Has the Palace result finally woken us up to reality?

PureCantona7

You know for these teams with 'low blocks', why don't we take long shots? All we do is try walk things in and even then we can't do that.

That's what p****** me off about Pogba 80mil or whatever he can't take long shots?? I swear for Juve weren't those the type of goals he scored?

Instead we rely on young Mc to take banana shots.

You would think Neuer is in goal for them.

My one critic of Ole yesterday was he takes so long with his subs and even then Pereira would have been a better choice because of his long shots.

Spending 90 mins doing the same thing, your're just giving the opposition an easy ride.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think about it - how can you constantly play well whilst not winning and then conjure up 3 wins in 15? I'll give you a hint, we're not playing well.
This a new season, a fresh start, Ole's first pre season here. Let's not include shit from last season but conveniently leave out his opening 3 months where we basically won every game. So I'm not looking at anything from a squad that he had no control over the build up of or one that he only came in and had to do what he could to get the morale up and that's it. At least now, first chance he got we know he fixed the CB position and the RB position as well as adding a pacey winger in attack.

So yeah, give it some time this season. Anyone level headed can see that last season is harsh as feck to judge him off of, because he took over half way through a season after a disastrous regime. Everyone all said when he took over it was a free hit for half a season, yet after that half season where OVERALL we were only behind City and Liverpool in pretty much most stats, as well as making a CL quarter final, people start bashing him like crazy? Just don't really think anything that happened last season is relevant to the current situation. And the current one is one where plenty of United fans should be very optimistic IMO. Not perfect, but who was really expecting that all things considered?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We had the same shots on target as Palace did. We didn't play well, hell yesterday looked akin to LVG at times with the ball just being rolled around the back line for periods of time. We had absolutely no bite nor threat through the middle against that low block. Yesterday was a literal fecking blueprint for every smaller side barring those around our position with pretensions of being able to attack us to come to Old Trafford and get points. Yesterday we gave the entire bottom half of the table a solid gold game plan and proof that we don't seem to know how to counter it effectively.
People need to stop bringing up shots on target like that's a meaningful stat for creativity. That just measures how accurately your players can shoot. A shot hitting the post isnt a shot on target, while a shot from range that barely reaches the keeper is a shot on target. It's a dumb stat to bring up and just emphasises it was poor finishing rather than poor chance creation yesterday. Play yesterdays game 10 times with the same chances and we'd have a comfortable win 9 times out of 10. That's literally all it was.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Woken you up to the reality that if the opposition are allowed to kick you off the pitch, and get away with multiple clear red card offences and a penalty, you won't get a result? Despite VAR...

Granted Utd defending was poor for first goal, and needed to kick Zaha down in last break.Utd are surely winning the game playing against 10 men, then 9 men and with an extra penalty.

You got done, pure and simple.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
People need to stop bringing up shots on target like that's a meaningful stat for creativity. That just measures how accurately your players can shoot. A shot hitting the post isnt a shot on target, while a shot from range that barely reaches the keeper is a shot on target. It's a dumb stat to bring up and just emphasises it was poor finishing rather than poor chance creation yesterday. Play yesterdays game 10 times with the same chances and we'd have a comfortable win 9 times out of 10. That's literally all it was.
We played yesterdays game three times this season - 1 win out of 3.

Devil may care

You mustn't have listened to the United Hour podcast lately then. They all firmly expected 3rd or 4th at least.
You're right, I haven't. Isn't it the sites official podcast though? If so then it's what I expect as the site always leans towards the overly positive.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Totally agree with you. The word 'if' is often the best friend of a football fan in denial. 'If' Rashford had scored the penalty we would have drawn, 'if' Cahill had been sent off we would have won, 'if' Sir Alex Ferguson came out of retirement the glory days would be back again. The wonderful thing about 'if' is that it is means that people never have to confront reality and can instead simply ignore or avoid it. That is just the delusional world that Liverpool fans occupied for decades until they won the champions league.

The truth is that we had three shots on target (the same as Palace) playing against a Palace side shorn or Aaron Wan-Bissaka, with Wilf Zaha still smarting over his inability to secure a summer move and coming off the back of a defeat at Sheffield United. Let's stop the excuses, we should have beaten Palace out of sight. The fact that we could not should worry every United fan.

I refuse to become accustomed to failure, nor am I willing to accept excuses for it. I do not expect us to win every game and am realistic enough to know that there will be times when even with our best endeavours we will lose. However, playing against a weakened Crystal Palace side at Old Trafford, with more than 70 per cent of possession is a game that I expect us to win.
That’s all spot on. Losers make excuses and winners win.

jackal&hyde

Did you read your post before you sent it? I mean that with all due respect.

