Have we bought a midfielder yet? (Jan 2022 edition) No! Dog sipping coffee: This is fine.

croadyman

I don’t really get it. Everyone knows that we should reinforce our midfield and now when there are cheap alternatives (Kamara, Zakaria) with low risk we don’t. Is the club run by headless chickens?
Nope just ones who couldn't give a shit

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Donny goes on loan to Palace we are surely signing one of Ralf's identified midfield options.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's almost as if top people at the club don't realise we need a midfielder because they don't know what they are doing. Oh, wait...

Edy2

I want the club to hold out for their targets, their, soberly chosen, deliberated upon, properly scouted, targets, whether it be now or next summer or the summer after, they are signed.

I don't want any more spending on any old players like has been the case for years now, to appease fans, for the sake of spending, who are subsequently not played or are not good enough.

Josep Dowling

Pogba will be back soon so reckon we're definitely not getting anyone. Matić, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Bruno, van de Beek. 6 players for 3 positions, board won't feel motivated enough to get anyone.
Can’t wait for Pogba to be back. You know that player who has miserably failed for us over the last 5 years. Plus he’s not a DM. We need Fred replaced as the DM. He has too many unforced errors in him to play that position.

BorisManUtd

Can’t wait for Pogba to be back. You know that player who has miserably failed for us over the last 5 years. Plus he’s not a DM. We need Fred replaced as the DM. He has too many unforced errors in him to play that position.
I agree but we're not signing anyone until summer, that's been obvious this whole month. It's far from ideal but we'll have to go through next 4 months with what we've got.

Now with van de Beek most probably leaving on loan, we'll have 5 players in midfield positions over next 4 months.

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

You know which high level Paul Scholes had?

Have United win something big after Scholes retirement?

Schweinsteiger was the closest you can come to Scholes. But Schweinsteiger were over his top level when he joined United and suffer with injury. He did help United to win FA cup. Schweinsteiger on his peak was a world class creative cm player too. But at United only 80 % of his max level. He would helped both LVG and United if he was on his max and world class level.

Next after Schweinsteiger to fill and cover the big hole. A world class CM from France and Juventus. Paul Pobga. Pobga max level was world class too. But not consistent and couldnt lift United alone. Got helped by Bruno later.
I think if Pobga has the conistent fighting mentality of Scholes or Schweinsteiger. The double Sch. Pobga would be a much better football player as a full packet.

So who is next if Pobga leaving?This summer?

My suggestion is Bruno as internal solution. As a nr.8 until summer and against teams United shall beat and dominate. Not against top 3. Like this:

Bruno - McTom/Fred

Against top 3. Maybe a bit more defensive. Then Bruno back nr.10

Sancho - McTom - Fred - Rashford + Bruno + Ronaldo/Greenwood

Then the summer coming.

External solution = Bring the boy back to England = Jude Bellingham is needed.

Line up for over next 5 years. In a 4411 United old style. Cantona time/era

Sancho - Bellingham - Aurélien Tchouaméni - Rashford + Bruno + Greenwood

+ Pacey and skill ful wide players
+ Physical presence and dominance in CM area
+ A super creative nr.10/CAM. That bind and lift the youngster
+ A super clinical and sharp CF

So there are factors and reasons to. To reach the top of the table in the future. Pacey wide players like Giggs or a world class right foot in Beckham. Winning and dominate the CM area. And a sniper of a CF upfront ala Nistelroy/Van Persie/Rooney as his best.

Again i think and believe this 6 combination. Let them gel together over time. Then you will see the best of that combination:

Sancho - Bellingham - Aurélien Tchouaméni - Rashford + Bruno + Greenwood

Time turning back to Scholes. Trough the german playmaker Schweinsteiger. World champion cm Pobga and hopefully Bellingham will joined United in the future.

United and Sir Alex tried really hard to covinced Bellingham. Look at him now. I think it was and had a really good reason. If the boy keep being grounded, working hard and have the right focus. When he come against the best. I think he will leave the respect and lock it in the dressroom and ready to battle against the best cm player. The boy has that beast mode, drive, passion and engine. I see the best football players has.

