Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Hasn’t got the pace nor ability to play in the system, and if that’s the case he should be moved on. ETH expects us to be dominating the ball and not being bombarded by set pieces and crosses, which is where Maguire is strongest. Varane/Lindelof/Bailly/Martinez is good enough for this year, especially with an actual midfielder (Casemiro) protecting them.

Could be his agent trying to force a move if he’s been told he is not first choice. He’ll want to be playing for England in a few months and if he isn’t playing there is a chance he’s dropped.

I’d like this to be true, but let’s see what other journalists have to say today.

Skills

Snitch
Would actually make sense but I'd rather we take the cash than Pulisic

Trex

Yes we should take the risk. Maguire is 29 already and on 190k p.w, so it should be no brainer that we should cash in if the offer comes and allows us to move on from him being permanent captain.
That's a lot of CBs. What are you risking? That 3 are injured at the same time? And we still have Jones. So technically we would need 4 injured in order for us to really be in trouble.
Maguire isn't going anywhere anytime soon, hope he has a good season or some other duo, but leaving he isn't.

suhaylah

He's invented the no look defending. That alone is worth the 80 million we paid for him

Name Changed

weso26
We cannot play an ETH system with Maguire in the team, it's as simple as that. If the opportunity arises to sell him, I think it's a no brainer. He has been a complete flop.

Joseunited

We cannot play an ETH system with Maguire in the team, it's as simple as that. If the opportunity arises to sell him, I think it's a no brainer. He has been a complete flop.
A complete no brainer, I just can't believe that Tuchel would go anywhere Maguire, unfortunately.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire isn't going anywhere anytime soon, hope he has a good season or some other duo, but leaving he isn't.
So if the offer comes, the right thing to do is not taking the risk to sell him?

spiriticon

He probably isn't going, but that is the difference between us and 14 time CL winners Real Madrid.

Real will take risks like selling their established DM at his prime, and here we are clinging to Maguire because we are worried about injuries to our backup CBs.

We buy a CB every year at United, lads. In 3 years, we'll be able to field 10 CBs outfield. Maguire can be replaced.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Selling him and rashford would be better than signing mbappe!

TsuWave

Maguire has been made to look far worse than he actually is.
No, he hasn't.

Turning slower than the titanic, and just being slow overall, horrible positioning, not knowing how to impose his size, missing every header in the opposition's box, comical passing despite often being labelled as a "ball playing CB", ball hogging, poor leadership/being uninspiring etc are all on him.

Shite player. Chelsea taking him would be a coup for us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm sure I was told om here that no other PL team would go near him. But here we are with a team better than us looking to sign him. Odd.

Trex

So if the offer comes, the right thing to do is not taking the risk to sell him?
You don't solve one problem by creating another, selling Maguire creates a problem in defense. Varane hasn't been reliable, Bailly is on his way out, Lindelof and Martinez pairing would take some aerial bombardment if they're ever paired together. Jones is bearly a footballer this days, he even missed preseason and no one even bothered to ask why, we already have multiple positions to sort out.

acid_fuji

Selling him to Chelsea would be like sending them trojan horse. In what world they would really do this?

OneReligion

You don't solve one problem by creating another, selling Maguire creates a problem in defense. Varane hasn't been reliable, Bailly is on his way out, Lindelof and Martinez pairing would take some aerial bombardment if they're ever paired together. Jones is bearly a footballer this days, he even missed preseason and no one even bothered to ask why, we already have multiple positions to sort out.
why?

theyneverlearn

I'm sure I was told om here that no other PL team would go near him. But here we are with a team better than us looking to sign him. Odd.
A team that plays to his strengths, 3 at the back is where he looks best, he just doesn’t fit in a high intensity, high line, possession based system.

Kag

Yes, let’s sell the only central defender at the club who can stay fit. I know some of you hate the bloke, but catch on for feck sake.

theyneverlearn

Yes, let’s sell the only central defender at the club who can stay fit. I know some of you hate the bloke, but catch on for feck sake.
Read back that sentence and think to yourself, if that is his only redeeming feature, do you think he should be starting and captaining Manchester United?

