Have you ever been closer to wanting us to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some fans have already had moments of wanting us to lose for a change of manager. Big picture and all that.

I could never bring myself to do that. But tomorrow I have never been closer. And thats mainly because our decision makers are so inept they might take a slight win as a barometer of us being back in control.

Sviken

Yes. During Moyes' tenure at the end I wanted us to lose games for him to get the sack. It was that bad. I've yet not reached that point with Ole, we still have things to play for, but I'd be horrified if he actually manages to pluck results against City and Atalanta and due to that - gets off the chopping block.

Infestissumam

I've never been as miserable as a football fan as during those final weeks under Jose and I still wasn't close to hoping for a loss back then.

FerociousCorgis

sometimes you have to go one step back to go two steps forward. God help us if we get a shitty drab win that just delays things.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Short term pain long term gain. He needs to go. That said, I really can't see us losing tomorrow.

Bobade

I've never been as miserable as a football fan as during those final weeks under Jose and I still wasn't close to hoping for a loss back then.
I remember being miserable but then I think it was the game where we managed to nick a goal at a key moment and he went crazy and smashed that Gatorade stand up. That cheered me up a bit.

Loon

:lol:
I think we can lose to Spurs and the manager will still be in the job. They won't about face from not dismissing the manager after a demolition from our worst enemy in our own back yard that quickly.

I'd never want us to lose a game.

stw2022

In 1986 would it have been better for us to carry on getting the right result just in nick of time for Ron Atkinson to continue long into the 90s?

Hoof the ball

I think that a lot of people will be very reticent to admit that they want their team to lose, even at the worst of times, however, playing devil's advocate it's possible that if a fan knew that one more defeat would guarantee Ole's sacking and the prospect of bringing in a Zidane, then, it's not outrageous to suggest that for a fleeting moment some might believe that the ends justifies the means.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Alright lads, bets on who is making the same thread for the City game..?

Loon

:lol:
In 1986 would it have been better for us to carry on getting the right result just in nick of time for Ron Atkinson to continue long into the 90s?
Atkinson's fate was decided at the World Cup in 1986 when Bobby Charlton tapped up Ferguson when he was in charge of Scotland. Atkinson was on borrowed time from the start of that season. Even Big Ron wrote about it in his biography.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The closest I can remember was during Mourinho's time. However bad things are now, that was much worse in terms of how I felt about the team.

The thing I've learned from the Moyes/LVG/Mourinho eras though is that even when I want the manager gone, watching the team flounder still sucks. I get why people might rationalise it in terms of short-term pain being worth it in the long run if it gets a new manager in quicker but I know I'll just be irate if we lose tomorrow regardless. I'll be happy when the manager is gone but typically all the steps up to that just feel worse and worse. I'm not gonna actively wish that on my week.

That said, if we are going to lose one of these games then I sure as shit hope it's tomorrow's and not Atalanta or City.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Irrelevant really considering. Totally different game now.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Personally I hope that we continue to lose forever. Once we're in the conference then we'll know who the real fans are.

FerociousCorgis

Why would any supporter want their team to loose, its totally obtuse to me, why do you even follow your club?
if a loss in this one game can bring in someone who can actually help us accomplish our goals for not only this season but in future seasons as well, the real question is why would a supporter not want it.

Erebus

I simply do not understand supporters of any team wanting their side to lose. Whatever the rationale, it simply doesn't work for me. Ever.

Oranges038

No and never and anyone that does is fcuking moron who should probably stop watching football altogether.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
if a loss in this one game can bring in someone who can actually help us accomplish our goals for not only this season but in future seasons as well, the real question is why would a supporter not want it.
Cause of that word, if your only tie to a club and the players is success, what's the point in supporting? If everyone thought like that football would be dead and buried long, long ago.

Flexdegea

Some fans have already had moments of wanting us to lose for a change of manager. Big picture and all that.

I could never bring myself to do that. But tomorrow I have never been closer. And thats mainly because our decision makers are so inept they might take a slight win as a barometer of us being back in control.

What is wrong with our fans?

Wanting to lose makes no sense in any shape or form.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know how anyone can feel like this once the game kicks off, maybe in theory before I can see why some might? But once the whistle goes, I'll want us to win, it's just how it is. Not that I've got high expectations of us doing so though!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I will never want United to lose.
I'm just in despair at the minute with the whole thing

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It’s constant ffs, before every game.

These threads should just be locked immediately. Nobody cares if you want the team your supposed to support to lose.
Just can't get my head around it. So we get a new guy in and he gets one win in five. What are those muppets going to do then?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is wrong with our fans?

Wanting to lose makes no sense in any shape or form.
It does make sense from the sense of forcing a crooked board to make the right decision in favour of longer term results.

I still want us to win but Ive nevee been closer to favouring dropping points in a draw providing Ole goes before Atalanta.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It's a difficult situation for the fans to be in. How sure are we that a defeat tomorrow will decide Ole's fate? I'm not remotely convinced it will.

I've never actively hoped for a defeat before, and I won't start tomorrow, but I won't be upset if we lose. Mostly because I'm expecting to lose, but also because it expediates the sacking process.

It's an awful position to be in for true fans of the club and that's down to the board and their indecisiveness.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just can't get my head around it. So we get a new guy in and he gets one win in five. What are those muppets going to do then?
You think that people only want Ole out because of one win in five? Are you broken?

Flexdegea

Cause of that word, if your only tie to a club and the players is success, what's the point in supporting? If everyone thought like that football would be dead and buried long, long ago.

You Put it perfect........massively entitled thinking from some of our fans they can't be having being up the table, being a massive club and still in the big competitions.......not good enough, we can't take it, we must lose games so another manager comes in, and we might in couple years time maybe win a league.............truely stupid fan mindset to be honest.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You think that people only want Ole out because of one win in five? Are you broken?
I'm just going to assume that you're not that thick that you didn't know what I was getting at.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Because it would feel really bad?

Like I get the rationale. You could argue that the quicker Solskjaer goes, the better this season likely goes, so whatever hastens that all the better.

But in real terms I'd be in a foul mood if we lost to Spurs off the back of that loss to Liverpool. And rather than caring about the club too much to want us to lose a game, I don't care about the club enough to actively will them to do something that will make a precious weekend miserable just because it might theoretically be slightly better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.