Henrikh Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final

Nick7

Forgive my ignorance, but why are they playing a European Final in an Asian nation? Are we going to start seeing CL Finals in America?

Both teams should refuse to go and just play it at Wembley. Far easier for fans and clubs.
Azerbaijan are Europe aligned. They're part of UEFA.

Agree with your second paragraph.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Forgive my ignorance, but why are they playing a European Final in an Asian nation? Are we going to start seeing CL Finals in America?

Both teams should refuse to go and just play it at Wembley. Far easier for fans and clubs.
Because Azerbaijan is a member of UEFA and that's what matters when they're making that decision.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Get your shit together UEFA. It's not acceptable to choose venues where some players have to be afraid to go because of their nationality or ethnicity.
Absolutely right - there are plenty of good stadiums in European countries where you wouldn't have to worry about the nationality of one of your players.

harms

Staff
And yes, I am blaming both clubs as well. Chelsea and Arsenal should release a joint statement saying they will only play the match if Mkhitaryan can travel and his safety is guaranteed.
Azerbaijan actually guarantees his safety, so there's no way Arsenal or anyone else can legally boycott this. I can understand Mkhitaryan's decision though.

BAKU, Azerbaijan (AP) — Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry indicated Friday that Arsenal midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan can play in the Europa League final in Baku despite tension between Azerbaijan and his native Armenia.

Asked about Mkhitaryan, ministry spokeswoman Leyla Abdullayeva told The Associated Press that “many major sports events have been hosted in Azerbaijan, and Armenian athletes have taken part in them. Sports and politics are separate.”

UEFA said Friday that it had received assurances from Azerbaijan’s soccer governing body, but didn’t mention a government commitment.

“Assurances were sought on this matter by UEFA and Arsenal FC, with the Azerbaijan Football Association confirming that there would be no problem for the player in question to enter and stay in Azerbaijan and that all necessary security measures would be in place,” UEFA said in emailed comments.′

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Although tbf, a Twix is fifty quid at Wembley.

ken11

He already scored and won a Europa final. Might have made the decision easier for him and his family.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'd imagine there must be at least a handful of British-Armenians who support Arsenal or Chelsea and are going to be unable to attend the final. Utter disgrace.

harms

Staff
What assurances were arsenal looking for here beyond a statement from the Foreign Ministry? An armed guard?
I don't know. But, as I said, I can understand Mkhitaryan's decision. I mean, look at the Ramil Safarov story.

dove

I don't have an issue about the location of the final, Azerbaijan is a member of UEFA and if they have a good stadium, why not, you can't always play in the same countries. The biggest problem is ticket allocation which is ridiculous, finals hardly have any real fans who followed the team home & away all the way up until the final. Tickets are given to sponsors and other rich people instead.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Uefa should categorically never allow a country in the euro zone the chance to host if they deny entry or create dangerous conditions to nationals of another country within that same zone.

I like the idea of having this played @ Wembley.

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair, both clubs should refuse to play this game in Baku for many reasons, not just Mikhitaryan.

What could UEFA do if they just said “We’ll play this game at Wembley instead” and the FA were fine with it?

arnie_ni

Are you piers Morgan

I would rather @Arsenal pull out of the Europa League Final than for @HenrikhMkh to be left behind for 'security reasons'.
This is an absolute disgrace entirely of @uefa's making.

matt10000

Arsenal and Chelsea should both decline to go there if a player cannot travel due to their nationality.
It would be great if they did but UEFA would probably jump at the chance to stop the English dominance of the finals and ban both clubs letting the other semi finalists play it out.

This is bigger than football it is about freedom and values. If all the major European clubs threatened to pull out of Europe next season and start their own alternate competition UEFA may back down but it won't happen, I don't know if any other clubs have even made any noise about it but this could happen to any club. Arsenal and Chelsea have a duty to their shareholders and aren't going to risk losing a potential £100 million champions league campaign next season seeing as English clubs have a really good chance of getting far based on this seasons form.

Basically UEFA are a disgrace and should make a statement to the world by moving the final to elsewhere but they probably won't as money talks as usual.

So, if it is to go ahead as planned, it would be nice to see Arsenal and Chelsea fans unite in showing their disgust to the world TV cameras throughout the game by displaying neutral coloured banners and scarfs etc......they could produce rainbow coloured Arsenal and rainbow coloured Chelsea scarfs to show that no matter what colour your team wears, what colour people skin are or no matter where they are from they are equal.......every TV commentator throughout the world would have to explain the scarfs. Both clubs could easily afford to make 5000 of these each and give out to the fans for free!

Web of Bissaka

That's fairly reasonable.
Better be safe than risk this kind of things.

I assume Mkhi already help Arsenal in some way to reach the final, and Arsenal is still strong enough without him, so shouldn't be a problem.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Has UEFA ever given a reason for the choice of location? It just doesn't make any sense. Feel for Mkhitaryan, the average player doesn't get many opportunities to play in a final like this.

Basso

Back in 2004 at a NATO event in Hungary an Armenian was murdered by Ramil Safarov. The killer is now a national hero in Azerbaijan with a job for life and a free apartment.
UEFA is at fault here big time!

harms

Staff
What could UEFA do if they just said “We’ll play this game at Wembley instead” and the FA were fine with it?
They'd probably cancel the final altogether and/or use 2 other semi-finalists. I mean you know that this is not how the world works, right? If they'll undermine UEFA, UEFA won't let them back into their competitions (including Champions League).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone else annoyed their official statements mentions "Micki" instead of "Mkhi"?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It is bollocks from Arsenal and Micki's part. In these cases like Azerbaijan/Armenia in every discipline it's alwas the players boycotting the sporting events. Everyone knows Azerbaijan can't allow anything to happen to him while the whole world is watching.

