Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I too hope you managed to stop this stupid woman from having her own opinion. Somethingsomething, ethics in gaming journalism.

The problem with this kind of sudden outrage at the treatment of poor, put upon men, is that woman have been subject to daft persecution like this - and significantly worse - for centuries, but now a few anecdotal examples can be provided that affect men, and suddenly that is a serious issue that needs to be rectified immediately. It tends to make your grasp of the situation look really small. It's like white people saying "It's cool black people, we've solved racism now, sorry it took so long, but can we start to focus on the really important issue of people being mean to us now?"

Which doesn't mean a man should've been sacked for saying dongle or anything, but it's hard to take people's outrage seriously when their focus in the wide and varied world of sexual discriminationton is on the tiny beginings of a risk to their own all powerful position. Most men's (as most white people's)* natural perception of the world is so skewed to their benefit that they don't even notice the privilages they've been privvy to, but wo betide some fecking woman should complain about her her lot...doesn't she know some man was sacked for saying dongle once? We've suffered too!

*I'm both, btw, which inevitably makes me a social justice warrior in some quarters.

Last edited:

tombombadil

For my sake I don't discuss this subject with her.
Hahahaha .. good point

Some women think that's degrading. Shame on you.
Slurp. :D

I too hope you managed to stop this stupid woman from having her own opinion. Somethingsomething, ethics in gaming journalism.

The problem with this kind of sudden outrage at the treatment of poor, put upon men, is that woman have been subject to daft persecution like this - and significantly worse - for centuries, but now a few anecdotal examples can be provided that affect men, and suddenly that is a serious issue that needs to be rectified immediately. It tends to make your grasp of the situation look really small. It's like white people saying "It's cool black people, we've solved racism now, sorry it took so long, but can we start to focus on the really important issue of people being mean to us now?"

Which doesn't mean a man should've been sacked for saying dongle or anything, but it's hard to take people's outrage seriously when their focus in the wide and varied world of sexual discriminationton is on the tiny beginings of a risk to their own all powerful position. Most men's (as most white people's)* natural perception of the world is so skewed to their benefit that they don't even notice the privilages they've been privvy to, but wo betide some fecking woman should complain about her her lot...doesn't she know some man was sacked for saying dongle once? We've suffered too!

*I'm both, btw, which inevitably makes me a social justice warrior in some quarters.
Calm down. All you've successfully done here is ignore everything I've said and construct strawmen for you to knock down. lol.

A great example of PC going over the top was a few weeks ago when I was walking and wearing my Union Jack t-shirt - some twat shouted "racist" out of his car window as he passed ... and he was white :D
Could have been a joke alluding to the very problem (true or not) discussed in this thread. I could certainly do something like that while drunk :drool:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Member 39557

Such a long article.

Could've used a trigger warning.
Very true, I'm sorry and I accept full responsibility for any trauma caused by the length of the article I linked to.

It taught me a new term "vindictive protectiveness" which is quite a good description of behaviour that occurs in some of the college examples and in some of the social media stuff too.

Iron Stove

That's a terrific article. We certainly live in crazy times. That bit about law students getting "triggered" by rape law is just farcical.

This quote is great:

Rather than trying to protect students from words and ideas that they will inevitably encounter, colleges should do all they can to equip students to thrive in a world full of words and ideas that they cannot control. One of the great truths taught by Buddhism (and Stoicism, Hinduism, and many other traditions) is that you can never achieve happiness by making the world conform to your desires.

Madthinker

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A great example of PC going over the top was a few weeks ago when I was walking and wearing my Union Jack t-shirt - some twat shouted "racist" out of his car window as he passed ... and he was white :D
To be fair, some people just get a kick out of hollering from a moving car. :nervous:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Great article. Man am I glad I didn't have to go to University with such unbelievably sensitive souls. God help them out in the real world.
I know what you mean, but do us slightly older types trivialise this stuff because we are from a different era? In the 'Bond is the worst spy ever' thread I chuckled at the reference to his rather dubious 'that'll keep you in curry for a few weeks' comment when tipping an Indian and ditto when my sub-editor mate at my old mag suggested a headline of 'From raghead to riches' for a profile piece about a Sikh guy from a poor background who did well for himself in financial services. Not that I endorse these views and I have that getout clause of having an African/Asian wife etc...
He was only trying to piss of his boss tbf.