If Chelsea are serious then we should be serious in moving him on. He is the opposite of what ETH requires in the system.

spiriticon

Fitness does not override crapness. Same idea goes for McT and we are replacing him.

Kostov

Tuchel made Rudiger look a top CB, Maguire will do well for them imo, however we will be even worse at CB than. Lindelof, Varane, Martinez, Bailly looks absolute disaster.

iato89

He is not suitable to the style ETH wants to play

Drizzle

A team that plays to his strengths, 3 at the back is where he looks best, he just doesn’t fit in a high intensity, high line, possession based system.
Not with De Gea behind him and McFred in front of him, true. With the right players there he'll look good though.

There are loads of good centre backs that aren't super quick and agile, but they still look good because they aren't constantly exposed by the deficiencies of their teammates.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
With Maguire we are still conceded lot of goals, without Maguire we might still conceded lot of goals. What's the difference? Selling Maguire doesn't both create and solve the problem. I would rather sell the 29 years old players who are not good enough to get some of the selling value rather than being stuck in here forever like Pogba or Matic and leave for free just because we want to keep the player for more ''bodies''. Quality over quantity.

If the offer comes, we should move on from 29 years old CB with 190k p.w and stuck one season with Varane, Lisandro, Lindelof, and Tuanzebe/Bailly as options is the right thing to do imo.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not with De Gea behind him and McFred in front of him, true. With the right players there he'll look good though.

There are loads of good centre backs that aren't super quick and agile, but they still look good because they aren't constantly exposed by the deficiencies of their teammates.
Maguire lacks defensive awareness. He's not a very good CB.

Trex

Who knows
With Maguire we are still conceded lot of goals, without Maguire we might still conceded lot of goals. What's the difference? Selling Maguire doesn't both create and solve the problem. I would rather sell the 29 years old players who are not good enough to get some of the selling value rather than being stuck in here forever like Pogba or Matic and leave for free just because we want to keep the player for more ''bodies''. Quality over quantity.
You think Pulisic is good enough, Chelsea has an underperforming attack and he can't get in plus he's injury prone plus he was Sancho back up at Dortmund, isn't that just another body as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No wonder a club intending on winning things wants him.

First Pep. Now Chelsea.

We're fine with being a retirement home so Chelsea would clearly be the best move for him. Especially as ten Hag clearly isn't good enough so we're going to be wasting a few more years whilst Chelsea compete.

devilish

I disagree. We shouldn't keep him because he's an extra body especially considering his age and the fact that he's not very good. However I do agree that if he leaves then we should replace him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who knows

You think Pulisic is good enough, Chelsea has an underperforming attack and he can't get in plus he's injury prone plus he was Sancho back up at Dortmund, isn't that just another body as well.
In business point of view, Pulisic is still 23 years old, at that age, he has selling value in the future. Contrary to Maguire who is 29 years old.

In football point of view, conceded lot of goals with Maguire is no difference with conceded lot of goals without Maguire. While there is difference quality in Pulisic and Elanga.

devilish

No wonder a club intending on winning things wants him.

First Pep. Now Chelsea.

We're fine with being a retirement home so Chelsea would clearly be the best move for him. Especially as ten Hag clearly isn't good enough so we're going to be wasting a few more years whilst Chelsea compete.
And what exactly had Maguire won in his career? The guy got more clubs relegated than Cruyff won balon d'ors. You do notice that Chelsea are desperate to add a CB and currently lack a DOF with brains don't you? Lets hurry up before they get smarter.

Yagami

Good post resistant
And what exactly had Maguire won in his career? The guy got more clubs relegated than Cruyff won balon d'ors. You do notice that Chelsea are desperate to add a CB and currently lack a DOF with brains don't you? Lets hurry up before they get smarter.
I don't give a shit about how much he's won.

He was one of the best players at the Euros and was let down by clowns. He was our best player in that season we made it to the Europa final and was again let down by clowns

Pep and Tuchel are two of the best managers in the world. They both rate Maguire. I'm not shocked because he's good and will win stuff there whilst we repaint our retirement home for the new folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.