So i think and recommend United shall try to get Bellingham in the future. Because last time i would do like the boy too. I would choose like Bellingham. Playing time with Dortmund. United only use 2 cm player. One of them is Pobga + beside a defensive one.
And now. Pobgas United future is unsure. And if Pobga is leaving.
At this moment. A new upcoming cm that has the highest pontential to reach a world class and top level as the creative and offensive nr.8 is Jude Bellingham. We are talking as the full packet as a nr.8 and football player. Inlude all ball skills, physical and mentality abilities. Bellingham is scoring highest of all those abilities. All the reasons and factors to reach a top level or a nr.8

So conclude in one sentence :

Jude Bellingham is what United needed as nr.8 to win the league again.

Beside others world class players in theirs positions. The central spine. CB + GK and CF

Seij

Who's making the decisions here? I can't imagine RR is saying "No, please don't give me another midfielder. I'm sick of having too many great midfielders".

So, is it Richard Arnold? Ed Woodward who is still hanging around as a "consultant"?

Why is our board so incompetent? Is there a more incompetent board than ours in the entire European continent?

UpWithRivers

Why are fans so insistent at making sht up? Lets stick to facts -

1) Its really hard to get players in January
2) Just because the papers and armchair fans say someone is good it doesnt make it so. For example - I was listening to a German football expert and he was saying that he doesnt think Haidara is ready for United yet. Maybe its true maybe not. But it could be Rangnick and our scouts etc have decided against these cheap players either because they arnt good enough or they think they would struggle making an impact in January and would need time to adapt.
3) Some players just dont want to come to United. We are having a sht season. We dont know who will be manager next season. We have an unhappy dressing room. We might not get champions league. And on and on. Maybe players are saying....hmm Ill wait till summer and see how you are.
4) Do we really want to spend money on a player that the next manager might not want. This is not just about money. Its about the player who will just turn out to be another pissed off player in the dressing room and also another headache for the next manager.
5) Clubs just wont let players leave even if the players want to come here

Probably a million different reasons. Maybe someone will still come in who knows. But this belief that the Glaziers and Arnold and whoever dont give a sht is just speculation that you get from the daily star. Why is it continually being perpetrated?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm not that fussed. Better to get someone good in the summer when we know who the manager is. Getting UCL would be nice but it's not the priority.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not that fussed. Better to get someone good in the summer when we know who the manager is. Getting UCL would be nice but it's not the priority.
Qualifying for the CL directly affects who we can go for in the summer. Having at least one midfielder in the side who the manager trusts to carry out his footballing vision, in a position where we are clearly lacking, would also speed up the development of the team (and allow individuals to perform better).

Of course, if we're just lounging about like Spurs seeing what sticks, that's no good. But if we have a realistic possibility of buying a player now who we'd also be interested in in the summer, we should definitely be pushing for it.

glazed

Of course, if we're just lounging about like Spurs seeing what sticks, that's no good. But if we have a realistic possibility of buying a player now who we'd also be interested in in the summer, we should definitely be pushing for it.
I mean it's not my money so sure buy whoever. But given that the transfer budgets are limited I think you get better value and better choice in the summer. I agree that a clever DM purchase right now could sneak us into the UCL but hard one to get right.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I mean it's not my money so sure buy whoever. But given that the transfer budgets are limited I think you get better value and better choice in the summer. I agree that a clever DM purchase right now could sneak us into the UCL but hard one to get right.
If we end up signing Rice/Tchouameni or that level of midfielder in the summer, and fight for Bellingham if he's moving, then it's understandable that we're going with what we've got. If we end up signing a Kamara/Haidara in the summer when we could have done so in January, it will have been negligent.

Whatever the case, I do think it would be worth getting one DM on loan with that trendy option to buy which we'd ignore unless they'd explode.

CloneMC16

It's not looking good any more. The midfielder(s) the club want are likely not available. These players people keep recommending aren't sure bets. Most people haven't even watched them, but say they're definitely better than what we have. They have no experience playing at this level. We also can't afford for someone to come in and need time to adapt. By the time they do, the season will be likely over. I'd far rather we wait and get who we really want.

What we have here is good enough to finish 4th. We need more consistent performances from everybody to make it happen.

