Harry Maguire

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
World class? Really?
*Looked* world class, haha. He’s taken leadership in that defence, comes out with the ball. He’s calm under pressure, passes it around when other would hoof it away. He commands the area and is dangerous at set plays. He’s been very, very good. I would love him at United based on this world cup showing. The experience and confidence in his ability to stand shoulder to shoulder with the best on the international stage will do him wonders as well. Deserves a bigger stage then Leicester i think.

Dolf

Looked completely in control. If Ramos performs like this we all call him world class.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Strange comment that. Do you have a guide dog and white stick?
No I base it on the goal he kept onside v Panama, the header he missed today and the two chances he gave to Tunisia in our first game.

He’s got a big fat head and sometimes
Runs out of defence. He’s fecking a worry st the back though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A really good game from him. Good strong lad with nice passing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Been a favourite of mine for a while, pleased he's getting praised from the wider world now.

Just love the way he plays, it's very un-English at CB isn't it? If he was Spanish or Italian people would be slapping in 100m bids for him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Been a favourite of mine for a while, pleased he's getting praised from the wider world now.

Just love the way he plays, it's very un-English at CB isn't it? If he was Spanish or Italian people would be slapping in 100m bids for him.
Why you say that? Because he plays out from the back?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Got weirdly criticized after tunisia where I thought he was terrific and all in all is having a great tournament. Best of the three CBs by a mile.

Jordan_mufc

Without him we would have lost that game for sure. Stones and Walker looked shaky and error-prone.

Maguire was the only calming figure at the back. Also a colossus in the air. Top game from him

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why you say that? Because he plays out from the back?
It's just perception. Most English CBs are pretty mediocre playing out from the back, Rio was best at it but Carragher, John Terry, Sol Campbell, King not so much despite being excellent defenders.

There's always a cry in English media of why can't England produce defenders who can glide with the ball like a Varane or Laporte.

I prefer Maguire to Stones who can get very careless at times and make a stupid pass.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's just perception. Most English CBs are pretty mediocre playing out from the back, Rio was best at it but Carragher, John Terry, Sol Campbell, King not so much despite being excellent defenders.

There's always a cry in English media of why can't England produce defenders who can glide with the ball like a Varane or Laporte.

I prefer Maguire to Stones who can get very careless at times and make a stupid pass.
Come on you just need to see Stones and Maguire to know that isn't the case anymore. Actually here in Portugal we have a big problem regarding developing ball playing center backs.

El Jefe

Sign him up I'd say.

English, great at bringing the ball out from the back, a leader, plays on the left side of defence and an absolute beast in the air.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Come on you just need to see Stones and Maguire to know that isn't the case anymore. Actually here in Portugal we have a big problem regarding developing ball playing center backs.
True but even before tournament Maguire didn't have a huge profile here due to him being at Hull and Leicester in last few years so quite happy the wider public are discovering him now and he's becoming a hipster favourite.

Think he'd do well abroad if no English CL club comes in for him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
True but even before tournament Maguire didn't have a huge profile here due to him being at Hull and Leicester in last few years so quite happy the wider public are discovering him now and he's becoming a hipster favourite.

Think he'd do well abroad if no English CL club comes in for him.
I started watching him at Hull when Marco Silva was there, clearly above the others. I think Leicester is a good club, they probably pay him well, but he certainly can play at a higher level. Smells a type of Arsenal or Spurs type of player.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I started watching him at Hull when Marco Silva was there, clearly above the others. I think Leicester is a good club, they probably pay him well, but he certainly can play at a higher level. Smells a type of Arsenal or Spurs type of player.
I can't say I've sniffed him but I'd love him at United. I'd also be a bit gutted if he did move and went to any other premier league club than us, he'd be perfect in our defence and is the right age.

Morpheus 7

Glad youse are enjoying your national teams win tonight. Not to burst your bubble but he's not the answer to win big honours. We need a real leader, sorry boys but Maguire isn't it. We need an experienced winner to compliment the talent we have in Bailly and Lindelof. I'm chatting a Godin, Bonnuci style leader.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I can't say I've sniffed him but I'd love him at United. I'd also be a bit gutted if he did move and went to any other premier league club than us, he'd be perfect in our defence and is the right age.
Don't think Leicester is going to sell him this Summer, they don't look the type of club who needs to sell all their best players to survive.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Terry and King were great at playing out of the back.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Don't think Leicester is going to sell him this Summer, they don't look the type of club who needs to sell all their best players to survive.
We aren’t, our owners are incredibly wealthy, Maguire is more likely to captain us than leave

Inter Yer Nan

I rate him but I think we have enough defenders of similar quality. Need someone who'd walk in and be our best defender head and shoulders otherwise why spend another 50-60m?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Looks like the kinda guy to have a stick in his garage dedicated to mixing paint.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Amazed at the comments in this thread. He arses around with the ball far too much and positionally is very poor.

He also allowed Columbia to score a goal in extra time because he was busy looking at a ball that wasn't on the pitch while the actual ball was being thrown to him...I know the ref stopped the game but this was absolutely astonishingly stupid. There was actually no reason to stop the game at all.

He just looks like a big lumbering version of Blind to me...he'll convince people he's playing well because he can sod around with the ball and look composed, which people seem to love, but when you actually look at what he does during the game, you realise he's just doing what other defenders do, except badly.

Against Tunisia he was a joke at times. Nearly cost England a goal at one point because he was trying to do skills by the corner flag and lost the ball. Did the same thing again a few minutes later. Abandoned his position completely in the second half so he could get on the ball more, and do the sum total of feck all with it.

