Healthcare

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
But...I thought Canada's healthcare system was widely praised?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Canadian healthcare compared to european is bad. But Ill take it anytime compared to the US where I should pay shitloads for private insurance to not be covered 100% and medicines costs 10 fold in some occasions

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

We have a shortage of family doctors. This pushes people to ERs for things that really don't need an ER visit.

Adding more GPs could alleviate this somewhat but that has its own challenges and you'd still have people going to the ER because they have hemorrhoids (I have seen this, twice even).

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
We have a shortage of family doctors. This pushes people to ERs for things that really don't need an ER visit.

Adding more GPs could alleviate this somewhat but that has its own challenges and you'd still have people going to the ER because they have hemorrhoids (I have seen this, twice even).
Is it anything like over here where seemingly every GP practice is filled with part-time or locum staff?

Dr. Dwayne

Is it anything like over here where seemingly every GP practice is filled with part-time or locum staff?
It depends where you are. Here in Toronto I think most GPs are fairly established and unable to take new patients unless you marry one of their existing ones (this is how I got mine). I'd imagine this is the same in other major cities.

When you get into rural areas or the far north then those locum/rotational type of placements will be more common because well paid young professionals don't want to live in Neepawa, Manitoba, at least for long.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It depends where you are. Here in Toronto I think most GPs are fairly established and unable to take new patients unless you marry one of their existing ones (this is how I got mine). I'd imagine this is the same in other major cities.

When you get into rural areas or the far north then those locum/rotational type of placements will be more common because well paid young professionals don't want to live in Neepawa, Manitoba, at least for long.
UK.

I can't remember the last time I saw a GP that was actually working in their own office. Probably going back to 2017/2018.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Sorry, I meant where you are in Canada, mate.
Ah right, got you.

I imagine it's similar here. When I lived in Cardiff my local GP had the same set of doctors all of the time. Since I've moved, every single appointment has started with "sorry, this isn't my office".

Dr. Dwayne

Ah right, got you.

I imagine it's similar here. When I lived in Cardiff my local GP had the same set of doctors all of the time. Since I've moved, every single appointment has started with "sorry, this isn't my office".
Could well be.

It's tough. Becoming a doc requires a lot of intelligence, effort and dedication. Not many people can or want to go through all of that, yet our population keeps growing and needs more doctors.

Here in Canada we import a ton of our healthcare workers. For a while when I was in University it seemed like every doctor I saw at walk in clinics was South African. These days we have a high number of Filipino nurses, with a permanent resident program that incentivizes them to come here and works with their schools to get the best students.

It makes me wonder what changes we could make to our own education systems or societies to get people who are from here to enter these career paths. (Don't take that wrongly, people, I think it's bad for rich countries to poach the best healthcare talent from less wealthy ones, they need doctors and nurses, too!)