Has RedCafe soured you to Manchester United?

el3mel

This place would benefit from being able to like or dislike individual posts. Bit of feedback to posters and easier to see who is just trolling.
You know this will be abused to hell like reddit right?

Steerpike

No. It’s soured me against the generation of fans who started supporting during the fergie years and expect constant waves of success. And those fans who play too much football manager or fifa and expect our clubs transfer policy to match.
Yes, I have to agree. Unfortunately I think your description matches about 90% of the people on here (or at least the most vocal ones).

Sambob

Definitely, I hate being on this place after most matches lately, feels like at least half the members are city or Liverpool fans just wumming, there has been a definite increase in whingers and its a fecking negative place lately.

Siorac

I think what RedCafe needs is some kind of 'Safe Space' where all the super duper intelligent people with all the management experience can air their far superior opinions without having to suffer the pain of being outraged and triggered by anyone who might have the temerity to disagree with them.

Maybe we could get Ed Woodward in there, I mean he's got a ton of management experience!

On a serious note, this strategy of insinuating that anyone who disagrees with your opinion has some kind of inferior CV and is therefore unfit to comment is one of the worst cases of "argument from authority" I've come across. It's beyond pathetic.
This, absolutely. In general, most of the moaning about other Caftards here is nothing but a thinly veiled complaint about daring to voice disagreement.

We laugh at RAWK but a great many posters would actually prefer their moderation style.

Siorac

Definitely, I hate being on this place after most matches lately, feels like at least half the members are city or Liverpool fans just wumming, there has been a definite increase in whingers and its a fecking negative place lately.
We lost 7 out of the last 9, going out of every competition. Show me a set of football fans who wouldn't be negative. The Caf really isn't special in this.

Fts 74

Ive been through the unbelievable good times we've had, before that the not so good in the 80's.

If anything, coming on here makes me realise its not just me who gets wound up after we lose it comforts me to see how many people care passionately about our great club.

The Liverpool/City episode at the moment is hard to take, a reality check for us isn't such a bad thing as long as the suits back Ole properly we'll come out the other side.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This, absolutely. In general, most of the moaning about other Caftards here is nothing but a thinly veiled complaint about daring to voice disagreement.

We laugh at RAWK but a great many posters would actually prefer their moderation style.
I would 100% prefer their “moderation style” if that means banning idiots and shutting down transfer threads.

BigBebe

Sometimes, after a bad game, it is quite cathartic to be amongst like-minded whiners.

The thing that drives me nuts though, is trashing of our homegrown players (I hope McTomminay has never looked near here) and the demands that they are replaced by the next new shiny thing. For me, the youth aspect is really a big part of this club. When they turn out to be world beaters, there is nothing better. When they don't, too bad, I will still support them because they are ours.

Writing that last line, I know I will get grief from some people on here but then that's just the CAF.

fezzerUTD

Most of redcafe live in cuckoo land. Every time i see a cringey football manager lineup with 2 of our current players for next season makes me laugh.

People defending players like they are there best friends is funny as well. Rose tinted glasses fans are hilarious.

Just laugh at redcafe don't cry. :D

ForestRGoinUp

Yes, the ivory tower fans who seem to take more pride in their status as a top red than in the forward progress of the club, those types have greatly turned me off. This thread is a clear example.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I just saw someone who said he supports Barcelona and United, so I’m taking a break from the caf until after the Chelsea game as I’m off

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't post on here anywhere near as much as I used to. I think some folk just need to lower their expectations. It's going to take a few years to get back to where we all want to be and that's if the club even get their act together.

MoskvaRed

I don’t know what people expect - things are depressing right now if you support United. Six seasons and counting without a sniff of a title challenge is getting bad by historical standards even if you ignore the distorted perspective created by that incredible run from 1993 to 2013. And facetious comparisons with 1974 don’t help - we all know that the likelihood of United being relegated again is about the same as Derby County and Nottingham Forest winning more league titles. Combine that with the sense of drift at the club while City hoover up trophies and even Liverpool get their act together...

As for how we deal with the situation, I find there is a strange mix of complacency and exceptionalism among some United fans. As though we don’t need to do what other clubs do in order to succeed in 2019 as we’re United and something or someone will turn up as happened in 1986.

fallengt

Unless it's ad hominem attack there's no reason to get triggered by strangers on the internet. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree, that's what forum for.
What the heck else you want us to discuss about? Next Keeping up with Kardashians episode?

If you want hive mind or collective consciousness go to Reddit.

