Harry Maguire

AriKra

We should go for him in the summer. Far better than our current cb

Last edited by a moderator:

automaticflare

Gimenez from atletico, I think he is younger, better and cheaper.

Other options would be Marquinhos from PSG, Rugani from Juve, Romagnoli from Milan, Akanji from Dortmund, Pavard from Stuttgart...

All of them I think would come cheaper, players in premier league have become way to expensive due to tv contracts, but theres cheaper talent aboard.

If we were talking about bringing a top CB I would say go for it, pay the 60 millions. But in my opinion, Maguire is not and will never be.
The risk is none of them have played in the premier league. Look how long it is taking lindelof to adapt

Not sure I think maguire is the answer for us either btw

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In a 4 man defence think he would get exposed too much at top level and I'm a big fan of him.

Needs to go to a club where they play 3-5-2 regularly which atm none of the top clubs do consistantly. Chelsea under Conte would've been ideal.

It actually surprises me Leicester don't actually do that as their full backs (Ricardo and Chillwell) can get up and down no problem.

lsd

The Oracle
We should go for him in the summer. Far better than our current cb

Which means absolutely nothing as he is very average and that's better than what we have at the moment bar Lindelof.

Instead of sending crazy money on someone average we could always spend crazy money on someone great .

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
In a 4 man defence think he would get exposed too much at top level and I'm a big fan of him.

Needs to go to a club where they play 3-5-2 regularly which atm none of the top clubs do consistantly. Chelsea under Conte would've been ideal.

It actually surprises me Leicester don't actually do that as their full backs (Ricardo and Chillwell) can get up and down no problem.
Bring back Barnes from WBA and sign a top striker.....well that team would be very sexy :drool:

--------------------------Schmeichel

----------Söyüncü----------Evans---------Maguire

Pereira----------------------Ndidi---------------------Chilwell

-------------------Maddison--------Barnes

--------------------Vardy---------New striker

binary bot
For the past five years we've been signing players with the justification that they're better than what we've got. He's a good defender that would improve us. But for the money touted I'd expect someone three years younger or a better overall player.

We're doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past five years in the rush to fix the current issues.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Bring back Barnes from WBA and sign a top striker.....well that team would be very sexy :drool:

--------------------------Schmeichel

----------Söyüncü----------Evans---------Maguire

Pereira----------------------Ndidi---------------------Chilwell

-------------------Maddison--------Barnes

--------------------Vardy---------New striker
That team and it’s 1 man midfield would get destroyed

dove

I cannot believe some of you think he is worth or would cost £50-60m.

You are stuck in 2015.

Market rate for a quality young CB, let alone Prem proven/English, is £75m.

He would be worth that fee easily IMO.
“Worth”. He is barely an upgrade on Jones, if at all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah Ndidi would have a lot of work to do in that system! Guy is decent but he's no Kante.:lol:

Was thinking more just have Maddison playing off Vardy as he does now in the 3-5-2. I am surprised Wes Morgan is still a regular for them as guy was getting sent off every other week earlier this season and is really old, though Johnny Evans would be automatic starter. He played well at Everton on Tuesday.

Negan

For 30m, I’d have him. Anything above that is crazy money.

As others have said, he’s not THAT big of an upgrade on Jones/Smalling. He’s better but not margainly better like Alderweireld and Koulibaly are.

shabz

He is better than Smalling/Jones/Rojo/Bailly IMO, and that is while playing for Leicester. I think he would improve coming to us by playing in a better team, he could also help/improve our defenders and organisation with his leadership at the back. However, anything more than 40-50 million would be crazy.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
They still think it’s the era where clubs like Leicester have to sell, we don’t
Leicester played hardball with Mahrez when Man City came calling & are financially able to hold out with Maguire as well. Having said that, I think that Maguire is worth 70 in the current market and I for one would be sad to see him go even for 70.

UDontMessWith24

Have to is strong but the food chain is what it is. Similarly if a United (or any big 6 team) player wants Real or Barca it’s inevitable providing Real learned how to operate a fax machine.

Ekeke

I cannot believe some of you think he is worth or would cost £50-60m.

You are stuck in 2015.

Market rate for a quality young CB, let alone Prem proven/English, is £75m.

He would be worth that fee easily IMO.
:houllier: Because 1 CB who many argue is the best CB in the world cost that, every good CB must cost that.

I guess every striker is worth the same money as Ronaldo.

RedCurry

:houllier: Because 1 CB who many argue is the best CB in the world cost that, every good CB must cost that.

When Liverpool spent that much on VVD he wasn’t regarded as one of the best in the world. Good for them for identifying his qualities.