Red_toad

Pogba, Matic, Fred, Bruno and Scotty isn't going to be great coverage for the 3 slots. We must have someone lined up.

glazed

If we end up signing Rice/Tchouameni or that level of midfielder in the summer, and fight for Bellingham if he's moving, then it's understandable that we're going with what we've got. If we end up signing a Kamara/Haidara in the summer when we could have done so in January, it will have been negligent.

Whatever the case, I do think it would be worth getting one DM on loan with that trendy option to buy which we'd ignore unless they'd explode.
I find it hard to believe they don't have someone lined up. They wouldn't be so keen to ship out so many other player otherwise. Haidara would be my guess. Neves as a long shot. But who knows.

Jericholyte2

If Martial, VDB and Lingard all leave, we’re surely getting in a midfielder, right?

…right?

Robindinho

Pogba, Matic, Fred, Bruno and Scotty isn't going to be great coverage for the 3 slots. We must have someone lined up.
If Martial, VDB and Lingard all leave, we’re surely getting in a midfielder, right?

…right?
Why would we leave it until the last day though if we were? Surely something would have broke by now about being in negotiations etc if it were the case. Not happening.

Can see us promoting Hannibal and saying that having Pogba back is like a new signing. :rolleyes:

Jericholyte2

Why would we leave it until the last day though if we were? Surely something would have broke by now about being in negotiations etc if it were the case. Not happening.

Can see us promoting Hannibal and saying that having Pogba back is like a new signing. :rolleyes:
Playing Devil’s Advocate, if we’re after Kamara, we’d leave it as late as possible, to push down the price, as they'd have to accept our offer or lose him on a free.

mav_9me

If we don't get a new CM, we are not making top 4, even if it is Mejbri that's fine. Even then we likely won't.

Said the same thing about attacking midfielder in Jan 2020 when we got Bruno and saved our season

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don’t even think we will get anyone to address midfield in the Summer. It’s 2000s again when we refused to address a clear issue in our midfield year after year. The club is somehow ridiculously stubborn when it comes to this.

croadyman

If we don't get a new CM, we are not making top 4, even if it is Mejbri that's fine. Even then we likely won't.

Said the same thing about attacking midfielder in Jan 2020 when we got Bruno and saved our season
Completely agree with you

croadyman

I don’t even think we will get anyone to address midfield in the Summer. It’s 2000s again when we refused to address a clear issue in our midfield year after year. The club is somehow ridiculously stubborn when it comes to this.
I fear you could well be right, feels like an area of the pitch where we have a bit of a blind spot

Andrew7582

We will definitely get a midfielder in the summer, the club have briefed to the usual journalists that midfield is the priority for the summer. I reckon we'll try and fail for Rice and end up with someone else.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We're an injury away from Matic being a starter. Sob.

Water Melon

I doubt we will sign anyone today. With all the players we loaned, it looks like we are pinning our hopes on Paul Pogba and Hannibal Mejbri. Hopefully, we got it right this time.

Hughie77

Imo he's looking at Pogba to come back into a 3 which I think is OK 4-3-3. We have Fred Scot and Pogba, Bruno Matic Mata. All of these can play in a 3 in midfield. It's always been a sketchy window Jan. But if Bissouma or the Other Guy Kamara or whatever his name come available for the right price UTD should move. Summer is the more important window for outs and ins.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Have you met this board?

If the last 8 years have proven something, it's that we are 98% clueless when it comes to squad building.
I agree with this and would add that not only are they clueless but they like to take everyone for a ride!
Any Tom, Dick and Christina knows that we desperately need a midfielder and have needed one for a long time but we keep relying on McFred and Matic in reserve.

SHAME.

NoPace

I watched Mo Camara on Salzburg closely against Bayern thinking he was the guy Rangnick wanted to sign in January, which was incorrect, as it was Haidara at Leipzig. Anyways, he had a really good game, but he's not a good athlete to be our #6, I think. Clever passer in terms of starting counter attacks as a #6. Could be a good signing for a team that sits deep in a less frenetic league than the Prem, like La Liga, and looks to counter.

croadyman

We need two midfielders, however got this gut feeling will only bring one in IF Pogba stays