Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonedhamsterZA

Are we done for the summer, providing nothing changes with de Jong? Seems pretty quiet right now.
Doubt it. Even if we don't get FdJ, I'd think we'd find another MF, even if said signing doesn't fit the Frenkie-mould. Someone like Neves or Tielemans, just to bolster a pretty average part of the pitch, and then we just hope that Garner and co can assist.

Not ideal, even slightly, but there doesn't seem like any similar signings to de Jong out there (based on the other threads).

Shark

@NotShark
Would be criminaly insane if we finish up without signing a CM, but still wouldn't put it past the club.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm now pretty sure our business is done. Not a great transfer window but it could have been worse. Ten Hag is obviously the most significant addition. I just want the season to start now.

crossy1686

career ending
Didn’t Ten Hag say we’re still looking at a forward and a midfielder this window? Someone else also tweeted that United aren’t stopping at 3 and will most likely bring in 5 this window.

Do some of you in here watch the kettle boil also? Maybe stand next to the microwave and watch the timer when it’s on, open it just before it dings?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Are we done for the summer, providing nothing changes with de Jong? Seems pretty quiet right now.
We still need to sign a back up goalkeeper but yeah outside of that and de Jong there's a good chance our business is done.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Would be criminaly insane if we finish up without signing a CM, but still wouldn't put it past the club.
It was unthinkable a few months ago but we are going ahead with McFred for another year! Nothing but sympathy for EtH.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Didn’t Ten Hag say we’re still looking at a forward and a midfielder this window? Someone else also tweeted that United aren’t stopping at 3 and will most likely bring in 5 this window.

Do some of you in here watch the kettle boil also? Maybe stand next to the microwave and watch the timer when it’s on, open it just before it dings?
He did but he also said that we need to bring the right players in. We've not seen many reliable links to any alternatives to Antony. If you asked me two weeks ago I would say we would be signing six players but now I'm not convinced that's the case.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I think our budget will be pretty much maxed out if we signed de Jong, and given that we will apparently wait until the last day of the window for that, I can't see much more happening. Unless we have a much bigger budget, but the way we practically waited until we had an outline agreement on the de Jong fee to continue signing other players, I'm guessing our budget isn't huge.

padzilla

Hipster
There's no question we need another midfielder at the very least, arguably at least two in fact, McTominay and Fred aren't as dire as many make out but they aren't good enough to be regular starters for a team with aspirations of competing for anything credible.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Surely, surely we're not going another window without buying a central midfielder...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He said that he wants another attacker with counting on Ronaldo to stay. So we will buy another forward for sure. Especially if cnut leaves

crossy1686

career ending
I think our budget will be pretty much maxed out if we signed de Jong, and given that we will apparently wait until the last day of the window for that, I can't see much more happening. Unless we have a much bigger budget, but the way we practically waited until we had an outline agreement on the de Jong fee to continue signing other players, I'm guessing our budget isn't huge.
We have players who will probably be sold also. There isn’t room for the amount of defenders we currently have at the club, Ronaldo will probably leave also.

We don’t know what cheap deals are also in the world for youth players or backup. We don’t have to spend £70m on every transfer.

But if Ten Hag says he’s happy with the squad come the end of the window then it is what it is. I’m sure we’ll some of the kids play more this season out of necessity. Personally I’m tired of signings coming in and failing, I’d rather see a different approach.

Rauður Djöfull

Decent window so far but will be disappointing and not good enough if we don't get FDJ + 1-3 more signings. Considering last season and how many have left and still need to go. I know we have exciting young players as well but some should leave on loan and we really should be getting a RW in, RB, a ST especially if Ronnie leaves and backup GK as well

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wish we'd done more but it's kinda of a shitty window and the lack of cl football really handicaps us so I don't mind too much.

Hopefully the new guys lock down their place in the starting 11.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hope not, it'd be a pretty shambolic summer if we didn't sign anyone else. We've not replaced any of Pogba, Cavani or Matic, we've signed 1 potential starter who's a CB, another back up LB which means we now have 4 LBs on the books and still haven't signed a CM after losing 2 despite arguably needing 2 before they even left. Eriksen is a solid enough signing but it's not enough.

Vapor trail

I'm now pretty sure our business is done. Not a great transfer window but it could have been worse. Ten Hag is obviously the most significant addition. I just want the season to start now.
There's no doubt about it if this is the conclusion of all transfer activity this will be one of the worst windows in a few years

MUFC OK

I think our business is done (can see FDJ dragging to deadline day with nothing happening). Circa £50m net spend and a huge reduction in wage bill. Not bad for a rebuild after our worst ever season.

KiD MoYeS

There's no doubt about it if this is the conclusion of all transfer activity this will be one of the worst windows in a few years
Difficult to know right now. In hindsight, last summer transfer window was a disaster and we were all delighted at the time.

MUFC OK

Difficult to know right now. In hindsight, last summer transfer window was a disaster and we were all delighted at the time.
You're happy with the midfield options currently? What about back ups for Rashford Sancho if injured? Options up front? Dalot starting RB with AWB the only other option?

