Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

Yep, I agree with all this. Maybe the concerns of Varane's ability to stay fit mean two Lindelof-quality backup CB's would be needed.
The ideal solution would be to exchange Maguire for a new starting RB who's also comfortable playing at CB. Someone like Timber, or Benjamin Pavard.

redshaw

Makes sense for him to go and be a starter to keep Southgate happy and for United to sell. I just don't see a future at United when Harry is 30-32. I feel he's on a downward trajectory and just about had enough to survive while 27-28, that and the different style of football.

A tricky situation with the World Cup coming up as I can see him not playing much but I'm doubtful we can depend on Varane. I'd also like to see Martinez and Lindelof, I think they can be a better pair and Harry/Martinez.

I wouldn't want to harm Harry's England chances, it's not gone well for him at United sadly and oddly become quite toxic even though he seems a decent guy and is rarely injured. Huge price tags can lead to a lot of derision through expectation like with Pogba.

Last edited:

kps88

I think we could cope with Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Jones and Mengi as our backup centrebacks.
That would be madness. Starting next week, we play every three days or so until the WC. We would need to cover for rotation/fatigue as well as injuries. The drop in quality from LIndelof to the other three is way too big.

MrSingh2002

If Chelsea don't want to pay a huge amount for Fofana, why don't we offload Maguire for say £40m and go and get Manuel Akanji from Dortmund who is a Man United fan, expressed he wants to play for the club in the past, and is available for peanuts and might be happy being backup for Martinez and Varane with Lindelof.

Why isn't it that easy if we didn't care about the bad PR of selling Maguire.

MrSingh2002

https://sempreinter.com/2022/08/24/...ave-on-loan-this-summer-italian-media-report/

Go get Akanji the United supporter and offload Maguire to Chelsea for whatever we can get.

He's going into the last year of his contract and I bet Inter will sign him and then we'd want him after a season again.

Replace Bailly, Jones and Maguire with him and we're set with 4 decent centrebacks in Martinez, Varane, Akanji and Lindelof.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
A loan would make zero sense for us.

As I see it there are two options:

A) He stays and accepts to be a rotation options, which I highly doubt he would.
B) He wants to play every week and pushes for a move. If Chelsea sign Fofana for 80 million, I could see Leicester going in for Maguire for 45 / 50, in which case I think we would sell.
Leicester have FFP problems at the moment & have to move players to free up payroll. Maguire is a bigger payroll hit than Fofana so that makes it difficult.

Marcus

If he is ok not being a starter and captain, I don't mind having him on the bench.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Makes sense for him to go and be a starter to keep Southgate happy and for United to sell. I just don't see a future at United when Harry is 30-32. I feel he's on a downward trajectory and just about had enough to survive while 27-28, that and the different style of football.

A tricky situation with the World Cup coming up as I can see him not playing much but I'm doubtful we can depend on Varane. I'd also like to see Martinez and Lindelof, I think they can be a better pair and Harry/Martinez.

I wouldn't want to harm Harry's England chances, it's not gone well for him at United sadly and oddly become quite toxic even though he seems a decent guy and is rarely injured. Huge price tags can lead to a lot of derision through expectation like with Pogba.
Agree. The next game against Soton will be the indicator/tipping point for Macguire.

If he doesn't get selected and start, if I was him, I would be asking for a move in the very last week of this window. He cant wait till January when its too late for this WC.

Lyng

Leicester have FFP problems at the moment & have to move players to free up payroll. Maguire is a bigger payroll hit than Fofana so that makes it difficult.
Makes sense. Well I guess we have to hope Leicester stay firm on Fofana

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How the feck Leicester having problems with FFP? They were not big spenders all these years.

Lee565

It's not all bad, he stays at the club behind a fit varane and martinez, he has a good winter world cup and his stock will be high for the January transfer window

aganley

That's a shame.
Maguire PR team are really good at their job, for anyone to actually believe this rubbish. But it's the same with all the British players, there so hard done by. I know what we should do, because Chelsea wanted maguire why don't we ignore the last 2 seasons and play him in ever game.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What's the likelihood Leicester come knocking?

If Maguire isn't first choice anymore, he won't be going to the WC and if he moves, he needs to go somewhere he'll settle fast in the area and knows the system, nowhere better than Leicester.
We can live in hope! Though it seems Leicester’s transfers generally seem well done (buy low, sell high).

Lyng

What's the likelihood Leicester come knocking?

If Maguire isn't first choice anymore, he won't be going to the WC and if he moves, he needs to go somewhere he'll settle fast in the area and knows the system, nowhere better than Leicester.
Apparently due to FFP concerns they can't afford his wages sadly

Ted Lasso

£34.4 mill on transfer market, sadly about right.
Could go on to have a great world cup and double that. Issue is, would United sell him at that point. Doesn't seem like he fits even if he's a good defender on his day. So would be good to move him on ar that point to Newcastle is my guess

Status
Not open for further replies.