RedCurry

Yes clearly he was. Thats why they paid the world record fee for a CB.
What logic is that? If we paid 300 million for cleverley, it doesn’t make him the best player in the world. VVD was a decent premier league defender on his way up. He has gone a whole new level since joining Liverpool. If he was best in the world at Southampton, there would be much more competition for his signature.

Ekeke

What logic is that? If we paid 300 million for cleverley, it doesn’t make him the best player in the world. VVD was a decent premier league defender on his way up. He has gone a whole new level since joining Liverpool. If he was best in the world at Southampton, there would be much more competition for his signature.
It would mean we believe he can become the best player in the world, else we wouldnt have paid the world record fee. You dont buy a 2nd grade player for a 1st grade player price.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I agree the landscape has changed. Clubs in the PL get a lot of money these days from tv rights. Sure mismanaged clubs in the lower leagues may need to sell. Aston Villa looked in pretty dire straights until a backer came in.

But for the most part clubs will hang onto their players unless the player himself agitates for a move.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I'm glad Leicester feel he's worth £75m, they can happily have him.

Imagine forking out that amount for this slabhead :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

A logical fallacy! Very few argued VvD was the best in the world when Liverpoo bought him. In fact, he was older tan Maguire, had fewer caps (for a poor NT), barely had 70 games on the highest level and recenty came back from an ugly injury. What would the best CB in the world cost? Well, I’m pretty sure Liverpool or Real would expect more than £75 mill for VvD or Varane. Napoli would want far more for Kouibaly who is a few years older.

I would not be surprised to see Maguire leave for between 60-75 mill.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Maguire is like the Lukaku signing. Good enough for 70% of the matches you'll play, but found wanting at the highest level.

Suedesi

So many people saying he’s overrated, when the reality is he’s a class act. I can understand why people think he’s immobile because he’s huge, but the fact is that has never really been an issue for him. He would easily be the best CB in our squad and I think he would form a formidable partnership alongside Lindelöf.

Get the impression that a lot of posters hated England’s World Cup run and cant wait to downplay any of the main players in that team.

Suedesi

Gimenez from atletico, I think he is younger, better and cheaper.

Other options would be Marquinhos from PSG, Rugani from Juve, Romagnoli from Milan, Akanji from Dortmund, Pavard from Stuttgart...

All of them I think would come cheaper, players in premier league have become way to expensive due to tv contracts, but theres cheaper talent aboard.

If we were talking about bringing a top CB I would say go for it, pay the 60 millions. But in my opinion, Maguire is not and will never be.
Not to mention plenty of players in La Liga with set buyouts and low wages. Barca for example picked up Lenglet for 40m Euros this summer, he's 23 and he's slot in pretty well.

PS Wasn't fecking Mourinho waxing lyrical about Sevilla after they knocked us out, why the feck didn't he pick up a few of their players if they're so good?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
A glorified Phil Jones, good defender with a mistake in him.

When Jones leaves for a mid table club people will start raving about him again, similar to Evans at WBA.

Toad

For 30m, I’d have him. Anything above that is crazy money.

As others have said, he’s not THAT big of an upgrade on Jones/Smalling. He’s better but not margainly better like Alderweireld and Koulibaly are.
Why would you take him for when £30m if he isn’t that big of an upgrade? We need major upgrades at the moment, not more Phils fecking it up for us.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
people think he’s immobile because he’s huge, but the fact is that has never really been an issue for him.
Aside from numerous times when he was exposed to quick and nimble players last season? Haven’t watched much of Leicester in this one.

Negan

Anything about 30m isn't crazy money, it's realistic money, for it is 2019 and not 2014.
You could still sign someone more talented, if not just as good for 30m.

How much is Lascelles worth? Tarkowski? Ake? All of those have more potential than Maguire imo.

Johan07

Yes clearly he was. Thats why they paid the world record fee for a CB.
No, it was because he had just signed a long-term contract with Southampton and they stood their ground. Still a good deal in retrospect.

Judas

Open to offers

How much is Lascelles worth? Tarkowski? Ake? All of those have more potential than Maguire imo.
Apart from Lascelles, those two aren't being sold for 30m. Teams don't need to sell for that sort of money anymore if they don't want to.

Ekeke

No, it was because he had just signed a long-term contract with Southampton and they stood their ground. Still a good deal in retrospect.
No, they paid it because they thought he could be the best.

You don't pay such a huge fee if you dont believe the player can be worth it.

Kag

Lascelles is dreadful. Presently the fourth best centre half at Newcastle.

Kag

These mistakes are magnified when at United. Forgotten about at Leicester. Maguire is a good defender, but he still makes mistakes. Like pretty much every other centre half. If Jones does that here he gets slaughtered.

Negan

Lascelles is dreadful. Presently the fourth best centre half at Newcastle.
People said that about Stones when he was Everton too. Lascelles has the potential to be the best English CB of this era.