Has Ronaldo ruined his legacy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalaysianRed7

People said that Ole was ruining his legacy just for not doing his job too well despite trying his best. If you were one of those, then there should be no other answer to the thread title for you but a resounding yes.

Glorio

Not for me. But that's simply because I never made him out to be anything other than what he was, and insanely talented, extremely driven footballer. I was a huge fan his first stint, as I was invested in seeing him flourish but even when he did in those glorious seasons, I never really pegged him as a team player.

I was hesitant when he came back as I've seen Portugal hampered by the "everyone pass to Ronaldo" tactic a good few times, but I hoped with good management and sensible players, we'd avoid that and he'd be able to add something to a growing team. We didn't avoid the route Ronaldo football and I quickly realised his net effect on the team was negative.

However, nothing he's done has surprised me, so I'm simply a United fan grateful for the good times he gave us but realistic to know that he's an issue right now, and he was last season as well despite the goals.

JustinC00

He ruined it when he called himself a slave playing for us in 2008 when he couldn't get his move to Madrid.

Interesting how both his United tenures will have ended in himself thinking we held him as a slave/prisoner. FECK HIM. If that's how he wants to refer to his time with us then I will start to refer to him as something that starts with an R and ends IST.

Djemba-Djemba

Interesting one.

With someone like Schweinsteiger or Blanc it's really easy - they were great players, I saw them in a Utd shirt, but they were not great United players because by the time they played in that shirt they were clearly on the decline.

Bit more complicated with the likes of Larsson or Cavani or Zlatan, certainly in parts they were still playing at a really high level, but by and large I think I'd say that they were great players who I saw be good, occasionally great, in a United shirt, but not great United players.

Ronaldo is different. I don't think many people would argue that he was at his best at United - clearly he played at his best, consistently, at Madrid. But was his level in 07/08 up there with the seasons that put him in the conversation for best of all time, or are we looking back knowing that's what he became and seeing something that (although a spectacular season) wasn't quite there?

For me it's the second one. There's no doubt he was special that year, but I've seen spectacular seasons from players in that shirt - and I've also seen players be consistently great in it, even if not to that level, which for me is a great player (as Ronaldo then was for Madrid).

This might be exactly what you meant with the way you phrased it, right? I would probably agree that Ronaldo is the best player (on the basis of his career as a whole) I've ever seen play for United. But not the best United player I've seen.
I think it's both.

What Utd player was better than Ronaldo was for utd from 2006-2009?

2006/7 and 2007/8 in particular he was the best player in the world.

Now I wouldn't have him anywhere close to my favourite ever Utd players, even before his return and all this fall out he still wouldn't have been. I just think for those two seasons he was the most exciting Utd player I've ever seen. The buzz at OT when he'd get the ball in those times was like nothing I've seen before or since.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I just saw the report that he refused to go on as a sub. That is it. The end. Cnut should be booted out of the club and all images of him erased. Fine him the rest of his wages till the end of his contract and kick his precious arse out of Carrington.

Irwin99

Not for me. But that's simply because I never made him out to be anything other than what he was, and insanely talented, extremely driven footballer. I was a huge fan his first stint, as I was invested in seeing him flourish but even when he did in those glorious seasons, I never really pegged him as a team player.

I was hesitant when he came back as I've seen Portugal hampered by the "everyone pass to Ronaldo" tactic a good few times, but I hoped with good management and sensible players, we'd avoid that and he'd be able to add something to a growing team. We didn't avoid the route Ronaldo football and I quickly realised his net effect on the team was negative.

However, nothing he's done has surprised me, so I'm simply a United fan grateful for the good times he gave us but realistic to know that he's an issue right now, and he was last season as well despite the goals.
Well put. I know football is an emotional game but i'm surprised people can't understand this about him. His almost insane appetite to be the best and his obnoxious selfishness is just the nature of the beast and as he's getting older it's just no longer worth putting up with anymore in the expectation that the good points outweigh the bad. I'm not defending him, i'm just saying "why are people surprised?". I find it very hard to hate him even if I don't like him or his behaviour sometimes.