So many holes in this squad. We are sleepwalking into a disaster next season.

KiD MoYeS

You're happy with the midfield options currently? What about back ups for Rashford Sancho if injured? Options up front?
I'm not happy with the midfield options but obviously Ten Hag has put all his eggs in the de Jong basket. The club are entirely focused on the new manager targets rather than club targets. Like the club I am choosing to trust Ten Hag.

MUFC OK

I'm not happy with the midfield options but obviously Ten Hag has put all his eggs in the de Jong basket. The club are entirely focused on the new manager targets rather than club targets. Like the club I am choosing to trust Ten Hag.
Okay, but I don't think ETH is currently happy with the options he's got.

The reality is that if Rashford or Sancho are injured we're straight into relying on Amad/Elanga. Dalot is out then AWB starts every game. Mcfred starting every game and if one is unavailable we have to throw Savage/Iqbal into first team football. That's not a good enough squad to get top 4 and compete on 4 fronts.

The club are letting him down at the moment.

KiD MoYeS

Okay, but I don't think ETH is currently happy with the options he's got.

The reality is that if Rashford or Sancho are injured we're straight into relying on Amad/Elanga. Dalot is out then AWB starts every game. Mcfred starting every game and if one is unavailable we have to throw Savage/Iqbal into first team football. That's not a good enough squad to get top 4 and compete on 4 fronts.
Ten Hag gives very little away so difficult to know what his thinking is. But judging by the transfer window to date we are targeting safer signings that Ten Hag is very familiar with. De Jong aside I'm not sure there are many other midfield options that fit that description.

James35

We are crazy if we don’t bring in more players. If our window ended now I’m going with 6th again. Get in FDJ and we can possibly get 4th. It will be a rude awakening for ETH next season I fear. If club are happy with that though and it really is long term planning then good luck with that. Seeing a well coached team will be great of course but with what we have done so far and the players that have left and potentially going another to, we are clearly weaker.

I’m still thinking we will get two more in though as ETH is not stupid (I don’t think one of them will be FDJ either). Think going to end of window to sign him is a bluff, I give it to mid August max before we go for someone else.

MadMike

The problem I see with our summer transfer-wise so far, is that we mostly strengthened in positions that we already had depth in and not in positions where we are light. And you might argue that we have improved the quality in those positions, which might prove right (or not) depending on how the new signings perform, but we certainly now have the problem of an overburdened squad particularly at the back.

We have 3 left backs:
  1. Shaw
  2. Malacia
  3. Telles
We have 3 right backs:
  1. Dalot
  2. AWB
  3. B.Williams
We have 7 centre backs:
  1. Varane
  2. Maguire
  3. Martinez
  4. Bailly
  5. Lindelof
  6. Tuanzebe
  7. Jones
We really need to sell 3-4 players from those positions. To make space in the squad and the wage bill for other players.

Meanwhile we are, both compared to last season and objectively speaking, light in central midfield. We lost 2 MFs in Matic and Pogba and brought in only 1 in Eriksen (presumably as a Pogba replacement). We could be looking at McFred starting most of our games next season again. Even moreso than last year in fact.

And things get even worse up-front. Okay, the loses of Mata and Lingard are inconsequential since they barely played and we have decent cover for the AMC position. But we lost Cavani and Greenwood who haven’t been replaced. We are putting all our hopes up-front on a 38yo, want-away Ronaldo and Martial who returns from loan after 2 atrocious seasons. Our depth on the wings is also extremely poor. On the wings, behind Sancho and Rashford, there is only Elanga. After that it’s the kids, like Pellistri/Amad.

In my humble opinion, if the team is truly aiming for top 4 it needs another good winger and a starting DM. And if Ronaldo leaves, another CF. Not getting players in these positions might mean we’re blooding some young players (Gartner, Pellistri, Iqbal, Amad) instead. But then it’s inevitable that the team will be inconsistent as a result and achieving top 4 would be more of a hope than an expectation or requirement.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

Williams is more a left back than right back if I recall correctly, do I have that wrong? If I don't have it wrong, we have 4 LBs and 2 RBs, if you go by their natural positions.

Personally I do agree we need to sell a couple of centre-backs but I don't know how easy it will be to offload them. It might seem easiest to sell Tuanzabe, but I'd rather we retain a younger, low-wage squad member than retain a high-wage 5th/6th choice CB, even if they are more experienced.

matsdf

Bar the FdJ situation being resolved it doesn't really feel like we're signing anyone else this window. Antony seems to be the only other player that's really linked to us, and he's probably too expensive at the moment.

Flying high

The problem I see with our summer transfer-wise so far, is that we mostly strengthened in positions that we already had depth in and not in positions where we are light. And you might argue that we have improved the quality in those positions, which might prove right (or not) depending on how the new signings perform, but we certainly now have the problem of an overburdened squad particularly at the back.