Walker and Stones have similar tendencies but can actually move faster than a sloth so at least have half a chance of bailing themselves out. Maguire will be the one to cost England in all likelyhood, because when he gets caught out arsing around oor daydreaming which he no doubt will at some point, there's no way he's getting back in time to redeem the situation.

Treble

No mention of his embarassing dive? Ok. Only Brazilians, Spaniards and the likes dive, English players are above that, surely.

He wasn't bad though.

Rajma

Amazed at the comments in this thread. He arses around with the ball far too much and positionally is very poor.

He also allowed Columbia to score a goal in extra time because he was busy looking at a ball that wasn't on the pitch while the actual ball was being thrown to him...I know the ref stopped the game but this was absolutely astonishingly stupid. There was actually no reason to stop the game at all.

He just looks like a big lumbering version of Blind to me...he'll convince people he's playing well because he can sod around with the ball and look composed, which people seem to love, but when you actually look at what he does during the game, you realise he's just doing what other defenders do, except badly.

Against Tunisia he was a joke at times. Nearly cost England a goal at one point because he was trying to do skills by the corner flag and lost the ball. Did the same thing again a few minutes later. Abandoned his position completely in the second half so he could get on the ball more, and do the sum total of feck all with it.

Walker and Stones have similar tendencies but can actually move faster than a sloth so at least have half a chance of bailing themselves out. Maguire will be the one to cost England in all likelyhood, because when he gets caught out arsing around oor daydreaming which he no doubt will at some point, there's no way he's getting back in time to redeem the situation.
And..That’s the correct answer.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

No mention of his embarassing dive? Ok. Only Brazilians, Spaniards and the likes dive, English players are above that, surely.

He wasn't bad though.
In fairness he got straight up and told the ref that it wasn't a foul.

I disagree though. I think good that England have started engaging in the skulduggery you see with nearly other nations.

I thought the game management by England up till Colombia's goal, which came out of nowhere, was excellent. We controlled the narrative whilst the Colombians lost their heads.

simplyared

With that analysis seems you have an axe to grind with the player.

arnie_ni

With that analysis seems you have an axe to grind with the player.
Most of it was spot on. Lost the ball in v dangerous positions against Tunisia twice and a better team would have scored.

Played the guy on side against Panama.

Didnt win the header for the colombia goal.

Got v v v lucky the ref stopped play at the throw in when bacca scored. The ball was already off the pitch. Pickford kicked it off and had made it back to goal by the time coloumbia threw it in but he was still farting about

Treble

In fairness he got straight up and told the ref that it wasn't a foul.

I disagree though. I think good that England have started engaging in the skulduggery you see with nearly other nations.

I thought the game management by England up till Colombia's goal, which came out of nowhere, was excellent. We controlled the narrative whilst the Colombians lost their heads.
England were the better team and deservedly won. Maguire is good but that moment was akward.

Jack-C20

This. It was cringe worthy, but let's book the Columbians for pointing it out.
Pointing it out? By surrounding the ref and screaming in his face? He got plenty of stick for his dive last night in the World Cup thread. Half the Colombian players complaining were lucky to still be on the pitch anyway. I’ve always like Maguire. No doubt he has things he needs to work on but he has plenty of time on his side. His presence at corners is his best asset. Can’t remember us scoring many corners last season.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So at what point will the caf be begging to sign him? I’ve been saying we should sign him for 2 years now

BarstoolProphet

Don't think he's good enough to vastly improve us but I still like him a lot nevertheless. He stood out from the bad bunch of players when he was at Hull.

Decomposing In Paris

Pointing it out? By surrounding the ref and screaming in his face? He got plenty of stick for his dive last night in the World Cup thread. Half the Colombian players complaining were lucky to still be on the pitch anyway. I’ve always like Maguire. No doubt he has things he needs to work on but he has plenty of time on his side. His presence at corners is his best asset. Can’t remember us scoring many corners last season.
It was a clear and obvious dive with the intention of conning a penalty out of the ref, it's a yellow card. I like Maguire too, but it was cheating. He might have gotten stick on a thread (I haven't read it) but it was almost ignored by the English commentators I had, and it was certainly ignored by the Ref & VAR. I imagine they only started screaming because they felt a sense of injustice.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He looks like a villain in The Deuce

Classical Mechanic

It was a clear and obvious dive with the intention of conning a penalty out of the ref, it's a yellow card. I like Maguire too, but it was cheating. He might have gotten stick on a thread (I haven't read it) but it was almost ignored by the English commentators I had, and it was certainly ignored by the Ref & VAR. I imagine they only started screaming because they felt a sense of injustice.
Its.......almost like the English commentators are biased towards their own team!

They did mention it though. Clive actually tried to claim their was contact and Glen dismissed it out of hand.

Maguire saved himself by telling the ref there was no contact as soon as he got up. He thought the foul was coming and went down

They didn't get booked for pointing it out either, they got booked for dissent.

Jack-C20

I don’t disagree, I hate diving as much as anyone. I don’t watch Maguire enough to know whether diving is a regular thing from him or not but last night it looked like he made a rash and stupid decision and regretted it immediately so apologised. Either that or he is a cheat and knew he wasn’t getting a penalty for it so didn’t want to get booked. In fairness Hoddle kind of called him out on it. The small amount of sense he spoke last night. The Columbians had a game plan last night and getting in the refs face was just part of it. It took 5 minutes to take a penalty because of them arguing even after VAR had checked it. Hopefully diving isn’t something he does a lot. You’ll quickly get a reputation for it. I cringe every time Ashley Young goes over playing for us.