g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Has the first game dampened your excitement for the season?

theatreofdreams777

No because we've been on a downward trajectory since April and my excitement for the new season was gone with the stupid summer we had. Glazers are still here and now looks like Maguire is staying too. How can you be positive about this season?

SirScholes

My feelings exactly. No signs whatsoever of any progress regarding possession, build up, attack patterns or midfield stability. A win is a win but we look way behind our rivals for CL-spots.
We’re level on points or two ahead

Cathy Ferguson

Yes massively.

Not so much the players looking completely off it because that can happen in a game.

But the Fernandes + Mount thing is a big problem that is going to make literally every game a massive struggle. Which is a dampener on two counts. Firstly because its going to make every single game a struggle, and secondly because I'd been convinced Ten Hag was a very good manager, and this is simply not something a good manager would do.
This. Yesterday confirmed what a lot of fans have been saying about our midfield the whole summer. Signing Mount does not make much sense but ETH has made his call and we just have to see how it pans out. His decision to sign Antony casts a dark shadow over his judgement.

peridigm

If this performance was on 31st August, I would probably be concerned. We have time to fix what needs to be fixed. Like a lot of people are saying Wolves traditionally give us a hard time although that shouldn’t be an excuse for this team.
You really think the owners are going to "fix" anything?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
They also have to adjust to the new keeper. He's excellent BTW but he didn't join up with the defenders as an extra man outside the box much last night.

leeroyTX

No. Played like s*** and still managed 3 points. I still trust that ETH will figure out what needs to be done and fix it. I'd be willing to bet we'll see the better version of them this Saturday against Spurs.

chay chay okocha

While I'm concerned about the performance and the suitability of our players to the tactical set up we saw against Wolves, I remain optimistic about the season as a whole. I am excited to see how ETH implements a new approach with his new players, and I think he has more than enough credit in the bank for fans to show a bit more patience and trust. Maybe its a function of age, but I find myself being much less reactionary to individual results and performances these days.

pascell

I didn't have any excitement anyway, Mount is going to be a flop, he was trash for England during the WC in the exact same position, he's a no.10, not an 8.

Bruno shouldn't have been made captain, he's a whinging baby and he is nowhere near United captain material, he's got it as he's a dressing room favourite, you need to be more than that to be a United captain.

Onana is clumsy, he's going to make howlers and cost us points, just like de Gea.

We still don't play with a style of play, last night was kamikaze and that's only going to lead to another 7-0 hiding somewhere along the way this season.

caid

It was a bit of a warning shot. This squad isn't the finished article and still looks a bit patchwork. Its another season of grinding results every week with no easy matches. I think i kind of expected that.

Dominos

Kinda accurate....
"Is this some sick joke, haven't we just seen this exact fecking highlight" :lol:

Just sums it up perfectly, I couldn't believe what I was watching as they walked straight through our midfield for the 50th time.

Hostekule

My expectations weren't high to begin with, cause we don't have a proper striker playing yet. I'm satisfied with another top 4(5) season, and go for the title next season.

USREDEVIL

Honestly i'm a bit underwhelmed by our transfers.
Onana is great. Great acquisition.
Hojlund? Who knows. Could be great or go south.
Mount = meh. Not sure he's shown anything over Fred or McT. Hope he comes good but so far very mediocre.

Bobade

It has for me. I know it is knee jerk and probably irrational, but to see the absolute state of that performance, then be reminded that our set up is barely any different to last season was depressing.

Contrast that with Newcastle's opening game, for example, and it just put expectations on the floor.

Zora

I know it's really boring to hear people say it's just one game.

But it really is just one game.
Exactly this.

Even if we play like crap at the weekend, it’s still very early in the season.

IF we’re still playing poorly after 6-7 matches, I will be concerned.

But this place gets annoyed when we haven’t scored after 5 minutes so it’s no surprise really.

ScholesyTheWise

I just found it strange how many posters here were expecting us to go on a decent CL run, win a cup, and finish in the top 2-3...
It can happen but we'll need many stars aligning our way for that to happen.
I actually expected (and still expect) us to stall and maybe go a bit backward.

