Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

I’d be perfectly happy with that as long as the scouting team was effective and had a clear idea of the profile of players required to work in the manager’s system. I appreciate that the competence of the “new” scouting team is as yet unknown.

I’m fairly certain that many of our signings in the Woodward era came about as a result of his being charmed into getting the cheque book out by smooth talking agents and selling clubs, rather than from any input by managers or scouts.
Yeah, it doesn’t matter who signs them, or why, really, as long as they are good. Credit or blame is thrown around speculatively anyway.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think this kind of answers why we aren't signing in other positions yet and more focused on De Jong. It's hard to understand how much of an important role De Jong will have that we have to get him first before any other position. But...

Ducker says midfield is priority. So It is likely that we want to get two midfielders first before any other position as that is the area Ten Hag sees as the weakest. With De Jong being not only one of the two midfielders but also the most important, then it makes a bit of sense to sign him first as that would determine the other type of midfielder we get to compliment him.

Once we get De Jong and this other midfielder then it is possible that the budget (apparently 120m) would be finished or almost finished. But by then, Ten Hag would have strengthened what he sees as the weakest area in the team with his ideal targets and then we can now focus on what he sees as the other weak areas using the remainder of the budget plus player sales.

Last edited:

georgipep

Umm…from the post I literally responded to?
Then I think you have a reading or comprehension problem. The poster you responded to never said anything remotely close to blaming Rashford for Ole's sacking.

You come away as the one having an agenda.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Then I think you have a reading or comprehension problem. The poster you responded to never said anything remotely close to blaming Rashford for Ole's sacking.
The irony of this. I’ve quoted the relevant bits in bold for you to help.

And for people out there still believing in Rashford, let me remind you that his poor attitude has been directly correlated with the sacking of 2 managers.
Wait…who? Rashford was injured for the majority of Ole’s time last season and he had sod all to do with Mourinho’s sacking?
Rashford was very poor at the end of Jose's tenure when he was supposed to grow into a leader. As for the remaining moments of Ole's tenure, Rashford showed no desire to put a shift after he was supposedly given time to recover after the Euros and the surgery.

Revaulx

Yeah, it doesn’t matter who signs them, or why, really, as long as they are good. Credit or blame is thrown around speculatively anyway.
Well that should certainly help :) But it would be even better if the scouts have some understanding of the sort of player that will thrive under a certain manager.

croadyman

I think this kind of answers why we aren't signing in other positions yet and more focused on De Jong. It's hard to understand how much of an important role De Jong will have that we have to get him first before any other position. But...

Ducker says midfield is priority. So It is likely that we want to get two midfielders first before any other position as that is the area Ten Hag sees as the weakest. With De Jong being not only one of the two midfielders but also the most important, then it makes a bit of sense to sign him first as that would determine the other type of midfielder we get to compliment him.

Once we get De Jong and this other midfielder then it is possible that the budget (apparently 120m) would be finished or almost finished. But by then, Ten Hag would have strengthened what he sees as the weakest area in the team with his ideal targets and then we can now focus on what he sees as the other weak areas using the remainder of the budget plus player sales.
The worrying thing is though who can we actually sell to generate any money, all we keep hearing is about loan deals

Lee565

So the only other big side not to have done any business this summer is Chelsea who had to deal with uncertainty of club's future for last few months until they got a new owner in late May, that is how much of a mess our set up is at united.

We could be in absolutely dire situation of not backing ten hag like we did with moyes and if we flop in the league we won't be able to tell if ten hag is either just out of his depth as a top class manager outside of the Dutch league or if is completely handcuffed by our mediocre set up.

At some point we have to wake up to reality and begin to act humble with our current situation of how our club is currently viewed and realise maybe we need to target players at a slightly lesser level than a de Jong, haaland, Bellingham etc... because we may scoff at the likes of spurs signing Bissouma, perisic, kulevski and bentacour but it's these signings that will see spurs once again finish comfortably above us and if we ain't careful it will be the same with arsenal whilst we are left in a mess going into the new season by arrogantly thinking we will eventually get the big name signing of de Jong without disrupting our preparation going into the new season.

OrcaFat

Well that should certainly help :) But it would be even better if the scouts have some understanding of the sort of player that will thrive under a certain manager.
It would! But I can’t bring myself to believe the scouts have that much competence. Here’s hoping!

georgipep

The irony of this. I’ve quoted the relevant bits in bold for you to help.
Again, I read and understand completely different things when I read these quotes. I see statement of facts or reasonable assumptions, while you seem to be reading quite the stretched opinions.