Member 39557

I saw this interesting quote from Anne Rice on the front page of reddit this morning.

Signing off with thanks to all who have participated in our discussions of fiction writing today. I want to leave you with this thought: I think we are facing a new era of censorship, in the name of political correctness. There are forces at work in the book world that want to control fiction writing in terms of who "has a right" to write about what. Some even advocate the out and out censorship of older works using words we now deem wholly unacceptable. Some are critical of novels involving rape. Some argue that white novelists have no right to write about people of color; and Christians should not write novels involving Jews or topics involving Jews. I think all this is dangerous. I think we have to stand up for the freedom of fiction writers to write what they want to write, no matter how offensive it might be to some one else. We must stand up for fiction as a place where transgressive behavior and ideas can be explored. We must stand up for freedom in the arts. I think we have to be willing to stand up for the despised. It is always a matter of personal choice whether one buys or reads a book. No one can make you do it. But internet campaigns to destroy authors accused of inappropriate subject matter or attitudes are dangerous to us all. That's my take on it. Ignore what you find offensive. Or talk about it in a substantive way. But don't set out to censor it, or destroy the career of the offending author. Comments welcome. I will see you tomorrow.
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/3go2y1/anne_rice_i_think_we_are_facing_a_new_era_of/

Member 39557

I know what you mean, but do us slightly older types trivialise this stuff because we are from a different era? In the 'Bond is the worst spy ever' thread I chuckled at the reference to his rather dubious 'that'll keep you in curry for a few weeks' comment when tipping an Indian and ditto when my sub-editor mate at my old mag suggested a headline of 'From raghead to riches' for a profile piece about a Sikh guy from a poor background who did well for himself in financial services. Not that I endorse these views and I have that getout clause of having an African/Asian wife etc...
He was only trying to piss of his boss tbf.
There is a big difference between chuckling at a racist joke and the sort of censorship and walking on eggshells that's being described in the article.

I'm sure the guy who made the "raghead to riches" comment wouldn't dream of standing in front of a large audience and making a "joke" like that, yet he probably felt comfortable enough in your company to try a risky pun in the knowledge that you'd accept it as a cheeky pun, rather than an offensive slur on the man in question.

Now imagine addressing a room full of people and trying to describe the Indian chap and his rise to wealth without being able to mention that he's from a poor background because that might trigger the less advantaged in the audience. That's the sort of absurdity that's creeping in to some institutions.

GBBQ

Not to bombard people with links but I read this essay by Roxane Gay a while back on trigger warnings. She's a survivor of sexual assault and i think her view is the most nuanced I've seen on the issue.

http://therumpus.net/2012/08/the-illusion-of-safetythe-safety-of-illusion/
Good to have a survivors perspective on the ideas of trigger warnings. The list of situations which trigger a response in her just shows that its impossible to fully protect yourself in the real world. Colleges are too insular and to me, giving warnings on works of fiction is just depleting your ability to deal with these situations when you encounter them in your post college life.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Good to have a survivors perspective on the ideas of trigger warnings. The list of situations which trigger a response in her just shows that its impossible to fully protect yourself in the real world. Colleges are too insular and to me, giving warnings on works of fiction is just depleting your ability to deal with these situations when you encounter them in your post college life.
That's the main thrust of her article, to be fair. Triggers are too many and varied to ever be avoided succesfully so what's the point in trying?

I do disagree with some of her concluding paras though.

I do recognize that in some spaces, we have to err on the side of safety or the illusion thereof. Trigger warnings aren’t meant for those of us who don’t believe in them just like the Bible wasn’t written for atheists. Trigger warnings are designed for the people who need them, who need that safety.

Those of us who do not believe should have little say in the matter. We can neither presume nor judge what others might feel the need to be protected from.
That's addressed quite well in The Atlantic article above. We can't function in a society where anyone can decide they find anything offensive and must not be challenged on the basis that offence can only ever be defined by the person taking offence. That way madness lies.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
That's the main thrust of her article, to be fair. Triggers are too many and varied to ever be avoided succesfully so what's the point in trying?

That's addressed quite well in The Atlantic article above. We can't function in a society where anyone can decide they find anything offensive and must not be challenged on the basis that offence can only ever be defined by the person taking offence. That way madness lies.
Shes not saying "anyone" though. She's advocating for the correct use of trigger warnings and that in some cases they can be helpful and whether they are should be decided by people who are affected.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Shes not saying "anyone" though. She's advocating for the correct use of trigger warnings and that in some cases they can be helpful and whether they are should be decided by people who are affected.
There's two different issues here.