In effect you are suggesting that Manchester United and Manchester United fans should accept the fact that we are incapable to breaking down a Crystal Palace side at Old Trafford and should therefore accept that defeat against Palace is the best that we should expect? If that is what you are implying, it is utter madness. Please forgive the colourful language here but that Palace side should have been sent out in body bags. When did the expectations of United fans get so low that we are making excuses for not being able to beat Crystal Palace at Old Trafford?
I was writing during summer of how important it is to buy a top creative mid or a number 10. We did not. What do you expect fans to do? What i see in terms of action is a bunch of idiots abusing players on social media, making a bad situation worse.

The transfer window is closed and our nr 10 solutions are as bad as we already knew from last year. My only creative criticism that i can give is to write and hope that Gomes gets his chance ASAP.

Handré1990

Don’t know exactly what we’re supposed to wake up to? Most posters, me included, seem to understand that we’re going to be in a fight for top 4.

There have been several threads, and posts throughout several more or less related threads on how we’d struggle against low, packed defences. Shouldn’t really come as a shock to anyone. We lack that class, or extra spark to consistently unlock tight defences.

Was actually an interesting take on this before the game on Norwegian TV. It’s not rocket science. Lingard is occupying the most important attacking position in the system we attempt at playing, and he has what, 1 goal and a couple of assists in a year’s worth of football. I couldn’t help but think that James was wasted in the set up yesterday as well, despite the goal.

With all the rational stuff out of the way, how about the ref yesterday? I really can’t remember a ref doing a reverse homer in such a big way.

fastwalker

Don’t know exactly what we’re supposed to wake up to? Most posters, me included, seem to understand that we’re going to be in a fight for top 4.

There have been several threads, and posts throughout several more or less related threads on how we’d struggle against low, packed defences. Shouldn’t really come as a shock to anyone. We lack that class, or extra spark to consistently unlock tight defences.

Was actually an interesting take on this before the game on Norwegian TV. It’s not rocket science. Lingard is occupying the most important attacking position in the system we attempt at playing, and he has what, 1 goal and a couple of assists in a year’s worth of football. I couldn’t help but think that James was wasted in the set up yesterday as well, despite the goal.

With all the rational stuff out of the way, how about the ref yesterday? I really can’t remember a ref doing a reverse homer in such a big way.
You have made a good point about the ref. We might have had another penalty, Cahill should have been sent off and Dan James should not have been booked. However, with more than 70 per cent possession we managed the same number of shots on target as Crystal Palace (a side who are likely to be in a relegation battle this season). With or without the referee, Palace should have been beaten out of sight. Bad as he was, I will not blame the referee for the fact that we failed to do with him, what we should have done without him.

Handré1990

You have made a good point about the ref. We might have had another penalty, Cahill should have been sent off and Dan James should not have been booked. However, with more than 70 per cent possession we managed the same number of shots on target as Crystal Palace (a side who are likely to be in a relegation battle this season). With or without the referee, Palace should have been beaten out of sight. Bad as he was, I will not blame the referee for the fact that we failed to do with him, what we should have done without him.
Well, that was kind of besides the point. It’s the three first paragraphs where I adress the point. We knew all of this (or should’ve). We’re going to have games like this with this particular team of players.

cyberman

We dominated that game, so no.
If we keep playing like this then we will be infinitely be better off than last season.

Devil may care

This site's podcast I think. It's good to be fair.
Oh I'm not saying it isn't, I've never listened to it, I just think the approach from the site overseers is always towards the overly positive and I get that, but I find it hard to believe any fan looked at that squad when the transfer window closed and truly believed in their heart of hearts that getting top 4 wasn't going to be a struggle.

SirAnderson

Are we really blaming Fergie for our fall from grace? :nervous: Don't feel like creating a thread, cause I'm afraid to really know what people think. Already two folk responded to my early post stating exactly that.
Yeah sure he didn't leave it the best ever, but ffs its the clubs duty to keep the continued success. Bloody hell.

Robbie Boy

Not sure what anyone has woken up to? I went into this season expecting a sixth place finish. I’ll be honest, the Chelsea result made me giddy but it was yet another false dawn.

It’s clear as day we are stuck in an endless loop of shite football from the early 00’s and it doesn’t look like changing. Literally all the problems of the past 5/6 years remain. Slow, stagnant buildup play, looking cluelsss when we get near the oppositions box and stupid errors at the back.

Nickthepip

The reality is that two teams in the league are far better than the rest and we’re in a bun fight for top four.

