Film Hayao Miyazaki - The Studio Ghibli and other anime films

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've never watched any anime before (unless Pokemon counts), but I just watched My Neighbor Totoro. It was great :drool:

I was so sure it was going to end sadly, but I was glad to be proven wrong :lol:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ponyo is a great film when you're on the reefer or having a geometry lesson in color. Everything in it just looks beautiful and it's a simply cute story.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I've never watched any anime before (unless Pokemon counts), but I just watched My Neighbor Totoro. It was great :drool:

I was so sure it was going to end sadly, but I was glad to be proven wrong :lol:
You've got a lot of catching up to do, watch Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and etc ASAP.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just saw that he's out of retirement! 2019 is ages away.

Jagga7

His films are incredible. So much imagination and creativity. Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle are my favs.

buchansleftleg

Porco rosso and Howls moving castle are good too.

Porco rosso is very faithful to a narrow era in early 30's when seaplanes were cutting edge science. Howls is in similar mood to spirited away.

I find the films mood is often totally changed by the american dialogue. I watched spirited away in japanese and found it mystical....in american voiceover it has a tendency to over explain. Not going to force my kid to watch japanese version yet though!

Ubik

The non-fantasy ones likes Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are great too (and Grave of the Fireflies obviously).

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
The Wind Rises it's my favorite of his. Dearing and beautifully sad stories.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The Wind Rises is underrated. I'd put it up there with Mononoke as Miyazaki's best. I love them all but feel like certain films of his tend to run out of steam but those two are genuinely brilliant throughout.

Womp

idiot
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I recently watched a silent voice. Usually not my type of anime as I'm not really into that serious drama stuff but it really did touch me. (No, not like that you sick fecks)

AkaAkuma

I find the films mood is often totally changed by the american dialogue. I watched spirited away in japanese and found it mystical....in american voiceover it has a tendency to over explain. Not going to force my kid to watch japanese version yet though!
I find the same, the songs are a lot better in Japanese aswell.

It's not been mentioned yet but Kiki is very good for kids.

Kazi

Favourite Miyazaki film was Princess Mononoke but has been taken over by The Wind Rises, which is such a nice watch.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I recently watched a silent voice. Usually not my type of anime as I'm not really into that serious drama stuff but it really did touch me. (No, not like that you sick fecks)
Koe no Katachi is just a great film, period.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Porco rosso and Howls moving castle are good too.

Porco rosso is very faithful to a narrow era in early 30's when seaplanes were cutting edge science. Howls is in similar mood to spirited away.

Yeah, the films definitely loses a bit of it's Japanese soul if you watch the dubbed versions. The Ghibli dubs are pretty alright compared to most anime dubs though (although Dawson's Creek voicing the boy in Castle in the Sky was a really bad choice) so they kinda make for good gateway watching before switching to the original language permanently.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We should probably fire off dedicated threads for Shinkai, Kon, Otomo, Tezuka and Hosoda as well. :drool:

All five tend to get marginalized from a broader perspective because of the sheer brilliance of Isao Takahata and Miyazaki, and the appeal of Ghibli Studio as a whole.

e.g. Hosoda has a great filmography despite being arguably the least accomplished member of the lot, and his all-inclusive movies are a good gateway for folks who aren't big anime watchers:

So much thematic variance with that quintet, too - from cyber and steampunk Sci-Fi for Otomo to psychological thrillers for Kon.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
We should probably fire off dedicated threads for Shinkai, Kon, Otomo, Tezuka and Hosoda as well. :drool:

All five tend to get marginalized from a broader perspective because of the sheer brilliance of Isao Takahata and Miyazaki, and the appeal of Ghibli Studio as a whole.

e.g. Hosoda has a great filmography despite being arguably the least accomplished member of the lot, and his all-inclusive movies are a good gateway for folks who aren't big anime watchers:

So much thematic variance with that quintet, too - from cyber and steampunk Sci-Fi for Otomo to psychological thrillers for Kon.
You forgot about Oshii.

