Have we bought a midfielder yet? (Jan 2022 edition) No! Dog sipping coffee: This is fine.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What an odd statement, so your basically saying whoever anybody suggests, will turn to crap. Odd little man
Nah, just that the problem in the team stems from more than our midfielder. Fred, mctominay, dvdb, Pogba, Matic, and garner are a talented group of midfielder that are better than 90% of midfield in the league. We are not utilizing them properly. all we need is a deep lying playmaker in the mold of Verratti and he will bring out the best of these player. Fred/mctominay are box to box, while Pogba and dvdb are more creativ, forward thinking midfielder that will thrive in a more advanced free role. People can suggest players, but if they believe that the player we have are terrible it is hard to imagine that the player we bring in to replace them will do any better and it will be the same cycle of failed purchases and complaints about our players are not good enough

Marwood

Our fans still getting excited about transfers and having that attitude of "we just need the next position" is really no different than believing in Santa at this point. I mean, just how? How can so many people genuinely believe that the only difference is just a world class partner at the back, and then it was so obvious, we just needed a right winger. Before that, we just needed a proper playmaker and maybe just one more player who is comfortable on the ball in midfield. There is always a bloody position that needs to be sorted. City had basically no left back since Pep arrived. They won titles with Delph, Zinchenko and Cancelo at left back. They have virtually no strikers. Liverpool's CL and PL winning midfield was laughed at some point by us. If we'd gone for Henderson and Wijnaldum, the epitome of PL mediocrity at the time, the Glazers would have been murdered in the press. Even that ridiculous Barcelona side on paper, could maybe do with a right winger and maybe a left back with Abidal's unfortunate struggles and the very good, yet far from world class Pedro. Bayern annihilated everyone around them under Heynckes with a bloke called Dante and Gustavo starting for them. Their 9 was Mandzukic.

Despite all these examples, we remain the only major club in Europe who always just needs to fix the next position with a bonafide ready world class performer, because yes, that last position is indeed the last piece and how on earth can anyone compete if not every position is stacked with world class talent before they even arrive at your training ground.
There's a reason Klopp and Guardiola in their first couple of seasons went out and bought practically a whole new XI. Players matter.

TSE123

Nah, just that the problem in the team stems from more than our midfielder. Fred, mctominay, dvdb, Pogba, Matic, and garner are a talented group of midfielder that are better than 90% of midfield in the league. We are not utilizing them properly. all we need is a deep lying playmaker in the mold of Verratti and he will bring out the best of these player. Fred/mctominay are box to box, while Pogba and dvdb are more creativ, forward thinking midfielder that will thrive in a more advanced free role. People can suggest players, but if they believe that the player we have are terrible it is hard to imagine that the player we bring in to replace them will do any better and it will be the same cycle of failed purchases and complaints about our players are not good enough
I agree with you, the talent and quality for attacking football is already there, but none of them are proper DMs. They need a deep midfielder who can secure the defensive side (maybe two?) and start up attacks. This will change the whole picture both defensive and attacking.
I believe a lot of Englands success in the euros was due to Rice and Philips (who both were great!). They gave the stability to play good attacking football and also provided the defense (read: Maguire) with the support that he needs to play to his strengths. (The midfield was completely shut (most of the time) which meant no attacking players could run straight at the CBs and force them to turn and chase. Instead they had to play around the wings and the CBs could deal with long balls and crosses.) This makes me wonder if United might need two defensive midfielders or if one is enough...

Reactions: golden_blunder

sparx99

There's a reason Klopp and Guardiola in their first couple of seasons went out and bought practically a whole new XI. Players matter.
Ultimately, it's both. I'm sure a bunch of our players could form a key part of a winning team. A top manager would also want his own style of players too. It's why LVG and Mourinho should have got the players they wanted whether we agree or not. If Mourinho wants Ivan Perisic get him Ivan Perisic. As long as the manager can articulate what that player will bring to his system then so be it.

TSE123

Ultimately, it's both. I'm sure a bunch of our players could form a key part of a winning team. A top manager would also want his own style of players too. It's why LVG and Mourinho should have got the players they wanted whether we agree or not. If Mourinho wants Ivan Perisic get him Ivan Perisic. As long as the manager can articulate what that player will bring to his system then so be it.
it gets silly when you only trust a manager half heartedly. If you trust a manager to coach the team, the manager should also be trusted to decide what else (in terms of players) is needed (perhaps within a given framework and with some input). If not, then the manager should not be blamed for any failures either. Its like being told to conduct an orchestra of mediocre musicians, only to be blamed for how bad it sounds (note: I liked the analogy even though its not a 100% fit!) :lol:

poleglass red

We’re not getting anyone are we :(
and if we do we will panic and wait until the last min on deadline day. You see clubs like Villa bringing in an attacking full back and Coutinho on loan early in the window, business done early, players hit the ground running. Problem we have is, we have an interim, the board won't want to back him, in case next manager doesn't like the players. Surely at the negotiation stage Rangnick would have laid out what he wanted in Jan re to how much he wanted to spend. He must have known our central mid wasn't good enough. The players we have been linked with in Germany aren't high prices. At this stage we won't make top 4, which will make it difficult to get the manager and players we want in the summer. 30-40 million outlay now and we get top 4, that pays for itself.