Revaulx

It would! But I can’t bring myself to believe the scouts have that much competence. Here’s hoping!
Well at least someone senior in the club seems to have realised that they’re crap. Whether that leads to positive change is another matter, obvs.

I’m no David Moyes apologist at all, but it’s worth remembering that (reportedly) on his arrival he asked for the scouting report for one of the club’s existing targets (Kroos?) and was astounded that nobody at United knew what a scouting report was. If the higher-ups had themselves been competent, they might have taken that as a hint that all was not well.

James35

Why not just wait a few windows to get the right players in? Otherwise you just get a boatload of new deadwood. I can understand that people just want to see as much change as possible but these things do take time. The answer isn’t just buying anybody who could be half decent, even if they are cheap.
Then we are gambling on our ability to get the right players in, who could be above our future budgets, or have no interest in joining a club that doesn't challenge. We need to put a halt on our failing appeal as soon as possible. I believe we will only get CL next year if we win the Europa, so we need to get better on the pitch and fast and most of the current players have proven to be failures for way too long under several different managers. Nevermind the fact we have lost two regular starters in Pogba and Matic and to a lesser extent the cover of Cavani, so we are already weaker. We lose our best player by a country mile in 12 months also.

Those players mentioned in that post could also be the right players, no? Neither of us know one way or the other. Getting the right player in is not guaranteed of course, FDJ for example could flop massively due to the pace of premier league football, pressure of being the marquee signing and then being surrounded by players lacking the technical ability he has been used to with teamates at Ajax and Barcelona. He could also be brilliant. No one knows, not even ETH who also has no experience of this league or the very low technical standard of this squad, which in a couple of weeks will hit him like a sledge hammer.

It is all guess work but the one consistent in all these years is our players, multiple managers and the dick heads in charge have proven to be not good enough and as a football team we have become as bad now as we have ever been in the past 30 years or so.

I agree it can't all be fixed at once that is for sure, but I'm also sure we'll be saying the exact same things next year after another failed season. You and a lot of others may have faith, and good for you all, I wish I did, however I have very little faith in the club I have supported for 37 years, which is not a nice feeling.

Apologies for the rant.

OrcaFat

Then we are gambling on our ability to get the right players in, who could be above our future budgets, or have no interest in joining a club that doesn't challenge. We need to put a halt on our failing appeal as soon as possible. I believe we will only get CL next year if we win the Europa, so we need to get better on the pitch and fast and most of the current players have proven to be failures for way too long under several different managers. Nevermind the fact we have lost two regular starters in Pogba and Matic and to a lesser extent the cover of Cavani, so we are already weaker. We lose our best player by a country mile in 12 months also.

Those players mentioned in that post could also be the right players, no? Neither of us know one way or the other. Getting the right player in is not guaranteed of course, FDJ for example could flop massively due to the pace of premier league football, pressure of being the marquee signing and then being surrounded by players lacking the technical ability he has been used to with teamates at Ajax and Barcelona. He could also be brilliant. No one knows, not even ETH who also has no experience of this league or the very low technical standard of this squad, which in a couple of weeks will hit him like a sledge hammer.

It is all guess work but the one consistent in all these years is our players, multiple managers and the dick heads in charge have proven to be not good enough and as a football team we have become as bad now as we have ever been in the past 30 years or so.

I agree it can't all be fixed at once that is for sure, but I'm also sure we'll be saying the exact same things next year after another failed season. You and a lot of others may have faith, and good for you all, I wish I did, however I have very little faith in the club I have supported for 37 years, which is not a nice feeling.

Apologies for the rant.
You’re not alone. Over the last few months I’ve reached the end of my tether.

It pains me to say it but we won’t catch the teams ahead of us by spending £100m a season. It’s just too slow. By the time you get three or four elite players on board, holes appear elsewhere in the squad. Barring some amazing scouting or nuggets in the academy, we’ll need to spend £200m plus in three consecutive windows to make the rapid leaps forward that we need to compete with City. Sure then we can go back to a reasonable £100m a year to maintain and tweak the squad.

We all know that we aren’t going to spend that kind of money. So I don’t have much hope of catching City under our current owners.

That said, my preference is to recruit elite players only (augmented by investment in academy and young prospects, like Amad, with a plan about how to bring these guys into the team or get decent money for them). VDB is the classic example of signings I don’t like - players bought as squad options. Every player we buy should be (at least arguably) better than the current incumbent in the starting 11. Every player in the squad should have to constantly fight for his place and live in expectation that better players will be brought in to replace them.

If we want to catch City, it stands to reason that we shouldn’t buy any players who wouldn’t get into City’s team. If that sounds like fantasy, it is. We will never catch them.