We have 3 left backs:
  1. Shaw
  2. Malacia
  3. Telles
We have 3 right backs:
  1. Dalot
  2. AWB
  3. B.Williams
We have 7 centre backs:
  1. Varane
  2. Maguire
  3. Martinez
  4. Bailly
  5. Lindelof
  6. Tuanzebe
  7. Jones
We really need to sell 3-4 players from those positions. To make space in the squad and the wage bill for other players.

Meanwhile we are, both compared to last season and objectively speaking, light in central midfield. We lost 2 MFs in Matic and Pogba and brought in only 1 in Eriksen (presumably as a Pogba replacement). We could be looking at McFred starting most of our games next season again. Even moreso than last year in fact.

And things get even worse up-front. Okay, the loses of Mata and Lingard are inconsequential since they barely played and we have decent cover for the AMC position. But we lost Cavani and Greenwood who haven’t been replaced. We are putting all our hopes up-front on a 38yo, want-away Ronaldo and Martial who returns from loan after 2 atrocious seasons. Our depth on the wings is also extremely poor. On the wings, behind Sancho and Rashford, there is only Elanga. After that it’s the kids, like Pellistri/Amad.

In my humble opinion, if the team is truly aiming for top 4 it needs another good winger and a starting DM. And if Ronaldo leaves, another CF. Not getting players in these positions might mean we’re blooding some young players (Gartner, Pellistri, Iqbal, Amad) instead. But then it’s inevitable that the team will be inconsistent as a result and achieving top 4 would be more of a hope than an expectation or requirement.
Spot on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah i get the feeling that anyone other than FdJ if that ends up happening, will be just based on if someone buys one of our outcasts first. Like if someone takes AWB, then we'll look at a right back to rotate probably. Feels a bit dead with transfer rumours at the moment. An attacker in with (RW preferably) with Ronaldo out would be ideal, but i don't see either happening.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
One things for sure, if this is our signing fo the summer, we are going to get hammered by the likes of City and Liverpool again and very possibly not get much out of Spurs, Chelsea and rejuvenated Arsenal. That will leave no leeway for stupid loses/dropping points to the likes of Villa, Everton, Palace etc. As others have said, need at one least one more midfielder (one would be enough i we magically found a world-class defensive midfielder) and definitely a top striker. We don't have enough goals in us right now (said same this time last year and got laughed at) and no cover if someone gets a major injury. Ah for the days when we had four forwards...

Amadevs

Supports
United
Some of you guys said that there' s no way a club can sign 6 players in one summer. It would destroy the balance, not possible, this is not FIFA, bla-bla. Well, Dortmund did, Tottenham too. Bayern will in a couple of days, and you can't say they will stop. I hope Arnold open the case, because we need at least one CM; ST and RB. The LB Malacia and CB Lisandro should be seen as opportinities and not priorities. Otherwise neither EtH, nor Murthough/Flecher have made a proper analysis.

Reactions: Fortitude

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not really sure what the clubs doing.

I'm happy with the 3 we've signed but it's simply not enough. We're literally going to start the season with the same players we ended our worst ever season with.

ETH better bring his a-game if that's the case.

Joseunited

I'm happy with the 3 we've signed but it's simply not enough. We're literally going to start the season with the same players we ended our worst ever season with.

If those 3 start most games(more than likely)it's hardly the same team is it?
Also have you watched the pre-season games?Martial looks miles better,he wasn't playing last season.

lex talionis

The importance of the new manager can't be overstated. Ole and Ralf lost control of the squad, we played like clowns on crack and yet we weren't that far off the pace for fourth until the players completely gave up at the end of the season. I won't be "happy" with just the three that we've signed, but we're a substantially better squad already than what ended the season. And before anyone mentions the name Pogba, it should be recalled that Pogba was checked out the last seasons at Old Trafford. Mata is gone too but Mata wasn't a factor.

We'll see about Frenkie de Jong but if we do bring him in we can call this a very successful summer transfer window.

MUFC OK

Some of you guys said that there' s no way a club can sign 6 players in one summer. It would destroy the balance, not possible, this is not FIFA, bla-bla. Well, Dortmund did, Tottenham too. Bayern will in a couple of days, and you can't say they will stop. I hope Arnold open the case, because we need at least one CM; ST and RB. The LB Malacia and CB Lisandro should be seen as opportinities and not priorities. Otherwise neither EtH, nor Murthough/Flecher have made a proper analysis.
Even City will have brought in 5 when they announce Cucurella in a couple of days. It's called competence and ambition :lol:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Given how shit we were last season, and with it being his first transfer window. The transfer window should have went something like this for ETH:

LB: Malacia
RB: Dumfries
CB: Martinez
CM: De Jong
CM: Eriksen
RW: Antony

*Ronaldo Stays*

But it's very hard to see the club backing him with much more money than he's already spent if I'm being honest. If we get De Jong, I'd be shocked to see anyone else relevant coming in the door.

MrSingh2002

Luke Shaw didn't feature in the last match....

Malacia and Telles the chosen LB ballers?

croadyman

So towel has gone in on De Jong then, surely even without that you have a bit of hope of a RB/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.