Kon's the only one really who's got a consistent enough filmography to rival Ghibli. Shinkai is too flawed, Otomo has got Akira and some parts in collaborative films but not much else. Did Tezuka ever make feature films? I've only seen some shorts.

I haven't seen enough of Hosoda to pass judgement. Summer Wars was decent but not much more.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

I've only recently got into Hosada through The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, a simply gorgeous film.
When I have some time i'll go through and explore more of his stuff, particularly Wolf Children which i've heard nothing but good things about.

space

Greatest director of all time in my opinion. His films are magic

space

If you guys get the chance, watch the documentary Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, it is beautiful, sad and inspiring all at once. Really shows how his mind works and how much he dislikes the modern world and gets joy in the smallest things.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You forgot about Oshii.

Kon's the only one really who's got a consistent enough filmography to rival Ghibli. Shinkai is too flawed, Otomo has got Akira and some parts in collaborative films but not much else. Did Tezuka ever make feature films? I've only seen some shorts.

I haven't seen enough of Hosoda to pass judgement. Summer Wars was decent but not much more.
Ah, totally forgot about Oshii - just slipped my mind. He definitely belongs in the elite tier - probably Top 3 for being a true visionary, all things considered. Read somewhere that he's a massive Tarkovsky as well. Figures...
Avalon’s aesthetic is a confluence of the defining characteristics of Oshii’s most formative inspirations, emulating the copper-sepia palette of Tarkovsky’s Stalker and the sensory-amplifying technology of Marker’s La Jetée
Link

Wrt. Otomo, he has Stink Bomb, Cannon Fodder, Steamboy, and Magnetic Rose too...as well as a ton collaborative work - as you pointed out. Reckon he deserves some sort of acclaim for that, as well as the fact that Akira is one of if not arguably the most influential anime movies ever. As for Hosoda, I kinda put the critical lenses down in his case - he is what he is - more fast-food than imperial feast, but while his movies don't have a lot of depth and don't capture you imagination - they're a enjoyable watch for the most part from an adolescent perspective and stirred me in a way that a lot of the others didn't.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Ah, totally forgot about Oshii - just slipped my mind. He definitely belongs in the elite tier - probably Top 3 for being a true visionary, all things considered. Read somewhere that he's a massive Tarkovsky as well. Figures...

Link

Wrt. Otomo, he has Stink Bomb, Cannon Fodder, Steamboy, and Magnetic Rose too...as well as a ton collaborative work - as you pointed out. Reckon he deserves some sort of acclaim for that, as well as the fact that Akira is one of if not arguably the most influential anime movies ever. As for Hosoda, I kinda put the critical lenses down in his case - he is what he is - more fast-food than imperial feast, but while his movies don't have a lot of depth and don't capture you imagination - they're a enjoyable watch for the most part from an adolescent perspective and stirred me in a way that a lot of the others didn't.
Yeah, you can definitely sense a European arthouse cinema influence prevailing in Oshii's films. I still need to watch the Patlabor films.

Home&Away

I quite liked princess kaguya out of some of the more recent ones.

For me the past epic story where you get lost in the wonderland is definitely mononoke & spirited away.

Favourite amine films are akira, ninja scroll, ghost in the shell - really takes you away from the daily Hollywood seen it all before type of stuff.

Ubik

Nope, should I be?
Nope, though feel for the people in Japan who watched Fireflies and Totoro as a double bill when they were originally released, and were so saddened by Fireflies that it ruined Totoro :lol:

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Spirited Away easily my favourite. Adore that film

Shout out to Howl's Moving Castle though. Certainly not his best - generally considered to be his "worst"- but i have a soft spot for the one.

dellboyy

If anyone happens to be in Tokyo and gets the chance, make sure to visit Studio Ghibli. Amazing place, the wall showing various storyboards always sticks in my head. Each frame was like a watercoloured piece of art on its own!

Be warned though, as a visitor you have to get tickets well ahead of time before you leave the your country, or you won't get in.

Ubik

(Not Miyazaki but can't see another Ghibli thread)

Fireflies and Only Yesterday were among my favourite Ghiblis. RIP.