Has the first game dampened your excitement for the season?

ScholesyTheWise

Well I'm not sure about the bolded part, Casemiro/Martinez/Antony were given some time to settle in and did it quite nicely.
The problem, players who might be able to make it to top which we've bought since ETH joined are Martinez, Casemiro and Onana (from what I've seen so far). Big, big question marks over Hojlund, honestly I don't want to sound pessimistic but I see nothing special in that guy so he gets the benefit of the doubt. Antony, the less said the better.

I really don't know how to classify Mount. On individual level I rate him quite high and would put him in tier 1, I just don't know how he fits us.

I don't get our transfer strategy to be honest. On one hand we can't afford top tier striker but we could afford Antony for close to 100m last season. We laugh at Chelsea for spending hundreds of millions but they are actually buying players that we should be after (if we could afford them), but we are happy to splash 80m for totally unproven striker who didn't even play full season as main striker? I don't see any logic here. Maybe the problem is with ownership mess.
I don't think Antony's best ability will be enough to be an effective winger for us, so even if he did settle nicely (and kudos for him), I'm not excited by it.
Casemiro and Martinez - well they just HAD to show good ability early into their first season in England, and luckily for us they did. that's what I meant-

With how the squad currently is, we can't afford our signings to only become good in the 2nd or 3rd season, as will happen with many of them because this is how things normally are.

Lentwood

Good post. Realistic... I suppose I just expect much more from Man Utd, just tired of a decade of poor club (corporate, signings, managers..) management. That's where the frustration lies. But we kept working on Monday and we won, those are tremendous qualities.. not too long ago we would have been turned over in such a match, it's taken a couple of days for me to reflect upon that, and this is important because fighting for the club is why I love Man Utd. And it's why I don't accept players who don't try, I have no time for them.

ETH and the coaching staff will learn so much from that game, so I don't expect such a performance against Spurs. We will be much better, a very good game for us in many ways.

But, but... we still have to make changes. We do. Some players aren't showing up. Why can't Sancho just work much harder? He's too busy trying to be Dennis Bergkamp... just work your socks off for 90minutes for a few games, how about that? Then take it from there.
I think better times are ahead. Woodward and Judge leaving was monumental for the club. Its not really talked about enough but can't be underestimated how much Ed Woodward was personally responsible the decade of mismanagement.

Slowly but surely we're building a better, more resilient squad. Transfers in and out are more efficient. Wage structure is returning to some sort of sensible base. Bad apples are being moved on.

That won't necessarily translate into trophies overnight though, because the competition is strong.

justsomebloke

I've been wavering between genuine hope and deep scepticism all summer really, so I'm not sure how much excitement there was in the first place. Although up to the Wolves game, things were definitely trending in the direction of hope.

Iron rule though: After round 4 is when to first take serious stock. If we're on a flat or downwards trajectory by that point, I will be seriously worried.

micmac

You really think the owners are going to "fix" anything?
No but ETH can work on changing up his tactics to avoid what went on in this game. Can't really think of a solution but he is the manager and he still have time to tinker.

dalriada

We failed to sell Williams, Maguire, Scott, Bailly, Henderson, Martial - that is inexcusable imo.

A tonne of wages and squad places wasted.
It looks as if Bailly is on his way and we've sold Bishop and Kovář, Mastný has left and Heaton is injured, so Henderson presumably isn't going anywhere yet. I doubt if Martial is really saleable at the moment and Williams won't make much difference financially (and Malacia is injured). I suspect Scott will stay as midfield backup unless he really wants a move himself or there is an offer for him we can't turn down. That really only leaves Maguire as the one I think we really want to shift and haven't. Plus Donny.

Ole'sattheWheel

I'm generally quite patient with a slow start to the season, especially since we started so badly last year and picked up quite well. However with how we ended last season, how mediocre the preseason was and now that opener... I wouldn't say it's dampened my excitement, more just I've been burned too many times over the years now to even really get properly excited like I used to anymore.
I think getting older doesn't help much either as depressing as it sounds :lol:. I can't really spend as much time being into football like I used to in my late teens and 20s.

Constable Odo

The fact those evil leprechauns are still hanging around like a bad case of the shits meant I was never excited for the season. Change all the managers and players in the world but things will never truly be better until the Glazers are gone.