Minimalist

I don’t know what people expect - things are depressing right now if you support United. Six seasons and counting without a sniff of a title challenge is getting bad by historical standards even if you ignore the distorted perspective created by that incredible run from 1993 to 2013. And facetious comparisons with 1974 don’t help - we all know that the likelihood of United being relegated again is about the same as Derby County and Nottingham Forest winning more league titles. Combine that with the sense of drift at the club while City hoover up trophies and even Liverpool get their act together...

As for how we deal with the situation, I find there is a strange mix of complacency and exceptionalism among some United fans. As though we don’t need to do what other clubs do in order to succeed in 2019 as we’re United and something or someone will turn up as happened in 1986.
Don't think it's that bad to be fair despite the emotion felt on certain match days. I think it's more growing apathy because with a balanced look at United, it's more baffling (rather than depressing) how a club with such vast resources is not giving the likes of City a run for their money (even if coming off second best).

If United didn't win another league title until I die I couldn't complain (I've watched them win too many in my lifetime) - but it would be fecking weird.

Also don't think it would hurt to have a genuine star player in the final third to get people off their seats.

Member 117203

Nothing online can sour me, I'll just that certain events in life (death of a relative for instance) puts everything into perspective and makes you realize how trivial football really is.
Quite right. Social Media and fan forums are more about the ego of the poster than the subject of the post.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The reason is that the Glazer's and Ed Woodward only care about making money and the Glazer's have taken a lot of money out of the club to line their own pockets.

Woodward himself has said that performances on the pitch don't affect their ability to be profitable or their reach on social media.

LVG said United is run as a commercial club not a football club and there is truth to that.

When winning leagues isn't the priority coming down from the top and the structure isn't set up with a long term vision for footballing success you get mediocrity.

Apparently there is no one on the board who has any experience of running a football club which is highly unusual.

Last year when many other clubs made a profit United didn't. This is perhaps why suddenly there are noises around directors of football and getting the structure right.

Hopefully this is the start of a change of attitude which will bring United back to winning ways.
Fans made all sort of naratives. They spent big, they're afraid we missed out on top 4.

Even if the break records after records the fans keep on moving the goalpost. Now they're a safe scapegoat, we will never win with them at the helm sounds nice rather than the reality.

Red00012

Nope. But I didn’t realise how many glory hunters / plastic supporters and people who have no idea about the game on here.

AaronRedDevil

Sometimes It feels like it's only you that's believes certain things. I'm never really reactionary after a loss. I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Rashford, Fred and lingard are players united need for the future. All the negativity rubs off on me and fustrating seeing people post garbage like every player we have is crap.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I've always been a dour cynical poster, so nah, the cat didn't change me much. But I do apologise if I've killed the buzz for some of you at any point with my cynical posts.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This place would benefit from being able to like or dislike individual posts. Bit of feedback to posters and easier to see who is just trolling.
It wouldn't work. Some people take ages to come round to a view that others have had for a while and vehemently argue otherwise until they eventually realise and it becomes an accepted view. See Rooney being finished in the PL and Martial not applying himself. Imagine the amount of downvotes they'd dish out until they clock on a year later.

Web of Bissaka

No, it didn't. Used to it already.
How I felt about United is the same thing as before, obv how they are right now affects me, but hey there are still things to be glad about. And even before during SAF era, same thing -- there are both good and bad moments. It's not always sunshine when supporting and following Ferguson's United. Same thing with the post-SAF era -- there are good and bad moments.

Maybe because of that I'm fine with both the negative and positive posts, otherwise on extreme ends -- they're known as insulting and sunshine posts.

No need to let it bother you too much.
I understand it can hurt or affects you so much to change how you feel about United to sour, but if you can't handle it here, then you'll have a way harder time in the real life. It's the same thing, except it'll be more direct and to your face kind of thing -- they'll throw their opinions and all to your face, with all the social pressure and all or verbal assault or personal insults or mocking your disabilities and all, so just be bold and stand to your beliefs/opinions when that happen. Internet or texting, and by extension the redcafe is way safer since it's indirect.

Anyway just simply disagree the negative posts and move on~~~

Btw...
Why so many ironic posts in this thread? sounds so condescending.
I get that the negative posts can be tiring, but seriously everyone have their own views/opinions, everyone perceive things differently, and let's face it -- just like this thread, we all need to have some place to let our voices (frustrations, and whatever else feelings) out. It just so happen how forum works is everyone can read and know how you think and feel.

Just simply disagree the posts and move on~~~

Disagree and move on~~

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I think I’ve soured towards football in general over the last few years. I hate that you need a small mortgage to attend a game these days. Especially if you’re taking your kids as well. One of the last games I went to I was sat behind two posh blokes and one said to the other ‘we’re cheering on the ones in red’ if that’s the kind of supporters football wants now it can have em.