144 goals, 4 United POTY awards in 7 and a bit seasons, 3 league titles and a champions league...I think it's fair to say we got our value out of buying that spotty Portuguese kid from Sporting.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The difference is Keano cared about the club's performance, and the players didn't mind being called out by their captain on standards which had slipped. ........
Not remotely the point. Keane blatantly disrespected his team mates publically and questioned the seriousness and competence of SAF himself and his staff like Quieroz. An offense deemed previous enough for Fergie and the club to sack him. No fan alive would dare use it to question his legacy.

Scholes himself played truant for a carling cup game. No one ever holds it against him

Anyone who actually believes what CR7 did is worse is straight up lying to themselves. I'm also pretty certain his team mates hardly paid attention to it. if anything they have taken note of the fact even he can't escape the long arm of the law by getting petulant and daring authority. Possibly even with glee. Thus I can't understand fans being more offended than I'm certain they were by the incident. Let alone talk of legacy tarnishing.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Scholes himself played truant for a carling cup game. No one ever holds it against him

Anyone who actually believes what CR7 did is worse is straight up lying to themselves.
Not only was the Scholes situation a one-off isolated incident, Scholes also didn't make a public show of refusing to play that game. He told Fergie privately that he wasn't travelling to the game. Whereas what Ronaldo did was a very deliberate way of publicly undermining the club. Therefore it's pretty obvious to see why so many United fans perceive Ronaldo's conduct to be worse than Scholes'.

Foxbatt

Not only was the Scholes situation a one-off isolated incident, Scholes also didn't make a public show of refusing to play that game. He told Fergie privately that he wasn't travelling to the game. Whereas what Ronaldo did was a very deliberate way of publicly undermining the club. Therefore it's pretty obvious to see why so many United fans perceive Ronaldo's conduct to be worse than Scholes'.
Of course it's worse. Keane gave an interview that was never broadcasted. Scholes as you said was a one off and he did it privately. Ronaldo did it twice. First time he was warned and now this. He is blowing a raspberry to the manager saying that he doesn't give a damn about the manager.

Will Singh

People said that Ole was ruining his legacy just for not doing his job too well despite trying his best. If you were one of those, then there should be no other answer to the thread title for you but a resounding yes.
Ole’s legacy is from him playing for us not managing us so completely different situations. With Ronnie he’s legacy as a player is still being written and him acting like a child will be added to that!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I know he lost a child. It’s probably a very lonely existence. He has to go, but it’s sad.

alexthelion

Looking back I'd rather him never returned even if that means we have to rely on the injury prone Twang because now I can't look at Ronaldo the same anymore. Sure he's always been arrogant but his abilities used to make up for it. You could say it's part of his charm, arrogant but top professional. Now he's fecking bad and doesn't want to admit it, guy is older than 90% of premier league and still thinks he needs to start every game. On top of performance issues, he keeps leaving matches early (disrespecting the manager).

Not to mention he also disrespected the club by bitching about not being in CL and wanting out even though he knew the state of the club before joining. It's the risk he took, which he got paid handsomely for and yet he has the audacity to be a spoilt old baby demanding CL football when no CL club wants him anyway. As far as I know, no one at United has ever disrespected him since his return. Even Ten Hag is still giving him chances.

I don't despise him but it's hard to see him as a club legend anymore. When he joined Real Madrid, at least we got money. Now he's not only draining money in salary but also stalling the progress of the squad as he's not suitable for Ten Hag tactics.
You can argue that if he left Juve for City, his legacy will also be ruined but at least he won't be our problem and City was going to win it with or without him anyway.
His bitching about being a slave soured it for me, let alone all his bs ths time round.

Gazza

Interesting one.

With someone like Schweinsteiger or Blanc it's really easy - they were great players, I saw them in a Utd shirt, but they were not great United players because by the time they played in that shirt they were clearly on the decline.

