Have we been underestimating United's worth? Chelsea sold for £2.5BN (plus £1.75BN pledge) makes United worth how much?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No need for more than the title: what the hell is going on where Chelsea sell for that much, and what does that make us worth?

finneh

I thought the deal was £2.5b with the new owners investing £1.75b in the club?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Here in the US clubs that are in the most desirable cities generally sell for a large premium. LA, NYC, Florida etc. I imagine its the same in the UK. A club like ours in London is much more valuable to a foreign investor than one elsewhere.

That it’s not only a club in London but the best club in London adds even more value. New owner doesn’t have to spend years building it up.

Tavern in the town

The actual sale was £2.5bn, the rest of the £1.75bn is what the new ownership have pledged to invest into the club over the next 10 years.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
2.5bn valuation on Chelsea sees United valued at 3.5 to 4bn I reckon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
2.5bn valuation on Chelsea sees United valued at 3.5 to 4bn I reckon.
United will always go for more than what Chelsea sold for, unless something drastically goes wrong with the club. At 4bn United won't have trouble finding buyers, if the club was genuinely up for sale.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Because contrary to what we were fed by Woodward, performances on the field actually matter. They’ve pretty much closed the gap on us as far as revenue is concerned.
At the same time, it doesn't matter that much, if we're still such a financial behemoth and worth a fortune after nearly 10 years of irrelevance in the wilderness

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Here in the US clubs that are in the most desirable cities generally sell for a large premium. LA, NYC, Florida etc. I imagine its the same in the UK. A club like ours in London is much more valuable to a foreign investor than one elsewhere.

That it’s not only a club in London but the best club in London adds even more value. New owner doesn’t have to spend years building it up.
Is that not because desirable cities = more lucrative for the US clubs? Whereas United would be more lucrative due to their global fanbase, rather than reliance on the city they're located in.

TuzlaUnited

Probably 8-10 B.
People from UK do not understand how big is Manchester United brand.

Oranges038

In the new imperial system of the UK.

It's worth approximately, 12,000,0000,000,000 shillings, half a crown and 6 pence.

Von Mistelroum

Based on the shambles we are now, requirement for investment and debt along with rapidly falling status. Not as much as you'd think I would imagine.

TuzlaUnited

They are not selling under that number.It is one of the biggest brand in the sport.Plastic club just have gone for almost 5b.I know that is popular to shit on us, but Manchester United is still heavy name.
@Hammondo

galwayfa

I know he had no choice but hard believe Roman walks away with nothing, surely if he was that close to putin he would have thought this might happen after invading Ukraine and sold before invasion,

Hammondo

They are not selling under that number.It is one of the biggest brand in the sport.Plastic club just have gone for almost 5b.I know that is popular to shit on us, but Manchester United is still heavy name.
@Hammondo
No they didn't, how are they plastic?

Banana Republic

United’s long standing financial strength, isn’t unconditionally guaranteed.
We‘re living off our past glory and large global fan base, but starting to slip behind.
If we don’t return to being in contention, challenging and actually winning trophies, our income and fan base will start to shrink.
This will inevitably affect the value of the club.
Meanwhile, our competitors are continuing to grow.
Even Spurs’ income is catching up to match ours.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Based on the shambles we are now, requirement for investment and debt along with rapidly falling status. Not as much as you'd think I would imagine.
I read the post first before knowing it was you that posted it but I knew it had to be you. Always so quick to mention how bad of a club we are.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How many times is the incorrect £4.25B price tag going to be thrown around like it's gospel?

Chelsea sold for £2.5B. United would probably sell for something like £4B.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Chelsea sold for £2.5bn - media reports of higher numbers are just poor journalism - but even £2.5b is higher than most expected

I have a feeling that Chelsea's high value might be based on the redevelopment value of Stamford Bridge - prime London real estate

I reckon we are probably worth at least £4bn

Banana Republic

How much of a return would any buyer expect to take out of the club, after investing £4b ?
It would probably make the Glazers dividends look like peanuts.

Ronaldo143

I would even give 3B to buy our club now. We are literally a mid table club And let’s not forget the debt we got. Glazers ruined us to the ground.

Vernon Philander

This is a team that has won 4 European trophies and 2 Premier Leagues in the last 10 years, and a far more guaranteed champions league qualifier