Champagne Football

If you get builders to build an extension onto your house and they turn out to be cowboys then it can wreck your mood.
First Moyes arrived with his hard hat on and wrecking ball to demolish the old part that needed rebuilding. Unfortunately though he fired the architect the day before arriving and ended up demolishing the wrong part of the building.
Next Van Gaal arrived with his tool belt and army of under-qualified underage immigrant workers from Mongolia. With all kinds of promises that he could fix the job. But after months of expensive building, all that was to show for the work was a big grey lump of cracking cement when you had been promised a large tudor-style building.
Jose then turns up in his digger and safety goggles on blasting the other 2 charlatans and demands 4 times the normal quote to finish the job. He shows photos of his previous successful jobs. He arrives the next day with his army of 90 year old experienced retired builders, all being paid 4 times the going rate. At first the work looks good, but after a few weeks the 90 year olds start to get tired. Instead of working for 8 hours, they spend 7 hours of each day sipping tea and boasting about their salaries, while only doing 45 minutes work each day. You tell Jose that paying so much for so little work is not sustainable but he keeps showing you photos of his previous jobs and saying 'I am the chosen one of builders. I am the builder with the biggest pair of stones out there. In building history, there is simply no one better than me.'
In the end after millions spent, your tudor style extension resembles a council flat so you hire an honest boy who hasn' t the experience but seems honest and likeable.... To be continued

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This place has been in civil war since Jose got here. After he left, the remnants and aftermath have continued unabated. It doesn't sour; it just makes me avoid.

People who were angry have just transferred their ire over to Ole or honed in on specific players whilst saying nothing about other players who are also under-performing by a great deal.

The first day after a loss, venturing into the United section and expecting much sense or quality discussion is folly - I avoid the whole section for a couple of days, generally.

The rounding on De Gea has been more of an exacerbated straw than Pogba, as, with the former, it's not even worth entering the threads or commenting on what is egregious. The Ole threads, I can at least understand the anxiety and frustration, but again, venturing into them is a waste of energy. Woodward threads are essentially groundhog day, so pretty pointless.

Of late, I only go into the Pogba threads and the odd thread that does capture the imagination here in the United forum. The Pogba threads run like Brexit to me; there's a need to speak up in them.

Enjoyment? I think that correlates with success - the United section of the site will never be joyous unless we're winning or in genuine pursuit at the latter stages of cup competition.

Most topics and responses therein are quite boring to read now; the civil war still wages, and even if things start off cordially, it's a rare sight to see them end with an amicable conclusion where both parties part on good terms.

I could read a lot of threads without partaking pre-Mourinho, now, or ever since, it'll generally be a 10-20 posts before I check out.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Excellent post. You have to wonder how many of them have been to live football matches. I'm not talking about the odd game, but rather many games of football.

I'm an out of town United fan and probably been to around 60 United matches in 35 years, but every time I've been to Manchester or the odd away game, I've learned so much about fan culture.

As a teen age kid I used to be a regular at my local non league side. For away games we often shared a coach with the players as there were so few of us. Again, I learned a lot about football from this. I also spoke to players and realised they are just people like me, just better at football than I am.

I've also played the game at local Saturday and Sunday level. I'm not a good player really, but this makes me appreciate how hard it is. Even so, I've had games where i scored 4 goals then not scored for 5 games missing loads of chances. Hard to explain even to myself.

Football is expensive and also easier now to watch every game at home than it was when I was a kid or young man. I'm not blaming them for this, but I wonder if being so distant from the match going culture of football is the problem.
Well they are easy to spot, every point they make is a quote from social media and not their own thoughts. I've no time for them.

goin4glory

I have a huge sense of frustration on this forum when posters just refuse to ever acknowledge they;re wrong even on basic issues. There's a poster in the Herrera thread right now claiming United play a 4-2-3-1 and Herrera is a in a DM duo with Pogba at 10.

When the quality takes such a nose dive it's tempting to leave.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Between the owners, the board, the various managers, the players and fans, I can’t imagine anyone not being soured towards the club at the moment.

This is a real test of loyalty to something that really hasn’t been supportable for many years now. Just think how worse things have turned since FC United was started because they saw this coming.

wolvored

Its very similar to all forums if you care to look. Of course fans/people on here are going to moan when we play shit time and again like now, yet were the complete opposite 3 months ago. It would be a very boring place if everyone was 'meh' all of the time

Kemizee

Nope. Not at all. On the other hand, Redcafe has made me love United even more and more especially during the grim days of LVG, Moyes and Jose. The transfer muppetry on here is second to none as well.