Ole'sgunnarwin

That isn't the point. It is obvious that last season we were way behind City and Liverpool. The league table shows this.. This is a new season. Our aim should always be the title. This is United. The fact we are still looking like amateurs off the pitch with recruitment, well, that is another story.
You're living in cuckoo land if you think what's been happening wouldn't effect potential transfer targets.

DevilRed

So the only other big side not to have done any business this summer is Chelsea who had to deal with uncertainty of club's future for last few months until they got a new owner in late May, that is how much of a mess our set up is at united.

We could be in absolutely dire situation of not backing ten hag like we did with moyes and if we flop in the league we won't be able to tell if ten hag is either just out of his depth as a top class manager outside of the Dutch league or if is completely handcuffed by our mediocre set up.

At some point we have to wake up to reality and begin to act humble with our current situation of how our club is currently viewed and realise maybe we need to target players at a slightly lesser level than a de Jong, haaland, Bellingham etc... because we may scoff at the likes of spurs signing Bissouma, perisic, kulevski and bentacour but it's these signings that will see spurs once again finish comfortably above us and if we ain't careful it will be the same with arsenal whilst we are left in a mess going into the new season by arrogantly thinking we will eventually get the big name signing of de Jong without disrupting our preparation going into the new season.
Absolute load of rubbish.

Did we already forget last summer? We played a blinder getting Sancho for a far more reasonable price, and also Varane on the cheap. Then of course the best transfer of the Premier League in Ronaldo.

Just because it didn't work out on the pitch, doesn't mean our backroom staff didn't do well. We were talked about as being legit challengers for the title based on the names we brought in.

Have a little fecking patience and faith.

Or would you still prefer we sign grealish/lukaku for 100m? Dick about all summer long trying to sign kane?

So much revisionist history, and the window hasn't even come close to being 1/3 done yet.

Lost bear

Apologies for the rant.
Hmm. No need for apologies, I think many of us are not far from your position on all this.

Jacko78

Don't know if this is the right thread or not but basically some reds were due to protest at Richard Arnold's house apparently and he got wind of it so met some of them. There is a video on twitter of him talking about sponsors etc. I don't have enough privilege to post the link to twitter. He met them in a local boozer and bought them all a drink.

StuCol

Chimp
Oh no not this team finished second line again, completely down to Lampard burying Chelsea for first half of season, scouse injury to Van Dijk and empty stadiums.
Reads one line. Bases response to entire post on that. Well done

Wing Attack Plan R

Found this section interesting and relevant to our transfer strategy (from The Athletic):

"The club’s myriad financial issues mean that time is not their friend.

Atletico Madrid waited until the last minutes of last summer’s window to get the terms they wanted to take Griezmann back. Other clubs eyeing Barcelona players will know their hand in negotiations should get stronger and stronger as the weeks progress, and that anything might happen.

A year ago, Laporta kept saying that Messi would stay at the Nou Camp — until he suddenly said that was going to be impossible. "

I mean, it's obvious, but it does bear repeating.

Last edited:

DSG

Absolute load of rubbish.

Did we already forget last summer? We played a blinder getting Sancho for a far more reasonable price, and also Varane on the cheap. Then of course the best transfer of the Premier League in Ronaldo.

Just because it didn't work out on the pitch, doesn't mean our backroom staff didn't do well. We were talked about as being legit challengers for the title based on the names we brought in.

Have a little fecking patience and faith.

Or would you still prefer we sign grealish/lukaku for 100m? Dick about all summer long trying to sign kane?

So much revisionist history, and the window hasn't even come close to being 1/3 done yet.
I generally agree with this. We underperformed after a really nice transfer window.

I would rather do our business early, but sometimes that’s not possible. For me these are the goals for the transfer window ordered by priority:
* Getting good and very good players
* Fits Ten Hag’s system / tactics
* Spend with a budget (both fees and wages)
* Get business or most of business done in a timely manner
* Replenish youth teams

stevoc

We had offers for Lingard on multiple summers. We decided not to sell
From whom and in which years?

No one bid for him last summer. West Ham sniffed around but were probably scared off by the price and/or Jesse not being too keen on making a permanent move there.

He didn't want a permanent move in January 2021 only a loan and he obviously didn't push for one this January either and this after barely playing for United for 24 months despite being fit. So clearly Lingard wanted to run his contract down, which he now has done and left on a free, which is his right but lets not pretend he was being held against his will.

Last edited:

FiiiiveTenHaaags

The messaging coming out today that the wait is due to Ten Hag wanting to get De jong over the line first for budget reasons seems to make a lot of sense. At least we’re clearing out the deadwood and freeing up the wage bill in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.