Has Juan Mata been a flop?

Ekeke

Yes he's obviously a flop.

He was signed and paid as a star player and has at best been a cog in the machine at United. He played his best when he first came and got more and more mediocre as time has gone on

Berbatov and Veron were better.

stepic

he's been a flop compared to most of our initial expectations signing him from Chelsea. on the whole he's done generally OK for us, though, but I expected more.

kerryman

he's been a flop compared to most of our initial expectations signing him from Chelsea. on the whole he's done generally OK for us, though, but I expected more.
One of the most intelligent and creative players we've had in the past 10-15 years. Has been played out of position for most of his Utd career, his best position is as a 10, considering that I'd say he's done well. He's certainly given us some great performances and awesome moments. Model professional also.
He's been one of the best performers in a pretty mediocre team over the last 6 years.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Yes he has been a flop. Hasn’t performed consistently well at all except for maybe a month and a half under the LVG era, around the time when he scored the overhead kick. I can’t remember the last time he had a very good game.

steakpie

Definitely not a flop. A massive succeess, nope.

I think we have missed a trick by not playing him more centrally.

I would have loved to have seen this midfield, Pogba-Herrera-Mata. I guarantee Pep would've tried it.

dove

No. He was a good player, calling him a flop is stupid.

Kaglish10

A flop. What I dislike most is his tendency to pretend as a striker looking for chances to run towards, when he should be the one creating these chances. He was no different from an average SS in his time here.

decorativeed

I think the proper term for him is "he didn't live upto expectations"
You could just as well apply that phrase to every player and manager we've had since Fergie though. Also, ( same goes for others) we've missused him, playing him out of position most of the time to accomodate others. Perhaps that's the bad side of being a nice guy, he hasn't wanted to rock the boat and be more forceful about playing in his best position.

johanovic

He´s a player I like but he´s never had a proper chance in his right position as he is not and will never be a RW/Wide player. His best position is as a AM behind a striker but I suspect he will leave this summer. He has not been a flop but hardly a success either. I like his personality and behaviour as a Man Utd player and wish him all the best.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We've never seen the same Mata that Chelsea did for 2 years and he's been with us now what 6 years?

Castia

Flop is a strong word but he’s been disappointing.

To be fair he’s constantly played out of position on the right when he’s clearly not capable of that role.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No. He was a good player, calling him a flop is stupid.
A good player is surely someone that has lived up to expectations? We are talking about a 40million player here - in the current market that would be a 60-80 million pound signing.

Apart from Juanfield - is there anything of real significance he brought to the table here?

Ekeke

A good player is surely someone that has lived up to expectations? We are talking about a 40million player here - in the current market that would be a 60-80 million pound signing.

Apart from Juanfield - is there anything of real significance he brought to the table here?
Even in today's climate he wouldnt have been worth a £40 million signing with 140k a week wages. Let alone back then

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he's been one of the few successes in his time here.
He's been a good player for us, despite having to play in a position that doesn't suit him.
Of all the players in the squad to be labelled a flop, Mata is a very strange choice.

RE1999

Great technical player, probably one of the best 10s in the game.

Awful playing RW.

3 successive managers played him RW.

An average career at United.

dove

He wasn't worth the amount of money we paid even at the time we did. Chelsea fans and probably their board were laughing at us when we paid nearly £40m. Our useless board and the money we always overpay shouldn't be the indicator of expectations from the player. I think Mata was a good player for us. He, just like majority of our squad are victims of our club's complete lack of direction when we hire wrong managers. I won't say he was a superstar but surely not a flop.

Dinghy

Creative player that doesn't create. Yes, he's most definitely a flop.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think he's been one of the few successes in his time here.
He's been a good player for us, despite having to play in a position that doesn't suit him.
Of all the players in the squad to be labelled a flop, Mata is a very strange choice.
Success? In what sense has he been a success?

I can see the perspective of someone who can’t bring themselves to say he’s a flop because it’s mean and he’s not the worst of a bad bunch and has been a good professional - but success?

Qualify that comment for me as I’m probably missing something.

dogwithabone

33 goals in 161 games from midfield, often important goals too. Hardly a flop. He's just been unlucky that he's been at United during one of our most turbulent periods in recent history. In a settled side under, say, Fergie I think Mata would have been a far more prominent player than he's ended up being.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Skills

Snitch
He wasn't worth the amount of money we paid even at the time we did. Chelsea fans and probably their board were laughing at us when we paid nearly £40m. Our useless board and the money we always overpay shouldn't be the indicator of expectations from the player. I think Mata was a good player for us. He, just like majority of our squad are victims of our club's complete lack of direction when we hire wrong managers. I won't say he was a superstar but surely not a flop.
No they weren't. He was their 2x player of the year and was one of the fan favourites at Stamford bridge. For 2 seasons he was one of their best players as Chelsea won their first ever European trophies.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's from that generation of Spanish players who you surround with other silky and nimble ball-retainers to amplify their qualities. You don't sign him and Fellaini within a few months of each other and expect them to play together and be more than the sum of their parts.

Excellent player who has been on the wane for about six years but whose fall was accelerated because of the ill fits around him. Classic example of United's lack of football strategy post Ferguson.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
33 goals in 161 games from midfield, often important goals too. Hardly a flop. He's just been unlucky that he's been at United during one of our most turbulent periods in recent history. In a settled side under, say, Fergie I think Mata would have been a far more prominent player than he's ended up being.

Wrong place, wrong time.
I don't think he would ever have thrived under Fergie. Fergie didn't know what to do with Kagawa and generally didn't know what to do with number 10's of the continental mould. Mata was never suited to play for United.