Trying to blame Micki's decision on the other country is disgraceful. Anyway both countries need to grow up and get their act together, these continuous occurences of petty nonsense are pathetic.

Basso

At next years Euro 2020! Azerbaijan will host group matches and one 1/4 final four days before the semifinals in London! UEFA love the fans! Any city with such a small airport shouldn't be allowed to host.
Absolute shambles

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't know. But, as I said, I can understand Mkhitaryan's decision. I mean, look at the Ramil Safarov story.
And Karam Sloyan or whatever his name was. Granted, the Safarov story is more relevant to how assurances should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Mkhi is absolutely right not to go. The clubs are right not to make a stand which ultimately can be construed as a stance on a specific 30 year-old conflict (however clearcut it seems to me, not their business). UEFA are morons, there's probably a single Armenian across all EL knockout teams, should have got Arsenal knocked out (lolzy).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They always yell that football and politics shouldn't mix. That's clearly the case here. So why don't they just move the final to a different country. They could even move it to Europe. would be somehow fitting to have the final of a European Cup competition in Europe.

Stadjer

The UEFA/FIFA really shouldnt host these events in countries where these kind of political things are going on. Just host them in stable 'normal' countries.

I get that the UEFA most likely is paid to host it in Azerbaijan and as side effect i guess they hope to make football more popular in that country but why cant they just host it in a stable country with a big football culture.

How many fans will even go to Azerbaijan to see their team play? Personally i dont even know where it is... somewhere near Asia?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They always yell that football and politics shouldn't mix. That's clearly the case here. So why don't they just move the final to a different country. They could even move it to Europe. would be somehow fitting to have the final of a European Cup competition in Europe.
It is in Europe. Unless you're being deliberately dense

lynchie

Just read up on that, and I can definitely see why Mkhi wouldn't want to travel there.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It is bollocks from Arsenal and Micki's part. In these cases like Azerbaijan/Armenia in every discipline it's alwas the players boycotting the sporting events. Everyone knows Azerbaijan can't allow anything to happen to him while the whole world is watching.

Trying to blame Micki's decision on the other country is disgraceful. Anyway both countries need to grow up and get their act together, these continuous occurences of petty nonsense are pathetic.
I'd call the Azeri Ambassador petty, not Mkhi. You can sense his utter contempt and he is a fecking diplomat supposed to be giving assurances not visceral statements.

“This is a Class A event, if our purpose is to play political games around it it is something different, you are being paid as a footballer not a politician, lets leave other issues aside,” he said.

“His problem is that he has visited a military occupied portion of Azerbaijan which in doing so without permission from Azerbijani government.

“This entails consequences including blacklisted by the government. But he will be able to have security and safety guarantees.

“My message to Mkhitaryan would be: you’re a footballer, you want to play football? Go to Baku you are safe there, if you want to play the issue then that’s a different story.

“What I can guarantee is that the Azerbaijan government will do everything what needs to be done and provide safety and security for every fan, player and staff member coming to this game.”

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Mkhi has got great pedigree in the EL his loss will be a blow. UEFA should cancel the final and hand the trophy to Arsenal

LimePark

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know much about the situation in the country, but it seems like the Azerbaijani government is currently on a big push to brand themselves as a "European" holiday destination, using sporting diplomacy. I mean they've had an F1 race for a few years now, which was originally named the "Grand Prix of Europe" :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It was mostly a sarcastic dig towards UEFA's policy.

Also, I understand that they want to include all Europe affiliated in hosting finals, but a country with considerable tensions towards another Europe affiliated country seems like a very poor choice. And Mkhitaryan missing this final illustrates that.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It's not particularly controversial to suggest that Azerbaijan is not in Europe. Geographically speaking, it really isn't.

Hostekule

Had it been a CL final would he have traveled despite the security risks?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not particularly controversial to suggest that Azerbaijan is not in Europe. Geographically speaking, it really isn't.
Another part of the problem.

While it's quite clear that football is hardly about the match going fans anymore, this is simply a giant feck you to people who want to attend the final.

El Zoido

Should never be held in Baku. Money has totally corrupted football, the ticket allocation is a joke and the stadium looks like it belongs in the 1980’s. Feck UEFA.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Another part of the problem.

While it's quite clear that football is hardly about the match going fans anymore, this is simply a giant feck you to people who want to attend the final.
Not a single soul would've cared if the final was Besiktas vs Dinamo Kiev being held in Dublin and that's the same amount of travelling. No one would've made a deal out of this if the final was Frankfurt vs Valencia either.

Agreed that it shouldn't be held in Baku though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is though. Geographically speaking, it's a transcontinental country like Russia (so part of it is in Europe). Political and organization wise? It absolutely is. There are other issues here beside location of the final. Moscow, Istanbul and Kiev have hosted European finals in the past without any issues due to geography.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not a single soul would've cared if the final was Besiktas vs Dinamo Kiev being held in Dublin and that's the same amount of travelling. No one would've made a deal out of this if the final was Frankfurt vs Valencia either.

Agreed that it shouldn't be held in Baku though.
I think it would actually not be a bad idea to nominate several venues for the final and chose the definitive one, once you know who's in it. Though I suppose that would be harder than it sounds?