Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

We'll probably wait on de Jong until the end of the window and end up empty handed. All in all it'll be seen as a disappointing transfer window as we'll go into another season with McTominay starting.

croadyman

Some of you guys said that there' s no way a club can sign 6 players in one summer. It would destroy the balance, not possible, this is not FIFA, bla-bla. Well, Dortmund did, Tottenham too. Bayern will in a couple of days, and you can't say they will stop. I hope Arnold open the case, because we need at least one CM; ST and RB. The LB Malacia and CB Lisandro should be seen as opportinities and not priorities. Otherwise neither EtH, nor Murthough/Flecher have made a proper analysis.
Yeah definitely see Malacia as more of a opportunistic signing, however think Lisandro is much more of a first XI signing than many think

Amadevs

Supports
United
No one said his opinion on Pavard? He could be available now. I think it's worth trying - he can be our new RB at a reasonable price. I like him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So we are about to do the old trick of going from "promising" to "total f@ck up" just without anything in between.

I've tried to be hopeful but the two new clowns don't seem to be able to get a transfer done any better than the old lot. If it's true that FDJ thinks the club is "run erratically", you could hardly argue with him... now what?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The problem I see with our summer transfer-wise so far, is that we mostly strengthened in positions that we already had depth in and not in positions where we are light. And you might argue that we have improved the quality in those positions, which might prove right (or not) depending on how the new signings perform, but we certainly now have the problem of an overburdened squad particularly at the back.

We have 3 left backs:
  1. Shaw
  2. Malacia
  3. Telles
We have 3 right backs:
  1. Dalot
  2. AWB
  3. B.Williams
We have 7 centre backs:
  1. Varane
  2. Maguire
  3. Martinez
  4. Bailly
  5. Lindelof
  6. Tuanzebe
  7. Jones
We really need to sell 3-4 players from those positions. To make space in the squad and the wage bill for other players.

Meanwhile we are, both compared to last season and objectively speaking, light in central midfield. We lost 2 MFs in Matic and Pogba and brought in only 1 in Eriksen (presumably as a Pogba replacement). We could be looking at McFred starting most of our games next season again. Even moreso than last year in fact.

And things get even worse up-front. Okay, the loses of Mata and Lingard are inconsequential since they barely played and we have decent cover for the AMC position. But we lost Cavani and Greenwood who haven’t been replaced. We are putting all our hopes up-front on a 38yo, want-away Ronaldo and Martial who returns from loan after 2 atrocious seasons. Our depth on the wings is also extremely poor. On the wings, behind Sancho and Rashford, there is only Elanga. After that it’s the kids, like Pellistri/Amad.

In my humble opinion, if the team is truly aiming for top 4 it needs another good winger and a starting DM. And if Ronaldo leaves, another CF. Not getting players in these positions might mean we’re blooding some young players (Gartner, Pellistri, Iqbal, Amad) instead. But then it’s inevitable that the team will be inconsistent as a result and achieving top 4 would be more of a hope than an expectation or requirement.
Nail on the head (as always).

Am excited with ten Hag and think he will improve us, but still, I will have no expectations of finishing inside top 4 if the team don't sign aditions in midfield and attack. Or deem such season as a failure.

lysglimt

Scout
Read that Brentford will only ask £40 million for Toney - he could actually be a really good striker for us

HackeyC

So we are about to do the old trick of going from "promising" to "total f@ck up" just without anything in between.

I've tried to be hopeful but the two new clowns don't seem to be able to get a transfer done any better than the old lot. If it's true that FDJ thinks the club is "run erratically", you could hardly argue with him... now what?
It a bit rich accusing United of being erratic when you are at Barca and they can't even pay your wages!

hatchetmac

Read that Brentford will only ask £40 million for Toney - he could actually be a really good striker for us
Wow how far do you think we have fallen? I remember when we went for forwards like Rooney, Berbatov, Ruud, Van Persie, Cole, Yorke and King Eric to name but a few.

Frank Grimes

The problem I see with our summer transfer-wise so far, is that we mostly strengthened in positions that we already had depth in and not in positions where we are light. And you might argue that we have improved the quality in those positions, which might prove right (or not) depending on how the new signings perform, but we certainly now have the problem of an overburdened squad particularly at the back.