Even on bad performance days, I still come on here and read the comments, observations and analysis of informed posters.

The 'crazy and silly', posters as well all contribute to making this place lively.

Lots of humor, sarcasm, belief, positivity and camaraderie too.

God bless everyone on here, love you all from Nigeria and long may Redcafe continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Of course people have the right to challenge any view. But throwing out words like 'spoilt' or 'entitled' or just yelling 'get behind the manager' isn't the way to do that. If you did that in a pub you'd soon be drinking on your own.

As you say, it's reminiscent of the Brexit farce. Can't see how that's fun to be honest.
It’s fun because it’s sport at the end of the day , not life or death

Fridge chutney

Not at all. Still go to a lot of games (saving for a wedding at the moment, so not as many as I would like), still love watching United with my old man (after the Everton game we ate a lovely meal my mum had prepared in absolute silence :lol:) and still love the history and emotions of this club.

What it has made me don-is realise how many people just don’t get football. There are people nowadays who literally don’t get it. For example I saw a twitter thread the other day of a “Mourinho fan”. That’s what some people are. Fans of players or names.

They also can’t wait. If they don’t get their own way they strop and kick off. If a young player struggles they are shit and should be got rid of. It is impossible for them to accept a homegrown legend like Ole could do well as he isn’t a name.

I’ve seen fans insult and demean Ferguson and Charlton. I’ve seen fans worship random signings like Kagawa, Ibrahimovic and Di Maria because they were big names. I’ve seen fans criticising lads like Young even though he’s given everything he could and is just no longer good enough.

I remember threads criticising “zombie football” and our midfield during Ferguson’s tenure. I was called a “top red” for saying that we were class and that people should be happy. I’ve been criticised for saying getting rid of Welbeck and signing Falcao was a worrying sign of what was valued at the football club. I’ve seen posters calling Carrick “Carsick” and then later pining for him when he was retired.

Basically there’s a lot of idiotic fans here. Look at those now crying that Ole got the job. But I’m happy that i get it and they don’t. Must suck for them.
This post sums it up perfectly.

@Billy Blaggs , don't let some spoilt children on the internet ruin your relationship with the club.

Fridge chutney

Mine is the opposite - it’s soured me towards United fans.

That said, I think it’s teaching me about the stages we go through dependent on our age profiles. I first began posting on the caf as a 17 year old in 2004. Most of my views then were probably similar to the stuff I read now. And I remember an older group of fans at the time, those who had witnessed REAL Manchester United dark times looking down on spoilt fans for being so hysterical. We were lashing out every time we dropped points ‘this is the WORST this, and the WORST that’ - we were spoiled and entitled.

Fast-forward now to me being early 30s and I see myself taking on a different role. All everyone wants to do is tear the club down, jumping from one scapegoat to another. This player should ‘NEVER be at Manchester United, we have lost the plot’ - ‘why can’t we be more like Liverpool or City’ etc. I realise that the Liverpool everyone wants us to be more like have won nowhere near what we have won in my lifetime, likewise City - but it seems that there’s a younger group who think they should either stamp their feet or throw their toys to demand everything the beautiful game has to offer every season or else!

For me, I see it as a time to pull round the club more. I don’t even share this huge aim to find the ‘guilty party’ for our current woes, sometimes there is no obvious explanation. I was always told when Sir Alex was here that times would be tough when he leaves. And they have been, relatively. We’ve been in and around the top 4 since then, and not competed for a title. As much as I want us to win, this is part of the game. It’s just somebody else’s turn right now. I’ve seen periods where Real became a poor side, in the early to mid 00’s I think, I’ve seen periods where Bayern Munich couldn’t make the Champions League - and both these teams face nothing like the competition we face. We won’t always be able to hold such competition off every year, that’s just reality - and whether next year, or in 5 years, they won’t be able to hold us off any longer either. Every big club goes through these periods while they take a few years to gather themselves and come again. In every major league history will tell you that. In our own league, it is unique in that if you have a slump, it’s not just ‘the other team’ that moves ahead. It’s the ‘other 5’. That being said, I don’t think we’ve gone about the post-Fergie era as massively wrong as some do. I get irritated when I see what I suspect are a bunch of 22 year olds at best giving all of these speculative breakdowns and diagnosis of ‘how to run a major football club 101’, and telling everyone at operations level how they should be doing their jobs. Redcafe makes me feel old now basically, as the prevalent voice of whining and moaning reminds me of when I used to post as a teenager.
Candidate for post of the year!

I genuinely have nothing more to add to this thread. Well said.