The midfield is lacking, the attack is very worrying. defense and GK are fine, we can always upgrade on anyone in theory, but all things considered, that's not where our problems lie.

I didn't and still don't know whether Arsenal and Newcastle will be able to replicate last year's form. But I imagined United fighting for top 5 this season, rather than top 2-3. And I imagined us having a very very hard time against the likes of Spurs, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle (and Arse and City).
I figured at least one of Pool or Chelsea will get back to being a team that is good enough for top 4 throughout the season.

So there were many reasons for me to think that the coming season will be a 'meh' one.
We're not there yet. Many games will be painful to watch.
We can win a cup, we can reach a CL round of 16 / quarter... won't be pretty, but doable nonetheless.

We're still not a very good team all things considered.

The opening game was an absolute disaster, and I hope the next time we look like crap will still have us playing better football.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Yes, I am concern with lack of movement with defender aren't to pass out. I am concern that Wolves players are allowed to cut thru defense so easily. I am concern that we still have no proper striker upfront. I am concern with effectiveness of Mount from preseason until 1st game. I am concern with same old Antony from last season. I am concern with Rashford going back to 2021 form. Seems there so many things to address so buying a MF and CB won't solve these problems. We need another 500 million to resolve this. 100 million for each position, RW, RB, MF, CB and CF. Once done, we need replacement for Casemiro, Eriksen, Varane and Bruno as they age. Never ending problems.

Gums

Not at all. I think a few things played into the wobbly start:

• Wolves weren’t as rudderless and chaotic as many seem to believe. According to reports, Lopetegui was in charge until they hired his replacement about a week ago. Despite the players that left, they are a well-organised team.
  • We bought into the narrative they’d be all over the place. So, we expected to dominate and set out with an offensive midfield, which Wolves seemingly predicted and almost took advantage of.
  • We didn’t look fresh. Maybe the extensive traveling, maybe just bad timing. Either way, those heavy legs will disappear soon.
  • Fernandes and Mount haven’t found a balance or understanding yet. I expect them to improve this soon.
If we had lost, it’d be different, but we didn’t. We won our first match of the season. On track for glory.

Waynne

No not dampened my mood because despite being poor we still managed to come away with the 3 points.

At the end of the day that's all that matters. I don't care if we have another 20 games like this as long as we get the 3 points.

Also the team will get better. I can't believe the amount of doom and gloom after 1 game.

ONE. FECKING. GAME !!!

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

city-puma

I just found it strange how many posters here were expecting us to go on a decent CL run, win a cup, and finish in the top 2-3...
It can happen but we'll need many stars aligning our way for that to happen.
I actually expected (and still expect) us to stall and maybe go a bit backward.

The midfield is lacking, the attack is very worrying. defense and GK are fine, we can always upgrade on anyone in theory, but all things considered, that's not where our problems lie.

I didn't and still don't know whether Arsenal and Newcastle will be able to replicate last year's form. But I imagined United fighting for top 5 this season, rather than top 2-3. And I imagined us having a very very hard time against the likes of Spurs, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle (and Arse and City).
I figured at least one of Pool or Chelsea will get back to being a team that is good enough for top 4 throughout the season.

So there were many reasons for me to think that the coming season will be a 'meh' one.
We're not there yet. Many games will be painful to watch.
We can win a cup, we can reach a CL round of 16 / quarter... won't be pretty, but doable nonetheless.

We're still not a very good team all things considered.

The opening game was an absolute disaster, and I hope the next time we look like crap will still have us playing better football.
Newcastle added depth with quality. They will be there. Arsenal is hard to say. They lost Xaka whose importance to them might be underestimated, imo.
The competition in the league is even more fierce this season.

always_hoping

I was one
No not dampened my mood because despite being poor we still managed to come away with the 3 points.

At the end of the day that's all that matters. I don't care if we have another 20 games like this as long as we get the 3 points.

Also the team will get better. I can't believe the amount of doom and gloom after 1 game.

ONE. FECKING. GAME !!!

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:
Nothing new on here with some posters, heads was exploding all over the place when United started last season by losing to Brighton at home and getting hammered by Brentford in the following game, yet United did get better to finish 3rd and win a trophy.