We have 3 left backs:
  1. Shaw
  2. Malacia
  3. Telles
We have 3 right backs:
  1. Dalot
  2. AWB
  3. B.Williams
We have 7 centre backs:
  1. Varane
  2. Maguire
  3. Martinez
  4. Bailly
  5. Lindelof
  6. Tuanzebe
  7. Jones
We really need to sell 3-4 players from those positions. To make space in the squad and the wage bill for other players.

Meanwhile we are, both compared to last season and objectively speaking, light in central midfield. We lost 2 MFs in Matic and Pogba and brought in only 1 in Eriksen (presumably as a Pogba replacement). We could be looking at McFred starting most of our games next season again. Even moreso than last year in fact.

And things get even worse up-front. Okay, the loses of Mata and Lingard are inconsequential since they barely played and we have decent cover for the AMC position. But we lost Cavani and Greenwood who haven’t been replaced. We are putting all our hopes up-front on a 38yo, want-away Ronaldo and Martial who returns from loan after 2 atrocious seasons. Our depth on the wings is also extremely poor. On the wings, behind Sancho and Rashford, there is only Elanga. After that it’s the kids, like Pellistri/Amad.

In my humble opinion, if the team is truly aiming for top 4 it needs another good winger and a starting DM. And if Ronaldo leaves, another CF. Not getting players in these positions might mean we’re blooding some young players (Gartner, Pellistri, Iqbal, Amad) instead. But then it’s inevitable that the team will be inconsistent as a result and achieving top 4 would be more of a hope than an expectation or requirement.
Good post.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Wow how far do you think we have fallen? I remember when we went for forwards like Rooney, Berbatov, Ruud, Van Persie, Cole, Yorke and King Eric to name but a few.
What, you mean like Saha, who we bought from Fulham, or Yorke, who we bought from Villa? Whats to say that Toney wouldn't be as effective in our system as either of those two? Does every player have to come from a massive club in order to be successful?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is there any chance we would go for another one before the whole FDJ situation comes to light?

Ole'sattheWheel

Weird we aren’t linked with anyone other than FDJ.
I really thought with Pogba, Lingard, Matic and Mata off the wage bill we’d splurge a bit more.
So far we’ve got Eriksen on a free (let’s say he replaces Pogba), Martinez for 50 mil and potentially FDJ for 75 mil. Malacia fee is offset by pereira leaving.

The team would’ve needed about 150 mil invested without the departure of 4 midfielders, so it feels weird that we’re gonna end up spending about 125 mil net this summer.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Weird we aren’t linked with anyone other than FDJ.
I really thought with Pogba, Lingard, Matic and Mata off the wage bill we’d splurge a bit more.
So far we’ve got Eriksen on a free (let’s say he replaces Pogba), Martinez for 50 mil and potentially FDJ for 75 mil. Malacia fee is offset by pereira leaving.

The team would’ve needed about 150 mil invested without the departure of 4 midfielders, so it feels weird that we’re gonna end up spending about 125 mil net this summer.
At a relatively educated guess it's to keep a bit of budget in the bank to react later on in the window to any surprises/big moves. E.g, Ronaldo leaves (possible). Beliingham decides Manchester is his dream city (not possible) but you get the jist.

I think we'll move for a ST late on personally.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Who's saying the club is run erratically?

croadyman

At a relatively educated guess it's to keep a bit of budget in the bank to react later on in the window to any surprises/big moves. E.g, Ronaldo leaves (possible). Beliingham decides Manchester is his dream city (not possible) but you get the jist.

I think we'll move for a ST late on personally.
Who could you see a late move for then?

Frank Grimes

City and Liverpool put out their near strongest teams last night and this evening. We are going to be undercooked again with 5 games to be played before September 1st is over.

Can't believe everyone is so chilled out, we're going to be behind the cue ball from the start. Inexcusable considering we wrote off a season from November last year. It’s OK though because Tony Martial came from France. Give me strength.

Rauður Djöfull

Yeah really need to pull Frenkie + a couple of others out of a hat soon and get rid of some fat as well (like Jones, Williams, Tuanzebe to name a few)

Last edited:

croadyman

Yeah really need to pull Frenkie + a couple of others out af har soon and get rid of some fat as well (like Jones, Williams, Tuanzebe to name a few)
Yeah definitely still need him, RB and either a RW/CF but not getting all three in a million years, even two is looking a massive stretch right now.