Giving trigger warnings is one issue but we're also hearing about educators being forced to avoid including potential triggers in course-work.

The fomer is potentially reasonable (although how the hell does any lecturer know what is and is not a potential trigger for a diverse cohort of students?) but the latter is utter madness (IMO) and does seem to be happening.

GBBQ

To me that was a covering-her-arse statement in anticipation of the counter arguements she would get (rather than absolutely say no trigger warnings are needed) and lo and behold, someone pipes in saying that people with PTSD will suffer set backs hence triggers are needed (essentially missing the whole point of the article).

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
There's two different issues here.

Giving trigger warnings is one issue but we're also hearing about educators being forced to avoid including potential triggers in course-work.

The fomer is potentially reasonable (although how the hell does any lecturer know what is and is not a potential trigger for a diverse cohort of students?) but the latter is utter madness (IMO) and does seem to be happening.
She doesn't advocate the latter though.

On a side note I'll make the point that I've attended three universities over the past eight years and none of these issues have come up outside the odd discussion. Methinks it's a bit of a beat up about some extremists.

Tyrion

My opinion is that yes it has in some cases and in some quarters but I think it's impossible to define all of society, the Internet or even universities as too PC as for every case of someone wanting the entire curriculum changed because the book contains things that upset them there are cases of rape victims being ignored. Assuming that the extreme examples are the norm leads both 'sides' to become more and more detached from the actual reality which leads to weird Internet arguments between people who say the other is a 'Feminazi' and the other is misogynist even if they just disagree.

In general, I think things are probably too PC but I can see why some would want us (us being people who aren't activists for anything) to err on the side of caution due to the extreme cases we see sometimes. Though I do resent the way they often try and get us to do it (i.e. through the use of complaining rather than just convincing).

Nothing wrong with political correctness in general, but I sometimes get the impression that certain people go out of their way to be offended at the slightest thing and use it to their advantage, or to push their own agendas. This is why we can't have nice things :(

You also get situations where people seemingly hide behind worthwhile causes despite being misguided and potentially bigoted and ruin potentially good work. Like the woman that looks like Noel Fielding from Goldsmiths University who hosted an equality event on the proviso that you're not white and/or male.
She explained that she can't be a racist though, because she's from an ethnic minority background :houllier:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/goldsmiths-university-diversity-officer-in-racism-row-i-cant-be-racist-because-im-an-ethnic-minority-woman-10243202.html
"I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describe structures of privilege based on race and gender.

"Therefore, women of colour and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist, since we do not stand to benefit from such a system.”
I've heard that argument made before. I instantly assume that anyone who makes that argument has either a hidden agenda or is actually prejudiced themselves. It annoys me that often these people see others using certain words as oppressive and offensive (I read a comment describing the word lame as "an ableist slur") and we must avoid them but they can't be racist/sexist because of their race/gender.

Good point. That is something that bothers me. This might be slightly off topic but it does bother me that certain topics are deemed to be off limits to me simply because I can't/haven't directly experienced them. It's a ridiculous line of argument that is used too often and rarely challenged (sensibly) to avoid offending overly sensitive people.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Indeed. If the apex of political correctness going mad is "something a bit silly happens" then...cool.

I mean, it isn't, but if it was.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And they were mocked. Rightfully. It's not going to cause censorship of clapping.
For sure. Although it's a nicely absurdist illustration of the ludicrously over-sensitive mindset that seems to have been allowed to permeate student culture these days.

The fact the request for jazz hands instead of clapping was taken seriously - even for a moment - is mind-blowing. That Atlantic article is full of loads more examples, with much more serious consequences.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
For sure. Although it's a nicely absurdist illustration of the ludicrously over-sensitive mindset that seems to have been allowed to permeate student culture these days.
Come on. Again, this clearly isn't a widespread issue. How many times has anyone witnessed any of these things in the flesh, or met any of these types of people?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Come on. Again, this clearly isn't a widespread issue. How many times has anyone witnessed any of these things in the flesh, or met any of these types of people?
I've seen a ton of "these types of people" on Twitter but never met anyone personally. Of course, it's almost 20 years since I was in University.

The article we've been discussing over the last page or so has a lot of concrete examples. So this is definitely a thing.