He would have been a good player in a more continental side with a more modern possession style.

He's certainly a more than 'good' player with quality - just wrong man for the club IMO.

Based Adnan

Yes absolutely. Signed as one of the top players in the league and has been anything but that since coming. Quickly faded in to a simple rotation option and it's hard to argue he justified the massive fee and wages he was on with his contributions.

I feel like people taking into account Mata's personality too much when evaluating him as a player.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's from that generation of Spanish players who you surround with other silky and nimble ball-retainers to amplify their qualities. You don't sign him and Fellaini within a few months of each other and expect them to play together and be more than the sum of their parts.

Excellent player who has been on the wane for about six years but whose fall was accelerated because of the ill fits around him. Classic example of United's lack of football strategy post Ferguson.
Agreed.

EireRed_GS

He was unreal at Chelsea as he was played in his best position at his peak.. United have a habit of taking great players and playing them out of position then wondering why its not the same as before.. Wasted big time being played out wide. he doesn't have the pace.. His skill is quick one touch football through the middle, we see this any time he gets the odd run out there

Not a flop, but not a massive success either..

stu_1992

It would be too harsh to call him a flip but he's definitely been a disappointment from what I initially expected. He's come up with some big goals on big occasions but as others have said never been truly an influential over any period of time. I would say a 6/10.

Skills

Snitch
Yes absolutely. Signed as one of the top players in the league and has been anything but that since coming. Quickly faded in to a simple rotation option and it's hard to argue he justified the massive fee and wages he was on with his contributions.

I feel like people taking into account Mata's personality too much when evaluating him as a player.
And who does that reflect badly on? I find the thinking of some of our fans quite incredulous at times.

We sign players from Dortmund who look good over there, yet come here and look half as good. Manchester United fans reach the conclusion that we should never sign players from Dortmund or the Bundesliga is a weak league. That's why they fail.

We then sign one of the best players in the league from Chelsea, and he also ends up never replicating that form. Conclusion - he was just never that good.

Similar thing is happening with Pogba now.

I think we need to have a closer look to home. The fact that players look good at other clubs, and look half as good here is a recurring theme.

Ashley R1+O

He's been below acceptable but not a flop. He's been here probably three years too long and needs to be moved on with a handshake and a "thanks mate".

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If he's to be considered a flop (which I don't by the way) it is solely because he has been used incorrectly. He's clearly a good bloke and hasn't publicly complained but he could very well be thinking he's wasted the best years of his career here and I wouldn't blame him.

Mata is a 10 and nothing else. Play him as a 10 and put strong, direct and fast attackers around him that make decent runs and he would shine. It's a real shame what has been done to him during his time here. He's been used to plug a gap.

Ekeke

No they weren't. He was their 2x player of the year and was one of the fan favourites at Stamford bridge. For 2 seasons he was one of their best players as Chelsea won their first ever European trophies.
And then Mourinho decided Oscar was his new toy and Mata was moved to right wing, where he was average. So they were happy to get so much money from an average "RW" when Mourinho had already replaced him as the number 10

Ekeke

Anyone who thinks hes only been a flop because of playing RW is ignoring the fact that over the course of his United career he's had a bunch of games as the #10 and hasnt been convincing. At first we probably should have played him in that role with Rooney getting worse and also being more of an out and out striker. But he continued as our main SS/#10. But over the years Mata has been tried as our number 10 many times and doesn't do the job there any better than at RW.

Negative Red

Mata hasn't lived up to expectations. I thought Berbatov was great for us. Veron would be considered the biggest flop of the three although he did have some great performances in Europe for us. Big Ron used to give him almost orgasmic praise in commentary.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not a flop in my eyes. A lot of people say his lack of pace is the killer and you can't disagree with that. Conduct has been exemplary. Clearly a talented player but the issue we have is that our recruitment policy since he has arrived has meant he has never really held down a position of his own. Id grade him as 6.5 / 10 for his time with us.

Revaulx

Flop is a strong word but he’s been disappointing.

To be fair he’s constantly played out of position on the right when he’s clearly not capable of that role.
Sums it up really.

The more interesting question is why he’s been a disappointment. The lack of balance and cohesion in the squad while he’s been here clearly hasn’t helped, but then again his signing in the first place was a symptom of that: “Yikes we’re in a mess and the fans are getting restless. We need a big signing. Who’s available? Mata? Ok; if we sign him and wish hard enough things may improve.” Repeat with Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Pogba, Sanchez etc.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's done the job when called upon.

Not his fault that we've continuously played players out of position in systems where the players at our disposal aren't suited at all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He symbolises most of the top players we've bought ever since Sir Alex left ie a player who had already won everything that he could win who came to United when he was already in decline.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Success? In what sense has he been a success?

I can see the perspective of someone who can’t bring themselves to say he’s a flop because it’s mean and he’s not the worst of a bad bunch and has been a good professional - but success?

Qualify that comment for me as I’m probably missing something.
I think he's been a success in the sense that he's been one of our better attackers over the last few years.
He's not been that good this season, which I think makes people forget previous seasons.
I think he played really well for a period under Van Gaal. He even managed to do well in Mourinhos first season. He's provided important goals and assists in matches that led us to trophies.
I've not been to old Trafford in a couple of years, but I went a good few times under Van Gaal and was always impressed with Mata.
I just think he's a good player, and I think he's done well for us.

Brian McNair

Mata is indicative of pretty much every signing post Sir Alex in that none of the subsequent managers seem to have a cohesive strategy as to how to deploy these players whether they were their signings or inherited.
These are common themes when changing management with such frequency unfortunately.
He was a phenomenal player for a very good Chelsea side when signed .