MUFC OK

This window has been an utter shit show. Ten Hag bringing the good vibes and patterns of play in pre-season is saving the glazers from the hiding they deserve.

£53m net spend and harmony amongst the fanbase is fantastic business for them, well fecking played.

croadyman

This window has been an utter shit show. Ten Hag bringing the good vibes and patterns of play in pre-season is saving the glazers from the hiding they deserve.

£53m net spend and harmony amongst the fanbase is fantastic business for them, well fecking played.
Yeah just hope they don't see a good pre season and tighten their money belts yet again

Blood Mage

Inexcusably poor transfer window from us. The Glazers have completely lost their appetite to invest in the team (they barely had one to begin with) and would rather keep the dross we have than spend money. The lack of sales is almost as disgraceful as the lack of incomings.

MUFC OK

Yeah just hope they don't see a good pre season and tighten their money belts yet again
That's exactly what's happening in my opinion and it worries me. The deficiencies in the squad remain and the owners will probably get away with it.

On top of that we have new briefs from the club are centering around ten hag being a disciplinarian, putting in place rules that you would expect of a manager at an elite sporting institution and other noise designed to have us clapping along like seals.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Who's saying the club is run erratically?
reportedly FDJ although it is in the scummiest "news" paper of all time

Mail: "Frenkie de Jong has no interest in joining Manchester United because he dislikes the city and believes the club is run erratically, a new report in Spain has claimed."

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Meanwhile about 10 days ago some here were laughing and saying Chelsea had done no business either... now look at them. We need to get someone who's better at getting transfers done. Laurel and Hardy are proving no better than Woodward

Revaulx

I’m not sure why people are still banging on about still needing a RB and RW when the biggest success of pre-season had been the consistently excellent link-up between Dalot and Sancho, which had given us a more attacking right side than we’ve had for years.

Not having any sort of Plan B in the event that we don’t sign FDJ would be truly negligent. Let’s hope we do.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’m not sure why people are still banging on about still needing a RB and RW when the biggest success of pre-season had been the consistently excellent link-up between Dalot and Sancho, which had given us a more attacking right side than we’ve had for years.

Not having any sort of Plan B in the event that we don’t sign FDJ would be truly negligent. Let’s hope we do.
I've actually said that Dalot might be good if given a run in the side but not sure we can judge him (and his link up play) on the likes of Liverpool's seventh team, or Melbourne Koalas or whatever they call themselves in that Mickey Mouse league (oh and they still managed to embarrass our defence)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

We have 3 left backs:
  1. Shaw
  2. Malacia
  3. Telles
We have 3 right backs:
  1. Dalot
  2. AWB
  3. B.Williams
We have 7 centre backs:
  1. Varane
  2. Maguire
  3. Martinez
  4. Bailly
  5. Lindelof
  6. Tuanzebe
  7. Jones

I know what you mean about the defensive signings, but it does make sense. Martinez is an expert at progressing the ball and allows Maguire to play on the right side of of the CBs where he tends to play a more progressive game himself. You were lacking a good LCB and Martinez fixes that. I imagine you'll try to sell some of those others like Jones, Tuanzebe and Bailly. That leaves you with good strength and depth at CB.

Malacia is an odder signing as I would have thought RB is where you need to strengthen, but again if you get rid of Telles then it makes a lot more sense and gives great competition there.

I don't think Eriksen is a direct Pogba replacement. In fact the idea of replacements is misleading, you don't want to replace Pogba like for like. He never worked in your team. Eriksen played as an attacking midfielder for Spurs, for Inter he dropped back a bit and tended to drift out onto the left, but for Brentford he dropped quite a lot deeper and also worked on progressing play, often with some beautiful passing. I think you'll see quite a lot of him picking up balls from Martinez and Maguire and linking in your forwards far more rather than your current midfield which always seems to miss the progressive pass in favour of the safe sideways or backwards move.

ETH said you seemed to have forgotten what to do with the ball in possession, Eriksen changes that quite a lot, he's the sort of player you haven't had for donkeys years. The plan to get De Jong as well makes perfect sense in that set up. You're biggest problem was lack of prgression last season leaving Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford etc isolated and making them look even more rubbish! Martinez and Eriksen fix that, and with FDJ on board it revolutionises your set up.