Last edited:

redshaw

No I was expecting it really. I brought up before the game how Wolves last season edged the midfield, two seasons ago we had Wolves having like 19 shots to our 9.

Looking ahead we're kind of reliant on Hojlund hitting the ground running, a 20 year old that looks really promising but sadly not available right now, Case getting his match fitness. Perhaps a stronger Sancho adding some much needed craft. I can see what ETH wants out of Mount but could take a while for it to work.

We could find it difficult to hold our own in the top 4-5 this season as others are really making big moves. a Case injury we're looking so bad again, I hope we have someone coming in. The transfer window and limbo club sale hasn't been good. Our passing and movement is not good enough and probably won't be overcome for a couple of years.

Tyrion

No it didn't. I've watched enough football to know one game means nothing. We finished 3rd last year despite being trashed repeatedly.

Its a marathon not a sprint. Tell that to the knee jerkers though. If we won 4-0, they'd be talking about a league and CL double.

frostbite

Yes massively.

Not so much the players looking completely off it because that can happen in a game.

But the Fernandes + Mount thing is a big problem that is going to make literally every game a massive struggle. Which is a dampener on two counts. Firstly because its going to make every single game a struggle, and secondly because I'd been convinced Ten Hag was a very good manager, and this is simply not something a good manager would do.
I agree with this. I can't see how Bruno+Mount+Casemiro will work. Casemiro is too slow, and he will become slower due to his age. Mount is too similar to Bruno, but worse. If Casemiro was younger and faster, this might work, but not now. And due to the fact that Bruno is the captain and Mount is ETH's (expensive) decision, we are going to see these three many times together. Add Antony (who is also ETH's boy and he is going to get many starts) and our midfield seems suspect.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yep. No improvement in play style and the dumb idea of playing two no.10s in the midfield is something I'm not going to put up with. Eriksen was a bad idea anyways last season and we just bought another one with legs.

I dont know when we will have a management that emphasises on having a solid midfield. That wont get overrun by relegation favorites. feck this shit.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That game was trash, but in the grand scheme of things it means nothing, esp. since we tortured all three points out of it.

My pessimism comes from key departures falling through:

1. If club was able to sell Maguire, McT, Henderson that is 30+30+20 = 80 millions we could spend on at least two good footballers we really need, instead of keeping the overpaid trio that we have zero use for. Not even mentioning Donny not selling
2. If Glazers had left or were giving any indication that they will be gone by Jan transfer window - we could be more positive about the season

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I was rather cautious considering the preseason but still somehow than an OT game would switch things up. What a massive let down and already I'm dreading this season

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Transfer window so far has dampened my expectations. We're falling behind, and we're signing too many tier 2 players since Ten Hag joined.

The only preseason game I saw was vs Lens. And we were much much better there against a opponent who is better than this Wolverhampton side is. So one game doesn't say much atm.
Have we really? Not in the first half when Lens played exactly like Wolves and we couldn't do anything about it. They opened in second half because, well, why not in a preseason game.
Check the Lens game thread. A lot of concerns about this approach was expressed after that game. Those concerns are very valid.

bringbackbebe

The part that was worrying was we turned up to the game almost as if we had no pre-season whatsoever. I'm not otherwise worried since that game wasn't a representation of us.

ScholesyTheWise

Transfer window so far has dampened my expectations. We're falling behind, and we're signing too many tier 2 players since Ten Hag joined.
Yeah, it's also been concerning me. I have a lot of faith in ETH, but recruitment has been disappointing, whether he had alot to do with or or not we cant tell from the outside.

But we're in a situation (and have been for the last 10 years) where these "Tier 2-3 players who might be able to make it into top players" don't really have time to settle in and take it easy.

If Onana isn't playing like a top GK this season, we're fecked. If Hojlund takes a lot of time to find his feet (very likely), we're also hurt badly.

Mount- there seem to be few fans who understand and also believe in this signing. I'm puzzled by it but will reserve judgment as I'm yet to see him play on a weekly basis. but I'm fully in the "Bruno-Mount-Casemiro midfield will never work" camp :(

The less said about the Antony signing the better.

At least Martinez is class.