Bit more complicated with the likes of Larsson or Cavani or Zlatan, certainly in parts they were still playing at a really high level, but by and large I think I'd say that they were great players who I saw be good, occasionally great, in a United shirt, but not great United players.

Ronaldo is different. I don't think many people would argue that he was at his best at United - clearly he played at his best, consistently, at Madrid. But was his level in 07/08 up there with the seasons that put him in the conversation for best of all time, or are we looking back knowing that's what he became and seeing something that (although a spectacular season) wasn't quite there?

For me it's the second one. There's no doubt he was special that year, but I've seen spectacular seasons from players in that shirt - and I've also seen players be consistently great in it, even if not to that level, which for me is a great player (as Ronaldo then was for Madrid).

This might be exactly what you meant with the way you phrased it, right? I would probably agree that Ronaldo is the best player (on the basis of his career as a whole) I've ever seen play for United. But not the best United player I've seen.
Good post. That said, 2007/08 Ronaldo was the best individual season I’ve seen from a United player in my lifetime, personally.

TheRedHearted

I just laughed at it. Lad was on top of the world and he is falling at this point he’s falling, I cut him some slack. He’s been trying to work on his psychology and it’s not enough. I’ll always back the guy, he came back and instead of us getting a strong crosser of the ball and a dm we didn’t bring in much. Then the season fell to shit and they put in a very odd interim. We didn’t do enough, so there’s fault on both parts. He clearly isn’t up to it and he’s human, let him throw a fit.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Frankly I don't get this ' isolated incident " excuse. CR7 refusing to be a late sub IS an isolated incident. It s still just as wrong.

As for Scholes, he played truant for a match. There wasn't anything "private" about it. He just didn't show up. Openly disrespecting the team who were going to play and the manager. There is no logical way one can argue refusing to play a match isn't worse than refusing to be a late sub. It's even more hilarious for anyone to claim refusing to be a late sub 'undermines the club' in anyway, Other than just plain being an embarrassment for the one who has refused to step on pitch. Neither incident rises to that height..

In fact, Id argue I both Keane's which was intercepted before it became a full blown public disaster and Cantona's fan kick were more in the line of undermining the club and management. Yet neither incident has rightly mattered in terms of their legacy

I hope you saw what Roy Keane had to say about the Scholes incident yesterday. If you think the likes of Keane don't consider it worse....

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

Nah no way. Maradona was largely shite and troubled during later stage of his career, but Argentinian people/Napoli fans still worshipped him like God. Cantona cost us literally a title by getting banned kicking a fan on the stands, he is still king of Old Trafford. Legend will always be legend even they are going through all their troubles/downfall.
I think he was right for doing that Feck the Racist.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Frankly I don't get this ' isolated incident " excuse. CR7 refusing to be a late sub IS an isolated incident. It s still just as wrong.
Ronaldo leaving early against Spurs isn't an isolated incident: he also left the Rayo Vallecano game early.

I hope you saw what Roy Keane had to say about the Scholes incident yesterday. If you think the likes of Keane don't consider it worse....
Keane is clearly doing all he can to avoid criticising Ronaldo because he wants to stay on good terms with his ex teammate who was also one of the best footballers in history. When you say "the likes of Keane", you basically just mean only Roy Keane... right? You don't mean the vast majority of people who have said the opposite to Keane, including Neville, Stam, Ince.

Last edited:

Greck

No, not really. You have to compartmentalize those memories. The 00s CR7 is a different player. It's why I find it hard to be sentimental about the current version and have wanted him gone for a while. We are clearly being leached off of to enhance what is left. All these fans and pundits didn't want him at their club but are quick to lecture us on how to use him, it's like they think this is a charity organization.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It was always going to end this way, a lot of us said you sign a huge ego at the point in his career when he was likely to start being a bit part player would only end in disruption. But we were shouted down.

As for hurting history legacy, for me the club Ronaldo will most be associated with is Real Madrid not us. We were just a stepping stone for him.

Strelok

No.