It also means you do not need a traditional DM/Matic replacement, you won't play with one. With high pressing from the front and FDJ able to sit in front of the defence, or a full back slotting in as move forward., you won't need one.

I'd agree though if CR7 leaves you will need an attacking replacement, just to bolster your line up, Martial is looking good again right now, but if he goes off the boil or gets injured you have very little back up. But overall I don't think your signings are disappointing at all.

ETH also said a big part of his challenge was developing the squad you have, I think players like Fred and Rashford can offer much more than they did last season and will make quite a few people eat their words. Under Ole and especially RR with his second string coaching staff they went backwards and noone seemed to want to do anything about it. You now have a first class coaching team and that can make a huge difference along with a progressive spine to the team linking the defense, midfield and attack far better.

The signings will make much more sense when we see who else goes and when (not if, I think) you get FDJ, I think the future will be looking quite good for you guys.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some of you guys said that there' s no way a club can sign 6 players in one summer. It would destroy the balance, not possible, this is not FIFA, bla-bla. Well, Dortmund did, Tottenham too. Bayern will in a couple of days, and you can't say they will stop. I hope Arnold open the case, because we need at least one CM; ST and RB. The LB Malacia and CB Lisandro should be seen as opportinities and not priorities. Otherwise neither EtH, nor Murthough/Flecher have made a proper analysis.
Agggj my pet hate is people not knowing what fletchers job is

Godfather

Disappointing window so far. The positions that needed strengthening the most have been neglected so far. FdJ joining would change a lot but if that doesn't happen and we are done in the market then God help us.

Revaulx

I've actually said that Dalot might be good if given a run in the side but not sure we can judge him (and his link up play) on the likes of Liverpool's seventh team, or Melbourne Koalas or whatever they call themselves in that Mickey Mouse league (oh and they still managed to embarrass our defence)
Well that applies to plenty more than Dalot. All of them, really.

I can’t wait for the season to start but am under no illusions; not all the players that have thrived in pre-season will carry that through to the real thing.

Redcy

OK this is really promising - sending a clear message to fans and even more to the suits. I like this guy more and more each day. Not sure Poch would have been so forward.

P.S. Is that optimistic/positive enough?
It is for the Caf so there you go. It certainly is more promising than him saying nothing, I mean he could have spouted some shite about after preseason we might not need to make so many changes, etc, but he didn't he is still saying he wants players. If the board don't deliver that is another thing altogether.

James35

ETH has spoken well, it is obvious he is not stupid enough to think this squad, as is, will challenge the best teams. We’ll definitely see improvement in the way we play but we are still lacking talent wise. If we end with just these three, which we surely won’t, I’m thinking we are good for 6th again, maybe 5th. Lose Ronaldo then I will firmly stay at 6th with my prediction.

I don’t have faith in a fair few of this squad, despite being coached with someone who actually knows what they are doing. So it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks as we really cannot afford to be going to deadline day for any player…a day or two out from game six in the league, we may already be well off the pace.

Hopefully after Perth we get Eriksen and Martinez involved in remaining pre season games so they are ready for Brighton. FDJ, I couldn’t give a shit.

RkkMan

That's exactly what's happening in my opinion and it worries me. The deficiencies in the squad remain and the owners will probably get away with it.

On top of that we have new briefs from the club are centering around ten hag being a disciplinarian, putting in place rules that you would expect of a manager at an elite sporting institution and other noise designed to have us clapping along like seals.
A little far fetched. Bar Moyes we always back our managers heavily in their first summers.
Ten Hag himself has said we need a forward and it'll probably be 2 if/when Ronaldo leaves and the clock is ticking on Barca paying off FDJ whom we've agreed a fee for. Another 2/3 on top of the 3 we've made will be a good start to the Ten Hag era regardless of the timeline the signings arrive in between now and September

Superden

if we start well and the likes of Martial particularly hit the ground running, no one will care about the transfer business..... however if we say get less than 9 pts from the first 5 games and are already a step or two behind in the league then there will be blood. a few fan protests with some homemade signs and some people might leave a bit early, and a few will rant on radio stations and glazersout will trend. might even be a banner on a plane. god forbid.

prateik

I'm bored already.. We havent seen Eriksen or Martinez play.. and there have been no more signings..

Do something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.