Not all signings have been bad- far from it- but our squad and the level of expectations around the clubs are such that our signings just have to be spot on each time - quality and price-wise - and that'll never happen.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes because I couldn’t understand why ETH wanted Mount despite me thinking he’s a good player, I didn’t see how it works. So I was hoping that it would prove me completely wrong in some way I hadn’t imagined. Now I’m worried I was right and what is there beyond Casemiro Mount Bruno?

Also hoped that the captaincy would galvanise Bruno and sort out his utterly erratic performances. Nope.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah, it's also been concerning me. I have a lot of faith in ETH, but recruitment has been disappointing, whether he had alot to do with or or not we cant tell from the outside.

But we're in a situation (and have been for the last 10 years) where these "Tier 2-3 players who might be able to make it into top players" don't really have time to settle in and take it easy.

If Onana isn't playing like a top GK this season, we're fecked. If Hojlund takes a lot of time to find his feet (very likely), we're also hurt badly.

Mount- there seem to be few fans who understand and also believe in this signing. I'm puzzled by it but will reserve judgment as I'm yet to see him play on a weekly basis. but I'm fully in the "Bruno-Mount-Casemiro midfield will never work" camp :(

The less said about the Antony signing the better.

At least Martinez is class.

Not all signings have been bad- far from it- but our squad and the level of expectations around the clubs are such that our signings just have to be spot on each time - quality and price-wise - and that'll never happen.
Well I'm not sure about the bolded part, Casemiro/Martinez/Antony were given some time to settle in and did it quite nicely.
The problem, players who might be able to make it to top which we've bought since ETH joined are Martinez, Casemiro and Onana (from what I've seen so far). Big, big question marks over Hojlund, honestly I don't want to sound pessimistic but I see nothing special in that guy so he gets the benefit of the doubt. Antony, the less said the better.

I really don't know how to classify Mount. On individual level I rate him quite high and would put him in tier 1, I just don't know how he fits us.

I don't get our transfer strategy to be honest. On one hand we can't afford top tier striker but we could afford Antony for close to 100m last season. We laugh at Chelsea for spending hundreds of millions but they are actually buying players that we should be after (if we could afford them), but we are happy to splash 80m for totally unproven striker who didn't even play full season as main striker? I don't see any logic here. Maybe the problem is with ownership mess.

Last edited:

Red Rash

I'm not too worried yet as it's just the first game and we were also horrendous at the start of last season.

In terms of our defense, one the team are match fit I think we are very strong in this area. A back 5 of Onana, AWB ( or Dalot), Varane, Martinez and Shaw is one of the best in the league and Casemiro protecting them makes us strong in this part of the pitch.

The midfield is a bit of an issue but I'm feeling optimistic we will sign Amrabat which will give us a bit more balance especially in away games. Mount is still new to the team and I think Fernandes and Mount need to get used to each other's game with at least one taking a deeper role to make it work.

The attack vs Wolves all played poor but we know Garnacho is much better than he showed and Rashford is better on the left rather than centrally. We also have Hojlund to come in and I think Amad can be quite impactful this season once he returns from injury. I'd still ideally like one more experienced striker to help us out with scoring goals though.

gajender

We could easily end up 8th or 9th, without quality cover for Varane and Casemiro. Why buy Mount for 55 Mill and not address this.
If you have so little faith in our Current Squad and the Manager then I don't think Our game against Wolves dampened anything it only reinforced your Outlook for the season .

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Nah not really, but then I didn’t have any expectations at all. Completely underwhelmed by our signings apart from the keeper so it felt like last season again. Well… towards the end of the season where we stuttered.

stoinz

Not really, I'm actually still quite excited. We haven't unleash Hojlund yet. Our midfield is a mess because our front 3 is still in a mess, there is simply no one to pass to on occasion. Hojlund will allow Rashford to play his natural position and Antony will have a target to pass to rather than going back each time.

But if Hojlund turns out crap which there is a chance he might be, then my season is ruined. Until he plays and turn out crap, he will be the key to unlock our potential in my mind.

Godfather

Didn't expect much anyway with the Glazers still here and the average transfer window. So no, pretty much as expected