Stubble

Its a long season... if Ole is expecting pressing energetic football and once the EL kicks in so will the injuries and our squad depth/bench now is just pants tbh and that is what will cost us in the end. Injuries to Shaw and Martial potentially already and we are left with the option of past it players and rookie kids.
Letting senior attacking/MF players go with zero replacements but retaining 7 (mostly useless) CBs shows the absolute state we are at.
Loaning out Sanchez in the current situation beggars belief - at least he's another senior 'option'.
The kids may save us in the end but we are looking at 2/3 seasons (minimum) of abject misery before that possibility ..
Top 4 is just a pipedream i'm afraid.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Top 4 is just a pipedream i'm afraid.
No it isn't. As the post before yours says, there are 2 teams that are miles better than everybody else. The rest are fighting for position.

I see nothing to suggest that our competitors don't have their own problems to contend with.

Robbie Boy

No it isn't. As the post before yours says, there are 2 teams that are miles better than everybody else. The rest are fighting for position.

I see nothing to suggest that our competitors don't have their own problems to contend with.
Yup, as terrible as we have looked, we could have conceivably won three out of three. Unfortunately we’re a-bit shit up front, in midfield and at the back so that didn’t happen.

But yeah, Chelsea and Arsenal look fairly wank so far as do Spurs. Bar Liverpool and City, and I don’t think anyone else is ‘way’ ahead of us. Although Spurs are settled with a manager that’s been there a long time so I expect them to click and definitely finish above us. The other two are just as shite as us despite Arsenal’s massively overrated attack.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yup, as terrible as we have looked, we could have conceivably won three out of three. Unfortunately we’re a-bit shit up front, in midfield and at the back so that didn’t happen.

But yeah, Chelsea and Arsenal look fairly wank so far as do Spurs. Bar Liverpool and City, and I don’t think anyone else is ‘way’ ahead of us. Although Spurs are settled with a manager that’s been there a long time so I expect them to click and definitely finish above us. The other two are just as shite as us despite Arsenal’s massively overrated attack.
Spurs had 2 shots on target today. It happens when your opponent wants to defend in numbers.

So far this season I've seen us be slightly fortunate but very clinical against Chelsea, completely outplay a pretty good Wolves team for 80 minutes and suffer a bad loss at home when it's widely accepted we suffered from some really, really poor decisions by the officials.

We've scored 6 goals and missed 2 penalties. Had our own woodwork hit quite a few times as well. I haven't spent 1 minute of any game bored yet, and being bored had become a very common state of mind in the last few seasons. I'll take that

ryansgirl

Just for the record I have represented Ulster in Baseball and also played Football for The the Irish colleges in 1993
Fine - but judging from your post you would be the last person we'd think had experience playing at that kind of level. Bold letters and caps rubbishing our lads for a game that could have just as easily gone our way. I realise we need less of those games but after only 3 games, it's a farce that those who claim to support Manchester United are so quick to sling such crap at our team. There's always the Blue side of Manchester for those who are prone to writing off their club when things aren't going well.

Last edited:

Johnbouche

The whining on this forum is unbelievable. We are 3 games in and we have played decent football for the most part and been extremely unlucky not to win all 3 matches, if the penalties go in it a whole different story. If we win at Southampton on Saturday we are in a decent position going forward. No one expected us to compete with Liverpool or Man City this season so it not exactly a surprise that we will be in battle with the rest for 3rd. I dont think we are any worse than Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal they will all drop points against the smaller teams.

The positive to take is we are at the start of a re-building job, with a new ethos on the players we sign. I like the direction we are going and our average is age very young but these boys will grow together in to a good team with the right additions. The squad is along way from being right and it will take a few transfer windows to put a good team together but I do feel the tide is slowly turning.

In the first season of the Class of 92 they didn't exactly get off to a flyer, a little patience is needed with the young lads.

I believe Ole will eventually take one for the team by blooding the youngsters, he will likely lose his job in a year or two but I think the team he will leave behind will have a core with a hell a lot potential that the next manger will walk in and start to win things.

Last edited:
Reactions: roonster09

Cypherage

It's going to take a good few transfer windows before United even compete for top 4, defence has still not been resolved with the LB position still being an issue, Luke Shaw is alright, but that's about it, he could easily be replaced or have someone else fighting for his position(not Young).

Also, question marks remain over DDG, will his form actually improve? will he even sign a new contract?

Midfield needs a complete overhaul, Matic, Fred and Mata could easily be sold, but United have not replaced Herrera or Fellaini, the midfield looks thread bear, Mctominay has improved, but the last two games has looked lost, personally, some might disagree but I would sell Pogba within the next transfer window, and bring in both Bruno & Maddison, along with 1 or 2 others.

United are seeing plenty of the ball, but lack that final killer touch, in my own opinion, Martial is better than Rashford, has better ball control and does not attempt as many stupid flicks or long shots, I suppose you can say he is a bit more mature in his overall game.

So bringing in another striker wouldn't go amiss either, would like to see Gomes & Chong get more game time though, they can't do any worse than the current lot.