James35

Maybe they realise we are not getting top 4 so just carry on with what we have. Saves them money.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I agree with you, the talent and quality for attacking football is already there, but none of them are proper DMs. They need a deep midfielder who can secure the defensive side (maybe two?) and start up attacks. This will change the whole picture both defensive and attacking.
I believe a lot of Englands success in the euros was due to Rice and Philips (who both were great!). They gave the stability to play good attacking football and also provided the defense (read: Maguire) with the support that he needs to play to his strengths. (The midfield was completely shut (most of the time) which meant no attacking players could run straight at the CBs and force them to turn and chase. Instead they had to play around the wings and the CBs could deal with long balls and crosses.) This makes me wonder if United might need two defensive midfielders or if one is enough...
Yea, that is exactly the point I m trying to make. Someone like Phillips is a great suggestion. I think rice is more of a combative dm. If we are to get rice, I rather he play in the box to box role that fred/Mctominay occupies. A dm like Carrick, xabi Alonso, or my personal favorite Verratti is what we need. I m thinking that we should sig a top class dm in that mold and give garner a chance as his understudy. I heard that he is doing well at forest in that role, and since he comes from our academy he will not have much problems settling in here at united. That is why I am not a fan of heidara or Zakaria unless we are getting rid of Fred or Mctominay. However, I don't know much about those rumored signing other than what I hear from the internet. So they might actually have good passing ability, spatial awareness, football intelligence and technical abilities.

TSE123

Thought it was clearer than ever last night, dispite winning and some positives, that United have a desperate need of a midfielder who can hold the defensive side. The number of times Fred and McT were lost way to high up, sitting way to deep (literaly deeper than the CBs) or pulled apart with miles between them, were to many to count. Defensive positioning was awful, and the chaos in first half all sprung from their positioning.

Having said that, McT managed some good interceptions and tackles which was a + and he should have some praise for it.
Also, on the attack, and with the ball the CMs were pretty ok, and are usually not bad.

In my opinion all Player Performance Threads can be locked until the midfield is sorted. No other positions will get a fair chance otherwise.

Bondi77

You could probably buy any of about 75 percent of the starting mids in the PL and they'd play week in week out for us.

I don't think that's an exaggeration.
That is the truth and I hope it gets sorted when we get a new manager in.

Jericholyte2

Zakaria, Kamara and Kessie all available this month for cut-prices. Would likely be able to get two of the three for less than £20m.

Far too logical for us to make a move for though.

MrSingh2002

Zakaria, Kamara and Kessie all available this month for cut-prices. Would likely be able to get two of the three for less than £20m.

Far too logical for us to make a move for though.
Rather get Tchouameni and Neves in the summer if we can't get them in January.

BorisManUtd

Pogba will be back soon so reckon we're definitely not getting anyone. Matić, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Bruno, van de Beek. 6 players for 3 positions, board won't feel motivated enough to get anyone.

Volksie316

No but apparently, one of our main rivals for 4th place, are looking at signing one, and an amazing one at that.

Jacob

I'm curious to see Pogba under Rangnick. Another false dawn soon here.

roseguy64

Pogba will be back soon so reckon we're definitely not getting anyone. Matić, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Bruno, van de Beek. 6 players for 3 positions, board won't feel motivated enough to get anyone.
Yep. Especially since we'll likely introduce Hannibal into this group as well with the change to a 3 in the middle rather than the 2.

Dasilvas

It will take many years but Lucas Bergvall will be the answer to our problems

romufc

I highly doubt we will sign anyone this window. All points towards summer transfers.

L1nk

It's a disaster waiting to happen if we don't sign a midfielder this January. Surely we can see that

dutchred

Gravenberch and Rice in the summer will do along with ETH.
Gravenberch is not having a good season at Ajax. Maybe second season syndrome. Potential is there but maybe needs another year at Ajax

Newstyle

I don’t really get it. Everyone knows that we should reinforce our midfield and now when there are cheap alternatives (Kamara, Zakaria) with low risk we don’t. Is the club run by headless chickens?