He's been always like this nothing new nothing to ruin here.

krazyrobus

No

Always been an arrogant guy and had a brilliant last 3 years here during his first stint.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I replied to his weak apology on instagram saying just this - that he's in danger of tarnishing his legacy. Behaving like a petulant child meant he wasnt available to play from the bench vs Chelsea and we couldve done with him. Conversely, if he hadnt walked off, he couldve come on and been the hero! I'm hoping he puts his toys back in his pram and knuckles down :nono:

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Never ever considered Ronalso a United legend, a legendary player who played United yes. People have to remember that other players took a back seat to let Ronaldo shine in his first stint and the commitment that he showed regarding training back in the day is to be commended but it doesnt make him a legend. Regarding his legacy he is tarnishing it and if he wants to play Champions League football he is not helping hisself as other teams will be watching his petulance and say no we do not want him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's always been a petulant and narcissist. Really nothing new about. He's just past it, so his showing on the pitch doesn't make up for it. A Man Utd icon 100%. A legend. Not really, he's spent half his time here now trying to get a move away. For me to be a legend, you've got to have some genuine affection for the club and commitment and he doesn't. I know people can't point to George Best and all that and they have a point, but when Best scored that legendary solo goal in the MLS his 1st thought was if only he had scored that at OT. Doesn't take away from his professionalism of course. Bobby Charlton is considered the greater legend because of his dedication and professionalism. Anyway Ronaldo has a incredible legacy, it's just that as a Man Utd player, it's definitely tainted, but it doesn't mean that his achievements on the pitch are forgotten.

romufc

I really think the fans should think about this. We should stop singing VIVA Ronaldo when he plays.

A player that keeps disrespecting the club and fans should not be lauded on the pitch.

wangyu

He was never a legend in the first place, he left us in his prime and went on to become a Real Madrid legend. He then tried to join Man City and now he is acting like a spoiled entitled brat.

In the meantime our fans keep chanting en masse his songs making him feeling empowered. Braindead stuff.

I will cheer when he scores but that's it.

mshnsh

His football legacy? No. He will still be considered amongst the all time greats for his longevity and his incredible achievements.

His Man Utd legacy? If there was one, than yes. He first ruined it by going to Real Madrid and than combined summer antics plus his recent shenanigans completely destroys it.

mshnsh

Fanboy
The way United fans tend to treat Rooney - I don’t think being a United Legend is all that of an asset anyway.
Fanboy
I don't think so. You have to be able to seperate the person from the player and the player we had was an absolute joy to watch.

Someone like giggs is still a United legend but he's a trash human.

That's for me, I know other people won't see it that way.
Giggs is a legend because his trashy behaviour did not affect United. He did what he did on his personal space.

Ronaldo on the other hand has disrespected United several times. He forced his move to Madrid, he was ready to join City, he offered himself to clubs around Europe all summer and now is disrespecting his manager, teammates and the club by refusing to come on and walking away to the dressing room.

tomaldinho1

There was a reason prior to his return it was generally accepted he wasn’t a legend in the same tier as Eric, Robson, Scholes etc. he’d already ensured that with his antics to get the Real move.

World class player who was a big part of our lat period of real success but the relationship was already soured somewhat. We can all enjoy a siuuuu although they’re rare these days and also not belittle how incredible he was for us but his attitude this summer onwards is nothing short of disgraceful.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When he cried, moaned and said that he is a slave, he ruined his legacy. I was bemused all these years how United fans still love him after all that.
He was and is a legendary cnut for me and this summer just confirmed that.

But the thing which i still can't believe; after all this shit fans still sing Viva Ronaldo. Wtf?

RVN1991

The fanboys he has will always see him as god, personally I've disliked him since his slave comments. Such a disrespectful thing to say not only to the club that's paying you millions of dollars, to the supporters of that club and to people that have actually endured slavery. He's a cnut and can't wait for him to leave the club.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Was never a legend to begin with in my eyes.

A top player no doubt in his first stint but not a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.