Harry Wilson red card

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m sure it’s a very controversial red but anyone else think challenges like that should always result in a sending off?

Every time a player gets tripped there’s a risk of injury. That injury increases when they’re tripped unexpectedly. When someone has no chance of getting the ball and no intention of playing the ball wouldn’t it be in the spirit of the game to amend the rules to clarify that these scenarios are an automatic red?

Discuss.

acnumber9

I’m sure it’s a very controversial red but anyone else think challenges like that should always result in a sending off?

Every time a player gets tripped there’s a risk of injury. That injury increases when they’re tripped unexpectedly. When someone has no chance of getting the ball and no intention of playing the ball wouldn’t it be in the spirit of the game to amend the rules to clarify that these scenarios are an automatic red?

Discuss.
I do. It’s needlessly dirty and players think they can get away with it. I hate snidey, dirty fouls like that.

Tarrou

nah, never a red and these situations shouldn't be reds

game would become very difficult to referee because any trip where you're late would be a possible red

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Discuss.
Yep.
Go in that hard with no attempt for the ball, and you deserve to be gone.

Idxomer

Yes, and no one would be rating Fernandinho anymore if they did.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think it depends what you're asking. If it's "should" it be a red, that's a different question.

If it's "was" it a red, then never in a million years

Baneofthegame

There will be a lot of people getting sent off of this is the case, cynical fouls would be reds as well.

KC91

Have to look at the situation of the game. 3-0 for Denmark, 2 minutes left. No reason to go in for a challenge like that.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I think it depends what you're asking. If it's "should" it be a red, that's a different question.

I would agree with that. An argument to be had wether situations like that should be a red card, but as things stand, nowhere near a red card in my book.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

My question is the former. I don’t think it was a red but I think the rules should be changed to make it one.

I think referees are able to tell the difference between a late, legitimate challenge and what Wilson did. I remember Shaw doing something similar for us. They’re rare enough though. Wouldn’t massively increase sending offs IMO.

PoTMS

Discuss.
Yep. Definite red. And should always be a red. The Welsh cnut tried to "do" him and failed. You try that on a pitch outside of professional football and you'll get knocked the feck out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure I'd be giving reds for them. It depends entirely on the contact the tackling player makes. The one today wasn't a red for me though.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Didn't Rooney get a similar one a few seasons ago? Basically trying to break up an attack and over-cooked it.

It happens, it was cynical, and ultimately, it doesn't matter.

Withnail

Never a red.

It's not like it was a potential leg-breaker where the player was lucky to avoid serious injury.

He goes to trip him and barely touches his boot.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Reckless and petulant. Looked a red in real time, didn’t look one slowed down. I think it was the correct decision. Stupid tackle

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yep. Definite red. And should always be a red. The Welsh cnut tried to "do" him and failed. You try that on a pitch outside of professional football and you'll get knocked the feck out.
You don't know the first thing about football if you think that was trying to "do" someone ffs.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
My question is the former. I don’t think it was a red but I think the rules should be changed to make it one.

I think referees are able to tell the difference between a late, legitimate challenge and what Wilson did. I remember Shaw doing something similar for us. They’re rare enough though. Wouldn’t massively increase sending offs IMO.
I think there’s definitely an argument, this is anecdotal but as you mentioned in the op about the potential increase to injury in this kind of challenge, I was watching a Welsh prem game years ago, where a cynical challenge was made behind to ankle trip and the recovering player managed to fall awkwardly over his own knee, and as well doing serious damage to his knee, he also bloodied his own face by head butting hai knee. I think the complete lack of awareness of the challenge coming in gave him no time to react as he fell.

I think the tricky part is we have a lot of challenges each game where no real effort is made to get the ball, but just to stop the counter. I think players sliding in like today is rarer but In theory it’s the same as tripping a player who breaks past (though I guess not going to ground changes it a fair bit)

Irwin99

Didn't Rooney get a similar one a few seasons ago? Basically trying to break up an attack and over-cooked it.

It happens, it was cynical, and ultimately, it doesn't matter.
Said in the other thread there have been some similar tackles on Ronaldo when he was here. The one Joe Cole did was absolutely a red and could have broken Ronnie's ankle.

I didn’t think it was a red at first. But looking back (although not seen again), yes, any tackle where you have zero intent to get the ball should be a red, it’s play that should be outlawed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn’t think it was a red at first. But looking back (although not seen again), yes, any tackle where you have zero intent to get the ball should be a red, it’s play that should be outlawed.
Yeah I think he was being a dick too.

At first I thought it was crazy but I understand it now.

The Hilton

Sure, mate. He knew exactly what he was doing.
He did know exactly what he was doing - tripping the opposition player up. No attempt to "do him", not an intentional injury, nothing more than a trip.

Yellow card for stopping the attack, nowhere near a red. Terrible decision.

PoTMS

He did know exactly what he was doing - tripping the opposition player up. No attempt to "do him", not an intentional injury, nothing more than a trip.

Yellow card for stopping the attack, nowhere near a red. Terrible decision.
I should probably clarify what I mean by "do him". By that I mean there was no intention at all to play the ball. It was purely to harm the player, out of frustration, not necessarily injure him. But point stands, he easily could have.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I should probably clarify what I mean by "do him". There was no intention at all to play the ball, it was purely to harm the player, not necessarily injure him.
You are talking some rubbish. It was to create a foul and stop play. There was no intention "to do" the player and no intention to harm or injure the player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think there’s definitely an argument, this is anecdotal but as you mentioned in the op about the potential increase to injury in this kind of challenge, I was watching a Welsh prem game years ago, where a cynical challenge was made behind to ankle trip and the recovering player managed to fall awkwardly over his own knee, and as well doing serious damage to his knee, he also bloodied his own face by head butting hai knee. I think the complete lack of awareness of the challenge coming in gave him no time to react as he fell.

I think the tricky part is we have a lot of challenges each game where no real effort is made to get the ball, but just to stop the counter. I think players sliding in like today is rarer but In theory it’s the same as tripping a player who breaks past (though I guess not going to ground changes it a fair bit)
I think you define it around whether or not the offending player had any chance at all, however slim, of playing the ball. Blocking runs is different, as that introduces too many grey areas. This would be when a player is kicked/tripped up. Which is extremely obvious when it happens.

PoTMS

You are talking some rubbish. It was to create a foul and stop play. There was no intention "to do" the player and no intention to harm or injure the player.
Stop play when you've just gone 3-0 down? :lol: You are truly deluded.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I think you define it around whether or not the offending player had any chance at all, however slim, of playing the ball. Blocking runs is different, as that introduces too many grey areas. This would be when a player is kicked/tripped up. Which is extremely obvious when it happens.
But isn't a shirt pull a similar foul? No attempt at the ball whatsoever