games now and everyone acknowledges it whereas Maguire has fewer big time howlers to his name. I'm not trying to refute your opinion here but rather understand what makes you think so.
The 3 goals were Lindelof's fault because his defensive partner hung him out to dry on 2 of them, the handball was harsh. It's easy not not to make howlers when you are nowhere near the action. He doesn't seem to have any idea where he is supposed to position himself, that's why he never seems to be anywhere near the action. Looks clueless most of the time, when the other team are attacking the box, so leaves the defending to his partner.

I maintain that he's not actually a defender at all. He would make a much better DM, he can carry the ball forward and (sometimes) make a decisive pass to a forward player and he can sometimes block a ball before the attacker goes past him, so, if there was an actual defender behind him, he can provide some sort of cover.

Most of the time, he stands around looking dense.

kiristao

If Maquire will be better at Pool and VVD will be worse at United is debatable.
As far as the reasons why VVD is better that Maquire goes, here is my list
1. Faster than Maguire
2. More dominant and aggressive in both penalty boxes
3. Better 1v1 defender
4. Makes players around him better. For eg Lovren last season

Status
Not open for further replies.